Metal Storm logo
The Unholy Trinity: Paradise Lost, Anathema and My Dying Bride

Original post

Posted by ravendeath, 28.01.2012 - 00:19
In the late 80's and early 90's there was something special in the air in the UK and those three bands were born and provided us with sounds that were latter categorized as Doom Gothic etc. metal. Now they have taken different approaches to music, defining new styles and survived all those years and remained on the top of popularity among the lovers of darker sound of metal music. Vote for your favourite band and if you can explain why...

Poll

The most significant pioneer of gothic doom metal is...

Paradise Lost
My Dying Bride
Anathema

Total votes: 57
29.04.2012 - 23:18
Polaria

I can tell you the term was not used in 1995 in the French metal press. I remember a review for the first album of Theatre of Tragedy describing it as "some kind of linear and lyrical doom" followed by "in a similar vein we would rather advise you the new album of the Gathering". The term started to be used around 1997-1998.
Now I do not know how the press outside France described those bands. The information was actually quite difficult to get, as there was no Internet yet.
----
Life is all the pain we endeavour.
29.04.2012 - 23:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Polaria on 29.04.2012 at 23:18

I can tell you the term was not used in 1995 in the French metal press. I remember a review for the first album of Theatre of Tragedy describing it as "some kind of linear and lyrical doom" followed by "in a similar vein we would rather advise you the new album of the Gathering". The term started to be used around 1997-1998.
Now I do not know how the press outside France described those bands. The information was actually quite difficult to get, as there was no Internet yet.

In the Aardschok (Dutch metal press and Metldown/Watt as well even though they weren't around any mor ein 1995) the term Gothic Metal was used. Funny to see a difference between different countries/languages in that sense.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.05.2012 - 00:13
Mr. Blonde

Voted for Paradise Lost. If' I'm mistaken in them being the most influential of the those 3, that is probably just due to my perspective and that everything is relevant to one's time and place when they first heard a band. I remember Paradise Lost in the 90's. Being all from the U.K. all 3 bands should have made their way to my ears in the U.S. But Paradise Lost was the only one that did at the time that I can recall. As for MDB and Anathema, while I like them too and feel that MDB probably had the strongest overall albums (Turn Loose the Swans, Angel & Dark River, etc...) the thing is I didn't know they existed back in the mid 90's when they were putting out some great material that I didn't discover for nearly another decade.
So album strength, I would say My Dying Bride. But in terms of "pioneering" and spreading their sound and influence globally, I picked PL.
22.05.2012 - 17:54
Dàibh

My preference of the three for doom mongering is My Dying Bride...

...My favorite band of the three, generally, is Anathema.
06.10.2012 - 01:02
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
The band that I enjoy the most is Anathema, although I think Paradise Lost was more influential, and they are a close second. I also like My Dying Bride too.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
08.10.2012 - 18:26
Aristarchos

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.04.2012 at 13:54

Written by Guest on 30.01.2012 at 19:32

Written by BloodTears on 30.01.2012 at 19:02

When was Anathema gothic? I'm just wondering. Doom, sure but gothic I don't see it.

the roots of gothic metal are in doom so in the early days of gothic metal, the lines between the two genres were quite blurred, so...

wrong the roots of gothic metal are in gothic rock (bands such as The Children, The Southern Deathcult, Sisters Of Mercy) which had quite strong bonds with punk.

I would say that gothic metal evolved from death doom rather than from gothic rock. Although it has the name in common with gothic rock, I don't think it musically sounds the same, and I think that gothic metal isn't the same as gothic rock played heavy enough to be metal, rather a genre of it's own. I think that gothic metal mainly developed from Paradise Lost's "Gothic" album, which is more death doom metal than gothic rock. And a genre doesn't always have it's roots in only one genre, and some of the bands in gothic metal were also influenced by gothic rock, but I don't think that is the genre's main root.

Of the bands in the poll I would say that Paradise Lost definitely is the most influential of them, especially because their "Gothic" album. My favourite band of them I would say is Anathema, if only because of their brilliant "The Silent Enigma" album. I think they become relatively boring when they lost their weight, but I haven't been a big fan of Paradise Lost either. Their debut is my favourite. With My Dying Bride I think they have many great songs, but not any entire album that I love.
08.10.2012 - 19:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Aristarchos on 08.10.2012 at 18:26

I would say that gothic metal evolved from death doom rather than from gothic rock. Although it has the name in common with gothic rock, I don't think it musically sounds the same, and I think that gothic metal isn't the same as gothic rock played heavy enough to be metal, rather a genre of it's own. I think that gothic metal mainly developed from Paradise Lost's "Gothic" album...

which owes an incredible lot to Sisters Of Mercy. Even NIck said so at the time that the biggest influence for the Gothic album was Andrew Eldritch and his band SIsters Of Mercy
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.10.2012 - 12:34
Aristarchos

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.10.2012 at 19:30

which owes an incredible lot to Sisters Of Mercy. Even NIck said so at the time that the biggest influence for the Gothic album was Andrew Eldritch and his band SIsters Of Mercy

Yes, Sisters Of Mercy and gothic rock is one root of gothic metal, but I think it is wrong like you said that it is wrong to say that doom is a root for gothic metal. Let us just say that both are roots of the genre. And for a band like Theatre Of Tragedy who is usually considered gothic metal, I'm not sure how much they have in common with gothic rock.
10.10.2012 - 20:45
Branzig

Paradise Lost. Gothic. Mmmm

It's easily one of my favorite doom releases and I love the mixing and production. It also is the first album to really get me into doom...so it kinda holds a special place in my cold little heart.
----
In Grind We Crust
23.10.2012 - 16:13
ToMegaTherion

I'm not totally sure of the connection in this band battle other than they all have similar Death/Doom roots.... In which case, where is Katatonia. Honestly they would have my vote here with My Dying Bride a close second. Sadly Katatonia are not here and therefor my vote much then go to MDB.
23.10.2012 - 17:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by ToMegaTherion on 23.10.2012 at 16:13

I'm not totally sure of the connection in this band battle other than they all have similar Death/Doom roots.... In which case, where is Katatonia. Honestly they would have my vote here with My Dying Bride a close second. Sadly Katatonia are not here and therefor my vote much then go to MDB.

Katatonia are not here because they were never part of the Peaceville Three, just Google that term

It's a bit like complaining why Testament isn't in the Big Four Of Thrash
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.10.2012 - 13:59
ToMegaTherion

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.10.2012 at 17:04

Written by ToMegaTherion on 23.10.2012 at 16:13

Katatonia are not here because they were never part of the Peaceville Three, just Google that term

that makes sense now
27.10.2017 - 14:18
frons79

Voted for Paradise Lost simply because with their second release (Gothic, 1991) they set most of the features of what, later, will be labelled as Gothic Metal. At that time MDB were still to release their first album while Anathema were even in their demo days...
27.10.2017 - 14:25
frons79

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.10.2012 at 17:04

Testament came chronologically later than the Big Four, and sold less than them.
01.11.2017 - 13:49
nikarg

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.10.2012 at 19:30

qft
A bunch of metal bands were influenced by the Sisters, early Cure, Joy Division, etc. in the 1990s. Even Kreator
I voted for Paradise Lost because I consider them the best of the three and they were the first to emerge.
01.11.2017 - 15:27
VIG
Account deleted
Written by nikarg on 01.11.2017 at 13:49

early Cure

I think The Cure has influenced something from all music genres
01.11.2017 - 15:53
nikarg

Written by Guest on 01.11.2017 at 15:27

I think The Cure has influenced something from all music genres