Reviewer:

50 users:
Band: Liberteer
Album: Better To Die On Your Feet Than Live On Your Knees
Style: Grindcore
Release date: January 2012

01. The Falcon Cannot Hear The Falconer
02. Build No System
03. Without Blazon (Is The Flag I Hold Up And Do Not Wag)
04. We Are Not Afraid Of Ruins
05. Class War Never Meant More Than It Does Now
06. Rise Like Lions After Slumber
07. That Which Is Not Given But Taken
08. Better To Die On Your Feet Than Live On Your Knees
09. Usurious Epitaph
10. Revolution's Wick Burning Quick
11. 99 To 1
12. Sweat For Blood
13. Barbarians At The Gate
14. When We Can't Dream Any Longer
15. It Is The Secret Curse Of Power That It Becomes Fatal
16. I Am Spartacus
17. Feast Of Industry

Dear every other grind album yet to come out in 2012; you can fuck right off.

Love, Doc

Ok, so picture this, right, you're sitting there, blasting some pretty solid grindcore; grooving, bouncing riffs just hooking you in, then as you're starting to ask yourself "Where is this going to go from here?" A fucking trumpet comes out of left field. Yes, folks, you read it right - a mutherfucking trumpet. Then it just twists into some banjo shit, like it's the goddamn Civil War or something, then busts back into some ragin' grind. Shit, now do I hear mandolin?!

Now, here you're thinking; Oh, fuck me, another gimmick? No, sir. Yes, Liberteer do add dashes of other instruments in there to spice things up, but they only add these parts in sparsely, to keep you guessing when they're going to pop up next. Indeed, they are something to keep you anxiously awaiting the next twist, but the in-between moments ain't bad either. In fact, they shouldn't even be considered "in-between"; the riffs are solid, and catchy enough on their own, built up into those pump-up sort of chanting anthems that this would be an excellent album without the added spice of...Well, all those other surprises. Hell, there's even a few uplifting, melodic leads which you don't see in grind too often.

You thought you didn't like grind? Well, shut your pie-hole and give this a listen. Better To Die On Your Feet Than Live On Your Knees embodies qualities which are the antitheses of grind, while simultaneously being grind. Don't understand? Listen to Liberteer for some enlightenment.

Written on 01.02.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 21   Visited by: 371 users
01.02.2012 - 10:32
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Seems like something I should enjoy. Although I gotta admit that I stilll see it as gimmick but like you said, if they back it up with "in-between" moments that have so much quality that can't even be labeled as "in-between" moments, they can at least back it up and that's good.

Seems like this will be another fine year for grindcore.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.02.2012 - 12:58
veeja

I'm so glad you reviewed this, I've had a promotional copy for a while and I checked to see If you had any details on the band on Monday, but they were not in the system. When I had some time I was going to try an add them to the database as I have quite a bit of information about them, but you have beaten me to it. Great review, I think what set's them apart from other grindcore outfits that use other styles of music, sounds, samples etc: Is that while most bands add them without any thought, Liberteer incorporate them into their own sound for the sake of the songs, rather than a gimmick to make them sound different.
01.02.2012 - 13:58
Absak

I liked it somewhat, but it's nothing mindblowing. I'd rate it somewhere between a 7 and a 8.
01.02.2012 - 14:37
BlueMobius
Account deleted
I don't really see the trumpets and stuff as a gimmick. Since the album has an anarchistic theme and the lyrics are about rebelling against your country, by violence if necessary, the parts with other instruments are supposed to serve as battle tunes, in the same vein as Yankee Doodle and other patriotic/nationalistic songs you can compare to war times. The album booklet even contains training montages, that humorously tell the listener how to turn the jewel case into a shiv, the booklet into a car bomb, etc. While the violent imagery is to be taken with a sense of humor, Matthew Widener's music/lyrics here are an attempt to plant the seed of anarchist revolutionary thought.
01.02.2012 - 14:57
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Troy was right in claiming that Doc Godin is the among the harshest reviewers in MS. Not that i'm obsessed with ratings but, a 9.2 from Doc ... o.O INTRIGUING!!
01.02.2012 - 19:39
maged918

Wow , I dislike grind , but I'll definitely give this a listen after I'm finished with what I'm listening to right now.
01.02.2012 - 20:34
Fredd
Account deleted
Sounds interesting.
01.02.2012 - 21:23
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I listened to a few tracks and was intrigued, sounded really good!

Nice review.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.02.2012 - 01:07
Rating: 8
DelightfulJim

Added to my "to eventually listen to" list.
02.02.2012 - 03:30
Rating: 10
Metal_Buff

Got this the second it came out, after a good interview in Decibel got my attention. I'd complain about the 28 minute run time, but I'd rather spin this twice in a row (I have!) than risk having more tracks that spread the album too far. You'll hear lots of themes and riffs repeated throughout, which combined with the social anarchist theme makes this a very rewarding listen as an album only.

I love the old Swedish death guitar tone as well, my favorite sound in a new format... Perhaps this album was just made for me (Hell, the first track title is a line from my favorite poem!) But I think many others will find something to love here as well, I'm not even into grindcore!
02.02.2012 - 12:02
Rating: 6
atrox

Um, to my mind it's a quite mediocre album. Rather between 6-7. OK, there are some unordinary elements, but they don't really shine and songwriting is not that good.
02.02.2012 - 20:01
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Whoa man..... im speechless...

What a work of genius... it deserves 10/10 right away.....

Whoa man....im still speechless...!!!!
04.02.2012 - 15:54
Absak

Written by Metal_Buff on 02.02.2012 at 03:30

I love the old Swedish death guitar tone as well, my favorite sound in a new format...

A much better grind album with the swedish death metal tone is Magrudergrind's self titled.
05.02.2012 - 04:53
Void Eater
Account deleted
Listened to this album on their Bandcamp, and its a great album and all, but the songs seemed to end really abruptly. Did they cut out part of the songs on it? Asking anybody who owns a physical copy.
05.02.2012 - 07:56
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 05.02.2012 at 04:53

Listened to this album on their Bandcamp, and its a great album and all, but the songs seemed to end really abruptly. Did they cut out part of the songs on it? Asking anybody who owns a physical copy.

The tracks transition seamlessly on the album. It's hard to tell where one song ends and the other begins unless you are staring at the display on your CD player. It just sounds weird online because the tracks aren't really meant to be singles.
05.02.2012 - 21:51
Lokaeda
Account deleted
I have strictly no idea why, but this reminds me of Swashbuckle. I didn't like it much.
12.02.2012 - 16:50
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Great review, first time I heard the trumpets in Build No System i loved it.
14.02.2012 - 01:12
LordFezzington
Lost To Apathy
Written by Guest on 05.02.2012 at 07:56

Written by Guest on 05.02.2012 at 04:53

The tracks transition seamlessly on the album. It's hard to tell where one song ends and the other begins unless you are staring at the display on your CD player. It just sounds weird online because the tracks aren't really meant to be singles.

I had the same problem listening to it on Spotify: crazy good riff --> trumpets --> crazy good riff --> "Hi, this is Tim from Spotify!" Super annoying.

Eagerly awaiting my CD copy - so I can properly appreciate just how good I think this is. Should arrive this week!
----
"Pay no heed to anyone and do what seems right to yourself." - Franz Kafka, The Trial
2022 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7001
2021 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6742
24.02.2012 - 12:24
Rating: 9
Kuroboshi

This is a seriously infectious grind album. Really awesome! Gonna keep an eye on this guy, and gonna check out Magrudergrind.
02.06.2012 - 16:06
.Nick

Picked it up today, cool album
07.08.2012 - 04:50
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
"you read it right - a mutherfucking trumpet."

Sold, and relistened, solid stuff.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS