Metal Storm logo
Cynic

Original post

Posted by __Az__, 18.05.2006 - 13:47
Their only album 'Focus' blew me away... They are such an original band and are so technical... IMO, the album is a masterpiece and its such a shame that they didnt release another...

Im surprised a topic hasnt been created about them yet, So... what does everyone else think?
19.04.2007 - 02:15
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Though I love Cynic and consider it as one of my favorite bands it's my least favorite of the tech death "big four"(Atheist, Cynic ,Death, Pestilence), for it is least aggressive of those bands, but still they are head and shoulders above most (read: all) modern death metal bands I've heard. Also it seems that many people don't cosider it death metal, which is strange given that in modern times utter shite like Soilwork and all that kind of easily digestible sterile background music is considered death metal by many. Anyway I think that Focus is one of those rare albums which gets better with each subsequent song, and the last two cuts are truly amazing, Textures being my favorite instrumental ever, and How Could I being so beatiful and full of emotion. Also like other tech death bands Cynics's lyrics are far better than usual cheesy death metal cliches like "AAArgh I Descend into the crypt to fuck your corpse senseless" are "All the treasures of sodom now belong to me". Anyway it sucks that all these bands are getting the recognition they deserve only now as maybe if they would have had more fans back in the early 90'ties they wouldn't have disappeared in the first place and would have left behind much greater legacy in the form of some seriously kickass records.
10.05.2007 - 13:13
Nazeef
CYNIC ARE REALLY GREAT, but I saw Atheist last performance at Wacken in 2006, I was really disappointed, even if I admired "unquestionable presence" album, while live, they lack so much perfection!
Cynic are Great!!!!!
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
10.05.2007 - 14:45
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Well it's a Cynic thread, so I'll have to excuse for going offtopic at the moment, but have you seen the Atheist Air live video from Youtube, I seriously reccommend it, it's just amazing, talking about Cynic I think they are a very good band to introduce to people who generally don't listen to metal, as Focus helps to break quite a few prejudices, and is enjoyable to most people who can recognise good music, regardless of their allegiance to metal in general.
10.05.2007 - 16:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
I am so happy that I am finally going to see Cynic live... yes first at hellfest and trying to get tiockets for their club gig in Tilburg, The Netherlands a couple of days later.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.05.2007 - 16:40
Markku
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.05.2007 at 16:06

I am so happy that I am finally going to see Cynic live... yes first at hellfest and trying to get tiockets for their club gig in Tilburg, The Netherlands a couple of days later.

Are the tickets hard to get?
10.05.2007 - 16:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 10.05.2007 at 16:40

They haven't strated selling them yet. But I think it will be quite easy to get hold of, since 013 can hold up to 1,500 people.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.05.2007 - 16:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.05.2007 at 16:41

Written by Guest on 10.05.2007 at 16:40

They haven't strated selling them yet. But I think it will be quite easy to get hold of, since 013 can hold up to 1,500 people.

Okay just checked on www.013web.nl and it says that ticket sales started on April 21 and that Cynic will play in the smaller venue which can only hold up to 500 people.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.06.2007 - 22:33
ylside
staff
I am glad to say that Cynic played a new song in Hellfest 2007, it's called Evolutionary Sleeper. I've found it rather enjoyable.
26.06.2007 - 23:03
Deadsoulman
elite
Yeah this song sounded good, a bit like Porcupine Tree if I had to dare a comparison. I thought it went quite well along the rest of the show (in which hey played Focus almost in its entirety). Cynic was one of the very great moments of Hellfest,along with Atheist. The old farts are still kicking

I bought Focus a few hours ago btw.
26.06.2007 - 23:23
ylside
staff
Urgh I still have to find it. . Great, Great, GREAT show at Hellfest.
26.06.2007 - 23:34
Deadsoulman
elite
I found it on Amazon for 8.85?. You may want to consider this option
27.06.2007 - 07:45
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Written by ylside on 26.06.2007 at 23:23

Urgh I still have to find it. . Great, Great, GREAT show at Hellfest.

Bastid you made the fest, awesome !! REVIEW i need a big one .......
28.06.2007 - 00:42
graywolf87
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 19.04.2007 at 02:15

Though I love Cynic and consider it as one of my favorite bands it's my least favorite of the tech death "big four"(Atheist, Cynic ,Death, Pestilence), for it is least aggressive of those bands, but still they are head and shoulders above most (read: all) modern death metal bands I've heard. Also it seems that many people don't cosider it death metal, which is strange given that in modern times utter shite like Soilwork and all that kind of easily digestible sterile background music is considered death metal by many. Anyway I think that Focus is one of those rare albums which gets better with each subsequent song, and the last two cuts are truly amazing, Textures being my favorite instrumental ever, and How Could I being so beatiful and full of emotion. Also like other tech death bands Cynics's lyrics are far better than usual cheesy death metal cliches like "AAArgh I Descend into the crypt to fuck your corpse senseless" are "All the treasures of sodom now belong to me". Anyway it sucks that all these bands are getting the recognition they deserve only now as maybe if they would have had more fans back in the early 90'ties they wouldn't have disappeared in the first place and would have left behind much greater legacy in the form of some seriously kickass records.

...thank you
28.06.2007 - 09:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Their show at Hellfest was great, and like has been said the new song Evolutionary Sleeper is also very good.

Going to see them again tonight, but now at a club and I suspect them not to be as rusty as on hellfest (since that was their first show in 13 years)
Before the gig I'll be interviewing Cynic, so look out for a Cynic interview on Metal Storm soon.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.06.2007 - 21:54
ylside
staff
http://www.cynic.info.se/

Goddamn, The Dingbells show must be their best, they even played Textures and... MEETING OF THE SPIRITS !!! (Mahavishnu Orchestra) I'm a bit jealous of the british audiance now haha. Can't stop 'tilll you get enough, said Michael Jackson lol.

Dingwalls set list

Veil Of Maya
Celestial Voyage
The Eagle Nature
Sentiment
I'm But A Wave To
Evolutionary Sleeper
Textures
Uroboric Forms
Cosmos
Meeting Of The Spirits
How Could I

I just .
29.06.2007 - 22:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by ylside on 29.06.2007 at 21:54

Goddamn, The Dingbells show must be their best, they even played Textures and... MEETING OF THE SPIRITS !!! (Mahavishnu Orchestra) I'm a bit jealous of the british audiance now haha. Can't stop 'tilll you get enough, said Michael Jackson lol.

Dingwalls set list

Veil Of Maya
Celestial Voyage
The Eagle Nature
Sentiment
I'm But A Wave To
Evolutionary Sleeper
Textures
Uroboric Forms
Cosmos
Meeting Of The Spirits
How Could I

I just .

That is the exact same set they played yesterday night ;-)
And, yes, they ALWAYS play the Focus songs in order, so as not to disturb the natural flow of the songs (those were Paul's words yesterday before the conert)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.06.2007 - 23:12
Markku
Account deleted
Written by ylside on 29.06.2007 at 21:54

Dingwalls set list

Veil Of Maya
Celestial Voyage
The Eagle Nature
Sentiment
I'm But A Wave To
Evolutionary Sleeper
Textures
Uroboric Forms
Cosmos
Meeting Of The Spirits
How Could I

I just .

I'm a bit curious about one thing, I've heard Textures' intro is played with chapman stick...You can guess what my question would be.
30.06.2007 - 00:12
ylside
staff
Samples. Heard it on the cynic bootlegs I have, didn't sound bad. The first two guitar lines dubs that is. I hope someone will upload some videos from that british gig..
01.07.2007 - 20:20
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
elite
Video footage from Cynic performing at 013 in Tilburg (Holland) has been posted at YouTube with two songs: 'How Could I' and 'Uroboric Forms'.
01.07.2007 - 20:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by White Winter Sun on 01.07.2007 at 20:20

Video footage from Cynic performing at 013 in Tilburg (Holland) has been posted at YouTube with two songs: 'How Could I' and 'Uroboric Forms'.

Thx, good to see some stuff from that gig, it was awesome. And the guy doing extra vocals on Uroboric Forms was a contest winner who sang a song with the band on stage. Cynic also has another contest winner on stage with them in Paris and some other cities.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.07.2007 - 20:56
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.07.2007 at 20:43

Thx, good to see some stuff from that gig, it was awesome. And the guy doing extra vocals on Uroboric Forms was a contest winner who sang a song with the band on stage. Cynic also has another contest winner on stage with them in Paris and some other cities.

Thanks man

And as you like them (as lot of us here ), professionally filmed video footage of Cynic's concert at Hovefestivalen in Arendal (Norway) has been posted at the NRK P3 web site here (to direct acces on Cynic's performence, choose "Fredag" from the pull-down menu in the upper right-hand corner, then click on "Spill" below Cynic's name). Enjoy.

Of course a lot of other bands performence are available.
02.07.2007 - 21:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by White Winter Sun on 02.07.2007 at 20:56

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.07.2007 at 20:43

Thanks man

And as you like them (as lot of us here ), professionally filmed video footage of Cynic's concert at Hovefestivalen in Arendal (Norway) has been posted at the NRK P3 web site here (to direct acces on Cynic's performence, choose "Fredag" from the pull-down menu in the upper right-hand corner, then click on "Spill" below Cynic's name). Enjoy.

Of course a lot of other bands performence are available.

Wow that link is great. Shame it was daytime though.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.07.2007 - 23:07
ylside
staff
Now, the only thing remaining for Cynic to do is to release the demos on a compilation CD. I hope Kelly Schaefer (or anyone else) will be able to do that for us! some songs in the demos are absolutly amazing.
02.07.2007 - 23:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by ylside on 02.07.2007 at 23:07

Now, the only thing remaining for Cynic to do is to release the demos on a compilation CD. I hope Kelly Schaefer (or anyone else) will be able to do that for us! some songs in the demos are absolutly amazing.

I have my doubts because of what Paul told me about how he feels about releasing the demos.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.07.2007 - 17:40
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.07.2007 at 23:12

I have my doubts because of what Paul told me about how he feels about releasing the demos.

I'm not surprised, Cynic has always been a talented band, however, their reunion is nothing more than a reunion tour to support some European fests as The Hellfest and W:O:A. I hope they will forge another landmark release for us one day. In fact, we are waiting for your interview .
03.07.2007 - 23:20
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
elite
Written by ylside on 26.06.2007 at 22:33

I am glad to say that Cynic played a new song in Hellfest 2007, it's called Evolutionary Sleeper. I've found it rather enjoyable.

And for Metalstormers friends here who are not at the Hellfest you can watch Evolutionary Sleeper here.

Or here from the show in Tilburg, 28/06/2007 (NL).
03.07.2007 - 23:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by White Winter Sun on 03.07.2007 at 23:20

Written by ylside on 26.06.2007 at 22:33

And for Metalstormers friends here who are not at the Hellfest you can watch Evolutionary Sleeper here.

Or here from the show in Tilburg, 28/06/2007 (NL).

And thanks once again. Keep up the good work and I might get this concert complete
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.07.2007 - 23:38
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.07.2007 at 23:25

And thanks once again. Keep up the good work and I might get this concert complete

LOL, Marcel.

Then as I am not gifted to create videos, it will be only a small blow of youtube .

Hellfest show and Tilburg show.

About give links, no problems, but about give money, that's no (before anybody ask it to me).
06.07.2007 - 09:40
GhostofSanity
Account deleted
Picked up Focus not too long ago and I've been putting it on heavy rotation. Fantastic album. Never could get the hate for the robot vocals, they are very cool. =D

The new song is very good too. I was surprised that they did it, since I've only read news about doing a festival or two. Awesome. It's good to see a band like Cynic still around.
06.07.2007 - 21:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Anybody interested in the inner workings of Paul Masvidal should read his cynic reunion blog:
http://cynicreunion.blogspot.com/
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996