03. Sin After Sin
04. Old Dirty Paranoia
05. Secret Handshakes
06. Shiver In The Heat
07. We Speak In Tongues
08. Gone To Dust
09. My Enemy
10. To Whore With Foreign Gods

Wolves Like Us is a dark rock band from Norway. They play a music that has the characteristics of metalcore, but without the harsh vocals. That's right: nice, soft, intriguing clean vocals fill this album, that? is a very, very good thing.

When I put my headphones in and gave this album a listen I was surprised, I was expecting your average high-pitched screaming, followed by nasally clean vocals. I was pleasantly surprised when I heard only clean vocals, not those whiney metalcore clean vocals, but rock vocals. As I continued to listen, I found no harsh vocals what-so-ever, the vocalist is extraordinarily good, he has one of the best voices I have heard in a long time. It is definitely a plus.

The next thing that popped out at me when listening to this album were the drums, they were technical, not in a death metal 8000 beats per minute technical, but slow erratic beats. The drumming changes constantly which allows me to keep interest in this album. The guitar work is above average, focusing on high notes, it adds to the great atmosphere this band creates. The bass is also very good; it's groovy and actually audible, which is a major plus.

Overall this album is great, but it's not for the "tr00 kvlt" or the "thrash or die!" metalhead. One must have an open mind to truly respect this master-piece. This is among one of my favourite 2011 releases, and I highly recommend it!

Highlights- "Sin After Sin" and "Burns Like A Paper Rose"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Boxcar Willy | 09.02.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 64 users
09.02.2012 - 05:23
Susan
Smeghead
I never got around to hearing this disc during 2011 and am now deeply regretting it! I've heard some damn good metalcore in the last few years, not much, but enough to make me want to explore the genre more. And then I didn't. Looks like this album is a great opportunity to really start. And you said the magic words: "the vocalist is extraordinarily good, he has one of the best voices I have heard in a long time." Done.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
09.02.2012 - 05:26
Rating: 9
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Susan on 09.02.2012 at 05:23

I never got around to hearing this disc during 2011 and am now deeply regretting it! I've heard some damn good metalcore in the last few years, not much, but enough to make me want to explore the genre more. And then I didn't. Looks like this album is a great opportunity to really start. And you said the magic words: "the vocalist is extraordinarily good, he has one of the best voices I have heard in a long time." Done.

This is a very good album, you won't regret giving it a spin.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.02.2012 - 19:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
They were pretty damn good live when I saw them in december opening for Toxic Holocaust and Kvelertak.

And yes... The thing I was most blown away for were the drums, that dude live is really really good.
Good band indeed. I kind of regret I didn't buy a really awesome tshirt they had but oh well.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.02.2012 - 19:02
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by X-Ray Rod on 09.02.2012 at 19:00

They were pretty damn good live when I saw them in december opening for Toxic Holocaust and Kvelertak.

And yes... The thing I was most blown away for were the drums, that dude live is really really good.
Good band indeed. I kind of regret I didn't buy a really awesome tshirt they had but oh well.

I wish I could see them live, I would for sure buy a shirt.

this album is still one of my fav's, I keep it playing all the time.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.02.2012 - 10:17
Rating: 8
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Post-hardcore I believe is the definition. "Dark rock" doesn't really sound right. It is hardcore, just a very gentle brand of it.

That being said, it is an excellent album. "To Whore With Foreign Gods" has to be my favourite track.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
10.02.2012 - 14:46
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Doc G. on 10.02.2012 at 10:17

Post-hardcore I believe is the definition. "Dark rock" doesn't really sound right. It is hardcore, just a very gentle brand of it.

That being said, it is an excellent album. "To Whore With Foreign Gods" has to be my favourite track.

When I listened to it I found a nice soft band, but I suppose your right.
Also, That's what they labelled themselves on their facebook too, so I thought it was appropriate.
I love "Burns Like A Paper Rose" the best!
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
24.02.2012 - 04:34
Enoch
Account deleted
The hardcore element of this music is certainly disputable, but this is one great album and a must have for me.
01.03.2012 - 15:57
MeloDeathViking

For anyone looking for something similar to this check out these albums:

Crisis, Old Crows/Young Cardinals, and Dog's Blood EP by Alexisonfire
Caution by Hot Water Music

All are post hardcore with great vocals
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
01.03.2012 - 21:21
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by MeloDeathViking on 01.03.2012 at 15:57

I have an utter distain for Alexisonfire.

but I will check Hot Water Music.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
01.03.2012 - 22:10
MeloDeathViking

Written by Boxcar Willy on 01.03.2012 at 21:21

Can I ask if your distain is for their whole catelog, or just their old stuff? I only like a few songs from their first couple albums, but I love everything from Crisis onward. Their style definitely changes and matures with each album. Dog's Blood EP is awesome, I know people that hate AOF that loved that album when I showed it to them. Sadly, they broke up after that, so we'll never know how they would have progressed.

As far as Hot Water Music is concerned, that is still one of my favorite albums. Definitely check it
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
01.03.2012 - 22:16
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by MeloDeathViking on 01.03.2012 at 22:10

Written by Boxcar Willy on 01.03.2012 at 21:21

Can I ask if your distain is for their whole catelog, or just their old stuff?

I just don't like any of it, itall feels fake and just... bleh.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.03.2012 - 13:46
Uldreth

I think I'm gonna grab the occasion here and ask: What the hell is post-hardcore?

I mean, as in, how would you define it?
Nowadays every poppy, (often) electronic-influenced shitty metalcore-type bands that give bad name to the style but definitely sound like metalcore with emo influencs (or more like what is considered emo nowadays) are being referred to as post-hardcore (bands like Attack Attack!, Asking Alexandria, etc. although tbh Asking Alexandria, as bad as it might be, I'd still list it among the more tolerable ones, however there are some in this category I consider to be ok, like From Autumn To Ashes or Sienna Skies)

I have a slight feeling that that is not really post-hardcore at all.
With that said I have seen bands like Rites of Spring or Saetia being labelled as post-hardcore this time I'm not sure if it is a misplaced term or not, however emo (REAL emo) and screamo (in the case of Saetia) are probably better words to describe it.

So what is post-hardcore and how is it set apart from emo or melodic hardcore?
09.02.2013 - 10:09
Rating: 8
Monolithic
♠♠♠
I'm really glad someone got the chance to review this album. It didn't take that long for the album to grow on me. Lars is in fact a great vocalist and I really enjoy his deliverance.

Hits total: 3257 | This month: 9