Metal Storm logo
At The Gates

Original post

Posted by __Az__, 18.05.2006 - 14:17
At The Gates and Thomas Lindberg are one of the pioneers of the melodic death metal genre... IMO they released one of the greatest metal albums of all time: Slaughter Of The Soul... Im sure many people would feel the same...

Its just a shame the band decided to split and go their seperate ways, what does everyone else think?
24.07.2006 - 11:14
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Listening to 'Slaughter Of The Soul' re-issue at the moment. Very tight album, all the band members work so well together and on the dvd that comes with the re-issue Tomas and the guy that seemed like the that mixed it all (or something im not really sure) kept saying that it was all tight and i have to agree with 100%.

Only album ive heard from At The Gates and im pretty impressed with it. Might check out some of the other work if its as good as this. Plus i really liked the cover they did of Slayer's 'Captor of Sin', being a mad Slayer fan i was a little worried but pleased with it.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
24.07.2006 - 15:34
PRIMAL FEAR
Account deleted
I finds that a majority of At The Gates' old material is quite monotonous, particularly "With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness", as for "Slaughter Of The Soul", I regard it as a Melodic Death masterpiece that has been matched by few others in the genre, as the album itself maintains my interest through the songs having varied structures, each unsimilar to any other on the album.
27.07.2006 - 04:41
Robstar

ATG amazing death melodic metal band people!
I only have a cople of their material and it rocks ...
Slaughter of the Soul and The Red in the Sky is ours!
My favorite so far , Slaughter of the Soul!
Their melodies being mixed with that death metal cords and lyrics are awesome !
One of my favorite bands!
Stay Extreme Motherfuckers!
----
Nothing is unreacheable
12.08.2006 - 13:24
Maim

Well I think "Slaughter of the Soul" is pretty damn good, but it's probably my least favorite. The "Gardens of Grief" EP and "The Red in the Sky is Ours" are probably my favorites, but I also love "With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness" and "Terminal Spirit Disease". The GoG EP sounds quite different from their other works, has a much darker atmosphere than any of their other albums IMO.
----
Friends will help you move... REAL friends will help you move bodies...
13.08.2006 - 01:43
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Lately I've been enjoying The Red in the Sky is Ours. It took me a while to get into, but I like it quite a bit now. My favorite album of theirs is still Slaughter of the Soul though.
13.08.2006 - 15:44
Fetid Fetus
Account deleted
At The Gates is pretty much awesome... its been ages since I've listented to them actually.
Slaughter Of The Soul is a really good album. Into the Dead Sky is also among my favourite instrumentals.
10.09.2006 - 18:36
KingCobra
Account deleted
At the Gates are amazing, all their stuff is brilliant...i can't get enough of them.
10.09.2006 - 20:28
Vintervarg
Account deleted
Never liked them. Too boring.
11.09.2006 - 04:30
CianideDeath
Account deleted
Yeah I agree, Vintervarg with the exception that their early more death metal stuff is nice.
14.09.2006 - 08:31
Robstar

Am here again in order to say that At the Gates kicks ass...
I am trying to have all their albums ... so far my favorite slaughter of the soul
Awesome band!
----
Nothing is unreacheable
14.09.2006 - 15:17
Warman
Erotic Stains
Haha, here in Sweden we are so proud over "Slaughter of the Soul" ... every time I get my monthly metal magazine there is always something about that album
----
15.09.2006 - 00:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 10.09.2006 at 20:28

Not so boring how Soilwork and new In Flames but maybe you explain why thay are boring

Maybe all albums are simmilar but still band are amazing and old school melodic death metal, :banger2;
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.09.2006 - 20:01
Veeken
Account deleted
Slaughter of the soul is a masterpiece. One of those albums that never gets old for me. Clearly one of the best metal albums out. Their old stuff is good too, i just can't stand the shitty quality of recording. Kinda kills the experience, but i think if it was recorded a little cleaner the old stuff would be even more killer. Thats true with many band's old albums but what can you do.
20.09.2006 - 20:09
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
"Slaughter Of The Soul" must be the most overrated album on earth, but some of their earlier stuff can be pretty scary, specially "With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness" (pretty good and neurotic album)
13.10.2006 - 14:15
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Nah, I think you should really respect them for what they did to the melo-death sound we have today, they're real pioneers and innovators. But, yeah, I guess today compared to soem stuff out they're not that great, and thus, for some people, overrated. I still really like them though, more so than the later melo-death bands.
14.10.2006 - 23:10
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
At the Gate is a brilliant and unique band who opend the gates for me to the entire metal word, respect for that.
I love all albums, except Slaughter of The Soul, that sounds like all the other typcial shit from sweden, you know, the whole melodic death stuff geting released since 1995. But the other stuff, ah, how I love it...
15.10.2006 - 18:32
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 15.09.2006 at 00:47

Written by Guest on 10.09.2006 at 20:28

Not so boring how Soilwork and new In Flames but maybe you explain why thay are boring

Maybe all albums are simmilar but still band are amazing and old school melodic death metal, :banger2;

whats wrong with Soilwork and newer in Flames?
15.10.2006 - 18:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@JP - Its this sound are more corish and Soilwork i dont like thay remaind me cor eband not melodic death metal band and same newer In Flames, I like first 3 IF albums, but leither ehh
----

apos;'
[image]
15.10.2006 - 18:53
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
i think someone should bring it to the point, they don't sound like a core band, they are now a damn core band.

Now playing: At the Gates - The Red in the Sky Is Ours
15.10.2006 - 19:44
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 15.10.2006 at 18:50

@JP - Its this sound are more corish and Soilwork i dont like thay remaind me cor eband not melodic death metal band and same newer In Flames, I like first 3 IF albums, but leither ehh

huh?
15.10.2006 - 19:48
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
He said:

In Flames = core
Soilwork = core

and he's fucking right.
15.10.2006 - 20:00
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 15.10.2006 at 19:48

He said:

In Flames = core
Soilwork = core

and he's fucking right.

OK!!!!
16.10.2006 - 00:07
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Which is a fucking shame, but that's life.
27.11.2006 - 13:03
crown
Account deleted
Love 'em or not. At The Gates... is a blitering band.
I have only heard Slaughter of the Soul..... but I was quite hooked, that I took a risk on The Haunted.... [that payed off only too well!!!!]
30.06.2007 - 06:35
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Almost a year since I acquired the 'Slaughter Of The Soul' album, I've barely listened to it because its not really too enjoyable to me anymore. The vocals are probably the main reason for this, just not my type that I enjoy and find them almost annoying.

Musically its still alright, but the vocals are just really off putting now.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
18.10.2007 - 21:44
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
At The Gates will reunite for some shows, you can find all the information here:
http://www.atthegates.se/
19.10.2007 - 00:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Damn great news
----

apos;'
[image]
19.10.2007 - 00:30
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Bad English on 19.10.2007 at 00:10

Damn great news

Yeah, although I doubt I would catch them....
----
19.10.2007 - 00:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Stalker on 19.10.2007 at 00:30

Damn great news

It means maybe there be an album or live DVD
----

apos;'
[image]
19.10.2007 - 00:56
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Bad English on 19.10.2007 at 00:36

Written by Stalker on 19.10.2007 at 00:30

Damn great news

It means maybe there be an album or live DVD

I doubt , but it is possible. Ive read that they got hell of lot money to play on wacken...
----