03. Leverage
04. Over The Galvanized
05. Caskets
06. Downside Advantage
07. Scale Of Values
08. Rewatched
09. Paid In Graves
10. The Bricks Went Flying

What a classy hard rock album. Something about Ribozyme is just really anti-ostentatious. It's simultaneously varied & straight forward, hard-driven and catchy, yet slightly understated in a certain way.

There are influences pulled in from across the board, but "eclectic" wouldn't really be an appropriate word to describe them. There's moments of a dark industrial feel, not dissimilar to Nine Inch Nails, a few moments of rolling stoner appeal a la Baroness, a touch or two of some proggy Tool-esque bits, as well as some spacey moments where even a little Pink Floyd appears to be present. The beauty of this mixture? It's really quite homogenous. On close, deliberate inspection, all the influences make themselves very clear. However, when just chilling out and grooving on it (which you should be), Presenting The Problem is a smooth, natural feeling ride.

The softness of the album does get a bit irritating at times. Yeah, yeah. Obviously this is not a death metal album or anything, nor am I expecting it to be. However, there is some really massive, tidal-wave sized riffs here that seem to be really condensed into a more radio-friendly sound. It's hard to describe, the best way to put it succinctly is that this band isn't nearly as explosive as they could be through a lot of this album.

Presenting The Problem is album that manages to draw it's wide array of influences into a really focused, linear piece of music. Want some not boring hard rock? Try Ribozyme on for size.

Written on 17.02.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 131 users
17.02.2012 - 15:13
Milena
gloom cookie
This sounds like something check-out-able.
----
7.0 means the album is good
17.02.2012 - 16:52
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Milena on 17.02.2012 at 15:13

This sounds like something check-out-able.

Indeed, I wish I wasn't at school, or I would YouTube this now.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
17.02.2012 - 18:52
PocketMetal

Oh I see baroness being mentioned and I get a little disappointed , then I see Tool which is my favorite band ... must.check.out .

I also like short reviews like this one

Hits total: 4053 | This month: 7