Sunn O))) - Monoliths & Dimensions

8 | 120 votes |
Release date: 18 May 2009
Style: Dark Ambient , Drone doom metal

Owners:

128 have it
19 want it

01. Aghartha
02. Big Church (Megszentségteleníthetetlenségeskedéseitekért)
03. Hunting & Gathering (Cydonia)
04. Alice

Guest review by
!J.O.O.E.!
Rating:
It's drone, Jim, but not as we know it. One of metal's most theatrical and divisive sonic-generators, Sunn O))), return to greet us with what is often regarded as their most appeasing creation: Monoliths & Dimensions, dragging in tow a veritable armada of guest musicians (apparently nearly three dozen) ranging from classical artists, a drone progenitor (Dylan Carlson no less) and a certain infamous, and slightly demented, voice of black metal persuasion, all contributing to, in varying degrees, what is likely Sunn O)))'s most expansive and diverse vision to date.

Read more ››
published 25.05.2010 | Comments (18)

Found in 9 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 24   Visited by: 502 users
17.02.2012 - 15:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
On a Sunn O))) binge and it's revealed to me that this album is considerable weaker than I first realised. It's quite overbearing and lacking in subtlety. I retract the statement from my review: this album is not as deep as the artwork suggests.

17.02.2012 - 21:12
Rating: 9
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 17.02.2012 at 15:37

On a Sunn O))) binge and it's revealed to me that this album is considerable weaker than I first realised. It's quite overbearing and lacking in subtlety. I retract the statement from my review: this album is not as deep as the artwork suggests.

Meh, your past self is cooler than I thought. Not like it is a masterpiece but it is a pretty good album and I agree wth the review
The last track is hella sweet.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.02.2012 - 21:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.02.2012 at 21:12

Meh, your past self is cooler than I thought. Not like it is a masterpiece but it is a pretty good album and I agree wth the review
The last track is hella sweet.

The last track is the highlight but it felt like the first few tracks were just walls of drone without any intelligence behind it. I definitely prefer older stuff, I even properly listened to Domkirke which I have to say is rather impressive.
17.02.2012 - 21:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 17.02.2012 at 21:16
I even properly listened to Domkirke which I have to say is rather impressive.

It's a pretty nice live album indeed. Shame it's only on vinyl.
----
Rod, let me love you.
30.12.2012 - 16:26
skydancer

On a side note:
Just a small explanation of "megszentségteleníthetetlenségeskedéseitekért":
It's the longest possible word in Hungarian language (probably the idea came from Csihar to use it)
It can be translated to something like this: "for all of your acting-like-you-cannot-be-sacrileged"
14.12.2014 - 10:57
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I don't care much for Agartha, but Big Church, Hunting and Gathering, and Alice are all pretty great. A bit different than what they've done before, but still interesting. Nowhere near as good as the White albums or the Boris collab, but it's at least as good as Black One.
----
31.01.2015 - 19:18
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Jesus, there's conch shell and bass clarinet on this shit? I need to take a closer listen to try to pick those ones out
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
31.01.2015 - 19:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Auntie Sahar on 31.01.2015 at 19:18

Jesus, there's conch shell and bass clarinet on this shit? I need to take a closer listen to try to pick those ones out

You must have been triping by the last song because Alice is the track that has the highest amount of "extra" instruments compared to the others.
----
Rod, let me love you.
31.01.2015 - 19:39
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by X-Ray Rod on 31.01.2015 at 19:34

You must have been triping by the last song

I do not necessarily deny that allegation
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
19.07.2015 - 05:21
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Well, revisiting the Sunn O))) discography today, I think I can firmly say that after Altar, this is probably my favorite thing they've done. I think it really represents a maturation of the band's sound, I mean the earlier albums are still great of course, but here the band got very creative with what other sounds could be incorporated into their mix, and the results, especially on Alice, are just spectacular. And Attila's vocals just go so naturally into the music... sorry to disappoint any Mayhem fans out there, but this guy just shines WAY more with the abstract shit like Sunn O))) and Gravetemple than he ever does with Mayhem. He totally complements the ritualistic vibe and sounds like some mad shaman reciting an invocation over the rest of the music.

Very, very curious to see where they go from here.
----

~ II. VII
19.07.2015 - 23:59
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Auntie Sahar on 19.07.2015 at 05:21
this guy just shines WAY more with the abstract shit like Sunn O))) and Gravetemple than he ever does with Mayhem.

Bro, do you even Ordo Ad Chao?
----
Rod, let me love you.
20.07.2015 - 00:16
Zap
Wouldn't call myself a Mayhem "fan" but he definitely shines just as much in Mayhem if you ask me.
20.07.2015 - 09:19
no one
Account deleted
I'd also have to strongly disagree, but it could just be because Ordo Ad Chao and De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas are two albums that got me into bm.
20.07.2015 - 14:57
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.07.2015 at 23:59

Bro, do you even Ordo Ad Chao?

Seems I uttered an unfathomably heathenous statement!
Yes, I do even Ordo Ad Chao. I even Esoteric Warfare as well. Guess I just enjoy Attila's performance with more droney, ambient projects to Mayhem. So sue me
----

~ II. VII
20.07.2015 - 18:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Auntie Sahar on 20.07.2015 at 14:57
Yes, I do even Ordo Ad Chao. I even Esoteric Warfare as well. Guess I just enjoy Attila's performance with more droney, ambient projects to Mayhem. So sue me

He's actually better in OAC than Esoteric Walfare. I never said you couldn't prefer it here. But fact is: He's not at all as versatile with Sunn O))) than on Mayhem. He relies almost solely on his low spectrum while in Mayhem he does it all. So if we are talking purely on range: He shines way more with Mayhem.
----
Rod, let me love you.
20.07.2015 - 18:31
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.07.2015 at 18:10

He's not at all as versatile with Sunn O))) than on Mayhem. He relies almost solely on his low spectrum while in Mayhem he does it all. So if we are talking purely on range: He shines way more with Mayhem.

I prefer that lower spectrum. He is operatically trained, and that background comes out more in Sunn O))) and some of the other ambient bands he's worked with than it does in Mayhem. So, to a more specific point, I guess I could say that Attila's lower range shines here.
----

~ II. VII
20.07.2015 - 19:54
Lit.
Account deleted
...But only his lower range. Probably why I don't care for his performance on here. I like him more when he's doing those ungodly shrieks and high notes like he did on Mayhem. Granted, he also does the low range, but it sounds much better on those Mayhem albums.

I'd probably have to put fault on the fact, though, that this isn't a particularly good album, let alone comparable to Mayhem's latest two. Not even close to Sunn's best, especially since it came after Black One, which was phenomenal.
08.09.2015 - 02:51
Rating: 4
Poat

SOOO FKN heavy, mostly basing this off the live performance I witnessed irl.
Heavy Score: 10

For ranking system see: Poat's Heavy Ranking System
01.10.2015 - 01:25
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 20.07.2015 at 19:54

...But only his lower range. Probably why I don't care for his performance on here. I like him more when he's doing those ungodly shrieks and high notes like he did on Mayhem. Granted, he also does the low range, but it sounds much better on those Mayhem albums.

I've been watching a lot of Sunn O))) live vids in the past week and I've noticed that he does have a tendency to shriek and go for a higher range live. I think that has something to do with the fact that there's usually a good deal of improv to Sunn O)))'s performances, but still, it'd be nice to see him do a little bit more of that on album as well
----

~ II. VII
19.01.2017 - 21:03
Rating: 8
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
What?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
14.08.2018 - 23:31
Rating: 7
Jack_Torrance

I don't get it.
03.12.2018 - 00:41
Rating: 7
Jack_Torrance

I think I got it.
26.10.2021 - 23:14
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Damn. Alice is a mood breaker.
Songwriting is such a weird thing. I hate drone because its the same notes repeated solwly over and over again, yet here it's exactly that and it's still just that fricking good.

They don't do drone like this anymore.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
Today - 09:29
miekka18

I have never listened to anything like this. It's very slow, dark, yet intriguing. I got kinda scared listening to this, so it must be real deal. I like the lyrics, they are like poems

Hits total: 11812 | This month: 39