Metal Storm logo
Greece, Athens - Eurovision Song Contest Semifinals

When it comes to the Eurovision Song Contest, Finland is better known for its failures than for its successes. There is no doubt, however, that this year's Finnish Eurovision entry will go down as one of the most engaging moments in the history of the competition. Win or lose--more probably win--the song Hard Rock Hallelujah and its performer Lordi will certainly be the one thing every viewer around the continent will remember from the 2006 Eurovision Song Contest Final, to be held on May 20 in Athens.

Hard Rock Hallelujah sounds nothing like most Eurovision entries. As the title promises, the song is melodic hard rock, a genre seldom associated with Eurovision. Lordi--the name applies both to the group and its lead singer--looks even less like an ordinary Eurovision contestant: more like a heavily made up monster hard rock band along the lines of KISS or Twisted Sister, or a group of characters from a gory 1980s splatter movie.

And yet it looks and sounds like a winning combination. Hard Rock Hallelujah is not only the most rocking Eurovision entry since ABBA's Waterloo back in 1974, it also has one of the catchiest tunes. And Lordi surely puts on the best show since Björn Ulvaeus rocked his star-shaped guitar 32 years ago: not only does the band put rock back into the Eurovision, it also puts fun back into rock.

Originally hailing from Arctic Lapland, Lordi became a phenomenon in Finland with the Platinum-selling debut album Get Heavy in 2002. Since then, the band has scored Finnish hits with the albums The Monsterican Dream (2004) and The Arockalypse (2006). The compilation album The Monster Show has also been released in more than 20 countries.

Enjoying the music of evil-looking creatures isn't of course the same as condoning evil. Although some people have misinterpreted Lordi's fascination with monsters and death, the band is by no means the Devil's advocate. Lordi has, after all, had a hit in Finland with a song called Devil Is A Loser.

"We have the same aesthetic as horror films. The scarier the film, the more fun it is. And rock music should be all about fun", Lordi says.

Europe, get ready to get scared.

Who was there?

add0101 100%

Comments

Comments: 17   Visited by: 5 users
18.05.2006 - 16:00
Tony Harrison
I have no arms..
At least they should be the highlight of the Eurovision final if they get through! An act far more interesting than Dana International from a few years back.
----
This is an outrage...
18.05.2006 - 17:56
Bas
Retired Staff
i might actually watch it out of curiosity, depends on if i have something better to do or not
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
18.05.2006 - 18:06
darkwithin

There the only reason why I'm gonna watch, saw their video before but wanna know how their live act is, should be fun
----
The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his.
18.05.2006 - 18:42
jizzlord
like a fox
i love the eurovision, in it's horrible car crash tv way!
----

18.05.2006 - 19:25
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
This is so awesome! We (Holland) have this very stupid act called Treble, three ladies with African drums. It sucks so badly.
And I was so surprised when I read in the newspaper that Finland was sending Lordi as their act! I already know that I'll definitely vote for you Finnish guys. This is great!
18.05.2006 - 20:49
MasterOfMuppets
Account deleted
I never watch the Eurovision, but this year I'll make an exception just to make sure one of the funnest bands I've ever heared wins!
18.05.2006 - 21:26
adorina
Account deleted
I´m going to watch it, unless I fall asleep first. Lordi should be quite something tonight. So let´s all wish for the best.
18.05.2006 - 22:07
HedgeWitch

It's gonna be the very first time I'll truly enjoy watching the Eurovision ^^
Again (I think for the third time) our country will represent the red (now I think it's green, but who knows..) haired freak...X___X'

Go Lordi!
----
-Have you got any healing spells?
-Yeah, Rise Dead on scroll

Iron Maiden is like wine... The older the better...
Click Meh!
18.05.2006 - 23:04
N.T.Christ
Account deleted
Oh my god, I'm sitting here, waitng for lordi listenign to all this crap. Those strange things they call music are all more or less or . Bur I'm strong, I'll watch until the end, so that I can vote for lordi!
18.05.2006 - 23:27
Promonex
Cathemeral
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!1111

Have you guys seen those guys from Lithuania!? Holy shit, that was even more extra-ordinary than Lordi!!
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
19.05.2006 - 01:05
Cthulu Corpse
Account deleted
haha yeah the guys from Lithuania Rocked! And so did LORDI!!
Really loved Hard Rock Hallelujah. And Sweden made it of course but the important thing is that it will be Lordi that wins in the finals... What a great step for metal it would be : Cheers for Lordi!
20.05.2006 - 14:12
Vunts

I know how Lordi can win. EVERYONE on the forum that lives in Europe must vote for them. It's gonna be awesome
21.05.2006 - 01:23
marco

and they WON, gongratulations to Finland and well... HALLELUUJAH
----
the proggy bubblefucker
21.05.2006 - 19:44
The Walrus
Moonsorrow
Eurovision is the most stupid contest and not because the music but because the voting system each country voted for the neighbor country .
anyway a lot of sexy girls was there i especially liked the girl from Moldova .
and Lordi was great
----
22.05.2006 - 12:30
EvilWoman
Account deleted
What a great song for such a stupid contest. They owned the whole competition.
26.05.2006 - 16:06
Ayr
Account deleted
Posers.
Shame on Finland for using metal as a PR thing.
21.06.2006 - 15:28
marinBG

Lordi rockz!
@Ayr: everytime you hear a name of a band on the internet of whatever it's a PR thing... get used to it... PR is part of the modern world...
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!

Hits total: 1858 | This month: 1