Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm Awards - Results Are In!

So February, Leap Day and all, has come and gone. Your votes have been tallied and your winners have been announced. You can find the results here.

Feel free to discuss the results below.

Metal Storm Staff
Posted: 01.03.2012 by BitterCOld

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 273   [ 4 ignored ]   Visited by: 1041 users
01.03.2012 - 00:29
3rdWorld
China was a neat

Wolves in the throne room ??!!!! i m Playing it now to see what people found so awesome in it.
01.03.2012 - 00:38
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I don't see why Lulu didn't win BM album of the year. But yeah Wolves In The Throne Room should not have won.
01.03.2012 - 00:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 01.03.2012 at 00:38

I don't see why Lulu didn't win BM album of the year. But yeah Wolves In The Throne Room should not have won.

Why not? I didn't vote for it but it's a rare occasion where a popular choice is also a very high quality record at the same time.
01.03.2012 - 00:43
Fredd
Account deleted
Gg all
01.03.2012 - 00:47
Fade To Black

More often then not my choice wasn't picked but i feel in the majority of the categories a decent album won. However i did disagree with
In Flames - Alt Metal
Whitesnake - Hard Rock
Korn - Electronic
Symphony x -Prog
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 01.03.2012 at 00:41

Written by Alex F on 01.03.2012 at 00:38

Why not? I didn't vote for it but it's a rare occasion where a popular choice is also a very high quality record at the same time.

JOOE don't you see... it shouldn't have won cause it's hipster black metal and isn't orthodox and actually consost of people who have something to say
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Heka69

Fleshgod over Benighted? I fucking hate you people.
01.03.2012 - 00:50
Heka69

And how on any level is Lulu a letdown? Did someone ever EXPECT it to be GOOD? Wtf people, you are illogical as a blue bear wearing my boxers.
01.03.2012 - 00:52
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Dirge SEVENTH in post-metal voting? I listened to ALL of them and my second choice was Obscure Phoenix which was in SIXTH? I need to quit caring what other people think...

Did this catagory have the closest voting? I mean all of choices got a fair share amount of votes.
----
rekt
01.03.2012 - 00:53
Lawre

And here I was expecting Insomnium and Omnium Gatherum to (rightfully) surpass Amon Amarth in the melodeath category. Oh well, that's life. I've learned my lesson and henceforth I will only expect popular bands to win.
Nevertheless it's been a great pleasure to find new awesome albums I didn't know about before such as: Sleestak, Uneven Structure, Tesseract, Falloch, Before the Rain, Obscure Sphinx, Corrupted, Earth, Myrath, Haken and Brymir. My sincerest gratitudes to the staff who arranged this and made these discoveries possible!
01.03.2012 - 00:55
Rulatore

Written by Heka69 on 01.03.2012 at 00:50

And how on any level is Lulu a letdown? Did someone ever EXPECT it to be GOOD? Wtf people, you are illogical as a blue bear wearing my boxers.

LOL

Seriously, I'm might missed something with that Amorphis' one, THAT good ? Also, Machine Head best tharsh of the year ?
01.03.2012 - 00:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

,,,, you are illogical as a blue bear wearing my boxers.

actually that is more logical
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2012 - 00:58
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Several of my picks won, several didn't. The usual. Though a few surprised me, especially the Amon Amarth win. Not that the album was bad. I just thought it wasn't as good as previous efforts. Kind of surprised to see the Korn win too. The metalgaze genre looked like it must have been fun to watch. A really close race there. Deafheaven was my pick and I'm stoked about seeing them next month. Mastodon's win was no surprise but, even though I enjoyed The Hunter, I had to go with Subrosa. I'm glad to see Jari was spared the biggest letdown win too. LOL. I think my biggest disappointment is in the death metal genre.
01.03.2012 - 00:58
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Heka69 on 01.03.2012 at 00:47

Fleshgod over Dim Mak? I fucking hate you people.

fixed
01.03.2012 - 00:59
Lit.
Account deleted
Bigest Surprise: Whitesnake winning Hard Rock. Interesting. I'll take a listen to it.
Biggest Letdown: Korn over KMFDM. Seriously? WTF people?!
01.03.2012 - 01:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2012 at 00:47
JOOE don't you see... it shouldn't have won cause it's hipster black metal and isn't orthodox and actually consost of people who have something to say

Man those kvlt kids are hilarious

THANK YOU. I still can't believe how some people clearly don't know enough english to understand what "let down" actually means...

Written by tea[m]ster on 01.03.2012 at 00:52

Dirge SEVENTH in post-metal voting? I listened to ALL of them and my second choice was Obscure Phoenix which was in SIXTH? I need to quit caring what other people think...

Did this catagory have the closest voting? I mean all of choices got a fair share amount of votes.

I was a bit sad too but I definitely did NOT expect Dirge to win at all. The category was hella fun if you ask me! What a tight race!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.03.2012 - 01:01
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Guest on 01.03.2012 at 00:59

Bigest Surprise: Whitesnake winning Hard Rock. Interesting. I'll take a listen to it.

It's not a bad album at all, but hard rock has seen better this year in my opinion. Still, even though they won for the name, there's a nice nostalgic album behind it... pretty similar to the one they issued in 2008.
----
7.0 means the album is good
01.03.2012 - 01:04
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Well seems there are a few weird choices. I don't agree with most of them but then again the most known bands always have the advantage when it comes to votes...

Now I want the staff awards!
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
01.03.2012 - 01:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Dark Blood on 01.03.2012 at 01:04

Well seems there are a few weird choices. I don't agree with most of them but then again the most known bands always have the advantage when it comes to votes...

Now I want the staff awards!

And that is when the true bitching and moaning starts
I can't wait for that
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2012 - 01:07
IronAngel

Haha, who are these people that vote? 500 votes for Mastodon, but there are barely a 100 active posters on MS. Do people with awful music tastes just come by to vote or something?

I voted Esoteric and it won. That was to be expected. Can't help it, their fame is fully justified. Nothing else I voted came even close to winning. In fact, most of the categories seem like inverted versions of my preference lists.

I went for Terra Tenebrosa, BAN (Desanctification), Sonne Adam, Argus, Esoteric, A Million Dead Birds Laughing, The Devil's Blood (lol, Whitesnake won), Will Haven (no more write-ins of pretty much the pioneers of modern metalcore?), Hell, Dornenreich, Silent Steam of Godless Elegy, Earth, Riverside and Subrosa. 40 Watt Sun for debut of the year, at least that was pretty close.

Sludge is particularly funny. With Subrosa, the bottom four are actually my top five. Same with Metalgaze, I didn't vote because I couldn't decide between Verwüstung and Sleeping Peonies (and maybe An Autumn for Crippled Children or Deafheaven, but not so much).

BM category is cool, most of the albums were really good. But wtf at Long Distance Calling taking the post-metal prize? O_o People really need to listen to post-rock more.

Too bad about Solstafir. They got their votes spread over three categories, if I'm not mistaken. Two at the very least.
01.03.2012 - 01:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2012 at 01:06
And that is when the true bitching and moaning starts
I can't wait for that

Exactly... They get totally mad at us for having better taste
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.03.2012 - 01:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by IronAngel on 01.03.2012 at 01:07

Haha, who are these people that vote? 500 votes for Mastodon, but there are barely a 100 active posters on MS. Do people with awful music tastes just come by to vote or something?

believe it or not MS does not evolve around active posters. Most of the traffic on MS is by non-posters, the forum is just a tiny part of MS. I know loads of people who visit MS regularly and didn't even know there was a forum.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2012 - 01:13
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Rulatore on 01.03.2012 at 00:55

Seriously, I'm might missed something with that Amorphis' one, THAT good ?

That category lacked contest this year because there's not much modernly relevant stuff. Saxon being second should underline that.
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
But wtf at Long Distance Calling taking the post-metal prize? O_o People really need to listen to post-rock more.

I believe we already discussed this:

We felt it was good for a nomination... we wondered where it could go. Post-metal was the only one close enough. the staff/elite (at least those who were working on the nominations for that category) is well aware of what post-rock is.
----
Rod, let me love you.
BitterCOld
The Ancient One

Too bad about Solstafir. They got their votes spread over three categories, if I'm not mistaken. Two at the very least.

the thing with write-ins is it could be the same people writing them in each category. there is no guarantee that anyone listed them only once...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.03.2012 - 01:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.03.2012 at 01:13

But wtf at Long Distance Calling taking the post-metal prize? O_o People really need to listen to post-rock more.

I believe we already discussed this:

We felt it was good for a nomination... we wondered where it could go. Post-metal was the only one close enough. the staff/elite (at least those who were working on the nominations for that category) is well aware of what post-rock is.

and there is enough metal in there to warrant it there.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2012 - 01:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Risto on 01.03.2012 at 01:13

Written by Rulatore on 01.03.2012 at 00:55

Seriously, I'm might missed something with that Amorphis' one, THAT good ?

That category lacked contest this year because there's not much modernly relevant stuff. Saxon being second should underline that.

I would say all the rest of the nominees there were way more relevant than Amorphis because those were better albums
Amorphis only won because of it's name. If we had nominated Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier, even though it was from the wrong year it would have won easily.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2012 - 01:17
Milena
gloom cookie
Btw.
There were four write-ins for Subsignal in prog... I was one of them and JohnDoe was the other. The other anonymous two get a big thank you from me
----
7.0 means the album is good
01.03.2012 - 01:23
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Milena on 01.03.2012 at 01:17

Btw.
There were four write-ins for Subsignal in prog... I was one of them and JohnDoe was the other. The other anonymous two get a big thank you from me

Ummm, I was one of the two sweetheart. You being a staff/elite cannot see who members voted for?
----
rekt
01.03.2012 - 01:26
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal

BM category is cool, most of the albums were really good. But wtf at Long Distance Calling taking the post-metal prize? O_o People really need to listen to post-rock more.

My top three post-albums (on the list anyways) were Dirge, Obscure Phoenix and Endname all got voted towards the bottom...why do not people listen to us Iron?
----
rekt

Hits total: 15171 | This month: 4