04. Wanderlust
05. For The Record
06. White Smoke
07. Turtles All The Way Down
08. Organ Grinder
09. Host Disorder
10. After One Quarter Of A Revolution
11. The Sweet Life

I was recommended Every Time I Die by a friend who lives in a trailer and smokes a lot of the ganja. That being said, I wasn't expecting much. However, I was pretty surprised upon hearing New Junk Aesthetic. It's a killer album full of musical goodies.

The album is just under 40 minutes of Southern fury - the music could be characterized as metalcore, but it really isn't. The band plays a sort of metal-inspired rock, borrowing attributes from both genres. The overall sound is a bit raw, untamed by the popular music craze.

Upon further listening, the sound grew on me. The guitars, the drums and the vocals started to take me into a Southern ghost town during a metal showdown. The lyrics are especially great, often deep and at other times incredibly sarcastic. The guitar has a nice crisp, in-your-face-metal sound, which is fairly unique to the band (one could say it almost sounds like Barnburner). The drums aren't spectacular, but they're far from bad: simple drum beats, and unfortunately slightly repetitive. The vocals are great - no, fantastic! Some of the best vocal work I've heard is in this album. There is not much range in Keith's voice, but it definitely gets the job done. The bass is good, along the same lines as the guitar.

This band is definitely one to keep an eye on, and I expect big things from their new release. The overall atmosphere of this band is one that symbolizes metal, and how much you piss them off.

Highlights: "For the Record", "Host Disorder"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by Boxcar Willy | 07.01.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 21 users
01.03.2012 - 12:39
Rating: 7
Olli

Good review, I was also surprised at how good it is! Looking forward to the next CD from these guys.
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
01.03.2012 - 14:41
Rating: 9
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Olli on 01.03.2012 at 12:39

Good review, I was also surprised at how good it is! Looking forward to the next CD from these guys.

Thanks! I am also awaiting their next release.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
07.03.2014 - 04:40
Crème fraiche

Great review! I forgot how much I loved this band! Need to check out their newer material stat!

Hits total: 3373 | This month: 7