Metal Storm logo
Verbal Deception

28.10.2006 - 10:43
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
In Calgary Alberta (Canada), my hometown, there is a band called Verbal Deception. Theyre fairly big and I figure its only a matter of time until theyres going to be a page made for them on this site. They call there style 'Pirate Metal' because of the very pirate like sound and theme of the music. They are very unique and the best i could classify them as is folk metal. I just wanted to know how many people know about this band and how far around the globe there music is reaching?

for those of you who havnt heard them and are curious about them go to: http://www.verbaldeception.com/ and if you are interested in samples of there music go to there myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/verbaldeception
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
28.10.2006 - 23:15
Stigmatized
I've heard them. Not bad. I realized recently they were a lot bigger than I thought.
28.10.2006 - 23:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
yeah i know, i used to think they were just some small band but ive talked to people in like poland (over the net) that know who they are.
----
- George Carlin
29.10.2006 - 00:20
Skald
Account deleted
Heh, I could imagine Verbal Deception getting popular around here, seeing as sailor music has nearly mainstream popularity in Poland.

Anyway, they're a pretty good band, but there's still room for improvement. I mean, their strong point is being unique, but very often they sound like a generic heavy metal band. They could try to develop the pirate theme in their music a bit further.
Oh, and I made this thingy with their music :p
29.10.2006 - 14:26
Stigmatized
Written by Guest on 29.10.2006 at 00:20

Heh, I could imagine Verbal Deception getting popular around here, seeing as sailor music has nearly mainstream popularity in Poland.

Anyway, they're a pretty good band, but there's still room for improvement. I mean, their strong point is being unique, but very often they sound like a generic heavy metal band. They could try to develop the pirate theme in their music a bit further.

Yeah, I watched several of your videos. Excellent work man.
31.10.2006 - 05:06
MUSIC?
Account deleted
There's not that many big bands that come from our neck of the woods, (READ: Alberta) so I support them 100% and their "Pirate Metal". I can see them being big one day. Not to mention they rock, so, yeah, big plus there.
04.11.2006 - 08:45
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 29.10.2006 at 00:20

yeah man, ive seen your videos, your braveheart/turisas video is what got me into Turisas.
----
- George Carlin
20.03.2007 - 12:34
GT
Coffee!!
Some nice music...cool with the pirate touch.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
23.03.2007 - 00:12
bumhole4002
Account deleted
i have seen them live
their music is not bad i will say their are better bands in calgary but
they are for sure going some where so i will saport them
02.05.2007 - 05:30
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I've only heard the one song that you sent me and they indeed sound like they have potential. I don't care for the whispery vocals, but I like the keyboards. It reminds me of the circus

yaaaarrrrrrr
28.10.2007 - 05:22
Fuath

pirate metal

i like em
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

28.10.2007 - 09:02
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Fuath on 28.10.2007 at 05:22

pirate metal

i like em

Haha! Yes! there getting known over the high seas! There getting big, they opened for finntroll a few months back. Unfortunately there touring out of the country might never happen again, a few weeks ago at a big local gig (with Melecesh as special guests headlining) the keyboardist started rooting through the confiscation bin and the security caught him (and by caught I mean destroyed him, and so they had to cancel there set) so now hes got charges to deal with that might prevent him from leaving the country, and he is one of the 2 core members who writes 50% of the music so its not like they can replace him.
----
- George Carlin
28.10.2007 - 09:05
Fuath

Written by Doc G. on 28.10.2007 at 09:02

pirate metal

i like em

Haha! Yes! there getting known over the high seas! There getting big, they opened for finntroll a few months back. Unfortunately there touring out of the country might never happen again, a few weeks ago at a big local gig (with Melecesh as special guests headlining) the keyboardist started rooting through the confiscation bin and the security caught him (and by caught I mean destroyed him, and so they had to cancel there set) so now hes got charges to deal with that might prevent him from leaving the country, and he is one of the 2 core members who writes 50% of the music so its not like they can replace him.

shit!!!!, that sucks majorly!!!! y would he do that though??
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

28.10.2007 - 09:14
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Fuath on 28.10.2007 at 09:05

pirate metal

i like em

Because his girlfriend had her pipe confiscated. But Im not 100% sure, these are just rumors I hear around the calgary metal scene. I know he got arrested and thats as far as im positive about.
----
- George Carlin
28.10.2007 - 10:47
Fuath

Written by Doc G. on 28.10.2007 at 09:14

Written by Fuath on 28.10.2007 at 09:05

pirate metal

i like em

Because his girlfriend had her pipe confiscated. But Im not 100% sure, these are just rumors I hear around the calgary metal scene. I know he got arrested and thats as far as im positive about.

jeeez, bitch whipped
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

15.11.2007 - 16:51
VPeter

yes I know them unfortunally, since I;m a huge folk metal fan and trying to keep track of the scene.
I was looking for Pirate folk metal band, unfortunally this band doens't even come close to what I hoped for.
it's just a waterded down melodic death metal Suidarka with a vocalist trying to imitate the vocalist og haggard.
and what is so folky about it? so far I heard there is only sometimes minimalistic keyboard playing for short time and then disapears again in the sound of those complete oout of order guitars. why do they call themselfs pirate metal? they don't even look like one and the band name sounds mroe fitting for a old school grindcore band. this band is defently one of the worst folk metal(if you even can call them that) bands out there.
26.11.2007 - 09:24
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by VPeter on 15.11.2007 at 16:51

yes I know them unfortunally, since I;m a huge folk metal fan and trying to keep track of the scene.
I was looking for Pirate folk metal band, unfortunally this band doens't even come close to what I hoped for.
it's just a waterded down melodic death metal Suidarka with a vocalist trying to imitate the vocalist og haggard.
and what is so folky about it? so far I heard there is only sometimes minimalistic keyboard playing for short time and then disapears again in the sound of those complete oout of order guitars. why do they call themselfs pirate metal? they don't even look like one and the band name sounds mroe fitting for a old school grindcore band. this band is defently one of the worst folk metal(if you even can call them that) bands out there.

The fact that you use band name as detracting from the band is funny, and weak. And they dont look like pirates? who cares? Amon Amarth dont dress like vikings on stage. As for the rest, you obviously havnt really listened to them, the Keys are quite prominent. The guitars dont seem out of order to me, I fail to see what you mean by that.
----
- George Carlin
26.11.2007 - 14:58
VPeter

if you are claiming to be a "pirate metal" band you better do it right. Running wild who start this "pirate metal" trend were pirate costumes on stage.
that is because Amon Amarth aren't viking metal. I found the keys quite minimallistic.
first when I heard about his band I was excited, because I was looking for Pirate folk metal for a long time, alltough Running Wild is awesome they made speed/power/ heavy metal with some small touches of pirate music. Alestorm had more pirate in the music but the vocals are just bad, then I found this band.
then mine dissapointment was huge since this was just waterded down melodic death metal with minimalistic keyboards, not the Pirate folk metal I hoped for.
26.11.2007 - 23:50
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by VPeter on 26.11.2007 at 14:58

if you are claiming to be a "pirate metal" band you better do it right. Running wild who start this "pirate metal" trend were pirate costumes on stage.
that is because Amon Amarth aren't viking metal. I found the keys quite minimallistic.
first when I heard about his band I was excited, because I was looking for Pirate folk metal for a long time, alltough Running Wild is awesome they made speed/power/ heavy metal with some small touches of pirate music. Alestorm had more pirate in the music but the vocals are just bad, then I found this band.
then mine dissapointment was huge since this was just waterded down melodic death metal with minimalistic keyboards, not the Pirate folk metal I hoped for.

Newer vids of Running Wild I see Rock N Rolf just wearing a piratey tshirt and a bandanna, Verbal D does that from time to time. 100% of the lyrical content is all piracy, and the PROMINENT keyboards add to it, I dont even know why Im bothering arguing this with someone who probably listened to about 15 seconds of them at most.
----
- George Carlin
27.11.2007 - 01:20
VPeter

speaking about lyrical content they suck at it to. I am not the only one who think they are bad, friends of mine gave them a listen alltough I warned them not to expect that much and they think it was bad to, except one of them liked it. they are not just bad as a pirate metal band, they are also as bad as a melodic death metal band since that is what they are. And I dont even know why Im bothering arguing against some one who can't acept the fact that there are people who don't like this band and fidn them a joke at what they are trying to play.