02. Vithatten
03. De Gångnas Skalder
04. Inom Bergets Salar
05. Av Sten
06. Mylingsdimma
07. Vilsna Tankars Spökerier
08. I Fönstret Blickar Kvinnan
09. Skuggor Av Bläck

Sorgeldom are one of those relatively obscure black metal bands that manage to release high-quality albums on a consistent basis in spite of never really achieving international fame. And why don't they achieve international fame? Because of people like me, that's why. You see, last year these guys managed to release two albums: Vithatten and ...From Outer Intelligences, but you didn't hear about them here first. Because this reviewer decided to move across the country twice in 6 months and ignored his duty to promote the underground.

I moved for a girl. That's right, a girl. And you know what? Shit ended pretty quick. So I thought, what can I do to make myself feel better? How about listen to good music. And that's where this album comes in. It's not like this mind-blowing masterpiece that altered my perception or anything, but it's just good, traditional, pseudo-atmospheric black metal. It's raw and blasphemous and all that good shit. Stuff you can just fuckin' bang your head to, but also something you can totally just sit back and enjoy while smoking a joint or whatever the kids do these days.

Vocalist "Dr. Sunden" (ya, they're one of those bands) doesn't do anything in particular to separate himself from any other shrieker, but he gets the job done without making you cock any eyebrows. The others guys, however, tend to stand out a little more. The drums are blasted perfectly, varying slightly but never deviating from the typical straightforward approach. And the guitar leads do a great job of creating an almost soothing or depressing atmosphere. I suppose it depends on whether you've just been dumped after spending the last of your money to live with a girl who ripped your heart out in front of you or if you're stoned on a Sunday morning.

Either way, what you get here is a simple, straightforward black metal album with hints of depressive undertones and some really chill moments. Agalloch gone trve Norwegian kvlt black metal? Pretty much.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 07.03.2012 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 45   Visited by: 163 users
08.03.2012 - 01:11
Tenski
Troy we are very similar, both wayyy overly philosophical...
08.03.2012 - 01:15
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Unhealer on 08.03.2012 at 00:49
Well, now I'm forced to check it out.

Ya it kind of takes their dark folk/atmo-black approach but it's way more narrowed down if that makes sense.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.03.2012 - 01:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Tenski on 08.03.2012 at 01:11

It's a curse, really.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.03.2012 - 01:30
scaesura
I like this album, but ...From Outer Intelligences is excellent. As was Inner Receivings. Where Vithatten is pretty traditionally based, From Outer Intelligences and Inner Receivings experiment beautifully.
08.03.2012 - 01:36
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by scaesura on 08.03.2012 at 01:30
I like this album, but ...From Outer Intelligences is excellent. As was Inner Receivings. Where Vithatten is pretty traditionally based, From Outer Intelligences and Inner Receivings experiment beautifully.

Agreed. The differences are a little more subtle than, say, Mastodon's discography, but all in all the experimentation really works well for these guys.
----
08.03.2012 - 11:11
Tenski
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.03.2012 at 01:17

Written by Tenski on 08.03.2012 at 01:11

It's a curse, really.

But Unveil the Eternal Curse My Friend.
08.03.2012 - 22:22
Rating: 7
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Just so everyone knows this was a live recording in the forest. Sometimes band members take their equipment and hook up to a generator and record. Also, this album was actually recorded a few years ago.
----
Brujerizmo!
08.03.2012 - 22:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Ya I've got the booklet, and tracks 1 - 6 were recorded on location beneath the skies and snow blah blah blah 2009, and 7 - 9 recorded in a forest between autumn '90 and spring 2010.
----
08.03.2012 - 22:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.03.2012 at 22:30

Ya I've got the booklet, and tracks 1 - 6 were recorded on location beneath the skies and snow blah blah blah 2009

I love when bands say that, most of the time it's just bullshit and they recorded the album in plain summer in shorts and t-shirt and went to the beach afterwards.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.03.2012 - 03:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.03.2012 at 22:44

Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.03.2012 at 22:30

Ya I've got the booklet, and tracks 1 - 6 were recorded on location beneath the skies and snow blah blah blah 2009

I love when bands say that, most of the time it's just bullshit and they recorded the album in plain summer in shorts and t-shirt and went to the beach afterwards.

exactly an I am pretty sure this is another one. And even iof the story is true it doesn't make the album any better. It's still slightly above a 7 and nothing more.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.03.2012 - 03:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
I don't think anyone was suggesting this was a great album simply because it was allegedly recorded outdoors. It's just some additional info.
----
09.03.2012 - 03:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.03.2012 at 03:24

I don't think anyone was suggesting this was a great album simply because it was allegedly recorded outdoors. It's just some additional info.

totally irrelevant additional info imo.

And the album is just a normal okayish one, nothing more nothing less
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.03.2012 - 03:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
I don't think it's irrelevant information, especially if true. It's nice to read up on little trivia things about bands. As for the album being normal/okayish, that's your opinion. It seems a lot of the people commenting here seem to enjoy it more than that.
----
15.03.2012 - 14:25
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
Or more like the people are enjoying your presence again, Troy (=
----
loves 小巫
15.03.2012 - 15:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Ag Fox on 15.03.2012 at 14:25
Or more like the people are enjoying your presence again, Troy (=

Aw shucks, if that's true I may just have a reason to smile or something.
----

Hits total: 4035 | This month: 27