17. Forever After [2002 SPV CD reissue bonus]
18. Conversation Piece [Live In Rehearsal] [2002 SPV CD reissue bonus]
19. All That I Bleed [Acoustic version] [2010 EarMusic CD reissue bonus]
20. If I Go Away [Acoustic version] [2010 EarMusic CD reissue bonus]

Top 20 albums of 1993: 10

Guest review by
The Silent Man
Rating:
"Edge Of Thorns" is Savatage's 8th studio album. It is their first work with Zak Stevens on vocals and their last with Criss Oliva on guitar: Criss died in a car accident on October 7th, 1993 after this release. His tragic death marked a terrible period for his bandmates, expecially for his brother Jon, who decided to bring Savatage to an end. Fortunately he changed his mind after the release of "Handful Of Rain", which was meant to be Savatage's post script.

Read more ››
published 29.09.2003 | Comments (5)

Found in 28 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 500 users
01.08.2012 - 21:09
Death_95
Great album.
01.08.2012 - 23:12
JÄY
Metal slave
I've always wanted to like this... dunno why I dont. I'll try again
30.10.2012 - 20:05
Rating: 9
bblitz
I started listening Savatage before few months.Awesome,fantastic band can't believe I wasted my time on Dream Theater and Queensryche.
This album is one of my favorites along with power of the night and of course hall of the mountain king.This album is pure melodic yet aggressive
with very good songwritning.Vocals?Ha ha fantastic singer Zak Stevens.Highly recommended!
16.02.2013 - 14:48
Rating: 8
Kocha
Good, but not great. Few "Skidrow-ish" songs I don't really appreciate. Zak's vocals are excellent, but I still prefer Jon's.
15.07.2013 - 01:07
LordHypnos
Account deleted
Savatage's best album imo, all tracks are perfect. I personally prefer Zak's voice over Jon's. Jon's amazing too, but Zak's better.
22.03.2017 - 22:29
Rating: 8
Redel
Very good album, but not their best. Title track is surely a classic. Follow me also stands out. Then again a couple of fillers to find here. Used to spin this far more often back at the time it was born.
25.03.2020 - 15:01
Rating: 6
majormalfunction
Not a favourite. Way too many "skidrow-ish" songs here as someone above here put it. Songs such as Skraggy's Tomb, Lights Out, Conversation Piece and Degrees of Sanity (the solo part is excellent though) don't do nothing for me. Still there are moments of brilliance (Edge of Thorns, He Carves His Stone, Follow Me, All That I Bleed) but overall it's a choppy album saved in many cases by Criss Olivas guitar work.
----
Everything's twice as bright with money in your hands
25.03.2020 - 17:39
JoHn Doe
One of my favorite albums
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
25.03.2020 - 18:43
Metal Rasputin
Great album, one my favourites from them alongside Gutter and Mountain King. Who knows what they might have become if Chris hadn't tragically died after this.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
11.07.2020 - 13:23
Rating: 5
Joppe
Steelemeister
After long contemplation on how good/bad this album is I've reached the conclusion of: neither good, neither bad, it's right in the between. As I see it, it's an album that has a couple -- or a few if we stretch it -- really strong tracks, and the rest of it is mostly skippable and negligible songs. The album being 50+ minutes seems to me an overkill in length and if we're being honest here, would any1 really miss ALL of these songs?

I do find songs the songs Edge Of Thorns, All That I Bleed, Miles Away and Sleep definitely worth checking out and given some more listens too, but for the whole album I don't see many listens. Especially the beginning of the album -- title track excluded -- is dogshit and doesn't help seeing the album in a good light. Sure, it gets better later, and the songs nearing the end do salvage from what is still salvageable fairly well, but the overall impression of the album is largely ruined. On the bright side: "Sleep" is definitely one my favorite Savatage songs and even Zakk is doing very good job on it by not sounding like a Hetfield copy like he often does.
----
My vision is augmented

Hits total: 13590 | This month: 60