06. Psalms Alive
07. Stretchmarker
08. The Line Between
09. If I Forget Thee, Lowcountry

Featured in "Getting Into: Baroness"

Staff review by
Doc G.
Rating:
Here's a band that has picked up a notable amount of steam over the past few years; Red Album was generally received warmly, building up perfectly to the staggering amounts of praise for Blue Record. The pressure is on. How do they live up to it? By throwing us a goddamn curve-ball, is what.

Read more ››
published 10.07.2012 | Comments (35)

Found in 26 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 77   Visited by: 736 users
10.07.2012 - 16:34
Rating: 7
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.07.2012 at 08:22
4/10 is way too low for this huge disappointment

According to you. Ratings are subjective, just like our opinions - and I have no reason to overreact to this, being that I've never cared for the band by any stretch. I think this album is a failure for the reasons I described above; thus, less than a 50% is appropriate.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.07.2012 - 18:18
The Benighted
I can see people hating this because of it's departure from sludge, but it's still a solid release, all things considered. I wonder where they'll go from here though...
----
Learn to adapt to the change, or get washed away like tears in the rain.
11.07.2012 - 20:01
John Shock
Written by The Benighted on 10.07.2012 at 18:18

I can see people hating this because of it's departure from sludge, but it's still a solid release, all things considered. I wonder where they'll go from here though...

Departing? Wtf? Really...how this sounds now? New Mastodon stuff?
11.07.2012 - 20:17
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by John Shock on 11.07.2012 at 20:01

Certainly not sludge, that's for sure.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.07.2012 - 20:24
The Benighted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.07.2012 at 20:17

It has a lot of softer prog touches thrown in. Almost all of the harsher sounds from prior albums are gone, too. It's not bad, but I could see why people would dislike it.
----
Learn to adapt to the change, or get washed away like tears in the rain.
11.07.2012 - 22:39
Rating: 8
Unhealer
Eclecticist
This one's maybe better than Blue Record by a slight margin. Yellow is excellent and really diverse, but on Green the diversity factor goes down a little bit so it's boring at times even thought there are good songs mostly also. I really dig their guitar sound, glad they maintained that from their sludge era and apply it to this new catchier style perfectly.
If they are getting into the mainstream with this record, then they are really going to do some good to it.
12.07.2012 - 00:50
John Shock
Written by The Benighted on 11.07.2012 at 20:24

Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.07.2012 at 20:17

It has a lot of softer prog touches thrown in. Almost all of the harsher sounds from prior albums are gone, too. It's not bad, but I could see why people would dislike it.

Ok, i got it! New Mastodon stuff
12.07.2012 - 16:54
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by John Shock on 12.07.2012 at 00:50
Ok, i got it! New Mastodon stuff

Not really. Where Mastodon could be considered progressive metal, this album is more like progressive rock, if you prefer to call either progressive, that is.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.07.2012 - 00:53
hadriel
I'm more than likely the only one, but I actually prefer this to their sludge material. Songwriting falls short in some places, but aside from that I really enjoyed the album.
14.07.2012 - 06:42
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
The need some hardcore bree bree is there brah!

But lets get real, someone should add "hard rock" to their genres.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.07.2012 - 21:49
MyNameJeff
Masterpiece, i love it!
17.07.2012 - 00:42
Rating: 6
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I think everyone is overreacting a tad, but whatever. Not a sludge album, but not a bad album either
17.07.2012 - 01:02
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I'm definitely loving it. Vocals and song structures may be oriented to simplicity for the most part (though still awesome), but what is going on instrumentally is really clever. They also kept that special fuzzy sound on the guitars and bass which I love.
I'm between a 8 and a 9, I'll rate it 8 if it happens to bore me quickly.
18.07.2012 - 13:20
ruiaqf
Account deleted
First CD perfect! Second one very good but not as good as first, that's why the 8..
18.07.2012 - 21:23
rafroes
Good, but not that much
21.07.2012 - 18:51
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Very consistent this one. Keeps a similar sound throughout the whole thing but each track is distinguishable, a mark of quality song writing. Shame that that consistency just isn't all that impressive. Songs like Cocanium, Sea Lungs and Collapse are a cut above the rest but not by much I think.
22.07.2012 - 06:28
Crucifux
Account deleted
Is it worth paying the extra $8~ for the hardbound deluxe version?
22.07.2012 - 12:16
afu
Written by Guest on 22.07.2012 at 06:28

Is it worth paying the extra $8~ for the hardbound deluxe version?

For the artwork, yes.
27.07.2012 - 21:23
Rating: 4
Neachy
This steaming piece of mediocrity is going to win Sludge/Stoner album of the year. I can see it already. Turrible.
27.07.2012 - 22:31
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Neachy on 27.07.2012 at 21:23

This steaming piece of mediocrity is going to win Sludge/Stoner album of the year. I can see it already. Turrible.

It's just hype that people started bashing since their "title" was revealed and upto now Y&G is still in clouds of attack. It's a very good album with very good innovative ways the band has headed to. They brought up little "change" in their music direction which inevitably have covered up the album's experience enjoyable and well deserved acclaim. I though found two to three songs pretty straightforward simple delivered rock which bored me a lot, but, um it wasn't that bad overall you know.
27.07.2012 - 22:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 27.07.2012 at 22:31

It's just hype that people started bashing since their "title" was revealed and upto now Y&G is still in clouds of attack. It's a very good album with very good innovative ways the band has headed to. They brought up little "change" in their music direction which inevitably have covered up the album's experience enjoyable and well deserved acclaim. I though found two to three songs pretty straightforward simple delivered rock which bored me a lot, but, um it wasn't that bad overall you know.

No it isn't, it was "attacked" because the songs they released were indeed steaming piles of Nickleback flavoured mediocrity, and the album revealed itself to reflect a general overlong session of pedestrian averageness. Nothing to do with hype, just general disappointment from a lot of people.
27.07.2012 - 22:48
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 27.07.2012 at 22:35

No it isn't, it was "attacked" because the songs they released were indeed steaming piles of Nickleback flavoured mediocrity, and the album revealed itself to reflect a general overlong session of pedestrian averageness. Nothing to do with hype, just general disappointment from a lot of people.

I knew.....it. Seems like Y&G gotta tag of stupid "Nickelback" eh?!. Probably, I found this album to be enjoyable and considered a great release too.
28.07.2012 - 19:46
Rating: 4
Neachy

You're absolutely right. It's not that bad. I found it very average. Especially when compared to their back catalog. This to me is a clear cut case of a talented band losing that fire that once made them great. This is all just my opinion but as someone who has purchased their prior two albums I claim the right to judge their music as I see fit. And it disappoints me that people seem to be embracing what I hear as a lackluster release rather than collectively saying "c'mon guys, you can do better." Oh well.
07.08.2012 - 18:43
musicalkaratekid
'Yellow and Green' is amongst the most varied albums released in 2012. 'Green' is a little more interesting than 'Yellow' in terms of songwriting, but 'Yellow' makes up for its boredom by having tense build-ups, as on 'Take my Bones away' and 'Cocainum'. The band said that this release would feature more of an indie rock influence, and whilst that isn't exactly everyone's cup of tea, it still makes for an interesting listen nonetheless.
16.08.2012 - 09:38
Nunzie 69
Always hated when a Metal band,ventured into the Rock territory,well until this.This doesn't seem like a sellout at all,but them reaching deeper into there craft.Only complaint would be this could have been a lot shorter,some of the songs feel unnecessary.
16.08.2012 - 23:51
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin

you needn't worry about that. lack of distortion pedal pretty much guarantees this won't be in that category.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.08.2012 - 00:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 16.08.2012 at 23:51
you needn't worry about that. lack of distortion pedal pretty much guarantees this won't be in that category.

Betcha they will get at least 20 write-ins
----
Rod, let me love you.
17.08.2012 - 00:24
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.08.2012 at 00:13

Written by BitterCOld on 16.08.2012 at 23:51

Betcha they will get at least 20 write-ins

i'll betcha 20E worth of mail order merch that when voting ends and the smoke clears they won't...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.08.2012 - 00:26
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 17.08.2012 at 00:24
i'll betcha 20E worth of mail order merch that when voting ends and the smoke clears they won't...

Oooooh, nice move. Didn't count on that. I pass then
----
Rod, let me love you.
26.08.2012 - 17:06
BlueMobius
Account deleted
For what it's worth, I think this is a decent rock album. I'm sure the change in sound has a lot of people grumpy but I really liked the direction of "Yellow & Green." I'm really interested in hearing where this sound takes the band in a few years when they sit down to write the next album because I've read where Baizley has said he had a collection of rock songs he wanted to get out. So I wonder if "Yellow & Green" was just him getting some of that off his chest or if this will be a permanent shift in sound.

Hits total: 14982 | This month: 36