Poll

Yes or no

I like them
Hadn't heard of them before this thread
I dislike them

Total votes: 81
18.05.2006 - 17:33
Vunts

I thought that i will let this band go in the extreme sub-forum. As will all the other funeral doom bands' threads that i will ever be making. Funeral doom is just an even more extreme doom genre than death/doom, thus this thread being here.
I really love the band. Best funeral doom i've heard. And while i haven't heard all that much, i reall really enjoy the music. The song that got me into them was Night's Dew. It isn't exactly my favourite song, but it presents some awesome melodies. The thing i like about the band is the word "doom" seems to be written all over their songs.
All of the 3 CDs are awesome. I still can't pick a favourite, but In the Mist is an awesome song. So is Woundheir.
From Angels of Distress i atm most like Quiet These Paintings Are and ...To Live For My Death
From Illusion's Play i like Sleep Mirrored and Entwined in Misery.

The named songs aren't of course the only ones that i enjoy, but they were the first that came to my head. Anyways, that thing aside, the more important thing is that they have NO songs that i dislike! Picking favourites is hard, but picking bad songs is easy. I failed to do the latter. Some songs are more key-influenced, but it's done in a doomish way to present a whole new level of soundscape. I totally appreciate that.
18.05.2006 - 17:52
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Love them. Ordered "Angel's Of Distress" a few days ago.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
18.05.2006 - 17:55
Damnated
Churchburner
Probably the most beatiful band I have ever heard, maybe next to Alcest, but defenetly the most beautiful in funeral doom. The use of flute is simply a genious idea, and all the songs have such a great symphonic sound, I just love this band. My fav song would be Quiet These Paintings Are, I can almost cry when I hear the intro and the main theme.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
18.05.2006 - 18:20
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Awesome band, very haunting and ceremonial.... my all time favourite had been Angels Of Distress but now I'm lerning to specially love "Shades of..." very touching stuff.
18.05.2006 - 18:25
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Good to hear you like it. I'm anxiously waiting.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
18.05.2006 - 19:09
Vunts

I wish i bought at least one of their CDs...i feel like a thief for only having the albums in downloaded form...But...it's....soooooo GOOD, i can't stop doing it.
Does anyone know how much of the sales actually supports the band? I'm talking about percentages here.
18.05.2006 - 20:36
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Written by Lucas on 18.05.2006 at 17:52

That's good it is incarnation of funeral doom
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
18.05.2006 - 21:52
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Written by heresiarch on 18.05.2006 at 20:36

Forgot to mention , that album contains the ultimate funeral doom song, ...To live for my death
just over 17 minutes of total despair

that song is what funeral doom is all about
----

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

19.05.2006 - 02:07
Almighty Ent
Dragon Reborn
Ya I love this band. Great vocals. In the mist is my favorite tune by them. Any news about this band ? New albums, anything ?
19.05.2006 - 16:42
Kurzag
Account deleted
I like them a lot. They create such dark, melancholic and beautiful atmosphere. So far, the only albums I have of them is Angels of Distress and Shape of Despair. Great stuff! My favourite songs is Sleeping Murder
19.05.2006 - 19:56
Lucas
Mr. Noise
@heresiarch. Ok, I'm anxiously waiting.
----

20.05.2006 - 13:34
Götter
Written by heresiarch on 18.05.2006 at 21:52

Written by heresiarch on 18.05.2006 at 20:36

Forgot to mention , that album contains the ultimate funeral doom song, ...To live for my death
just over 17 minutes of total despair

that song is what funeral doom is all about

Haha, I am not sure if Shape Of Despair can be considered an incarnation of funeral doom as they are somewhat offset from the style's standards but I must agree that "To Live..." has some of the most hopeless moments ever woven into music. My favorite SoD song is "Down into the Stream", though. It has this part where the wailing female vocals kick in. That moment is pure emptiness and this is, at least for me, SoD's most important emotion delivered.

The band itself - I am not sure if they're still my favorite (funeral) doom band or not... probably they are, although Skepticism comes very close. In any case, "Illusion's Play", although great by its own standards, doesn't even remotely hold up to "Shades Of" or even "Angels of Distress". It simply has no songs so memorable.
21.05.2006 - 17:41
Lucas
Mr. Noise
I got 'Angel's' yesterday, and waiting for the eveing to darken my room and turn it on, loudly.

And I was I-M-P-R-E-S-S-E-D. It grabbed me, it took me down, it has torn me apart, I can't think of enough adjectives to describe this masterpiece.

It did something to me not a single band has managed yet, it made me cry. Of despair. That was incredible.

This surely ranks among my favorites all time.
----

21.05.2006 - 19:19
Vunts

Glad to hear it! I have yet to try listening it like that due to the fact that i haven't been alone at night when i started to listen to them more. But what you just said only proves that they are awesome when it comes to atmosphere!!
21.05.2006 - 20:36
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Written by Lucas on 21.05.2006 at 17:41

I got 'Angel's' yesterday, and waiting for the eveing to darken my room and turn it on, loudly.

And I was I-M-P-R-E-S-S-E-D. It grabbed me, it took me down, it has torn me apart, I can't think of enough adjectives to describe this masterpiece.

It did something to me not a single band has managed yet, it made me cry. Of despair. That was incredible.

This surely ranks among my favorites all time.
I told you.It is awesome album,perhaps most atmospheric,sad,filled with despair ever, in one word best funeral doom album ...maybe
----

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

22.05.2006 - 05:39
Proffesor Chaos
Account deleted
I Am Very happy to see the poll results showing most like Shape's music. This band was found by the most dedicated musician ever. And found the foundation musician of funeral doom. I currently have Angels Of Distress. Live For My Death Has The Best Guitar Ever In The Face Of Doom, But Maybe i am way out of my head but no dougbt's that this band will be plced among greatness,. In Angels Of Distress the self titled track has such a good rythym and "Come Closer For My Self" The Lyrics Are Awesome. When I got The Album the Case Informs buyers the these tracks were written in the 90's, ladys and gents, this is real music. Very Suicidal Illusions Play, But I will buy Their Albums In their Order Of Release. Cnt wait to see the Metalstorme top doom albums of all time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Song Nights Dew Ia Very Melo i wolud opinionly add, but their music is funeral alright. this band will be coming to your home very soon, keep an eye on them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
22.05.2006 - 06:29
Soliloquy

i know them. and i have heard of a few of their songs...maybe 5 i think. and all 5 of them i loved! incredibly eere, dark, meloncholy, and amazing. i cant find much from them though. all their albums are fucked up rare. and i cant seem to download any of their workd wither. so for now, myspace.com is all i have!
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
22.05.2006 - 22:58
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by heresiarch on 21.05.2006 at 20:36

in one word best funeral doom album

I wouldn't go that far, but that's just because I think that Shape Of Despair is to fast for being funeral doom.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
23.05.2006 - 01:16
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by Damnated on 22.05.2006 at 22:58

I wouldn't go that far, but that's just because I think that Shape Of Despair is to fast for being funeral doom.

hehe, Some of their songs cant be considered funeral doom, but most of them does
----
23.05.2006 - 06:18
Götter

Too fast? Nah, funeral doom doesn't necessarily have to be as slow as Skepticism. It's the "funereal" feeling that eventually defines the thing. And that's what sets Shape Of Despair somewhat off from the rest of the style - it's not so much funereal and depressed as it is dreamy and trance-like. So SoD is still funeral doom, just uses some relatively unique elements.
23.05.2006 - 18:54
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Götter on 23.05.2006 at 06:18

Too fast? Nah, funeral doom doesn't necessarily have to be as slow as Skepticism. It's the "funereal" feeling that eventually defines the thing. And that's what sets Shape Of Despair somewhat off from the rest of the style - it's not so much funereal and depressed as it is dreamy and trance-like. So SoD is still funeral doom, just uses some relatively unique elements.

I see, but the slowness is also the thing that gives this genre the funeral feeling, I mean slowness is a thing you assosaite with funerals, right?
----

23.05.2006 - 19:11
Götter
Written by Damnated on 23.05.2006 at 18:54

I see, but the slowness is also the thing that gives this genre the funeral feeling, I mean slowness is a thing you assosaite with funerals, right?

True, but not an absolute necessity. It's just that the doom metal bands who have this funereal feelings usually are slow. I could technically imagine (I might even know one or two) bands that sound funereal but aren't as slow.
23.05.2006 - 19:21
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Götter on 23.05.2006 at 19:11

Written by Damnated on 23.05.2006 at 18:54

True, but not an absolute necessity. It's just that the doom metal bands who have this funereal feelings usually are slow. I could technically imagine (I might even know one or two) bands that sound funereal but aren't as slow.

Yes, I know bands like that, Nortt is just an example, but because allmost every funeral doom band is slow, this became a trademark of the genre
----

24.05.2006 - 09:51
Mother-Anorexia
Account deleted
Own Angels Of Distress, Shades Of... and Illusion's Play, love all three of them and definately think of them as one of the best funeral doom bands around, if not one of the most popular too.
27.05.2006 - 22:25
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Just look for their lryics on Angel's On Distress.. and I noticed how much grammar mistakes they made..

I've losted mine strenght,
I've losted mine sanity..

That is just completely crooked, isn't it?
----

28.05.2006 - 00:49
belgianmetalman
Account deleted
hehe

completely crooked, or they are trying to use old english to make their texts seem more 'gothic'
and they failed

anyway, I wouldn't really know, I haven't heard of that band before
28.05.2006 - 13:04
heresiarch
Forever Dead
I don't mind little grammar errors because feeling is what it's all about

Hopelessness, the sadness, everything is lost, desperate struggle towards inevitable end

That's what funeral doom is about and Angels Of Distress catches these brilliantly
----

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

28.05.2006 - 13:10
Lucas
Mr. Noise
@heresiarch, of course, I completely agree, but well.. it just sounds really weird..
----

10.06.2006 - 18:13
CreativeAngels
Account deleted
OMFG Shape of Despair , were to begin, i discovered this band tough being a Fan of Amorphis, a friend of mine were driving in the Rain a day and there ws this cd he was playing and i felt like every single note was home it hard to explain o i asked him what band is that he said Shape Of Despair and i was like OMFG , i ordered "Illusion's play" the same day , Doom Perfection.

BTW check out Tryanny, Forest Of Shadows and Lethargia is u love Shape Of Despair
10.06.2006 - 19:10
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Lucas on 27.05.2006 at 22:25

I've losted mine strenght,
I've losted mine sanity..

So I'm not def then, but it sounds really good actually, and I think they used it form the ritm to come out, and the length of the line.
----