12. Every Time I Die [Live at Bloodstock] [Japanese bonus]

[Digipak Edition Bonus DVD]
+ Was It Worth It? music video
+ Making of Was It Worth It?
+ Angels Don't Kill - Live at Bloodstock
+ Everytime I Die - Live at Bloodstock
+ The Rockhouse Method with Alexi Laiho - DVD trailer
+ The Rockhouse Method with Alexi Laiho - instructional DVD excerpt

Imagine a man walking down the road, traveling right down the middle, never wavering, never stopping. Maybe it's dark out, a slight echo to his footsteps. All of a sudden, the man stops. His ears perk up for a second, shrugs it off and keeps right on walking. That is about as close as Children Of Bodom are on this record to returning to their classic sound.

There are certainly more melodies on this album. However, they still aren't catchy enough to draw the listener in. Their rhythms have always been simple and a tad lackluster, but it was the haunting melodies that kept it from becoming boring. Without them, the album is just that... boring. It has some highlights. "My Funeral" is a ripping tune, the best off Relentless Reckless Forever. The song quality goes down from there.

I know they will never write another Follow The Reaper and I'm not even looking for another one. They wrote a decent heavier-thrash style album with Hatecrew Deathroll and at this point, I'd even welcome another Are You Dead Yet? (in fact that's looking pretty good about now), but it sounds like they're trying to sound like Slipknot or Killswitch Engage. The keyboard riffs (which were a staple in their music) are almost non-existent on Relentless Reckless Forever. I cannot hum a single keyboard part from memory on this album.

All in all, a snoozefest. It has a short run time, clocking in at about 40 minutes, but I get bored at about the 15 minute mark. It just has too few memorable moments. Don't get me started on the production....

Rating breakdown
Performance: 6
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 6
Production: 5

Written by Svneatr | 14.03.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Windrider
Rating:
Even before this album was released and before anyone could have heard a sound of it, quite everyone knew that this will not become an album worth a 10. Children Of Bodom have changed too much to return to the old awesome tunes. The band stated before the release of it that Relentless Reckless Forever would happen to be the best Bodom album ever. Blah blah the same shit a band always cries out for marketing, but in this case it even sounded ridiculous. I admit that I was one of those who decided not to spend money on this record. But now I am glad that I am not that firm with my principles in some cases! Expecting some Blooddrunk shit with only more party atmosphere it was a real surprise to me when I first listened to it.

Read more ››
published 21.06.2011 | Comments (23)

Comments

Comments: 31   Visited by: 156 users
14.03.2012 - 01:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
First paragraph made me lawl.

Couldn't agree more with the review. Although I'd probably score it a full point lower. This is just plain bad.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.03.2012 - 03:27
Rating: 5
flamesoficarus
For me the keyboards were the highlight of the album, and even then they were hit and miss (but at least resembled something from an earlier era).
14.03.2012 - 10:26
Rating: 4
Slayer666
The album sucks so bad, the only good thing about it is the Eddie Murphy cover.
14.03.2012 - 15:17
Rating: 8
Windrider
Raureif
Quote:
"My Funeral"

First, get your facts right.
Second, never mention shit like Slipknot when talking about metal, this is ridiculous.
Third, Are You Dead Yet looks pretty good for you now? Holy shit someone needs a life.

Last one, let me hear what you think about the production, I didn't get that point.
14.03.2012 - 15:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Windrider on 14.03.2012 at 15:17
Second, never mention shit like Slipknot when talking about metal, this is ridiculous.

Aside from that elitist standpoint, let's be honest. If we're allowed to talk about CoB on Metal Storm, we should be allowed to talk about Slipknot on Metal Storm.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.03.2012 - 15:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.03.2012 at 15:30

Aside from that elitist standpoint, let's be honest. If we're allowed to talk about CoB on Metal Storm, we should be allowed to talk about Slipknot on Metal Storm.

I'd take Slipknot over anything CoB have done in recent years. Slipknot retain the virtue of being good at what they do more or less, unlike this total joke of a band.
14.03.2012 - 15:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 14.03.2012 at 15:36
I'd take Slipknot over anything CoB have done in recent years. Slipknot retain the virtue of being good at what they do more or less, unlike this total joke of a band.

My sentiments exactly. While I don't personally enjoy Slipknot's latest offerings, I still see the merit in their music.

CoB... not so much.
----
14.03.2012 - 15:43
Windrider
Raureif

Everyone his opinions on the bands, mine would be in that case that we could put up Linkin Park equally then.
14.03.2012 - 16:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Windrider on 14.03.2012 at 15:43
...we could put up Linkin Park equally then.

Might as well.
----
15.03.2012 - 01:05
Rating: 5
Svneatr
Vitharr
Written by Windrider on 14.03.2012 at 15:43

Everyone his opinions on the bands...

Yes we do, this happens to be my opinion. If I wanted your opinion I would read your review. My point on the production was that I didn't want to get into it because it speaks for itself. Whether or not you actually like the production, is up to you. I actually like CoB (sometimes) but this album for me, was pretty bad.
15.03.2012 - 13:54
Slayer666

I've said this many times before, but apparently I'll have to keep repeating myself until the end of my days on MS:
If I had a penny for every time a random retard bashes Slipknot, with no apparent reason other than the fact that it's cool to do so, I'd have enough money to buy [band]'s (CoB's, in this case) discography.

That is all, enjoy being a hypocrite.
15.03.2012 - 14:43
Windrider
Raureif
Written by Slayer666 on 15.03.2012 at 13:54

I've said this many times before, but apparently I'll have to keep repeating myself until the end of my days on MS:
If I had a penny for every time a random retard bashes Slipknot, with no apparent reason other than the fact that it's cool to do so, I'd have enough money to buy [band]'s (CoB's, in this case) discography.

That is all, enjoy being a hypocrite.

You don't have to repeat yourself but apparently you do so for your personal joy, and I don't know what's cool in bashing Slipknot? I am not active in the boards so I don't know whether there are people bashing this or that band. I just claim that their music sucks (my opinion) and it ain't metal, that's it. I don't give a fuck what others think about it.
15.03.2012 - 15:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Windrider on 15.03.2012 at 14:43

I just claim that their music sucks (my opinion) and it ain't metal, that's it.

The music may suck in your opinion but their music is metal. That's plain as day fact.
15.03.2012 - 17:04
Windrider
Raureif
Written by Guest on 15.03.2012 at 15:51

Written by Windrider on 15.03.2012 at 14:43

I just claim that their music sucks (my opinion) and it ain't metal, that's it.

The music may suck in your opinion but their music is metal. That's plain as day fact.

To me it's as much metal as Linkin Park is (they are very comparable), close to the border.
15.03.2012 - 17:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Windrider on 15.03.2012 at 17:04

To me it's as much metal as Linkin Park is (they are very comparable), close to the border.

Then you're deaf. They sound nothing alike. Slipknot are practically thrash in their first few albums and have never resembled Linkin Park. You must have giant spangly turntables in front of your eyes.
15.03.2012 - 17:13
Windrider
Raureif
Written by Guest on 15.03.2012 at 17:09

Then you're deaf. They sound nothing alike. Slipknot are practically thrash in their first few albums and have never resembled Linkin Park. You must have giant spangly turntables in front of your eyes.

Then it might be so, fuck this shit I'm tired dude. Go write your own reviews.
15.03.2012 - 17:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 15.03.2012 at 17:22
Slipknot thrash? I guess the world just keeps turning and changing.

Well their debut was kind of like an alternative death metal album so maybe that's where Joe is getting the thrash vibe.

Either way, still metal. And probably still "more metal" (if such a thing can be quantified) than CoB.
----
15.03.2012 - 17:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 15.03.2012 at 17:38
Some bouncy metal with the flow of rap music, some hardcorish (or if i have to, death metalish) angry vocals and dudes bashing percussions, spiced with dj things.

I'll take that over CoB's bland shredding and formulaic song structures and Alexi's laughable excuse for growling or screaming or whatever it is he's trying to do.
----
16.03.2012 - 20:38
Slayer666

This leads me to the conclusion you've only heard a few soft tracks from their 2008 album and thus have no fudging idea what you're talking about.
17.03.2012 - 20:37
Windrider
Raureif
Written by Slayer666 on 16.03.2012 at 20:38

This leads me to the conclusion you've only heard a few soft tracks from their 2008 album and thus have no fudging idea what you're talking about.

I don't know what tracks I've heard from them, some songs on youtube or shit, because I didn't want to hear anything else from them ever again. It was just plain bad and ridiculous how they look and they playing this softy metal-called shit. So in a way you are right.
18.03.2012 - 02:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Windrider on 17.03.2012 at 20:37
I don't know what tracks I've heard from them, some songs on youtube or shit, because I didn't want to hear anything else from them ever again. It was just plain bad and ridiculous how they look and they playing this softy metal-called shit. So in a way you are right.

If you only heard a couple of songs... you lack any right (let's not even talk about credibility) to say they are metal or not. Let alone the fact that you compared them to Linkin Park in terms of sound. What a joke Might as well say that [incert any power/symphonic metal band] ain't metal because I heard a couple of songs which turned out to be ballads (and they have a shitload of them). Or that Opeth aren't metal because the first album I downloaded was Damnation or Heritage.

People say "oh but that's my opinion" well... In my opinion Mozart is grindcore... can I really say that and back it up as an opinion without real arguments like you? Hell no, I would be fucking wrong and that's end of the story.

I guess every band that uses turntables sounds the same now....
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
18.03.2012 - 02:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.03.2012 at 17:24

Written by Guest on 15.03.2012 at 17:22
Slipknot thrash? I guess the world just keeps turning and changing.

Well their debut was kind of like an alternative death metal album so maybe that's where Joe is getting the thrash vibe.

Either way, still metal. And probably still "more metal" (if such a thing can be quantified) than CoB.

totally no death metal (alternative or otherwise) on their debut. That some of the guys in Slipknot are death metal fans does not make it death metal It's closer to thrash than death metal. But the first Slipknot is an archetypical nu-metal album. But totally metal it is.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.03.2012 - 02:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.03.2012 at 02:49
totally no death metal (alternative or otherwise) on their debut. That some of the guys in Slipknot are death metal fans does not make it death metal It's closer to thrash than death metal. But the first Slipknot is an archetypical nu-metal album. But totally metal it is.

I've never heard death in their sound, but I have picked up a couple of thrash vibes here and there but yeah, it's pretty much Nu-metal in one of their truest forms.
----
Rod, let me love you.
18.03.2012 - 02:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 18.03.2012 at 02:54

Written by X-Ray Rod on 18.03.2012 at 02:30

I don't know if you are familiar with the both bands' (Knot Park) debuts, but the turntables aren't the only similarity. Slipknot was the aggressive one, whereas Linkin Park (with the less 'furious' tracks of its vanilla nu-metal) was ok for mainstream radio channels.

Slipknot was also all over the mainstream radio channels at the time of the debut. Just as much as Linkin Park
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.03.2012 - 02:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Guest on 18.03.2012 at 02:54

Written by X-Ray Rod on 18.03.2012 at 02:30

I don't know if you are familiar with the both bands' (Knot Park) debuts, but the turntables aren't the only similarity. Slipknot was the aggressive one, whereas Linkin Park (with the less 'furious' tracks of its vanilla nu-metal) was ok for mainstream radio channels.

I see very few similarities between Linkin Park and Slipknot, I see enough to not ignore them... but I see still too few to say they sound alike.
----
Rod, let me love you.
18.03.2012 - 03:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
LP and Slipknot sound nothing like each other, you might as well say that Korn or Deftones sound like them
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.03.2012 - 03:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 18.03.2012 at 03:01

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.03.2012 at 02:56

Slipknot was also all over the mainstream radio channels at the time of the debut. Just as much as Linkin Park

Well, on some channels maybe, MTV played Slipknot videos quite a lot, at least on some shows. Linkin Park was all the time pretty much everywhere. We live in a different countries, so different radio cultures maybe? I listened both of them from a CD anyway. Crush the radios

I ignored both on cd and switched off the radio whent hey came one. FOund them shit at the time and still find them shit today.
Both bands clearly aimed at popularity and mainstream succes and were and still are marketing gimmicks
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.03.2012 - 03:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.03.2012 at 03:03
I ignored both on cd and switched off the radio whent hey came one. FOund them shit at the time and still find them shit today.
Both bands clearly aimed at popularity and mainstream succes and were and still are marketing gimmicks

It kind of feels their popularity has lowered or is it just me? I mean, Slipknot might be same as before but it feels like less people are caring about LP.
----
Rod, let me love you.
18.03.2012 - 03:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Guest on 18.03.2012 at 03:08
That's because they make some short of alien-shit-music nowadays.

Aye, even those I know who loved their first couple of albums utterly hate what they have done recently.
----
Rod, let me love you.
18.03.2012 - 03:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 18.03.2012 at 03:07

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.03.2012 at 03:03

The 2 first Slipknot's are still quite great, especially Iowa (the last tracks in it are the climax of it). Linkin Park's [Hybrid Theory] was fun at the time, now ok. Well, yea. I don't really care about things outside music.

Also Slipknot's first two are horrible to my ears always was and always will be. Wannabe sound like extreme music but failing at it.Yes I did hear those albums in their entirty cause some frineds of mine seemed to love it so had to sit through them at parties.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 4117 | This month: 13