N/A

48 users:
Band: Monolithe
Album: Interlude Second
Style: Doom metal
Release date: January 2012

01. Harmony Of Null Matter - Section 1
02. Harmony Of Null Matter - Section 2

What a fascinating entity Monolithe have become. This recently emerged EP has perhaps brought them closer to the mystery that their name and artwork has always hinted at, that of the glorious existential imaginings of 2001: A Space Odyssey, than their (admittedly excellent) funeral doom incarnations of Monolithe I and Monolithe II. In fact it's safe to say they've exited the realms of doom altogether and transferred dimensions to a plateau of relatively structure-free mechanised, if not industrialised, landscaping.

Unquestionably this is a drone (though not drone metal as such) and percussion driven record. At every corner you'll experience some form of clicking-cum-pounding array of drum patterning, permanently shrouded in tightly wrapped and timed bass, with a looser, snaking yet ever-present synth circling it like rock and ice particles orbiting a planet. The guitars are there... somewhere, but it's difficult to evaluate their true relevance until the shorter, second track begins where they define themselves in clear, discordant, yet melodic strokes. The occasional breaking gruff vocal exclamations scattered throughout its 35 minute discourse neither add or take much away from the music other than perhaps giving a familiar glimpse of normality. This is not music that is pointed toward any trite emotional exposition, the melancholy of doom or the coldness of black metal, it isn't going to require hours of mental preparation or a round trip of Merzbow and Throbbing Gristle records to acclimate oneself, it's surprisingly neutral and palatable. Just ultimately different. Ultimately alien.

A 25 + 10 minute duo of obscure convention breaking sonic exploration might seem too much of an undertaking to sit through, but... it really isn't. As I said, this isn't aimed at distorting the mind through pain and force, rather by a mellow form of attrition and hypnosis, slowly working its way under the skin. By its end it'll feel like a pleasant drone. The back of your neck will resonate with the bass, your grey matter will have adapted to the timezone of the drums effortlessly and your memory will have recognised the paths of the synths. You'll be happy, if spatially bemused.

It's no secret that Blut Aus Nord's masterbrain, Vindsval, has or at least had incorporated Monolithe into his record label Appease Me with promises of featuring himself as a vocal talent on the long awaited Monolithe III (now supposedly being released under Debemur Mortii) so one has to ponder at the influential forces he exerted on this. Even so, this is far from his nihilistic and apocalyptic undertakings, and while often atonal, it is rarely unpleasant and difficult but always thoroughly excellent. But don't take my word for it, take theirs.

Written by | 14.03.2012

Guest review by
InnerSelf
Rating:
Those of you familiar with 2001: A Space Odyssey know what the Monolith stands for, an unearthly messenger that saved the man-ape from extinction and taught him how to hunt and survive in a barren desiccated land. Its appearance was the fictional point in history when we, humans, truly exited from the most primeval and undeveloped version of us. Monolithe assume the role of this beacon of enlightenment, taking us in a journey far beyond in space towards cosmic realms no man ever dreamed of reaching ?

Read more ››
published 16.04.2012 | Comments (3)

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 82   Visited by: 198 users
14.03.2012 - 22:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by tea[m]ster on 14.03.2012 at 22:33

I saw funeral doom for a "tag" on another website, true?

Hell no. They used to be funeral doom but this isn't. Check out their bandcamp page.
14.03.2012 - 22:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by tea[m]ster on 14.03.2012 at 22:33

I saw funeral doom for a "tag" on another website, true?

their previous albums were, but apparently this one isn't. But even for funeral doom they were very light weight making Shape Of Despair sound heavy and raw.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.03.2012 - 22:38
Rating: 7
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Guest on 14.03.2012 at 22:34

Hell no. They used to be funeral doom but this isn't. Check out their bandcamp page.

Whew, I was gonna say. Your review gave no indication of that. I will check this out, I am always willing to explore other musical avenues!
----
rekt
14.03.2012 - 22:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by tea[m]ster on 14.03.2012 at 22:38

Whew, I was gonna say. Your review gave no indication of that. I will check this out, I am always willing to explore other musical avenues!

"In fact it's safe to say they've exited the realms of doom altogether"

Looks pretty clear to me =P
14.03.2012 - 22:40
Rating: 10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

Whew, I was gonna say.

I take it you don't dig Funeral Doom too much?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.03.2012 - 22:44
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.03.2012 at 22:40

Whew, I was gonna say.

I take it you don't dig Funeral Doom too much?

LOL, did I imply that in a subtle way? I didn't want to be a horses ass about it. That stuff just isn't my brand of vodka!
----
rekt
14.03.2012 - 22:45
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by tea[m]ster on 14.03.2012 at 22:44
LOL, did I imply that in a subtle way? I didn't want to be a horses ass about it. That stuff just isn't my brand of vodka!

I hate vodka.
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.03.2012 - 22:46
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Guest on 14.03.2012 at 22:40

Looks pretty clear to me =P

Aside from stating the obvious, that tag I saw just didn't make sense. Oh and it's on a few other websites too...do they actually LISTEN to the music or do they use the force?
----
rekt
14.03.2012 - 22:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by tea[m]ster on 14.03.2012 at 22:46
do they actually LISTEN to the music or do they use the force?

It's the classic "the band played X before but now they play Y but I don't accept changes (even if I like it) so I'll keep calling them X" behaviour.

Pretty stupid indeed.
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.03.2012 - 22:51
Edmund Fogg

Written by Guest on 14.03.2012 at 20:08

Cheers, I noticed a minute ago that you said you have a review lined up (on the album thread) so apologise if I pissed on your fire too!

Nah my review is still a work in progress for a french webzines. Actually I'm working my way to Staff reviewer over there. Don't worry guys I'll still be here.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
14.03.2012 - 22:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Edmund Fogg on 14.03.2012 at 22:51

Nah my review is still a work in progress for a french webzines. Actually I'm working my way to Staff reviewer over there. Don't worry guys I'll still be here.

Ah nice. Good luck with that ;]
15.03.2012 - 04:26
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Frone has a nice ring to it indeed, Lets start a trend.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.03.2012 - 12:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 15.03.2012 at 04:26

Lets start a trend.

Let's start a war! Start a nuclear war. At the gay bar, gay bar, gay bar
15.03.2012 - 16:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 15.03.2012 at 12:56
Let's start a war! Start a nuclear war. At the gay bar, gay bar, gay bar

Lyrics from Section 2?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.03.2012 - 16:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.03.2012 at 16:02

Lyrics from Section 2?

That would be awesome. I'd love to see a collaboration between Monolithe and Electric Six.
16.03.2012 - 00:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 15.03.2012 at 12:56

Written by Boxcar Willy on 15.03.2012 at 04:26

Lets start a trend.

Let's start a war!

Heh, when I read this part my mind went straight to Acid Bath's "Cheap Vodka".

Let's start a riot! Let's start a war! Everybody that you know is a whore! Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. I don't care. If there's gonna be blood, we'll be there!
----
Rod, let me love you.
16.03.2012 - 00:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.03.2012 at 00:58

Heh, when I read this part my mind went straight to Acid Bath's "Cheap Vodka".

Let's start a riot! Let's start a war! Everybody that you know is a whore! Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. I don't care. If there's gonna be blood, we'll be there!

Well I guess you win on manliness stakes. Especially if my mind goes straight to a song about a gay bar.
16.03.2012 - 14:34
Merchant of Doom

I don't hear any drone (or frone) in this. I would call it apocalyptic progressive doom metal(ish)... completely different from the previous two albums.
16.03.2012 - 14:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Merchant of Doom on 16.03.2012 at 14:34

I don't hear any drone (or frone) in this. I would call it apocalyptic progressive doom metal(ish)... completely different from the previous two albums.

What kind of drone were you thinking of? You may or may not realise but "drone" isn't restricted to drone metal (and as I said in the review this is not drone metal). In fact as a concept it was around way before (even used in classical music). This isn't any form of progressive doom because there's no doom here whatsoever. If this album had no prior connection to the doom scene you or anyone else wouldn't be using words like "doom". This is a textural soundscaping exercise that isn't noise and it isn't dark ambient, it ultimately ends up more of a drone product than anything else (or some kind of experimental music if you wanted). I mean really, where the hell are the "doom" riffs? And why do you think this is "apocalyptic"? This band is themed along the lines of the human origin, if anything that's the polar opposite of apocalyptic.
16.03.2012 - 14:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

apocalyptic progressive doom metal...

aha a new made up term just like frone
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.03.2012 - 15:07
Merchant of Doom

Written by Guest on 16.03.2012 at 14:36

What kind of drone were you thinking of? You may or may not realise but "drone" isn't restricted to drone metal (and as I said in the review this is not drone metal). In fact as a concept it was around way before (even used in classical music). This isn't any form of progressive doom because there's no doom here whatsoever. If this album had no prior connection to the doom scene you or anyone else wouldn't be using words like "doom". This is a textural soundscaping exercise that isn't noise and it isn't dark ambient, it ultimately ends up more of a drone product than anything else (or some kind of experimental music if you wanted). I mean really, where the hell are the "doom" riffs? And why do you think this is "apocalyptic"? This band is themed along the lines of the human origin, if anything that's the polar opposite of apocalyptic.

well, Sylvain Bégot still calls it a doom project and it's definitely doom inspired (at least the first part). I would still use the word doom, because it has its roots in doom (the harsh vocals pretty much underline the concept) and - as far as I'm concerned - has a doomy underlying atmosphere. It's not just the music or the riffs. Doom music doesn't have to have riffs. It's quite tiring hearing these stereotypes about doom metal on this site. And I still think it's progressive and not drone - and I didn't say you called it drone metal. It's still not drone. And if 2001: Space Odyssey (which you quoted) is not apocalyptic, then tell me what it is... all in all a very misguided review, if you want my frank opinion.
16.03.2012 - 15:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Merchant of Doom on 16.03.2012 at 15:07

well, Sylvain Bégot still calls it a doom project and it's definitely doom inspired (at least the first part). I would still use the word doom, because it has its roots in doom (the harsh vocals pretty much underline the concept) and - as far as I'm concerned - has a doomy underlying atmosphere. It's not just the music or the riffs. Doom music doesn't have to have riffs. It's quite tiring hearing these stereotypes about doom metal on this site. And I still think it's progressive and not drone - and I didn't say you called it drone metal. It's still not drone. And if 2001: Space Odyssey (which you quoted) is not apocalyptic, then tell me what it is... all in all a very misguided review, if you want my frank opinion.

He can call it a pop-thrash project if he wants, it doesn't make it so. Roots and previous records are irrelevant when it's the music that speaks for itself. The vocals could belong to a number of genres, a pointless example, it doesn't lend itself in any way to a "doom" category or feel.

It's funny, you're talking about stereotypes about genre classifications yet it's you that's forcing the issue of what this "is" - it's clear to me you have such an attachment to everything "doom" that you're seeing doom wherever and whenever you want to, even when it doesn't exist. This isn't progressing anything, most certainly not doom. If you want to see doom in everything and transcend it to a magical la-la dimension where doom can exist without some kind of tangible riff or concept from which it is made and known then that's your business but please don't pollute other people's logic with such drivel

And I would absolutely not call 2001 an apocalyptic film. What an utterly ridiculous notion... apocalytpic = end of humanity. Please point out where that theme fits into 2001, bearing in mind the film is more concerned with human evolution, again, the polar opposite of apocalyptic. It's been a while since I met someone with such a tenuous grip on reality, it's you that's totally misguided ;]
16.03.2012 - 15:38
Merchant of Doom

Written by Guest on 16.03.2012 at 15:15

Written by Merchant of Doom on 16.03.2012 at 15:07

He can call it a pop-thrash project if he wants, it doesn't make it so. Roots and previous records are irrelevant when it's the music that speaks for itself. The vocals could belong to a number of genres, a pointless example, it doesn't lend itself in any way to a "doom" category or feel.

It's funny, you're talking about stereotypes about genre classifications yet it's you that's forcing the issue of what this "is" - it's clear to me you have such an attachment to everything "doom" that you're seeing doom wherever and whenever you want to, even when it doesn't exist. This isn't progressing anything, most certainly not doom. If you want to see doom in everything and transcend it to a magical la-la dimension where doom can exist without some kind of tangible riff or concept from which it is made and known then that's your business but please don't pollute other people's logic with such drivel

And I would absolutely not call 2001 an apocalyptic film. What an utterly ridiculous notion... apocalytpic = end of humanity. Please point out where that theme fits into 2001, bearing in mind the film is more concerned with human evolution, again, the polar opposite of apocalyptic. It's been a while since I met someone with such a tenuous grip on reality, it's you that's totally misguided ;]

I always love it when reviewers can't take criticism and resort to insulting other people's opinions. No wonder your average audience is 15.
16.03.2012 - 15:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Merchant of Doom on 16.03.2012 at 15:38

I always love it when reviewers can't take criticism and resort to insulting other people's opinions. No wonder your average audience is 15.

I'm calling your opinions ridiculous and I've levelled counter arguments against those ridiculous opinions (which you've yet to answer by the way).

What you're doing isn't criticism, it's plain absurdity ;] And trying to change tact to this attempt at making me out as someone committing the Ad Hominem Fallacy is not only untrue (because I've countered what you've posited, even when what you've stated is virtually impossible to tackle logically) but it seems like a feeble way of avoiding the topic at hand.
16.03.2012 - 15:46
Merchant of Doom

Of course it is. Because I don't like your tone. We can discuss it when you grow up.
16.03.2012 - 15:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Merchant of Doom on 16.03.2012 at 15:46

Of course it is. Because I don't like your tone. We can discuss it when you grow up.

Ok, we'll discuss this when you get a grip on reality and stop making the world spin around your own head ;]
16.03.2012 - 15:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Seems someone is hurt... and that someone isn''t the reviewer
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.03.2012 - 16:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.03.2012 at 15:52

Seems someone is hurt... and that someone isn''t the reviewer

Well I probably shouldn't have called him ridiculous but when I remember it's someone who's made a career from pointing out errors in people's reviews with his own made up criteria about doom and what have you I start to feel less bad.
16.03.2012 - 16:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
What a joke. This is probably the least misguided review I've read on this site - including reviews I myself have written. The only doom bits I heard were the vocals, which reminded me of Esoteric, which on their own do not make this in any other way associated with doom at all.

It's weird to see you get defensive over being called out for trying to assert yourself as a doom elitist, MoD.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.03.2012 - 16:33
Merchant of Doom

Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.03.2012 at 16:10

It's weird to see you get defensive over being called out for trying to assert yourself as a doom elitist, MoD.

I have feelings too, you know? Incident closed...

Hits total: 6277 | This month: 10