01. Awaken The Sleeping
02. The Hunter
03. Destined Solitaire
04. Until You Comply
05. Without You
06. Green Waves
07. Roulette
+ Making Of "Mammoth"

Dear progheads, why the hell have not we been discussing this album? As far as I am concerned, Mammoth is the shit! This is a prog rock album that exhibits so much pure emotion, it is overwhelming. However, this is not the atmospheric Riverside type of angry/sad sentiment. This is more of a fun album, but the simplicity (how dare I use this word in a prog review) of expression just screams sincere emotion.

Beardfish have fun on other records of theirs, and on Mammoth they are in top shape. Everything is natural on Mammoth and of high quality, even though the formula for this album simply seems to be "sing and play from your heart." These guys definitely are not trying to impress with complexity or technique, but in the end one can hear a bit of both, and that is what draws me to this album so much.

Some songs are more complex and some are less, but all exhibit the spirit of just rocking out. Listen to "Green Waves": the first five minutes totally sound like a mix of Scorpions and Deep Purple in their heavier modes, but then the band goes full-on King Crimson/Camel/Yes and spews out 70's prog rock at its catchiest. The band bridges the two worlds on other songs and masterfully intertwines them. In the end, neither do they sound bland and outdated nor turn awesome songs into boring wankfest compositions; the balance is maintained.

Mammoth easily keeps the listener interested because it has the stuff that always works, albeit not necessarily in prog: them being riffs and solos, with those prog elements lurking behind and waiting to get their two cents in, and when they do, it still rocks. An extra amount of win is achieved by the use of saxophone on "And the Stone Said: If I Could Speak" and "Akakabotu," where it is present throughout the whole song and manifests itself in all the different lights. Ladies and gentlemen, this is prog rock at its best, so, in the name of justice, don't miss out on this album - well, and this band in general.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 10

Written by K✞ulu | 17.03.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 46 users
17.03.2012 - 08:44
Milena
gloom cookie
One of those bands I really need to listen to.
----
7.0 means the album is good
17.03.2012 - 08:46
Rating: 8
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Milena on 17.03.2012 at 08:44

One of those bands I really need to listen to.

Amen!

What are you doing up so early on Saturday anyways (allegedly, this question has something to do with the review)?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
17.03.2012 - 08:49
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by K✞ulu on 17.03.2012 at 08:46

Amen!

What are you doing up so early on Saturday anyways (allegedly, this question has something to do with the review)?

Checking up on MS before I venture onto college (we have college on Saturday mornings and exams on Sundays), so you can notice the lack of smileys due to my misery.

Oh, and I used to always get up this early.
----
7.0 means the album is good
17.03.2012 - 12:52
Ivor
Staff
Quote:
Mammoth Sleeping in Traffic: Part Two is the shit!

There, fixed it. While Mammoth is an interesting album, it by far falls short of the adventurous approach of Sleeping in Traffic: Part Two. One of the most interesting aspects of Beardfish, is their singer, Rikard Sjöblom. There's a guy who has control of his voice with awesome delivery.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
17.03.2012 - 13:51
Rating: 8
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Ivor on 17.03.2012 at 12:52

Quote:
Mammoth Sleeping in Traffic: Part Two is the shit!

There, fixed it. While Mammoth is an interesting album, it by far falls short of the adventurous approach of i Sleepingn Traffic: Part Two. One of the most interesting aspects of Beardfish, is their singer, Rikard Sjöblom. There's a guy who has control of his voice with awesome delivery.

I.

Sleepingn Traffic: Part Two is a great album, but Mammoth has its own spirit. As far as Rikard Sjöblom, I completely agree, a very versatile singer; I don't know why that stupid reviewer did not say anything about him...
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy

Hits total: 4075 | This month: 2