Metal Storm logo
The Dillinger Escape Plan

Original post

Posted by Twilight, 18.05.2006 - 18:04
I was missing a topic about these guys.

The Dillinger Escape Plan, not really a band to easily put a genre on.
Their music is so hyper-active, yet extremely technical. Ben Weinman, on of the guitarists, is a genius and he can play guitar in such a brilliant way.
Someone once said that he actually plays Free Jazz, but in an extremely fast and hyper-active way.

Some people think this band is pure noise, but I can find the greatness in this music. It's very interesting.

Has anyone seen them live already? Unfortunately I didn't. I heard they're awesome live.
10.12.2007 - 07:13
LethargyMan

So I "got" the new album (college radio stations are nice places )

My impression is that DEP doesn't really know what they want to do. Just over 1/2 the songs are the usual math-laden, while the other half have the Patton-esque style of "this song kinda sounds normal but not really." There really isn't much flow between tracks, and it seems the band was kinda struggling for direction, either in their attempt to be a second-rate Mr.Bungle/Fantomas hybrid or to just play the same stuff they've been doing since the band started.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
10.12.2007 - 20:26
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
A new audio interview with The Dillinger Escape Plan has been posted at Metalhead.ro here.
16.12.2007 - 02:17
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Their latest album is really disappointing...
Most of the songs sound like above-average Linkin Park rip-offs, or something.
I think I know why Chris Pennie left the band, their job just seems kind of 'done', maybe.

Too bad, I hoped they would make a mixture of their previous two albums. But then again, almost no band repeats itself.
21.12.2007 - 11:31
BloodTears
ANA-thema
There is a big hype about this band now. I never listened to them, never felt the calling. Maybe I never will, who knows.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
25.12.2007 - 21:49
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Written by BloodTears on 21.12.2007 at 11:31

There is a big hype about this band now. I never listened to them, never felt the calling. Maybe I never will, who knows.

Big hype now?
I can imagine, because it sounds (roughly) like Linkin Park now.
I've never really heard about a hype around this band, although I can understand they had some influence.
But I guess their inspiration kind of faded away with their latest album...
25.12.2007 - 22:53
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Twilight on 25.12.2007 at 21:49

Written by BloodTears on 21.12.2007 at 11:31

Big hype now?
I can imagine, because it sounds (roughly) like Linkin Park now.
I've never really heard about a hype around this band, although I can understand they had some influence.
But I guess their inspiration kind of faded away with their latest album...

Yes. Everyone seems to be listening to them.
----

My Instagram
26.12.2007 - 00:28
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Looking at your profile I think you might like them. Just try out Calculating Infinity or Miss Machine.
29.12.2007 - 21:52
IllNiñoSweden

The Dillinger Escape Plan is a good band.
They have very good tracks from the new album.
But maybe too much progressiv metal.
12.01.2008 - 14:35
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Twilight on 26.12.2007 at 00:28

Looking at your profile I think you might like them. Just try out Calculating Infinity or Miss Machine.

You think i'll like them? I listened to some of the songs and the voice was so irritating I'm sorry. Maybe the rest is better.
----

My Instagram
12.01.2008 - 17:37
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Oh man, the new album is amazing. It is one of the best albums I have heard from 2007. I am going to be seeing DEP supporting KsE next week. I can not wait to see them live.
----
(space for rent)
03.02.2008 - 15:40
doomina
Account deleted
calculating infinity and miss machine are two of the best albums ever!
but i've expected much more from ire works ...
and fuck: i can't see them live cause i'm at hospital ... damn!
13.02.2008 - 18:16
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
BandRescue.com recently conducted an interview with The Dillinger Escape Plan at The Tabernacle in Atlanta, Georgia. You can watch the chat in two parts here and here.
13.02.2008 - 21:44
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
The lastest album is crap, except Fix Your Face and the usual hyperactive stuff. But all the emotional stuff just doesn't suit Dillinger Escape Plan at all!
No wonder Chris Pennie left the band. I really like their first two albums, this third one is just so disappointing...
All the rawness and hyperactivity is just gone! Such a shame.
13.02.2008 - 23:24
Sean3h
Account deleted
Love these guys. New album is not that great, but I still love their other releases. However their performance on the Conan O'Brien show was atrocious.

http://www.buzzgrinder.com/2008/video-dillinger-escape-plan-on-conan-obrien/

The song in itself is boring, but the overall performance was just really languid and uninspired.
03.08.2009 - 05:58
wormdrink414

Public Enemies was a mediocre film.
Can't state the same for this band. I can state, however, that this band is a piece of shit.
03.08.2009 - 11:44
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Based on that video, their last album or their entire discography?

I have to admit that it went all downhill after Miss Machine, BUT they used to be great. IF you're in for some creative skillful heavy music.
03.08.2009 - 21:16
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by wormdrink414 on 03.08.2009 at 05:58

Public Enemies was a mediocre film.
Can't state the same for this band. I can state, however, that this band is a piece of shit.

Why do you think that?
----
(space for rent)
04.08.2009 - 08:19
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I tried listening to them again but I still find their music to be too erratic and all over the place for me...they have some great riffs here and there and they're talented musicians though...
11.11.2011 - 06:59
JÄY
Metal slave
I saw these guys open up for Mastodon and they put on the worst show I've ever seen. Simple drums, off-key singing and 0 good riffs......BUT MASTODON WAS STILL WORTH IT.
12.01.2012 - 03:18
JD
Account deleted
Can't stop listening to these crazy guys.
17.01.2012 - 10:57
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Guest on 12.01.2012 at 03:18

Can't stop listening to these crazy guys.

I started listening to these guys after listening to THe Number 12 looks like you... i cant see anything impressive with these guys.
03.05.2014 - 06:24
Dr.Overkill26

DEP freaking slays, I own all their lps, Have seen them live twice, they are fantastic live. I also enjoy bands like Converge and Botch, (and I loge both of those bands) although this is a DILLINGER thread, I think it's silly to post or compare them to other bands here. It is also worth noting That DEP is widely considered a hugely influential band, Bands such as Deftones, Meshuggah, and Lars Ulrich have cited them as being enjoyable. Going to say right now please spare me the "Lars sucks ass ETC" kind of talk, would be happy to discuss that elsewhere. And again, not comparing them to those bands, just citing their scale of influence. Periphery is another one, really all these "Mathcore" bands that have popped up in the wake of DEP's existence.
----
Do you need what I need? Boundaries overthrown Look inside to each his own
Do you trust what I trust? me myself and I Penetrate the smoke screen I see Through the selfish lie
03.05.2014 - 12:56
Dr.Overkill26

Also worth noting that Calculating Infinity is Dynamic, Diverse and a freaking MASTERPIECE!
----
Do you need what I need? Boundaries overthrown Look inside to each his own
Do you trust what I trust? me myself and I Penetrate the smoke screen I see Through the selfish lie
15.02.2015 - 22:24
Ganondox

I like their "soft", "normal" songs, but their brutal songs are too brutal for me. Cannibal Corpse is easier to digest than the beautiful chaos of Dillinger.
18.02.2015 - 10:46
Deathmaster

ARRRRGGGGHHHH So naturally this thread is loaded with posts from people whom don't 'get' Dillinger Escape plan. And That's cool, they're certainly not for everybody. Are their ANY DEP Fans on MS aside from myself?
----
"While I live let me live deep."-Robert Howard
18.02.2015 - 10:49
Deathmaster

Written by Ganondox on 15.02.2015 at 22:24

I like their "soft", "normal" songs, but their brutal songs are too brutal for me. Cannibal Corpse is easier to digest than the beautiful chaos of Dillinger.

Um so you mean songs like Black Bubblegum, Setting Fire to sleeping Giants, Unretrofied, Widower, Parasitic Twins, One of us is the Killer etc?
----
19.02.2015 - 12:21
Ganondox

Written by Deathmaster on 18.02.2015 at 10:49

Written by Ganondox on 15.02.2015 at 22:24

Um so you mean songs like Black Bubblegum, Setting Fire to sleeping Giants, Unretrofied, Widower, Parasitic Twins, One of us is the Killer etc?

Yeah those, also Milk Lizard. Some of those songs have some pretty mixed in though, like Setting Fire to Sleeping Giants. Love that song. I also rather like Happiness is a Smile.
19.03.2015 - 08:34
Deathmaster

@Ganandox: Dude I just listened to One of us is the Killer again, it's awesome!
Fuck the haters, Dillinger rules!
----
05.06.2016 - 23:19
WayTooManyCDs

I almost didn't make it through Calculating Infinity the first time I listened to it, it was so brutal that I could barely handle it. In time I've come to love the horror movie vibe mixed with the relationship turmoil. I feel like this is what most angsty music intends to be but doesn't have the talent to pull off.

I hated Miss Machine, sounded too much like Greg Puciato was trying to be Dimitri Minakakis in terms of vocals and it just wasn't working. Ire Works was a significant step up with Puciato focusing more on his strengths, mainly his clean vocals, and churning out a really interesting album. Option Paralysis, besides having a really cool name, was a continuation of Ire Works and cemented Puciato as the voice everyone would forever associate TDEP with.

I haven't heard the new album yet as I haven't been in much of a TDEP mood lately but I look forward to giving it a listen when I can.