Metal Storm logo
The Dillinger Escape Plan

18.05.2006 - 18:04
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
I was missing a topic about these guys.

The Dillinger Escape Plan, not really a band to easily put a genre on.
Their music is so hyper-active, yet extremely technical. Ben Weinman, on of the guitarists, is a genius and he can play guitar in such a brilliant way.
Someone once said that he actually plays Free Jazz, but in an extremely fast and hyper-active way.

Some people think this band is pure noise, but I can find the greatness in this music. It's very interesting.

Has anyone seen them live already? Unfortunately I didn't. I heard they're awesome live.
18.05.2006 - 18:13
Thryce
Retired Staff
Dillinger Escape Plan - Set Release Date For New Download-Only EP :

Dillinger Escape Plan are releasing a digital download EP exclusive to ITunes on June 13th. Featuring new versions of Dillinger classics 'Unretrofied' (radio edit) and The Perfect Design' (live), the EP will also be made up of various cover versions the band have done including Wish (Nine Inch Nails), Angel (Massive Attack), Jesus Christ Pose (Soundgarden) and Like I Love You (Justin Timberlake) all recorded and mixed by guitarist Benjamin Weinman on his laptop in his bedroom!

Dillinger Escape Plan have been taking time out since December 2005 due to surgery on Weinman's arm but the band have been writing and demoing new for their next album. The band are also preparing for the release of their Miss Machine DVD - the DVD is packed with all Miss Machine related material including all the music videos made for the record, behind the scenes footage and a live video from the Miss Machine touring cycle.

Starting June 13th, Dillinger Escape Plan will play as direct support for AFI during their inaugural North American tour for its new record. This summer tour will also include Nightmare Of You. In addition to their dates with AFI, they will be doing several headlining shows with label mates Dysrhythmia in tow. A listing of DEP tour dates can be found at their MySpace page here here.

(Source : http://www.pitchforkmedia.com)
----
Your favorite band sucks.
18.05.2006 - 19:57
eleftheria
Account deleted
Dillinger Escape Plan are actually in a genre called Mathcore. Many of my friends are crazy with this band. I find their work very intresting, especially the album featuring Mike Patton. I haven't seen them live, but I've heard that at the end of each concert they set a fire on the stage and burn all their equipment! Much money for spare...
19.05.2006 - 13:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I have seen this band twice live now, and my god live they blow you away even more than on album. The concerts only last for a bit more than an hour but both the audience and the band are totally dead after that. Dillinger are one of the most energetic live bands I have ever seen in the 23 years I have been going to concerts..
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.05.2006 - 11:01
Thryce
Retired Staff
Dillinger Escape Plan - "Jesus Christ Pose" Cover Posted Online :

Dillinger Escape Plan's cover of "Jesus Christ Pose" by Soundgarden has been posted on their official MySpace page. The track comes off their iTunes exclusive EP entitled "Plagiarism", which will be released June 13th.

(Source : http://www.myspace.com/tdep)
----
Your favorite band sucks.
30.05.2006 - 11:20
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Hmm, this doesn't sound like them at all. But ah well, it's a cover. I really hope their own songs will still sound a lot like the songs on Calculating Infinity and Miss Machine. Their hyper-active stuff rules.
01.06.2006 - 12:25
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Panasonic Youth blew me away! Really weird stuff. Do I like it or not? Most of the times it sounds totally fread I do, so..

Thanks! They're gaining a lot of popularity around here in th Netherlands.. I was alwyas too lazy to check them out, but I did now.. thanks again.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
01.06.2006 - 15:20
Ur-Nammu
Account deleted
@Ozman, yea, judging by the live footage I've seen, they're rather insane. The one clip where they torch the drums after the set is great

How do you people feel about Irony Is a Dead Scene, a collaboration between DEP and the great veteran of the alternative scene, Mike Patton... I personally dig the insanity and frantic chaos of the EP, Patton's vocal delivery is mad, but superb.
01.06.2006 - 15:51
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Hmm that cover of Jesus Christ Pose is pretty crappy. Nothing wrong with it musically, but the vocals are just atrocious, unfortunately. Only really talented vocalists should try to imitate Chris Cornell
01.06.2006 - 21:05
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Yeah indeed. It's quite disappointing actually. I mean Dillinger Escape Plan are known for their very agressive technical metal, but this doesn't sound like that at all. But once again, it's still a cover, I bet it's hard to make a song by Sound Garden extremely agressive like their own work.
I'm really looking forward to listening some new work of their own!
09.06.2006 - 14:38
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
i missed them when they played live near me on the miss machine tour. hope they play here again

i love them anyway. incredible band. i almost feel tempted to splash out and buy the 2-disc version of miss machine and the recently released dvd. hopefully that dvd will have lots of stuff from the first album and the Ep's as well.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
20.06.2006 - 01:37
ASiema113

Ok I feel that I must mention this b/c there are people who watch too much MTV and get confused. First of all DEP is not MATHCORE, on their cd's I bet you will not once find the word MATHCORE anywhere I feel that people just try to label things b/c they don't know how to describe something or have a need to label things. But the truth is they don't really tie into a single genre b/c this band is too talented to be put next to bands like Mudvayne. The way I see it is if it's not broken then dont fix it, also they have some relation to the other bands under the label Relapse some great bands on their like DYING FETUS! But that's a band for another forum all i'm saying is people are quick to judge sometimes one should put some thought into something before you state it as a fact.
----

Written by Guest on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
20.06.2006 - 10:56
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Only one post in here labeled DEP as 'mathcore'. No-one else did. I won't label them because it's just hard to do with these guys. People say it's metalcore, other people say it's hardcore, but I don't really agree with that. They're too different to just have that label.
20.06.2006 - 14:58
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
its technical hardcore on the first album. second one is a bit weirder but would still fall under the bracket of technical hardcore really, just with a more modern and experimental sound to it.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
05.07.2006 - 21:20
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
DEP is Alright...Kinda overrated, Check Out Converge - "Jane Doe", shits all over anything Dillinger puts out
08.07.2006 - 04:19
MaritoM@nson
Account deleted
DEP IS GREAT REALLY GREAT... I LIKE IT SO MUCH, BUT WELL I WAS LISTENING TO A BAND CALLED NORMA JEAN( REALLY SIMILAR) BUT WELL DEP IS FUCKING AWESOME !!!
20.07.2006 - 01:13
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 08.07.2006 at 04:19

DEP IS GREAT REALLY GREAT... I LIKE IT SO MUCH, BUT WELL I WAS LISTENING TO A BAND CALLED NORMA JEAN( REALLY SIMILAR) BUT WELL DEP IS FUCKING AWESOME !!!

DEP and Norma Jean Sound Nothing Alike Man...Norma Jean is very mediocre...kind of a Poor Man's Coalesce...anyways DEP's Best Work was With Mike Patton on The "Irony is a Dead Scene e.p"
20.07.2006 - 23:25
MaritoM@nson
Account deleted
MMM TRY TO LISTEN THE LAST ALBUM OF NORMA JEAN AND THE LAST ALBUM OF DEP AND THEY HAVE SOME SIMILAR SONGS... YEP THE BEST WORK OF DEP WAS WITH MIKE PATTON Y HAVE ALL THE DEP CDS AND WELL IT'S THE BEST.
23.07.2006 - 10:53
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
i really dont see any similarities, Dillinger escape Plan has that choatic expermental sound similiar to Fantomas or Converge...where Norma Jean Plays slowed down Sludgy Metalcore...
25.07.2006 - 00:07
Nyhus
Account deleted
Goddamn. Listened to Panasonic Youth now. That was just noise.
25.07.2006 - 03:54
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Nyhus is right...what's the point of making noise anyway...a lot of people i've talked to enjoy the fact that it's so intense and complex...it's intense yes but there is just no way that i'm going to enjoy any complexity that this band has to offer if the noise aspect of their musicality is so distorted and so overbearing...

I went and saw them once for $11...I guess that Dillinger tickets will never go for any higher due to obvious reasons

I think they should tone it down...they have so much potential but I think they have ADD and they aren't too focused....their musical genuis comes across as just noise to many people...
25.07.2006 - 13:10
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
That's because many people don't listen good enough.
I admit it's quite noisy, but I'm absolutely able to hear melodies played by the guitarist. They make complex and technical music, it just goes so fast it's hard to follow, that's why people stop listening to them.
And yes, the whole band has ADHD, but does it matter? You must've seen the guitarists playing while swinging their guitars around and running around the stage, they still play the songs perfectly.

Ah well, it's just music that isn't for everyone. And if you think they should tone it down you suggest exactly what DEP's existence isn't about. Why should you change your music if it attracts more people while you prefer to play your music the old way? I respect DEP for doing their own thing, and I love it!
25.07.2006 - 14:35
thefadedline

Man, how can you place Dillinger Escape Plan in here? There music is stupidly technical!
----
Relax and let the seat take the battery
25.07.2006 - 16:43
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Written by Guest on 25.07.2006 at 03:54

Nyhus is right...what's the point of making noise anyway...a lot of people i've talked to enjoy the fact that it's so intense and complex...it's intense yes but there is just no way that i'm going to enjoy any complexity that this band has to offer if the noise aspect of their musicality is so distorted and so overbearing...

I went and saw them once for $11...I guess that Dillinger tickets will never go for any higher due to obvious reasons

I think they should tone it down...they have so much potential but I think they have ADD and they aren't too focused....their musical genuis comes across as just noise to many people...

dillinger escape plan are not dream theater. don't take the same approach to their music.
----

Read Watchmen.
26.07.2006 - 00:46
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@tommy tee: What makes you think I'd look at Dillinger like I'd look at Dream Theater...are you on crack? You know something else, I'm not a DT fanboy like AtLossForWords...I actually don't like Dream Theater that much anymore...what's the point of even bringing them up anyway...Dillinger is far from progressive...it's just hardcore and technicality...I fully agree with the whole calling them mathcore thing...I might not really beleive in that sub-genre but what else are you gonna call them...technical hardcore? ya right...
26.07.2006 - 16:38
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
technical hardcore is correct. as someone who considers them just noise i tend not to take your opinion on what genre they are too seriously.

my point was that you criticize them for being noisey and chaotic and suggest its pointless them being technical because of this. but they need to technical to make that sound. they wouldn't be able to create the jumpey style that they have using simplistic riffs. your view seems to be that this is wrong because you can't enjoy its instrumental complexity as much because it comes across as noisey, but the fact is that their purpose never was to be technical for the sake of it, but technical for the sake of creating a particular style (i.e. anyone who thinks they're great because of how technical they are is missing the point).

and besides, you can still appreciate their music without it being noisey. though i like the harshness of their first album, i tend to listen to it reasonably quiet rather than just loud and noisey.

used the word noisey too much in that post
----

Read Watchmen.
27.07.2006 - 20:39
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@tommy tee: Well then, I won't take what you say too seriously either just for that comment...sure, I might've called them noise and all that but did I completely and mercilessly bash them? Nope...listen, I gotta listen to them again and make a better judgement....I actually haven't listened to them in awhile but from what I remember? yes, noisey...I have every right to call them noise...you probably didn't take what I said seriously because you probably still think I'm some ignorant dumbass prog fanboy...well, i'm not...I'm with you though on the matter that they don't do it on purpose...
10.08.2006 - 21:19
Slasktotten
Account deleted
i'm just starting to listen to this band, any ideas of where to begin? all of it seems to be really good, and i just love the song ''pig latin''
20.08.2006 - 09:36
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 10.08.2006 at 21:19

i'm just starting to listen to this band, any ideas of where to begin? all of it seems to be really good, and i just love the song ''pig latin''

well it depends...seeing how the song you like has Mike Patton on vocals...and there's a different vocalist for calculating infinity and miss machine
22.08.2006 - 00:33
Endoftherainbow

I used to always think this was just a stupid and pointless noise band until I heard the song Setting Fire to the Sleeping Giants and I liked it but I figured they only had one good song and that they still fucking sucked but now I've heard all of their music and I really like all of it and appreciate it for what it is I think the problem alot of people have with this band isn't that their to noisey but they aren't taking it for what it is and it isn't meant to be something easy to get into it took me many listens for me to understand it. I've heard so much about their live show last year at Gigantour I was looking forward to seeing them but then they got taken off because of injuries so I was disapointed then they came to my town but they were playing with AFI so I didn't think it was worth the money to see them I hope they come out with a new album soon.