Metal Storm logo
Symphony X - The Odyssey vs. The Divine Wings of Tragedy

Poll

Which is the best Symphony X 20+ minute epic?

The Odyssey
The Divine Wings of Tragedy

Total votes: 16
30.03.2012 - 21:41
Valentin B
Iconoclast
So here it is ladies and gents, the ultimate battle of two of the best progressive metal songs ever written, both the respective title tracks from the Symphony X albums The Divine Wings of Tragedy, and The Odyssey. Divine Wings clocks in at 20 minutes, while The Odyssey at 24 minutes, and both are stunningly epic and majestic prog songs.

My vote goes for The Odyssey, as it keeps me wired more than Divine Wings, which sometimes sounds like a euro power metal song. Odyssey surprises at every turn, and so it gets my vote.
30.03.2012 - 22:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
And you dear ask.... hail to Hellas , that song is why I like this band
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.03.2012 - 22:37
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Mine goes to Divine Wings, everything is perfect about that song. It's a musical journey with beautiful mellow parts, orchestral sections, crushing riffs, excellent vocals and a vast display of progressive tricks to keep the prog nerds happy.
As I said before on the SyX thread, everytime "The Prophet's Cry" kicks in I get lots of chills. And then the magical closer "Paradise Regained". Each part has it's own special feature that I love.

The Odissey probably fits into the same description as the second sentence, but it doesn't trigger any special feelings in me. Just a impressive tune.
31.03.2012 - 10:05
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Although I love Divine Wings, it just has to be "The Odyssey" for me. Despite being longer, "The Odyssey" sounds more like a full bodied song, and less like a fully fledged prog work-out, which Divine Wings feels like at times. "The Odyssey" hits harder, and is more engaging, with each section seamlessly flowing into the next very naturally. Divine Wings in parts, sounds a little bit forced, whereas on "The Odyssey" everything just flows naturally, and all the different sections fit perfectly with each other.

"The Odyssey" is simply a magical journey, and fills my heart and mind with wonder each time I listen to it. The longer a song is, the more it has to do to hold your attention, but for the full 24+ minutes of the song, all I can do is be swept away by the sheer majesty of the story and how wonderfully the music has been interwoven with it. It's definitely a true masterpiece in every sense of the word!
31.03.2012 - 11:05
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Though I would agree The Odyssey is a more polished effort, it just doesn't have that same neoclassical charm that The Divine Wings of Tragedy has, that track nailed it as far as that sort of metal goes. I mean both obviously have a basis in neoclassical/symphonic metal and I like where the band's taken it following Divine Wings but that track for me is as good as their sound gets.
31.03.2012 - 20:00
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by R'Vannith on 31.03.2012 at 11:05

Though I would agree The Odyssey is a more polished effort, it just doesn't have that same neoclassical charm that The Divine Wings of Tragedy has, that track nailed it as far as that sort of metal goes. I mean both obviously have a basis in neoclassical/symphonic metal and I like where the band's taken it following Divine Wings but that track for me is as good as their sound gets.

Thanks to R'Vannith for explaining his thoughts so well, because they match mine and I can't be arsed to do so in this particular moment The war is on my friends.
----
7.0 means the album is good
02.04.2012 - 12:08
Milena
gloom cookie
The boyfriend, did, of course, side with the Odyssey folks when I asked him yesterday, but he offered a different explanation - The O. is more uplifting in sound so we wouldn't be bummed when the concert ends, plus it's longer so you get a little more of SyX.

Didn't convince me. TEH DIVINE WINGZZ.
----
04.04.2012 - 12:02
adace1

Pretty hard poll but I vote for The Odyssey by a hair.
04.04.2012 - 15:02
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Irritable Ted on 04.04.2012 at 13:11

Never really like The Odyssey album. I didn't like the vocal change. Russell's vocals became a bit too raw for my ear. Divine Wings was the first album I heard of their's and remains my fav. Closely followed by V.

We're talking about songs actually.
----
04.04.2012 - 17:16
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Irritable Ted on 04.04.2012 at 17:11

I know. The songs are very good representations of what each album has to offer. Both in sound and vocal styles and because they take up a third of the respective album's length.

Ah, sorry then
----