Hypno5e - Acid Mist Tomorrow review

Bandcamp music player
Reviewer:

105 users:
Band: Hypno5e
Album: Acid Mist Tomorrow
Release date: February 2012

01. Acid Mist Tomorrow
02. Six Fingers In One Hand She Holds The Dawn (Part I)
03. Six Fingers In One Hand She Holds The Dawn (Part II)
04. Story Of The Eye
05. Gehenne (Part I)
06. Gehenne (Part II)
07. Gehenne (Part III)
08. Brume Unique Obscurité (Part I)
09. Brume Unique Obscurité (Part II)

Hypno5e is another example of the whole being better than the individual parts. Acid Mist Tomorrow is really techy progressive metalcore, and although there's really nothing new in each aspect, pieced together it's an impressive puzzle work.

Metalcore is the overall feel to it, yet not that sugary, over-glossed, whiny, shopping mall variety metalcore. It's a bit like Protest The Hero; yes, it's metalcore, but the meticulous song writing is what separates it from the bands that give this genre a bad name. So you've got your metalcore base, building on that it's a bit of an exploration between delicate, haunting melodies, and large, sweeping soundscapes. It works nicely on a number of levels; on one hand, you've got the subtle, more ambient moments that cater nicely to those of us with a bit of patience, on the other side, you've got the thundering, infectious riffs that blow up and dig in...Oh, what the hell, throw in a few of those jagged riff changes for those who love a little technical showmanship. Everything connected together makes for a pleasantly unpredictable ride.

As stated before, the individual parts have been done before. Hypno5e strength lies in their incredible song writing abilities, even if it is all tied together with already frequently used sounds. Had their skills for building intricate song structures been any weaker, you would be hearing a much weaker album.

If you're a fan of either progressive or metalcore, this is an album to check out. If you're turned off by one side of the coin, but love the other, Acid Mist Tomorrow still comes highly recommended, as it is a display of great song writing which transcends any rigid genre classifications.

Written on 31.03.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 23   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 316 users
31.03.2012 - 13:45
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Seems like something I would enjoy.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
31.03.2012 - 14:40
Rating: 9
Uldreth

I definitely need to check this out.

Btw the links on the band page seem to be fucked they point to the metalstorm.net/bands/<site>instead of <site> so they don't work.
31.03.2012 - 15:30
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
One of the finest metal acts out there, their sound is so fresh and original compared to the majority ..
31.03.2012 - 16:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Pretty tasty, and I'm only halfway through the first track.
31.03.2012 - 16:40
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I must check this out.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
31.03.2012 - 17:46
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Checked one song on youtube and I loved it.
No, I LOVED it.
31.03.2012 - 21:06
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Uldreth on 31.03.2012 at 14:40

I definitely need to check this out.

Btw the links on the band page seem to be fucked they point to the metalstorm.net/bands/<site>instead of <site> so they don't work.

Fixed. Someone just forgot the http:// part.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
31.03.2012 - 22:07
neonxaos

What a completely kickass band! Never ever heard of them before, thank you!
31.03.2012 - 22:23
koob

Dem French guys.

Really impressive album, the review sums it up pretty well good job !
01.04.2012 - 02:59
knightlightning

Sounds promising, will check it out
01.04.2012 - 13:43
silenius

I realy like it, it doesnt have that disgusting wibe i get from ALL other metalcore bands i´ve heard, i don´t even think i would lable them as metalcore at all.
01.04.2012 - 14:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by silenius on 01.04.2012 at 13:43

I realy like it, it doesnt have that disgusting wibe i get from ALL other metalcore bands i´ve heard, i don´t even think i would lable them as metalcore at all.

I think if you took away or changed the vocals no one would be able to connect it with metalcore. I could be wrong but I'd say this this is just progressive metal with core vocals. Excellent stuff though.
01.04.2012 - 16:14
Uldreth

Written by Guest on 01.04.2012 at 14:09

I think if you took away or changed the vocals no one would be able to connect it with metalcore. I could be wrong but I'd say this this is just progressive metal with core vocals. Excellent stuff though.

Saying that actually turns me off

I love prog metalcore (and prog death but that is unrelated now) but I can't stand the so called 'progressive metal'.

Obviously I'm still going to check it but still.
01.04.2012 - 19:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Uldreth on 01.04.2012 at 16:14

Saying that actually turns me off

I love prog metalcore (and prog death but that is unrelated now) but I can't stand the so called 'progressive metal'.

Obviously I'm still going to check it but still.

Progressive extreme metal would probably be more apt. Maybe even experimental metal. Certainly has little in common with the dime-a-dozen prog bands you get all over the place ;]
02.04.2012 - 18:47
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
I find he high pitched screamed vocals to be annoying as fuck. The music is great though so hopefully it will grow on me.
02.04.2012 - 22:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 01.04.2012 at 14:09

There's some other moments that bring me in mind of metalcore. Mostly some of the more techy moments, actually. Progressive and -core are the only genre types that are consistently throughout this album. Not strictly a "metalcore" album, though.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
03.04.2012 - 04:58
Rating: 4
scaesura

Not gonna lie, I tried most of the songs on youtube, and this... Well, I thought it sucked. Hard.
04.04.2012 - 16:50
MeloDeathViking

I'm only three tracks in, but I am loving this album. There are moments that remind me of Digital Veil by The Human Abstract and and some that reminds me or Precambrian by The Ocean. It's such a great sound. Can't wait to hear the rest of this album. I definitely wouldn't refine is strictly to metalcore, but I can see where that comes from. Progressive on the other hand, as absolutely a great term for it.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
13.04.2012 - 01:58
Sentient 7

I am enthralled with this album. So much of it is familiar: a Gojira riff, some Porcupine Tree acoustics, The Ocean passage... Although to these ears it sounds so completely fresh - the atmosphere unique. Relaxing quiet segments that don't cheat the listener, instead they are long enough to feel deep within oneself, then build to a techncical glory that members here will appreciate.

The review is spot on and is the sole reason I checked this out in the first place. Usually i would find an album with any core elements insurmountable, however there is more progression and depth on display here than exists in any single genre. This already deserves a place on year end lists, even in a year saturated with great releases.
21.05.2012 - 05:54
Rating: 8
Metal Addiction

I think if this album came out about 2000, it would have better evaluation than what it has now.
21.05.2012 - 10:54
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Metal Addiction on 21.05.2012 at 05:54

I think if this album came out about 2000, it would have better evaluation than what it has now.

Why do you say so? It seems like most people who cared to check this out ended up liking it and the review is also very positive.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
21.05.2012 - 11:53
Metal Addiction

Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.05.2012 at 10:54

Written by Metal Addiction on 21.05.2012 at 05:54

Why do you say so? It seems like most people who cared to check this out ended up liking it and the review is also very positive.

I read other reviews from other sites. I saw that some people have negative feelings on this album. They just defined this album a good puzzle work. I think this album is better than that. I love this album and have positive feelings on it.
01.06.2012 - 09:56
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I have pretty much enjoyed this album since the first listen (after reading your review). Forgot say thank you for bringing this album to the surface.

To me these guys have a unique sound: the combination of technical aggressive metalcore with those calmer parts is really great, and it flows really well --> the songwriting is top-notch here: the parts do not sound disjointed.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy

Hits total: 6888 | This month: 31