Metal Storm logo
Metal just a phase?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 02.11.2006 - 05:18
Some people just don't understand. You know, they can tell me about my "punk ass bitch gothic t shirts", they can tell me everything I listen to sounds the same, they can say just about anything in the book and I'll gladly set them straight if they allow me the time to explain to them. But nothing pisses me off more than when people tell me that it's just a phase or that I listen to metal music because I'm angry. I live in a part of the city where I'm the only metal head I really know so maybe this is new to you guys but I get this erroneous comment all the time. So just to get the conversation stirring, which people just go through a metal phase and which people (like myself) plan on devoting their whole lives to metal?
25.10.2012 - 09:57
Fritillaria
Account deleted
As long as there Are still bands which have got something interesting for listening to I still keep up with it, Hmmm but anyhow I guess if even bands will not have something new for listening to I stick to the older ones which I already had enjoyed listening to them,all and all I suppose metal is one of the most enjoying stuff I discovered 10 years ago in the world, and up to now I still love to keep following it
25.10.2012 - 11:38
Wargus
Account deleted
Listening to metal for 20 years now, and still enjoying it. And there still is so much to discover...
25.10.2012 - 12:58
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by VPeter on 23.10.2012 at 21:05

Metal just a phase? Just observe how many metalheads there are in their 20ties and then compare it to metalheads in their 30ties and then to metalheads in their 40ties. It gets smaller and smaller.

There are also less people in their 30s as in their 20s. And your argument could apply to almost anything.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
25.10.2012 - 15:21
helofloki
I think there are different ways of looking at it. I'm not sure if I know anyone who completely gave up metal, though maybe there are some. As people get older they often think about practical things, like getting a job and so cut their hair and try not to dress like complete slobs. So in this way, being into the metal 'look' and worrying about the public projection of being a metal head gets set aside. Though I think the music rarely gets set aside, more just the persona.

Another point where it might be mistaken as a phase is when someone who has been entrenched in metal for years, listening to hardly anything else, breaks out of their box a little and allows themselves to enjoy other music or even more mainstream music. Again, this isn't really a phasing out of metal, just more recognition that there's more music out there and while metal is a wide and varying genre, even it has it's limits.

I've experienced both of these and while I haven't grown my hair back and I am happy with looking roughly professional. I've definitely branched from my original obsession with metal, but it returns in waves never really leaving. This summer I have been really excited about it, seeing where the scene is and delving deep and discovering new bands et cetera.

So if the question is asking, 'do metal heads usually give up metal' then I would have to say no. 'phase' is a kind of vague word. Some of these things I have explained you could consider 'phases' or 'phasing'. Some people never give up the hair and the look, good for them. Everyone's got their own thing. The music is what's great and what matters.
26.10.2012 - 19:01
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.10.2012 at 23:40

A way of life? Like a religion? Fuck no, not again. As the guys have said, it just entertains. It has this sense of "community" because of its un-mainstream nature but it's not a way of life.

Oh, a mighty +1 to thee.
28.10.2012 - 16:46
LordHypnos
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.10.2012 at 21:02

Written by Guest on 23.10.2012 at 20:56

Written by Daniell on 23.10.2012 at 20:33

Written by Guest on 23.10.2012 at 19:53

People say that it's just a phase because they're ignorant. They know nothing about metal at all. And those who abandon metal are always false people (posers); they only listened to metal because they thought it was "cool", not even knowing the purpose of metal. Metal is a way of life. If metal is just a phase, then life itself is a phase, too.

One can't get more pretentious than this

What do you mean?

The part about there being a purpose to metal and it being a way of life. Guess what it isn't. Does it dictate you what to eat, drink, how to sleep, how to live your life, how to vote etc.? Nope, so their is no metal way of life. Listening to metal all day and going to gigs and buying cd's/vinyls/cassette/merch is not a way of life, because it doesn't effect the ones around you and has no impact on the life of others. As for the purpose of metal, that is to entertain, nothing more nothing less.

I just read your post again, Marcel. I understand what you said now. Sorry for acting like an ignorant fool, I'm not like that... About the "purpose of metal" thing, I used the wrong words... Actually, I wanted to say that posers don't know what metal is all about, thinking it's just satanism or evil (but metal is all about attitude, right?). And, just like you said, metal ISN'T a way of life, end of discussion.
29.10.2012 - 17:56
helofloki
I think that there may at this point be a 'metal life style'. It is definitely a trend and look that people try to fit (long hair, leather, patches et cetera). Much like people try to fit the punk trend or goth trend or even just mainstream trends. Some people do make it their life. The important distinction is that most people who listen to metal do not. And, even more important, just because you don't follow this trend does not make your experience of the music any less legitimate than someone who does.

So this 'metal life style' technically exists. But really there are no strings attached to being a metal fan. If you like it, if you love it, cool me too.
02.11.2012 - 05:55
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by helofloki on 29.10.2012 at 17:56

I think that there may at this point be a 'metal life style'. It is definitely a trend and look that people try to fit (long hair, leather, patches et cetera). Much like people try to fit the punk trend or goth trend or even just mainstream trends. Some people do make it their life. The important distinction is that most people who listen to metal do not. And, even more important, just because you don't follow this trend does not make your experience of the music any less legitimate than someone who does.

So this 'metal life style' technically exists. But really there are no strings attached to being a metal fan. If you like it, if you love it, cool me too.

You got it. Its true that there is some sort of ''Metal Lifestyle'' in big cities, I mean where theres actual metal bars. Metalheads hang out there all day long getting drunk, being anoying and some of them hustling to buy more beer LOL. But I mean, as long as you listen to it and enjoy the music, you're a metalhead, no matter how you dress like. If you like wearing your bands shirt thats great me too, If you don't but you still enjoy the music, fine by me.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
10.11.2012 - 02:15
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Why stop listen to metal? It gotta be the most diverse genre in music, feel sorry for people who doesn't understand the beauty of metal actually
10.11.2012 - 16:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Fallen Ghost on 10.11.2012 at 02:15

Why stop listen to metal? It gotta be the most diverse genre in music, feel sorry for people who doesn't understand the beauty of metal actually

I don't know iif it is the most diverse genre in music, but more than diverse enough to keep me interested in it for 33.5 years now and never veered outside of metal because the diveristy is already way too big within metal for me to like everything.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.11.2012 - 18:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 10.11.2012 at 17:48

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.11.2012 at 16:41

I don't know iif it is the most diverse genre in music, but more than diverse enough to keep me interested in it for 33.5 years now and never veered outside of metal because the diveristy is already way too big within metal for me to like everything.

do u ever have moments like whose Ke$ha/miley cyrus/rihanna, let me give her a spin?

hell FUCK NO, that's shite no matter how you look at it.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.11.2012 - 20:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 10.11.2012 at 20:34

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.11.2012 at 18:37

hell FUCK NO, that's shite no matter how you look at it.

lol, had to steal that as my signature, hope u don't mind?
so your totaly ignorant on other stuff other than metal?

I hear other stuff than metal but just don't like it at all. Abit of reggae is great, as is ska and some chansonniers such as Edith Piaf and jacques Brel. But 99.5% of what I listen to voluntarily is metal/hard rock
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.11.2012 - 22:18
Just jumps in now, too lazy to read all earlier posts.

Those who, in my opinion, just listen to metal and then abandon it, doesn't truly gives it a chance. Metal is such a huge genre now, with so many different sounds. The differences is as huge as, by my opinion(remember that), like if you compared opera, rap, country and folk music. I think many of you would agree with me that there is huge differencies between gothic metal, black metal, grindcore, power metal and nu metal, just to name a few of them.
If you ask me, I am pretty sure I won't listen to any other genre than metal. Yes, I don't even listen to half of the genres, but that just leaves me a lot of bands I can start to listen to later, if I ever would be tired with the ones I listen to now

Another thing I want to whine about, may it be that it can be a bit off topic, but I get slightly annoyed that on many music sites/forums/whatever the hell the place, metal is (on sites) together with rock(in best cases), or just are found in the pop/rock category. In the place where I live, one can be happy if one find ten metal albums. Ten albums! It feels that metal still aren't accepted as a real genre...
----
"Everything will be ok
I'll just sit down and watch some bullshit"
-Acrania
01.01.2013 - 15:39
Moonloop
I don't think listening to metal is just a phase. However, listening only to metal is. At least it was for me.
01.01.2013 - 21:39
Thrashette
I know some people for whom metal was a phase. They all fall under one of these categories (in order of prevalence):
1) People who listened to metal only to deal with angst and insecurity
2) People who listened to metal only because it was what their group of friends or their boyfriend or whoever else they were trying to impress listened to
3) Metalheads who took too many drugs, went to too many raves, and now listen to EDM instead

I'm not saying this post applies to everyone who only had a phase of metal, but it applies to everyone I know who did....
02.01.2013 - 01:26
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
I'm not really sure whether its a phase or not. Maybe taste I guess. Your musical taste will definitely change over time. More for some than others though. I remember back in school one of my good friends use to listen to metal a lot. That was the only thing he listen to, but now he listens to that shitty dubstep and skrillix because "That's what the girls listen to". Another of my friends was way into the classic metal, thrash and glam. But now the only thing he listens to is deathcore. Really only one of my friends and myself have liked the same kinds of metal since we discovered them. So metal of phase? I guess you could say that. Who knows.
02.01.2013 - 04:00
D
I believe its one of the few types of music that is not part of a phase...

Metal...and psytrance aswell...reggae...you get lots of old geezers at those shows...

No old timer fans with dubstep/emo/house stuff...because those are phases!
02.01.2013 - 04:27
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
It all depends on the reason you listen to metal. If you listen to metal because it appeals to YOU and because YOU want to and not because of, or for someone else, then I don't think it will just be a phase. Certain areas of metal may be a phase for some, like death metal and black metal, and eventually those people may get to where they don't listen to the more extreme side of metal but those people will likely still listen to metal. However those people who get into metal to impress somebody, like a girl or because it's kool at school, then yea metal is most likely just going to be a phase for those people.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

02.01.2013 - 13:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by D on 02.01.2013 at 04:00

No old timer fans with dubstep/emo/house stuff...because those are phases!

nope the reason is that music isn't old yet so the fans are also a lot younger.

Twenty years ago you would almost never see a 40+ person at a metal gig whereas today you do.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.01.2013 - 13:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.01.2013 at 13:11
Twenty years ago you would almost never see a 40+ person at a metal gig whereas today you do.

Can't wait to see the 40+ dubstep fans.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.01.2013 - 14:27
Metalandy92
Written by armageddon on 25.10.2012 at 02:08

I've been listening to metal for 6 years now, and I can't imagine not listening to it in the future.

I think I'll listen to metal until I die! (or until I go deaf )

My mom is in her late 50s and has listened to metal music since the early days of Deep Purple and Black Sabbath and she still does.
02.01.2013 - 17:50
Cream
Account deleted
Listening only to metal was a phase for me and surely for other metal heads too. But if you listen other kinds of popular music next to metal you will see that metal is the genre with the most solid quality. Most people who listen to metal have no long hair, leather jacket and other aspect of metal subculture, most dont even visit festivals and concerts. Metal culture is just a phase for many like gothic, punk.. but metal music is eternal.
02.01.2013 - 23:03
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 02.01.2013 at 17:50

Listening only to metal was a phase for me and surely for other metal heads too. But if you listen other kinds of popular music next to metal you will see that metal is the genre with the most solid quality. Most people who listen to metal have no long hair, leather jacket and other aspect of metal subculture, most dont even visit festivals and concerts. Metal culture is just a phase for many like gothic, punk.. but metal music is eternal.

Oh well for me metal culture was not just a phase either
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
02.01.2013 - 23:28
Cream
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 02.01.2013 at 23:03

Written by Guest on 02.01.2013 at 17:50

Oh well for me metal culture was not just a phase either

We both are young, but women, children and work will push us away from the metal path too
02.01.2013 - 23:30
Moonloop
Written by Guest on 02.01.2013 at 23:28

woman, child and work will push us away from the metal

Why would it?
02.01.2013 - 23:37
Cream
Account deleted
Written by Moonloop on 02.01.2013 at 23:30

Why would it?

Ask people who have all this behind, I''m still young.
02.01.2013 - 23:38
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 02.01.2013 at 23:37

Why would it?

Idk man, actually Im going to study sound, lighting and staging next year ... so it might not apply for me
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
02.01.2013 - 23:43
Cream
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 02.01.2013 at 23:38

Why would it?

Idk man, actually Im going to study sound, lighting and staging next year ... so it might not apply for me

The best way to never get old is to always use a condom and to make a career where you are not under constant stress like time pressure and competition.
02.01.2013 - 23:45
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 02.01.2013 at 23:43

Written by Guib on 02.01.2013 at 23:38

Why would it?

The best way to never get old is to always use a condom and to make a career where you are not under constant stress, like time pressure and competition.

Sorry thats not what I wanted to quote actually it was the earlier post about ''getting old makes you forget the metal culture'' I know ill get old.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
03.01.2013 - 03:23
mojo
Life is just a phase.
----
Yeah. No. Wait, what was the question?