Metal Storm logo
Metal just a phase?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 02.11.2006 - 05:18
Some people just don't understand. You know, they can tell me about my "punk ass bitch gothic t shirts", they can tell me everything I listen to sounds the same, they can say just about anything in the book and I'll gladly set them straight if they allow me the time to explain to them. But nothing pisses me off more than when people tell me that it's just a phase or that I listen to metal music because I'm angry. I live in a part of the city where I'm the only metal head I really know so maybe this is new to you guys but I get this erroneous comment all the time. So just to get the conversation stirring, which people just go through a metal phase and which people (like myself) plan on devoting their whole lives to metal?
03.07.2008 - 07:34
Haightredy
I've gotten now so I don't enjoy most forms of clean vocals. And pretty much any other genre I just can't stand. I've seen metalheads put away their T-Shirts, and cut their hair, but they all still listen to the Metal just the same. So no, I wouldn't say it's a phase. In 60 years I hope to see 80 year olds with hair to their knees, a cannibal corpse shirt, and a spike studded walker.
05.07.2008 - 19:14
Timelord
Metal is a phase!!! You phase into a metalhead and never come out. Been a metalhead since i was single digits listening to my sisters Sabbath and ac/dc records. 30 years and counting!!! Fuck what people say and stay true to what matters to you.
05.07.2008 - 22:07
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I hope its not a phase. I hope to able to pull out a Stormwitch cd or LP in 30 years and still enjoy it. I've been listening to metal since I was really young with my dad playing his Black Sabbath LPs. It wasnt until I was about 7 that I started liking Metallica. I still listen to metal obviously , and have branched out a lot since my metallica days.
07.07.2008 - 00:32
owl
It's nice that so many people here say that they begun listening to Metal because of their parents or older siblings. Considering as adolescence is a period of rebellion, one might think kids who started out listening to metal at home would just freak out and hook into hip-hop (for instance) just to go against their parents.

Goes to show how Metal is superior to all that.
----
07.07.2008 - 05:54
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Timelord on 05.07.2008 at 19:14

Metal is a phase!!! You phase into a metalhead and never come out. Been a metalhead since i was single digits listening to my sisters Sabbath and ac/dc records. 30 years and counting!!! Fuck what people say and stay true to what matters to you.

dont you mean metal ISNT a phase? a phase is something you grow out of and move onto different things that you might think are better. and it doesnt appear that you ditched metal at all.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
07.07.2008 - 06:26
Timelord
I was bein sarcastic in a way. I heard that crap all my youth. I phased in and never phased out. Thats the point I was tryin to make.
10.07.2008 - 17:39
Candlemass
Defaeco
For some.
For some it is for identity causes (phase of adolescence) like clothing, community, tagging of one's self etc.
For some it is involved in self-image and self-confidence, they would like to project something thrroguh the music, to tell about themselves.
10.07.2008 - 20:30
Conservationist
For most people (98%) it is just a phase.

They tend to hate any lifetimers.
10.07.2008 - 21:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Timelord on 07.07.2008 at 06:26

I was bein sarcastic in a way. I heard that crap all my youth. I phased in and never phased out. Thats the point I was tryin to make.

you might not have phased in and out, but you certainly have regenerated!
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
18.09.2008 - 02:18
Insects Of Death
Account deleted
my mom always tells her friends that look at me wierd when i come through wearing my metal shirts and blasting metal thats "its just a phase" and im like nope lol and she gets all embarrased like seriously i plan on liking metal my whole life until the day i die.
19.09.2008 - 05:47
Hrothdane
Metal will survive a LOOOOOONG time even if just for all the different sub-genres. Metal is like the China of music: it assimilates every other type of music that tries to conquer it.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
20.09.2008 - 21:26
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
i personally think metal itself is not a phase, once you start, it never ends and becomes a part of your life, eternally; but the sub-genre is a phase, depending on age or mood, i used to enjoy nu metal when i was around 17 but now i don't....on the other hand, it also changes day to day, today i'm into heavy metal, tomarrow into black metal the other day into power metal and so on...

"We need it as a liquid in our veins instead of blood"
"Heavy Metal is the law that keeps us all united free"

----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
20.09.2008 - 21:31
Elio
Red Nightmare
Life is a phase. Not metal. (wow I seem like a sucky philosopher here )
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
20.09.2008 - 21:33
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by Elio on 20.09.2008 at 21:31

Life is a phase. Not metal. (wow I seem like a sucky philosopher here )

but you're right
----
22.09.2008 - 02:45
Black Mass
Written by Timelord on 05.07.2008 at 19:14

Same here but I was listening to my dad's vinyls - Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, AC/DC. He'd put them on and I'd just sit next to the speakers and take it all in. Anyway - metal isn't a phase. Its like anything else in ur life that grabs ur attention and then sticks with u forever. Its about how it makes u feel - and if it feels good, do it!
22.09.2008 - 17:41
Charly546
Metal can be a phase. Usually when one starts experimenting and listening to different types of music, one might even stumble on metal, listen to it for some time and move on. But when one discovers that one really likes metal, then one will stick to it (until one generates an interest in something else)
02.10.2008 - 18:09
Philaenas
Account deleted
The "metal dresscode" will probably almost always be a phase. Until you start finding a job and such . But the taste in music itself is bound to stick with a metal lover in a lot of cases.
02.10.2008 - 19:29
Branzig
I started listening to Maiden at 11 or so. Moved on to hardcore punk around 14, then discovered death and black around 16. I haven't looked back since. If anyone ever thought it was a phase with me, they've long since changed that notion. I'm a metal maniac, but I don't only listen to metal...I love all forms of music. even jazz. So if someone told me that being a metalhead was just a phase, I'd have to tell them that they are sadly mistaking, and that if metal is just a phase for me, then so is music in general.

I'll die listening to piss throated, gnalry-necro, brutally-death-de-fying metal.

Metal and music arent a phase, they are a way of life!
----
In Grind We Crust
07.10.2008 - 05:33
Guib
Thrash Talker
METAL A PHASE ?

Oh my god.. thats mean ! If rock never been just a ''PHASE'' why would it be different for metal ?
Well to me its not just a phase.. and yes i'll probly devote my entire life to Metal music Thats for
sure =D Metal head once... Metal head forever. And this should set you straight
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
07.10.2008 - 14:35
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by Branzig on 02.10.2008 at 19:29

I'll die listening to piss throated, gnalry-necro, brutally-death-de-fying metal.

same here and the worms eating my corpse will start to headbang after the first bite. lol
----
07.10.2008 - 18:31
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I sure hope metal isn't a phase for me. Metal has made me the person I am today. I guess I could see myself straying away from it somewhat in the future. I'll always come back to it though
----
Coldgrits
12.10.2008 - 02:23
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Well its not really a phase I think...if perhaps a very very long phase that will sort of be replaced by something like blues or jazz when ur older. Thats what I think will happen for myself in any case. My parents still think its a phase...im 27 and Ive listen to metal for pretty much half of my life and the times they thought I was metal and I myself thought I was metal isnt a patch on how much I now KNOW I wasnt metal....

If you wake up in the morning and the first thing you do i make coffee, light a ciggy and start air-guitaring, then you know its not a phase that will go by for at least another couple of decades. I actually feel ill and irritated if I dont listen metal for a day...
19.10.2008 - 16:21
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I listen to metal 3,5 years. I always loved speed in music and metal has full of it. It has also great melodies, hard working musicians, some awesome lyrics and a great variety of sounds to find out which one you like most. I really hope never stop listening to metal although I know that as the years pass by, people lighten up and listen to easier styles of music...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
23.10.2008 - 00:35
Haightredy
Metal is a phaze.... just like Elvis and the Bealtes.....
23.10.2008 - 01:03
BrightNight
Metal is not a "Phase". People who claim this dont know anything about it....and talk out of there asses. Maybe some kids growing up are looking to identify themselves with something....they find Metal or another life style/music.....this can be true ofcourse. And mostly these "kids" dont even listen serieus/true metal bands....its more commercial shit. And yes that can be a "phase" with their black mascara, nails and looking angry to everyone with your linkinpark t shirt.....but i dont say its metal. They are not metalheads so for them it might be a phase indeed. But for all the others i have a quote from Iced Earth's Jon Schaffer;

"Metal is a way of life, once your in you never leave". and; "Fuck Posers!!!" (the people for who metal is really a phase)

Dont go tell someone like me, a person who wakes up with metal music and goes to bed with his guitar that metal is a phase.
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
23.10.2008 - 02:37
gocasaca
I don't understand what's so big deal about this 'fase' shit???
Metal as a genre exists and will live probably for long. But during one life can be a fase, life-long fase, one year, 10 years... fase! And is always a fase...unless you live forever.
Nobody ever told me ( during these 10 years i listen it ) anything about music I listen.
Maybe will listen it untill I die, maybe drop it one day. I don't care.
True metal...ha, what is true anyway-BULLSHIT!
Like anyone needs to be called 'metalhead', 'whatevermetal'...I don't, and don't care if someone says i'm a fake. I will keep on listening for what I want.
It's just music, not a nuclear weapon!
14.10.2012 - 11:13
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I don't think metal is just a "phase". Considering how long it's lasted ever since the inception of Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin, I believe metal is here to stay.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
15.10.2012 - 06:48
XSpidercideX
Metal is definitely not a phase for me. I started listening to it in 1996 when I was 11, so that makes 16 years now. I discovered it in a mail order catalog. My sister was ordering CDs for herself and I wanted to get into music for myself too. I always liked the electric guitar sound but never heard real metal besides some rock stuff on the radio. No one in my family listened to heavy music. But I thought the heavy stuff sounded cool in the catalog description on some albums, so I ordered them out of the blue, waited for a month for it to come in, and instantly fell in love on my first listening experience. Never looked back.

However, I never lived a metal lifestyle or dressed metal. Its purely a musical interest for me, although I consider it a part of myself as far as my taste and personality towards art. I've always had short hair and normal clothes, no tattoos or piercings. I never hung out with the "metal" crowd in school, but I remember seeing them in their gothic clothes and chains and Slipknot shirts (which was a band I completely skipped over). I started with thrash / industrial / alternative metal and moved on to black/death/doom/power 2 years in. In high school I listened stuff like Borknagar which no one really knew about so I just kept it to myself.

I don't talk about listening to metal with anyone really except for close friends. My family knows of course just from living with them during my Junior High/High School years, but I don't bring it up around them at all. I work as a database administrator in a big room of cubes with IT staff and have my headphones on half the day, but no one knows that I am listening to some crazy black metal.
16.10.2012 - 07:36
Void Eater
Account deleted
Based on personal experience, going through a phase where you listen pretty much only to metal is just a phase. For the past 3 years that's basically all I listened to-not because I thought that metal is "superior" to other forms of music, just because I liked it so much more than other music . Now I've been getting a little bored of metal and have been listening to a bunch of other stuff. Still listen to my favorite bands all the time, but don't really care to search for more metal to listen to. But I'll probably always be listening to metal, simply because it really is just more enjoyable to me than any other style of music.
17.10.2012 - 17:49
Lit.
Account deleted
I listen to metal simply because I'm not done with it yet.