Metal Storm logo
Tiamat

Original post

Posted by Vunts, 18.05.2006 - 19:24
This gothic metal band from Sweden has been an interest of mine for almost two years. I don't remember how i first found out about them, but i know that Prey was the first CD i've heard.

At the moment i still concider Judas Christ to be my favourite of them (for now). But lately i started listening to their death metal days a little and i discovered that even at those times they were a class A band. While not having the extensive use of double-bass, the guitars are really awesome. And the songs created are simply awesome. Every song has at least some parts that i simply love. I mean: Winter Shadow (0:27) has a GREAT guitar line. And Smell of Incense in 0:54 might very well be one of my favourite parts in any death metal song. The ending of Undressed gives me shivers when listened at an appropriate enough volume (shivers for me while listening to music indicate a place of extremely sweet melody [i know my vocabulary is restricted, don't hold it against me please]). Astral Sleep is a great CD and Clouds all the same. Sumerian Cry falls weakest of the three, but is decent nonetheless.
Tiamat is really awesome. I mean, they have tried different things also, but they have always progressed. Death, black, doom, gothic, gothic rock, death/doom, gothic/doom...they have done everything in that area, and all of it near perfectly. I can't get enough of them. And i better get the money to see them live this summer...otherwise i'll be really pissed off!

The CD ranking:
I started looking for public-friendly music a few weeks ago and during that time i found myself enjoying Judas Christ alot. Currently it's my favourite. Even though i have read all those comments about "poprock" etc. I just like the music because it's fast and energetic and just proves that Tiamat has a great diversity and are skilled music creators.

The only original CD that i own is Skeleton Skeletron and it ranks 5th in my current list. The songs on there have great lyrics and melodies, like most of Tiamat's songs.

Astral Sleep and Clouds have risen from the ashes for me. When i first got into Tiamat, i ignored their death/doom days, but this last week i have totally loved the two CDs. Currently occupying the 2nd and 3rd positions. Astral Sleep leading.

Wildhoney has a few AWESOME songs, like Gaia and Planets and also a generally good feel, but it doesn't get higher than 4th position.

Deeper Kind of Slumber and Prey switch positions more often than i switch socks. Both have great songs, great atmospheres and great vocals, but i can never decide which exactly comes out on top. So 6th and 7th spots.

Sumerian Cry ranks the lowest, but it isn't a bad record. Definately not! I just haven't been in the mood for that type of black metal (yup, i read from a few places that SC is more of a black metal than death metal. And all the points brought out were proven reasonably).

Poll

The usual

I like them
Hadn't heard of them before this thread
I only like the old days -> Clouds
I dislike them

Total votes: 73
17.03.2009 - 00:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Why firts 4 Tiamat albums has been realised at 1th september?
Is there any sybolism for that?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.06.2009 - 17:36
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I only like the first albums and them not so much...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
15.06.2009 - 17:44
Elio
Red Nightmare
I can't really say if I like them or not. I usually don't like Gothic but the only album I listened from this band, Wildhoney, is fucking good.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
15.06.2009 - 17:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Elio on 15.06.2009 at 17:44

I can't really say if I like them or not. I usually don't like Gothic but the only album I listened from this band, Wildhoney, is fucking good.

Well, Wildhoney is imo their last good album after that they went even more gothic and I think also went totally crap
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.06.2009 - 07:31
Hamird
Lieutenant
I like their "Deeper Kind of Slumber" more than any other albums released by them.. That's their most atmospheric and Gothic album..
Of course their earlier albums are very good. But still non of them can beat "Deeper Kind of Slumber" in my opinion.
17.06.2009 - 11:12
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.06.2009 at 17:47

Written by Elio on 15.06.2009 at 17:44

Well, Wildhoney is imo their last good album after that they went even more gothic and I think also went totally crap

thats right. i've heard "prey" which is one of the worst and unispiring albums i've ever heard... it is also not even metal..
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
17.06.2009 - 11:18
tulkas
el parcero
A couple of years ago I remember I started reading some of their lyrics, and I liked them, so I asked a friend if he knew them and if he had albums from them that he could share with me. He said he had, and actually liked the band, not a lot, but he did like them, and before he could pass me the albums, he died... hehe. I don't know, every time I hear the name, he pops back into my head, but hey, I guess I'll give a shot some time soon
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
17.06.2009 - 11:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Tulkas what lyrics from what albums?
----

apos;'
[image]
17.06.2009 - 11:35
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Bad English on 17.06.2009 at 11:31

I remember it was Sleeping Beauty, which I'm seeing it's from the Clouds album. So, that was one, for sure, 'cause I remember I really like SB lyrics a lot. But I wanted to get the Compilation album, you know, to have a 'view' of what they had produced till then. But yeah, Sleeping Beauty was kinda like the trigger to me starting to get some interest in them
----
17.06.2009 - 11:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by tulkas on 17.06.2009 at 11:35

Written by Bad English on 17.06.2009 at 11:31

I remember it was Sleeping Beauty, which I'm seeing it's from the Clouds album. So, that was one, for sure, 'cause I remember I really like SB lyrics a lot. But I wanted to get the Compilation album, you know, to have a 'view' of what they had produced till then. But yeah, Sleeping Beauty was kinda like the trigger to me starting to get some interest in them

Bets lyrims IMO what band has written is for Gaia song
----

apos;'
[image]
17.06.2009 - 11:42
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by tulkas on 17.06.2009 at 11:18

A couple of years ago I remember I started reading some of their lyrics, and I liked them, so I asked a friend if he knew them and if he had albums from them that he could share with me. He said he had, and actually liked the band, not a lot, but he did like them, and before he could pass me the albums, he died... hehe. I don't know, every time I hear the name, he pops back into my head, but hey, I guess I'll give a shot some time soon

ooooo... now i am afraid!!!
basically.. this is tragic irony. bad luck man. i hope it's ok now..
----
17.06.2009 - 11:46
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Deadmeat on 17.06.2009 at 11:42

Written by tulkas on 17.06.2009 at 11:18

ooooo... now i am afraid!!!
basically.. this is tragic irony. bad luck man. i hope it's ok now..

Well, he didn't die like immediately, or right away, you know. and yeh, that was a good while ago, august 12, 2007, to be exact. Though I remember the day mostly because around that same time I started dating my ex... But yeah, in term fo him dying, things are ok now. Thanx

@bad e: cool. I guess I'll start to pick things up again where I left and start to give 'em a listen
----
17.06.2009 - 13:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
The Astral Sleep has to be one of the greatest examples of doom death ever conceived.
17.06.2009 - 13:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 17.06.2009 at 13:00

The Astral Sleep has to be one of the greatest examples of doom death ever conceived.

That is indeed a true masterpiece be it doom death or melodic death. It is actually the ONLY Tiamat album I still play regularly.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.10.2009 - 22:41
Warman
Erotic Stains
Currently addicted to "Equinox of the Gods", I found it on one of the 24 compilation CD:s I have lying on my shelf. I think I've played the song at least 15 times today.
----
10.10.2009 - 09:07
Crème fraiche
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.06.2009 at 13:10

Written by Guest on 17.06.2009 at 13:00

That is indeed a true masterpiece be it doom death or melodic death. It is actually the ONLY Tiamat album I still play regularly.

I will have to check this out. Just heard Wildhoney for the first time a little bit ago and I'm pretty hooked
24.11.2009 - 17:54
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
After times and times now Im on tiamat's cain song song again. really nice song reminds me a little breaf of my lifetime nostalgia
27.11.2009 - 17:40
SatyriconChick
I'm definitely a Tiamat fan, though I don't have any of their albums since Deeper Kind of Slumber. Very talented band, love the musicianship. Johan Edlund's got an amazing voice, and I always enjoyed the lyrics, too.
20.01.2010 - 14:43
Valentin B
Iconoclast
one of the first "real"(as in, not nu-metal or something) metal bands i've listened to about 5 and a half years ago or something, along with Hammerfall, Sabbath's Forbidden album and some old Dream Theater stuff.

Listening right now to the whole Wildhoney album, it's fucking AWESOME. great atmospheric doom/whatever. they are going to be playing it at Wacken in it's entirety and i hope i'll be there to hear it.
20.01.2010 - 14:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Valentin B on 20.01.2010 at 14:43

Listening right now to the whole Wildhoney album, it's fucking AWESOME. great atmospheric doom/whatever. they are going to be playing it at Wacken in it's entirety and i hope i'll be there to hear it.

Only what you might hear there be ''gaia'' and I agree its f*en masterpeace last good albums from band even after who follow wasnt bad at all, but was not old school Tiamat
----

apos;'
[image]
20.01.2010 - 15:10
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 20.01.2010 at 14:43

one of the first "real"(as in, not nu-metal or something) metal bands i've listened to about 5 and a half years ago or something, along with Hammerfall, Sabbath's Forbidden album and some old Dream Theater stuff.

you are so lucky if you will see them live, I like them so much. but as I watched their live DVD's I can say that they are a little weak in live concerts. a little cold and without passion. but its my opinion. Ill try them if I have a chance.
31.05.2011 - 20:09
Tetravirulence
Wildhoney is one album which is responsible for changing my vision about music somewhat
----
Metal News Community!! http://head-metal-bangers.blogspot.com

RIP Juhani Palomaki (1977-2010)
29.08.2021 - 21:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Swedish metallers KNIGHTS OF THE REALM, who feature in their ranks TIAMAT drummer Lars Sköld, will release their self-titled debut album on November 12.

Interesting, sounds a bit better as last Tiamat, will check this album when it will be out
----

apos;'
[image]