Metal Storm logo
Progressive Project Help.

08.04.2012 - 05:40
Sentinel65
For my History of Rock project I am doing the history of Progressive Metal. Suggestions would come in great handy for bands to cover in this history. I don't need bands that are just good, I need bands that were important to the scene. Also it is just metal, so Rush and Jethro Tull do not count. Just a place for some band suggestions, but just to discuss the bands suggested also.
08.04.2012 - 06:56
Edmund Fogg
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
08.04.2012 - 15:45
Unhealer
Eclecticist
^ That
And If you are covering the history of Prog Metal I think you should at least mention it's roots, such as Rush or Tull.
09.04.2012 - 01:39
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Unhealer on 08.04.2012 at 15:45

^ That
And If you are covering the history of Prog Metal I think you should at least mention it's roots, such as Rush or Tull.

I agree. Rush and Tull were/are both major players in Prog Metal development.
Besides the "big three" of the early days (Queensryche, Fates Warning and Dream Theater) King's X was monumental. Probably the most underrated band in Metal history. Also, don't forget The Galactic Cowboys, Faith No More, Watchtower and Psychotic Waltz.
----
(space for rent)
09.04.2012 - 03:41
Sentinel65
The reason I avoid covering any rock artists is because my friend is doing Prog Rock for his project, then we're going to kind of join it in the end, but i am going to avoid intruding on his project.
12.04.2012 - 03:28
Sentinel65
Just some more questions. How was Uriah Heep influential to the genre of progressive metal? How was Fates Warning even progressive in the first place, and what did they do for the genre?
12.04.2012 - 04:09
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Sentinel65 on 12.04.2012 at 03:28

Just some more questions. How was Uriah Heep influential to the genre of progressive metal? How was Fates Warning even progressive in the first place, and what did they do for the genre?

I don't think Uriah Heep is a good example of influence on progressive metal, they were an influence on metal, as Deep Purple was. Albums like Salisbury, Look at Yourself and Demons & Wizards were important not only for being pretty heavy but also experimental (for those years), they were inspiring for metal & prog metal musicians I guess.

As for Fates Warning, listen to Awaken the Guardian, the music speaks for itself, something happened there...
18.04.2012 - 14:54
NCasale
I agree with JohnDoe. He is absolutely right.