Metal Storm logo
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 2, #3 - New music from Autolatry, As Fate Paves Ruin, Collider, TamutAmen, and more!

Written by: Susan, X-Ray Rod, Troy Killjoy, Milena, wormdrink414, R'Vannith
Published: 09.04.2012

Clandestine Cuts Volume 2, Issue #3
The Metal Storm Demo/EP Spotlight

Seriously, who doesn't love demos? The uncool kids, that's who. You, clearly, are part of the in-crowd since you're here listening to awesome new metal each month. You're so in the know. Chicks dig that.

January 31, 2013: VOTING IS NOW CLOSED! Thank you for your votes; find the winners in the Metal Storm Awards 2012 category Clandestine Cut Of The Year and chose your favorite.

In case you're new at this, go back and enjoy our last few issues:
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 1 #14
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 1 #15
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 2 #1
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 2 #2

Think your band has what it takes to be featured in the Cuts? Contact Susan via PM or email Susan @ metalstorm . net to find out.

TamutAmen - TamutAmen
http://soundcloud.com/tamutamen

Hey guys remember the Israeli Whorecore? No? Okay, for starters, they won the grindcore staff pick back in the Metal Storm Awards 2006 with their (awesomely violent) debut. Now their guitarist Nir forms TamutAmen, keeping some of the brutality of his older band yet adding a couple of more elements to the overall sound. So what's the deal here? A very tight and professional-sounding 10-minute session of deathgrind riff-fest together with cool drumming and a constant groove/rocking feeling. The riffs end up being their strongest point. TamutAmen is squishing as many riffs and leads as they can into short and catchy songs with varied tempos. Now let's wait for a full-length to see if they have what it takes to get the same achievements its brother-band got six years ago. Judging by this demo, they are on the right path!

by Mr. Doctor

Autolatry - Of The Land EP
http://autolatry.bandcamp.com/album/of-the-land

Of The Land is one of those black metal releases brimming with energy and aggression, but also one that fills your head with riff orgies and a heavy atmosphere. These Americans are more than comfortable with what they do and the message is delivered with precision and expertise. The highly technical musicianship does a perfect job battling with vocalist Karl Chamberlain, who bears a slight resemblance to fellow countryman Mick Barr (of Krallice fame). If you want bits of progression and melody in your folk-themed black metal, look no further than Autolatry.

by Troy Killjoy

MG & The Juggernaut - The Dream EP
http://soundcloud.com/simonjeremymiller/sets/sample-songs-8

An interesting four-piece from the UK, MG & The Juggernaut play some darkened variant of alternative rock (think something like Placebo, but with a faint grunge vibe) and it just kills. On The Dream EP, the band offers a package of highly catchy and atmospheric music with a metallic edge, topped off by two vocalists that know how to spice things up. Do check out when in the mood for angst.

by Milena

Schematics for Gravity - Schematics for Gravity
http://schematicsforgravity.bandcamp.com/

I've been out of touch with the current post-metal scene because the extra-factor isn't there and most things don't get memorable to me anymore. There are a couple of recent exceptions though? Schematics For Gravity from Sweden is one of them. If you are familiar with post-metal, you've heard similar music before but not always with this tightness, authenticity and emotion. I really can't put enough emphasis on the emotional factor? While passages like the intros of the first and third track are beautifully inspiring, once the distortion settles in, the band displays a strong sense of desperation with crushing riffs, relentless drums but mostly due to the vocals. The band did well in not using clean vocals at all because the harsh and hardcore-like screams are so expressive and even abrasive in their performance, complementing the music so well there isn't another way it could have been done. Really promising!

by Mr. Doctor

As Fate Paves Ruin - As Fate Paves Ruin EP
http://www.facebook.com/AsFatePavesRuin

They call themselves "7-string melodic djent doom metal" and, yeah, I could hear all of those influences. As with many well-done hybrids, though, this excellent 3-song EP avoids sounding like any of those genres specifically. This music is pretty driving and has nice rhythms; it's gritty at times yet tender as dark doom should be. The songs are full of build-ups and atmosphere, as well as a few sweet solos. This is melodic metal yet the vocals are predominantly growls and it just fits. Guitar player Stephanie Pickard assists with some clean backing vocals but don't make too many Draconian comparisons: she sings rarely and just at very appropriate times. What makes this band feel special is the warmth Stephanie brings to her guitar playing, killer solos included. All in all, this is really addictive stuff; I'm definitely following these guys and you should, too.

by Susan

Horse Drawn Death Machine - Horse Drawn Death Machine
http://hddm.bandcamp.com/

This is bit like what you'd expect to hear if Orange Goblin piled into a carriage with some post-hardcore group, devised some rudimentary generator to plug their amps and axes into, loaded and smoked a bowl of thrash, then started whipping the horses carrying them into some kind of horrible screeching fit. Sounds awesome, I know. And most of it is--tortured equestrian vox aside. The riffs, in particular, are fucking top notch.

by wormdrink414

Collider - Collider EP
http://colliderslays.bandcamp.com/album/collider-ep

Here is a quick yet wholesome bite of some damn well played sludge for you. Collider's self titled EP lasts only 15 minutes but each of those minutes would be well invested. This is the kind of sludge that is streamline and doesn't really deviate from its focus. Not overly showy, not laden with intricacies its pretty simple and each of the three tracks flow smoothly and surely, gradually building upon themselves in their short span. They start as heavy reverberations inside the mind and develop into quite impressive crescendos, the first track Tundra being the best example. Therein lies their strength, and it would truly be something to behold if they managed to make such last for more extended doses of sludgey goodness.

by R'Vannith

Comments

Comments: 31   Visited by: 134 users
09.04.2012 - 03:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Voted Autolatry because... none of the other bands interested me to be honest. Horse Drawn Death Machine were interesting though.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.04.2012 - 03:30
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Really? I'm listening to Collider right now and this is pretty sweet sludge. My favorites so far might be Collider, Autolatry, Schematics for Gravity, and As Fate Paves Ruin Hard to choose!!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
09.04.2012 - 03:43
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Shamelessly voting for Schematics for Gravity. I would have voted for either Collider or HDDM but I didn't dig the vocals of those two that much... the later one being pretty much donald duck.

I liked SfG so much I bought their EP weeks ago. Definitely following this guys. There's something about their post-metal that simply clicks with me and I love the vocals.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.04.2012 - 03:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Susan on 09.04.2012 at 03:30
Really?

Just goes to show you how varied these articles are. I mostly search for black/death/doom so if I'm only into one or two EPs/demos it means we're doing a good job giving attention to other genres.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.04.2012 - 03:51
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.04.2012 at 03:45

Written by Susan on 09.04.2012 at 03:30
Really?

Just goes to show you how varied these articles are. I mostly search for black/death/doom so if I'm only into one or two EPs/demos it means we're doing a good job giving attention to other genres.

Same here.. It would be very cool if all the eps/demos where of the style of music that I enjoy the most but I'm pretty sure CC would go downhill for the same reasons Troy stated. I like how we are keeping this as varied as possible.
----
Rod, let me love you.
09.04.2012 - 04:05
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Sometimes I just assume that everyone's taste in metal is as eclectic and schizo as mine. Reminder accepted.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
09.04.2012 - 04:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Susan on 09.04.2012 at 04:05

Sometimes I just assume that everyone's taste in metal is as eclectic and schizo as mine. Reminder accepted.

Well, I did enjoy most of what I heard nd I see how none of them are shitty at all but actually good acts... Some just hit home more than others. I would say this is one of the few issues where I dig all the eps/demos or at least all but one.
----
Rod, let me love you.
09.04.2012 - 04:43
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Trendy post-metal that Schematics for Gravity, got my vote.

Also dug As Fate Paves, but wheres the djent? Maybe in the drums
----
09.04.2012 - 05:55
Edmund Fogg
Finally it's back, God I needed my fix. Collider it is for me. But once again the nominees are all damn good in their respective genres. All hail Bandcamp and Soundcloud! and the Ms Staff/Elite that browses trought these endless database
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
09.04.2012 - 11:09
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Sounds like an interesting bunch.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
09.04.2012 - 13:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
For me after listening there was only 2 , one from T one from Ly ... in end I vote for Avalanche guy band , it was better how Ly band
Others was crap,
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.04.2012 - 18:13
Druss
Schematics for Gravity gets my vote, really enjoyed the emotive guitars on that one, but also enjoyed Horse Drawn Death Machine, Autolatry's, Collider's and As Fate Paves Ruins' EPs. Great CC picks.
09.04.2012 - 18:27
Julko
Collider - Simply brilliant!
----
You dun goofed
09.04.2012 - 21:14
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
Elite
Is the MG & The Juggernaut link correct? beacuse it takes you to Simon Miller's The Wolves ep
----
In this days we seem to be limited by scientific knowledge
"I'm a good man... while that don't interfere with my interest" Anonymous , taken from the low moderm and post-moderm consciences
09.04.2012 - 22:03
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Music4TheSpirit on 09.04.2012 at 21:14

Is the MG & The Juggernaut link correct? beacuse it takes you to Simon Miller's The Wolves ep

It is kind of weird but if you look at their myspace it has the same songs....
http://www.myspace.com/mgthejuggernaut/videos/following
----
Rod, let me love you.
09.04.2012 - 23:53
donkey
AUTOLATRY
10.04.2012 - 21:27
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
Elite
Im between MG & The Juggernaut & As Fate Paves Ruin, and later Collider is making me doubt... I reconsider it and finally give my vote to As Fate Paves Ruin
----
In this days we seem to be limited by scientific knowledge
"I'm a good man... while that don't interfere with my interest" Anonymous , taken from the low moderm and post-moderm consciences
11.04.2012 - 03:41
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Troy mr Joy you wonderful man. I fucking love Autolatry
11.04.2012 - 05:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Alex F on 11.04.2012 at 03:41
Troy mr Joy you wonderful man. I fucking love Autolatry

Glad to hear it! I was definitely pleasantly surprised.
----
11.04.2012 - 05:21
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.04.2012 at 05:16

Glad to hear it! I was definitely pleasantly surprised.

As was I. My friend who is normally a tone deaf cow, but he suggested i listen to this. It took me a while to get to it, considering i didn't value his opinion at all (what great friends we are), but when i did.. well i like it a lot.
13.04.2012 - 17:41
A.Ghosheh
Collider are great, sound like Ulcerate somehow. TamutAmen are interesting, short and intense tracks.
----
Kem Khefa Kheshef
13.04.2012 - 21:47
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Schematics For Gravity sounds so beautiful, wow, just what I needed today. Definitely getting my vote, but honorable mentions for As Fate Paves Ruin and Collider.
----

My Instagram
14.04.2012 - 13:22
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BloodTears on 13.04.2012 at 21:47

Schematics For Gravity sounds so beautiful, wow, just what I needed today. Definitely getting my vote, but honorable mentions for As Fate Paves Ruin and Collider.

I'm glad you liked it! I was very surprised when I listened to it
Greetings from Roadburn. ^___^
----
Rod, let me love you.
15.04.2012 - 10:24
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.04.2012 at 13:22

Written by BloodTears on 13.04.2012 at 21:47

I'm glad you liked it! I was very surprised when I listened to it
Greetings from Roadburn. ^___^

It surprised me too, I wasn't expecting something so good. How is Roadburn going?
----

My Instagram
28.05.2012 - 19:22
JD
Account deleted
I enjoyed Horse Drawn Death Machine the most, I'm definitely gonna download their album later today.
06.07.2012 - 16:13
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Autolatry is setting out on a US tour! So excited to see them in a few weeks. Check their FB page to see if they're coming near you; they're going damn near everywhere. Bring them some Metal Storm love:

https://www.facebook.com/Autolatry
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
07.07.2012 - 19:11
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Susan on 06.07.2012 at 16:13

Autolatry is setting out on a US tour! So excited to see them in a few weeks.

Thanks for the heads up. I might end up going to the Jacksonville show!
19.07.2012 - 17:17
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by Guest on 07.07.2012 at 19:11

Written by Susan on 06.07.2012 at 16:13

Autolatry is setting out on a US tour! So excited to see them in a few weeks.

Thanks for the heads up. I might end up going to the Jacksonville show!

DO IT. The show I caught earlier this week was awesome, and they're super nice dudes.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
01.02.2013 - 16:17
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Too bad the voting is already over. I was too late. But not too late to check out these bands.
I must confess, though, that out of them all I found only one up to my taste - Schematics for Gravity.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
01.02.2013 - 16:42
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by NocturnalStalker on 01.02.2013 at 16:17
I must confess, though, that out of them all I found only one up to my taste - Schematics for Gravity.

Well, they got in the CC Awards anyways! Fantastic stuff and I'm very glad people liked it!
----
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 11147 | This month: 27