Metal Storm logo
In Mourning - Entire New Album Streaming Online

The Weight Of Oceans, the upcoming new album from Swedish progressive melodic death metallers In Mourning is currently streaming online in its entirety at this location. The album will be streaming until its release on April 18th through Spinefarm Records. More album details were previously reported here.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: In Mourning
Posted: 12.04.2012 by Dark Blood

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 27   Visited by: 131 users
12.04.2012 - 12:44
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I'm tempted but I might wait until I have the original CD.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
12.04.2012 - 17:36
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by BloodTears on 12.04.2012 at 12:44

I couldn't resist temptation...

I gave it a try once, and so far my feelings are mixed towards the album. I don't want to spoil anything for you, so I'll just shut up. I think I'll wait for the original as well before judging.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
12.04.2012 - 17:37
MeloDeathViking

Written by BloodTears on 12.04.2012 at 12:44

I had that thought....it lasted about 30 seconds haha. Listening to it now. I'm only on the 2nd song, so it's too early to judge. I will say that I am enjoying it though.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
12.04.2012 - 17:54
scaesura

Listened yesterday.

Pretty meh. It just kinda... exists. Some good, some bad. Mostly the songs also all feel too long and meandering and dont really do anything.
12.04.2012 - 18:12
Chobo_jokeR

Meandering and Progressive are synonymous with one another lol. I'm digging what I hear so far.
12.04.2012 - 19:44
knightlightning

Can't wait...
12.04.2012 - 21:00
meadow

Better than i expected,better than monolith
12.04.2012 - 21:31
scaesura

Written by Chobo_jokeR on 12.04.2012 at 18:12

Meandering and Progressive are synonymous with one another lol. I'm digging what I hear so far.

There's a difference between "meandering" and writing songs that have some sort of end goal. That GO somewhere, as it were.

So yeah, this is so dull/average that the end result just sucks.
12.04.2012 - 22:15
muska

The more I listen to the better it gets
12.04.2012 - 22:40
Risto
Wandering Midget
Three-ish spins now... Some songs have grown on me a bit but this is still far from the level of the first two. It feels like it's seriously lacking those mellow guitar melodies this band surely knows how to do well. That said, "Colossus" is a standout track.
13.04.2012 - 02:13
elseif

Colossus opens the album nicely.
13.04.2012 - 04:51
scaesura

Written by Risto on 12.04.2012 at 22:40

Three-ish spins now... Some songs have grown on me a bit but this is still far from the level of the first two. It feels like it's seriously lacking those mellow guitar melodies this band surely knows how to do well. That said, "Colossus" is a standout track.

Really? I actually thought Colossus was one of the worst songs on it, if not the worst... Suffers so much from Opeth syndrome.
13.04.2012 - 05:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 13.04.2012 at 05:10
Opeth syndrome? wtf? and how exactly does a band suffer from having it. I wish every band had Opeth syndrome. Fuck, I even wish Opeth still had Opeth syndrome.

Opeth syndrome = meandering for three quarters of a song while forgetting to add substance to the music.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.04.2012 - 05:35
R'Vannith
ghedengi
'From a Tidal Sleep' is where its at, brilliant track. Overall this is sounding pretty impressive at the moment.
13.04.2012 - 05:44
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Guest on 13.04.2012 at 05:31

Isn't music itself substance? I'm not even a big Opeth fan, but I don't consider their work insubstantial.

Good point, but I think what is meant there by 'substance' is something which actually instills some sort of response in the listener. If you have an album which is built on all that 'meandering' without finding a way to attract the listener it all becomes intangible or inaccessible.
13.04.2012 - 05:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by R'Vannith on 13.04.2012 at 05:44
Good point, but I think what is meant there by 'substance' is something which actually instills some sort of response in the listener. If you have an album which is built on all that 'meandering' without finding a way to attract the listener it all becomes intangible or inaccessible.

What you said. My eyes honestly glazed over reading his comments. Not surprised he's such a big Opeth fan...

EDIT: Er, apparently he's not. Maybe he likes contemporary Iron Maiden then.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.04.2012 - 06:03
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Guest on 13.04.2012 at 05:52

Subjectivity determines a "response in a listener". If someone is entirely emotional, entirely internalized, meandering would be tumultuous. With that being said, this album isn't intangible or inaccessible.

Well as you speak of subjectivity I have no doubt that some are going to find this album inaccessible. Meandering is always, I guess, 'tumultuous' in the sense that it is an audial rollercoaster. Some choose to take the rollercoaster and really enjoy the ride, others are well and truly hurling by the end of it. Some forgo, or would have preferred to, the ride altogether.

I don't think you have to be 'entirely emotional' to find this album, or any album with 'meandering', to be inaccessible. Its all comes down to something as simple as plain old boredom.
13.04.2012 - 06:19
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Guest on 13.04.2012 at 06:12

Boredom and inaccessible are two distinct words with two distinctive meanings: they are not one and the same. Sometimes you have to put the expository pen down and pick it up only when it's needed.

If you find an album to be inaccessible I'm pretty sure you're going to be bored. Someone's not going to be like 'Fuck Yeah! I get absolutely nothing from this shit!'
13.04.2012 - 06:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 13.04.2012 at 06:12
And yes, some people are completely emotional and internalize, as evidential in their presumptions. (Like the Iron Maiden comment)

You presume I'm completely emotional and that I internalize based on the fact I drew a comparison to Iron Maiden's music and your commenting style?

I don't even have a vested interest in this band or Opeth. I only quoted you to explain what Opeth syndrome meant.
----
13.04.2012 - 07:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 13.04.2012 at 07:33
Http://tmkilljoy.tumblr.com/ - yes, internalized, all of it. I'm sorry mommy was bad to you, but you gotta get over your teenage angst sometime in life.

You're cute.
----
13.04.2012 - 07:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 13.04.2012 at 07:50
Http://metalstorm.net/inc/thumbnails.php?photos/1/12119.jpg - now that's cute, still have the baby face and all. Adorable, absolutely adorable, like teddy-bear adorable.

Are you done? This topic isn't about you trying to make fun of me, it's about a stupid band you seem to care about way too much.

Anyway, feel free to send me hate mail in The Pub or flame one of my reviews. Otherwise the topic will be reported to a Mod.
----
13.04.2012 - 08:09
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Well that descended into irrelevance pretty quickly.. -.-
Anywho, album is very good I think. There is definitely a different feel to this one than the previous.
13.04.2012 - 09:36
advent

Written by R'Vannith on 13.04.2012 at 08:09

Well that descended into irrelevance pretty quickly.. -.-
Anywho, album is very good I think. There is definitely a different feel to this one than the previous.

I wanted to feel that but really the album isn't that good , and as you said in previous comment 'From a Tidal Sleep' is a brilliant track , this album is heaviest album they created till now and i like that , but i missed their "mellow" side and their songwriting can't keep up the momentum the same in a 7 or 8 minutes song which makes me bored sometimes in a middle of most of the songs after a great start , they are promising band but they can't progress if they focus on long songs like Opeth , they need to concentrate their creativity in more shorter songs and expanding thier sound much more and they will do great.
13.04.2012 - 10:05
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by scaesura on 13.04.2012 at 04:51

Really? I actually thought Colossus was one of the worst songs on it, if not the worst... Suffers so much from Opeth syndrome.

It has the best melodies of the entire record and is one of the very few tracks I can recall well. Otherwise I remember something about From a Tidal Sleep, Celestial Tear, and random sections I can't even connect to songs. This album is simply boring
13.04.2012 - 18:32
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by advent on 13.04.2012 at 09:36

I wanted to feel that but really the album isn't that good , and as you said in previous comment 'From a Tidal Sleep' is a brilliant track , this album is heaviest album they created till now and i like that , but i missed their "mellow" side and their songwriting can't keep up the momentum the same in a 7 or 8 minutes song which makes me bored sometimes in a middle of most of the songs after a great start , they are promising band but they can't progress if they focus on long songs like Opeth , they need to concentrate their creativity in more shorter songs and expanding thier sound much more and they will do great.

Can't say this is any less mellow than Monolith. Not sure about the debut though as I haven't heard it. I don't think there's any doubt that these guys can put together a driving riff but I agree, the longer they draw things out they run the risk of getting a bit bland. They seem to burst out with brilliance but fade at times, especially, as you mention, in those longer tracks. Some of the shorter tracks are a bit more engaging perhaps, yet so are some of the lengthier ones for me so far.

I'm hoping that the more I listen the better they'll all string together. If I remember rightly Monolith took me quite a while to get into, considering melodeath was new to me at the time.
13.04.2012 - 21:50
scaesura

The worst part about this album I think, other than the terribly cliche/poppy/out of place clean vocals, is that it's so tantalizing. I think each song except Colossus had at least one idea that I actually liked, but the songwriting/execution was so terrible that the idea just is there, surrounded by ineptitude. That, and again, the songs just kind of... exist. They're too long, and they just feel stitched together like a collection of riffs, some of which are good and some of which are bad.
14.04.2012 - 11:03
advent

Written by scaesura on 13.04.2012 at 21:50

The worst part about this album I think, other than the terribly cliche/poppy/out of place clean vocals, is that it's so tantalizing. I think each song except Colossus had at least one idea that I actually liked, but the songwriting/execution was so terrible that the idea just is there, surrounded by ineptitude. That, and again, the songs just kind of... exist. They're too long, and they just feel stitched together like a collection of riffs, some of which are good and some of which are bad.

I can't agree more , they need to filter their ideas and songwriting to get the best of it, not every idea you get is worth to be in album, they need to raise their quality to progress more, also they need to change their sound and put additional elements to their music to make it more richer.

Hits total: 3822 | This month: 4