Metal Storm logo
Experimental metal

12.04.2012 - 19:36
The Turbanator
I'm searching for bands like Portal or Terra Tenebrosa. Those that play Experimental Black/Death. Music that is very dark and unexplainable.

In case you haven't heard of them :

----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
12.04.2012 - 19:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Well Terra Tenebrosa don't really play black or death metal but yeah, if you like Portal then you'll obviously like Impetuous Ritual. Watchmaker have an intensity comparable to those two, though more grind based. Immense band though. Can't go wrong with Dragged Into Sunlight either. Think it's worth mentioning Mithras's first album too. (those are all youtube clips by the way)

Kinda just winging it really as I''m not exactly sure what you're after. Portal and Terra Tenebrosa aren't really comparable for me.
12.04.2012 - 19:57
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 12.04.2012 at 19:49
Portal and Terra Tenebrosa aren't really comparable for me.

Ya I didn't really know how to attack this. I was like... Impetuous Ritual/Ulcerate/Mitochondrion/Flourishing and stuff? Akercocke?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.04.2012 - 19:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.04.2012 at 19:57

Ya I didn't really know how to attack this. I was like... Impetuous Ritual/Ulcerate/Mitochondrion/Flourishing and stuff? Akercocke?

I'm guessing everything that's been mentioned is stuff he's heard before at any rate but I'm hoping something I haven't heard will materialise on this thread.
12.04.2012 - 20:02
The Turbanator
Cheers guys. I actually haven't heard any of them yet. This "genre" is new for me actually. That's why I'm a little confused about the Terra Tenebrosa thing.

Anyway thanks! Keep them coming!

EDIT : Jesus Christ.... IMPETUOUS RITUAL is awesome!!
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
13.04.2012 - 00:12
theFIST
For something similar to portal you can check Ignivomous, Plague Widow and Vasaleth
but for your liking of Terra Tenebrosa i can only make a few (not necessarily fitting) guesses:
Deathspell Omega, Dodecahedron, Profundi, Svart Crown, Vulvark, Wildernessking
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
13.04.2012 - 01:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by theFIST on 13.04.2012 at 00:12

but for your liking of Terra Tenebrosa i can only make a few (not necessarily fitting) guesses:

Personally I wouldn't recommend black metal bands for a fan of Terra Tenrbrosa. Admittedly I'm not sure what I'd recommend, probably something in an avant/post/drone outfit of some kind.
13.04.2012 - 01:19
theFIST
Written by Guest on 13.04.2012 at 01:02

Written by theFIST on 13.04.2012 at 00:12

Personally I wouldn't recommend black metal bands for a fan of Terra Tenrbrosa. Admittedly I'm not sure what I'd recommend, probably something in an avant/post/drone outfit of some kind.

considering behexen, darkspace, blut aus nord and many more are on his profile i think he wouldn"t mind it being black
also i"m surprised you don"t know what to suggest, that"s a novelty
----
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
13.04.2012 - 01:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by theFIST on 13.04.2012 at 01:19

considering behexen, darkspace, blut aus nord and many more are on his profile i think he wouldn"t mind it being black

Terra Tenebrosa have become notoriously difficult to categorise. I've just gone for some kind of avant-garde metal with drone elements but there's not much else that sounds like them.
13.04.2012 - 01:35
theFIST
Written by Guest on 13.04.2012 at 01:24

Written by theFIST on 13.04.2012 at 01:19

Terra Tenebrosa have become notoriously difficult to categorise. I've just gone for some kind of avant-garde metal with drone elements but there's not much else that sounds like them.

maybe they"ll start a genre
----
13.04.2012 - 01:36
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 13.04.2012 at 01:02
Personally I wouldn't recommend black metal bands for a fan of Terra Tenrbrosa.

I wouldn't recommend them to a black metal fan, either. But like you said... near-impossible to categorize and thus just as difficult to supply a list of similar artists.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.04.2012 - 03:24
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
This Terra band sounds interesting...
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
13.04.2012 - 06:14
Branzig
Extreme Noise Terror
----
In Grind We Crust
27.05.2012 - 10:36
The Turbanator
Came across this. Experimental Doom/Death?

----
06.06.2012 - 16:39
PlanetZeta
Hey guys,

I wanted to get some feedback on my new project The Zeta Reticuli.
My last band DARK ADAPTION has called it quits. We have disbanded but out of the ashes we have a faster, heavier, more progressive sound. For Fans of Whitechapel, Beneath the Massacre, Cattle Decapitation, Veil of Maya, Meshuggah etc.

http://www.reverbnation.com/thezetareticuli

Drop by show some love and give our track a spin. Any feedback would be appreciated.
13.06.2012 - 14:07
JD
Account deleted
Experimental death\black\industrial\electro\oriental

13.06.2012 - 19:01
The Turbanator
Written by Guest on 13.06.2012 at 14:07

Experimental death\black\industrial\electro\oriental

Amazing!
----
23.06.2012 - 09:57
Alkerdeel from the Netherlands. A bit different, strong sludge and black metal influences, but it has a similar kind of vibe. It purely rocks and is criminally underrated, anyway. Check out the new album "Morinde", you won't be disappointed.

Azoic just popped out of nowhere (well, Iceland technically, but such a quality first release was unexpected is what I mean) with an absolutely AWESOME debut called "Gateways". More melodic than Portal and that, but still experimental. There's a LOT of depth, quality and diversity here. UNMISSABLE.
23.06.2012 - 13:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by deathexhortation on 23.06.2012 at 09:57

Azoic just popped out of nowhere (well, Iceland technically, but such a quality first release was unexpected is what I mean) with an absolutely AWESOME debut called "Gateways". More melodic than Portal and that, but still experimental. There's a LOT of depth, quality and diversity here. UNMISSABLE.

Actually they do sound pretty impressive indeed, cheers for the heads up.

24.06.2012 - 12:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite

Alkerdeel from the Netherlands.

They have nothing to do with The Netherlands except that Mories from Gnaw Their Tongoues etc. did an intor and outro on their most recent album. Alkerdeel are from Belgium.

But yeah great band.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.06.2012 - 14:43
The Turbanator
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.06.2012 at 12:03

They have nothing to do with The Netherlands except that Mories from Gnaw Their Tongoues etc. did an intor and outro on their most recent album. Alkerdeel are from Belgium.

But yeah great band.

Don't think they are experimental though. More like Blackened Sludge right?
----
24.06.2012 - 15:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by The Turbanator on 24.06.2012 at 14:43

Yup, they have a sound of their own but nothing really experimental about their music.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.06.2012 - 00:37
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.06.2012 at 12:03

But yeah great band.

Yup, I remembered wrongly. Stand corrected.

Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.06.2012 at 15:47

Written by The Turbanator on 24.06.2012 at 14:43

Yup, they have a sound of their own but nothing really experimental about their music.

Yes, not truly experimental, I agree, but their sound was brought to my mind. People who like experimental music in the vein of Portal etc may be interested. They are unique, as you say.
11.07.2012 - 03:29
The Turbanator
Found a band (which I'm not sure if they are Experimental but they do sound like Portal a little bit). Info says they're from Australia, only released one demo and decided to split up. Demo available in cassette only and it consists of 3 tracks.

Here :

----