Metal Storm logo
Metal Genres: Hate/Love

Original post

Posted by Carrion Misery, 14.04.2012 - 00:46
When ever someone bashed another genre, I always wondered what genre they were passionate about. So I put this forward to find out your perspective:

1. Name only one of your favorite genres from the list below.
2. In the order of genres I have provided for you, explain with 3 - 5 sentences per genre why you hate or like that genre. I'm not getting into subgenres like brutal death, depressive black metal, etc. If you don't feel like typing a book, just say how you feel about it a few words.
3. List as many of your favorite combined/sub genres as you want like I did at the end.

Black Metal
Death Metal
Djent
Doom Metal
Gothic Metal
Heavy Metal
Metalcore
Power Metal
Progressive Metal
Thrash

Favorite Genre: Doom Metal

Black Metal: Like
It is one of the only genres that captures anguish, violence, aggression and melancholy so well. Songs that can drone on and on to be quite soothing actually. Something I can lose myself in, bang my head to and repulse people when I'm passing in the car (though death metal is great for that too).

Death Metal: Like
Definitely one of my favorites. The raw intensity and pure display of relentless blasting and growls really fuels me up for a productive day (oddly enough). Death metal inspires and motivated me musically. Only genre that makes me yell, "FUCK!" after a sick crescendo of blasting and solos. The endurance and pin point accuracy that goes into performing death metal is nothing to be scoffed at.

Djent: Hate
Though I try not to compare this genre to genres I know as "metal", I want to know what fellow metalheads truly think of it. While most djent bands I've come across are undoubtedly musically gifted, I can't get past the repetitiveness and tough guy attitude. The vocals are the nail in the coffin for me; directionless yapping with semblance of a little shit dog turns me off, and the whining, ohhh the whining.

Doom Metal: Love
One of the first metal genres I got into. It's the only genre that can give me goosebumps, and help me through a shitty day with its beautiful melodies and rageful tendancies. Helps fall asleep quick too. An excellent source of inspiration, and great background music to draw to.

Gothic Metal: Neutral
Though it blends well with many doom metal bands, I suppose I'm only neutral on this genre at this point. I used to be big into it, and it doesn't bother me when it comes on a random play list. I feel its slightly whiny and over dramatic, but some days it's the perfect stuff to listen to.

Heavy Metal: Like
What's not to like? As cheesy as it can be, heavy metal fuckin rocks; and its fun to listen/sing along to. Perfect workout music, and great for BBQs.

Metalcore: Hate
Plastic middle school training-wheels of fail. Honestly I liked this back in 1999, and I'm not afraid to admit it. When I fell more into doom, death and black, I found no originality, passion or depth in metalcore. I don't need it, it is obsolete. What valuable lesson I learned from this genre: If you love a band instantly, you will most likely stop liking it 6 months down the road and even dread them, but the bands you can't seem to get into right away have potential to be your favorite music of all time.

Power Metal: Like
I'm actually pretty big into power metal. At first, I didn't like it since it's on the opposite side of the metal spectrum compared to doom metal, but I've learned to dig it throughout the years. The singers have tremendous talent and vocal power, and the band is usually fun to listen. It's futile for me to not sing along. I never got the whole "flower" metal thing because that's definitely not the impression I got from it.

Progressive Metal: Love
Put progressive in front of almost any genre, and I'll probably like it if it isn't overly self-indulgent. I constantly catch myself air drumming and singing a long. I am captivated and inspired by the musical/vocal talent and musical structures of bands like Darkwater, Evergrey and Dream Theater. People say Progressive is more of an accent than a genre, but I just named three bands there that I can't put another genre to other than Progressive.

Thrash: Dislike
I don't quite hate thrash, but the genre has ran into the ground for me. Slayer this, Slayer that - Slayer is the only thrash band I really need, and that's sad. I feel I've just found better music that captures not only the emotions thrash offers, but they expand on those emotions and even feature multiple, and I can't help I feel that way.

Favorite Combined Genres
Progressive Doom Metal
Progressive Death Metal
Progressive Power Metal
Blackened Death Metal
Symphonic Black Metal

Any kind of folk metal is pretty sweet too.
20.05.2012 - 14:56
Mr. Blonde

They aren't few and far between on many sites. Perhaps this one they are, I dunno. I've been told I don't get to have an opinion on death metal because I didn't listen to black metal before. Probably one of the more asinine things I've heard on a msg forum. Not on this site of course though.

As for the second thing you said... come to think of it, you do sort of have a point.
The whole rant was intended to be tongue-in-cheek style. But I suppose it doesn't always come across that way. I'm not trying to put people down for being fans. I was scrutinized all through high school for listening to any kind of metal. I don't intend to project that attitude on others. Also I don't proclaim certain styles to be above others. Black has always been an important genre, it just isn't my style. Thing is, I had been listening to various forms of metal steadily for roughly the past 16 years. Then I started joining a few online communities here n there just in the past few years. All of a sudden I'm not a real metal fan anymore because Black Metal is the trend (despite not being trendy in the real world) and it was something I was never really apart of. Then comes the leper treatment along with the other 5 people on a given site who don't put BM on a pedestal above all other genres of metal.

This place I do hope is different, like you say. Either way, this way, rather then get booted off the site for some flame battle later on, I figured this thread gave me a chance to state my opinions up front and test the waters to see if this is a laid back enough community.
20.05.2012 - 15:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Mr. Blonde on 20.05.2012 at 14:56

They aren't few and far between on many sites. Perhaps this one they are, I dunno. I've been told I don't get to have an opinion on death metal because I didn't listen to black metal before. Probably one of the more asinine things I've heard on a msg forum. Not on this site of course though.

As for the second thing you said... come to think of it, you do sort of have a point.
The whole rant was intended to be tongue-in-cheek style. But I suppose it doesn't always come across that way. I'm not trying to put people down for being fans. I was scrutinized all through high school for listening to any kind of metal. I don't intend to project that attitude on others. Also I don't proclaim certain styles to be above others. Black has always been an important genre, it just isn't my style. Thing is, I had been listening to various forms of metal steadily for roughly the past 16 years. Then I started joining a few online communities here n there just in the past few years. All of a sudden I'm not a real metal fan anymore because Black Metal is the trend (despite not being trendy in the real world) and it was something I was never really apart of. Then comes the leper treatment along with the other 5 people on a given site who don't put BM on a pedestal above all other genres of metal.

Sounds like you're describing the true internet keyboard warriors. The ones that don't even buy the music and don't go to gigs and have no affinity with what is really going on in the metal world. They think they're all cool and shit for "liking" the obscurest of bands but will most probably be laughed right out of the room by their so-called heroes if they ever come face to face with them.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.05.2012 - 15:07
Cal Wolvington
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.05.2012 at 15:01

Sounds like you're describing the true internet keyboard warriors. The ones that don't even buy the music and don't go to gigs and have no affinity with what is really going on in the metal world. They think they're all cool and shit for "liking" the obscurest of bands but will most probably be laughed right out of the room by their so-called heroes if they ever come face to face with them.

What about people who buy albums, sell albums, support their favorite bands and promote their favorites among friends, but don't get involved in the metal world in other ways, because they dislike crowds and strangers? Is there a place in the tr00 metal formula for people like me?
20.05.2012 - 15:46
Mr. Blonde

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.05.2012 at 15:01

You're probably right. I understand that that phenomenon exists, I just don't get why. As much as I just ranted about feeling like a second class metal citizen online, I'd still much prefer that. And I'd prefer openly discussing how much I enjoy any given, totally, cringe worthy band, over being a fake or pretending to go along with whatever type of metal is the currently most respected on most websites. I've encountered this shit often enough that I just tend to expect it anymore I guess. But one more time for the record, I don't mean to put down any metalstormers by that ranting, I don't even know you guys yet, so just know that that rant is not directed at anyone here.
20.05.2012 - 15:59
Mr. Blonde

Written by Guest on 20.05.2012 at 15:07

What about people who buy albums, sell albums, support their favorite bands and promote their favorites among friends, but don't get involved in the metal world in other ways, because they dislike crowds and strangers? Is there a place in the tr00 metal formula for people like me?

Well sure there is. Some people just have an innate discomfort around large groups of people, it's a not big deal. I don't really have that problem, but I've known several people who do. Just trying to get them to go to even like a sporting event is nearly impossible. But it's not something they can really control, and it doesn't make them any less fans of a given team, and it doesn't make you any less of a metal fan because you don't go to concerts and such. In some ways you're still kinda missing out, in others, not so much...

An example: The last concert I was at was The Hunter/Heritage show (Mastodon, Opeth and Ghost). The show was great, all three bands seemed to be in top form. But something that happened there really pissed me off, and perhaps even fueled my rant here just a bit. There were a bunch of dudes just randomly heckling the hell out of Opeth. Makes me wonder why they bought tickets in the first place. I mean they had to know damn well it was their first real tour in support of Heritage, they are obviously going to play the prog rock stuff off of it. But these guys would not shut the fuck up with (play real metal this and "this album sux" that) the entire night... even after Opeth played Demon of the Fall (which was cool as I've never heard em play it live before) and everyone else was happy after that.
20.05.2012 - 18:56
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Lol, seems you can't dislike anything without be argued with.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
21.05.2012 - 15:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Quote:
That said, I am not here to troll this site, offend people or hate on bands. I'd rather not be banned from MS so soon, as I just got here. But if that happens, so be it.

Hi! First of all, welcome to the site, hopefully you will enjoy it! Second, relax dude... No one of the powerful people here ban users because of something so natural as not liking a subgenre, specially if you wrote your opinion in a respectful matter.
That being said...

Quote:
But comparing punk to BM?! GASP... yeah I realize the genres are a world apart.

Actually... The pu8nk's influence in metal is pretty obvious, so there's a point in comparing them.

Quote:
Socially

Overall, I think it's stupid to hate "X" based on the people around "X". So this whole part is silly to me. But I can't just say that so I'll take a couple of interesting passages from your post.

Quote:
Did I get to hipsters yet?

Well yeah, I'll try to not repeat myself too much but like I said above, I see no point in caring for minority, even if the minority speaks louder.

Quote:
Honestly if I started listening to Blut Aus Nord (whatever the fuck that band is called) I might as well just gain 50 lbs, grow a neck beard and find some round glasses to wear in doors and at night because that would be far easier for me than trying to fit into one of the other deranged demographics that frequent BM shows.

Honestly, I did not get this. Specially the mention of Blut Aus Nord in a hipster context... Quite off.

Quote:
You may be wondering... why rant about this? Because one thing pisses me off more than anything else about BM. It's the elitism!

Huh, trust me... Doom has as many elitists and they are just as much of an asshole as the ones you see in BM.

Quote:
But as you can see above, I am very open-minded about EVERY other metal genre (except deathcore which we can all agree is an abomination of metal in general). So maybe I'm not so offbase in my ranting.

Not really offbase (except the BAN connection to the hipster idea which I find simply hilarious)... but the overall feeling I get that your comment only applies to an idea of every BM being extremely anti-religion and too worried about their looks... Which is of course not entirely wrong, but your whole post gives out an impresion that it's the only thing you know about BM... That kind of people is a dying breed, not as much with the fans but definitely with the musicians with many BM bands coming out more and more with ideas both musically and lyrically different from what is the "BM cliche" Your comment iscompletely OK if you ask me since I don't expect anyone who doesn't dig a certain genre to actually know the genre in detail. So any one flaming you while knowing you aren't interesting in the genre is quite an idiot.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with people liking BM as long as they have a good grip on reality. For most normal fans, BM is just a style of music that they enjoy but do not take to seriously. I imagine that most of the metalstormers here who listen to it fall into the category.

Hmmmmmm... no sorry, I just think this is wrong and in this case YOU are the one with not a rip on reality when it comes to the people around BM. Or any genre for that matter...

What is "take it seriously" to you? By your post, you make it seem like "Taking it seriously" means being an elitist prick.... In that case all the music you listen to you don't take seriously as you aren't a dick about your music, yes? You are confusing "taking it seriously" which applies to the people that love the genre for what it is and for what it represents to them... To "being an extemist". Those two are not the same thing. There's nothing wrong with taking the music you love seriously, it's being a dick with other people in regards to your tastes which is something wrong. I know I'm ranting about a language thing, but it bothers me.

Quote:
Every genre has those btw, but black doesn't get called out for theirs enough.

What the F.... If there is ONE subgenre in metal that is as easy as a target as aiming a nuclear bomb to a bucket full of fish... is Black Metal. So this part of your post is really off.

But yeah dude.... Peace! Have a great time here!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
21.05.2012 - 19:15
Hellbrann

Favourite genre: Folk metal.

Black Metal: Dislike
Not my cup of tea. There is some I like, but it's mostly of the melodic or symphonic variety. The grim and tr00 stuff doesn't appeal to me.

Death Metal: Like
One of the first extreme genres I heard. The raw agression and technical playing are just awesome. I like that death metal is way broader than you'd expect at first. From the grooving oldschool bands to more thrash influenced bands and the organized chaos of bands such as Obscura and Necrophagist. And it's awesome to look for the most gory lyrics possible.

Djent: Indifferent
If you classify Meshuggah as djent, I adore them, but I find most djent to be very generic and not that exciting.

Doom Metal: Like
Mostly extreme stuff, funeral and doom/death. I think that doom metal is one of the genres that contains to most crappy bands. I love heartfelt lyrics and doom metal often has beautiful lyrics, especially the gothic doom. Perfectly executed doom gives me goosebumps and a sense of melancholy. Good doom touches the heart, but beautiful doom touches the soul.

Gothic Metal: Indifferent
Depends on what qualifies as gothic. I like Lacrimosa and a whole lot of symphonic meta bands with female vocalists but I don't know it they qualify as 'gothic'.

Heavy Metal: Like
The really oldschool stuff, with pounding drums and cool riffs is awesome.

Metalcore: Dislike
Not my cup of tea, I like some bands like Unearth, but too generic for my tastes.

Power Metal: Adore
The gayer and cheesier, the better. I love power metal the most out of all genres. The bombastic sound, speedy bassdrums and flurry of riffs are awesome! Power metal makes me feel like a knight riding a dragon, and dragons are bloody awesome! And symphonic metal is the most awesome of all power metal

Progressive Metal: Like
I adore Dream Theater and Devin Townsend. But if I find a prog band too incoherent to make sense of their music I quit. Power/prog I like most of the time though.

Thrash: Like
As long as it grooves, the singer has a nice venomous voice and the drums are tight, I like thrash. But after a while it bores me, so it's not my favourite genre.

Also, I find your lack of folk metal disturbing. I ADORE folk metal. By far one of the most versatile and diverse genres of metal. Mythology is a big interest of mine, so that's a plus, and weird instruments are always nice. Folk metal is m favourite genre, ever.

Crossover genres:
Death/thrash metal
Symphonic metal (all forms)
Progressive death metal
Progressive power metal
Viking metal, I count that as a crossover between folk/pagan and black metal.
----
Druantia | Folk metal
22.05.2012 - 03:29
Mr. Blonde

Quote:
Hi! First of all, welcome to the site, hopefully you will enjoy it! Second, relax dude... No one of the powerful people here ban users because of something so natural as not liking a subgenre, specially if you wrote your opinion in a respectful matter.
That being said...

Thanks. And yes I'll chill, I mean I guess I didn't know what to expect so I figured I'd mention that I'd rather be banned early on then down the road.

Quote:
Actually... The pu8nk's influence in metal is pretty obvious, so there's a point in comparing them.

Good point.

Quote:
Overall, I think it's stupid to hate "X" based on the people around "X". So this whole part is silly to me. But I can't just say that so I'll take a couple of interesting passages from your post.

Overall, you're right.
But I think the thing is this. I've been a fan of metal for a long time but I've only turned to internet communities regarding metal rather recently. Part of this is due to my age. A lot of my friends who were once diehard fans are now starting families and stuff and while most of them still love their old favorites, not nearly as many of them have the time, or are as interested in keeping up with metal as a whole. Upon joining some online forums and such in various places, black metal was actually one of the genres I had some interest in. But the more extreme, raw stuff that I heard just didn't really do it for me though like death and even thrash does. Which is fine. But some of the attitudes about the superiority of black metal (specifically that style) which I saw on those forums were being treated like law and anyone who disagreed was looked down upon. And as a result, I saw a lot of people posing as the biggest fans ever of that stuff just to fit in. At a few concerts with mixed genres, I started getting a firsthand look at hipsters in action and found those types to be even worse than imagined. That whole mentality turned me further off of a genre that already can take some considerable time getting accustomed to Plus the ideology and image of some of those bands are really off putting to many people, including most of my metalhead friends. Not that I should really give a shit what they think, especially since we all used to listen to stuff like Morbid Angel back in the day.

Quote:
Honestly if I started listening to Blut Aus Nord (whatever the fuck that band is called) I might as well just gain 50 lbs, grow a neck beard and find some round glasses to wear in doors and at night because that would be far easier for me than trying to fit into one of the other deranged demographics that frequent BM shows.

Quote:
Honestly, I did not get this. Specially the mention of Blut Aus Nord in a hipster context... Quite off.

Well I suppose I've displayed my ignorance here. I'll at least admit that. I will take your word that Blut Aus Nord are not a hipster loved band. I should've researched that before I said it. I just figured well they're French and hipsters love everything from France

Quote:
Huh, trust me... Doom has as many elitists and they are just as much of an asshole as the ones you see in BM.

Probably true, I just haven't encountered that really yet.

Quote:
But as you can see above, I am very open-minded about EVERY other metal genre (except deathcore which we can all agree is an abomination of metal in general). So maybe I'm not so offbase in my ranting.

Quote:
Not really offbase (except the BAN connection to the hipster idea which I find simply hilarious)... but the overall feeling I get that your comment only applies to an idea of every BM being extremely anti-religion and too worried about their looks... Which is of course not entirely wrong, but your whole post gives out an impresion that it's the only thing you know about BM... That kind of people is a dying breed, not as much with the fans but definitely with the musicians with many BM bands coming out more and more with ideas both musically and lyrically different from what is the "BM cliche" Your comment iscompletely OK if you ask me since I don't expect anyone who doesn't dig a certain genre to actually know the genre in detail. So any one flaming you while knowing you aren't interesting in the genre is quite an idiot.

Okay, cool.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with people liking BM as long as they have a good grip on reality. For most normal fans, BM is just a style of music that they enjoy but do not take to seriously. I imagine that most of the metalstormers here who listen to it fall into the category.

Quote:
Hmmmmmm... no sorry, I just think this is wrong and in this case YOU are the one with not a rip on reality when it comes to the people around BM. Or any genre for that matter...

What is "take it seriously" to you? By your post, you make it seem like "Taking it seriously" means being an elitist prick.... In that case all the music you listen to you don't take seriously as you aren't a dick about your music, yes? You are confusing "taking it seriously" which applies to the people that love the genre for what it is and for what it represents to them... To "being an extemist". Those two are not the same thing. There's nothing wrong with taking the music you love seriously, it's being a dick with other people in regards to your tastes which is something wrong. I know I'm ranting about a language thing, but it bothers me.

I should've used the word extremist or something else instead of "take too seriously". But yeah, that's what I meant. There is nothing wrong with taking music you enjoy serious. This was just a language use thing, my bad.

I could give an example of music fans living in a fantasy world though: Where I went to high school, most guys listened to rap and hip-hop. Our school considerably lacked diversity though. So there were a lot of dudes who acted as though they were Straight Outta Compton, when their family actually owned a farm or something. Now 90% of the gangster rap fans were cool though, just regular, well adjusted kids who happened to listen to that style, but didn't take it "to any kind of extreme". However there was a small group of them who did. It just didn't seem to be coincidence that the kids who got into hard drugs like crack and brought weapons to school and harassed girls and were often getting expelled and such also happened to worship Tupac. These aren't just shallow stereotypes either, I witnessed this firsthand. I mean maybe those kids were assholes either way, or maybe they allowed their music to sway their own morality and worldview. That's what I meant by "taking too seriously", though I should've used different language.

Fortunately, no form of metal promotes those sort of things. But death and black both have their negative connotations none the less. I've heard 'em all when it comes to death and had a few of those generalizations unfairly directed at myself before. Thus, I should be more understanding when it comes to BM, but the (now mostly dead) culture that once sprang up around it still seems more alien to me. Though for a BM fan, perhaps Tampa Death is the same way to them.

Quote:
Every genre has those btw, but black doesn't get called out for theirs enough.

Quote:
:lol: What the F.... If there is ONE subgenre in metal that is as easy as a target as aiming a nuclear bomb to a bucket full of fish... is Black Metal. So this part of your post is really off.

But yeah dude.... Peace! Have a great time here!

Not from my experience. If anything is an easy target, it's Power. And I like power metal, but even some of the bands I enjoy make me cringe at times. But I think the cheesiness is actually part of Power Metal's charm.

And alright, you too!
10.11.2021 - 10:36
akhilesh
Account deleted
Heavy Metal : Love ... The first genre that got me into metal ..No matter how many sub genres I keep exploring and loving,, bands like Iron Maiden ,Judas priest ,WASP,Black sabbath,DIO were the bands that actually helped me learn what even actual music is with heavy powerful solos .This genre had helped me in immense to come out of my sad days and it is the influence of all many other upcoming bands with other Sub genres .My third favourite genre .

Thrash :love ..One of my very favourite genres ..The fast riffing yet powerful riffs and solos have always made me explore many and many bands like Anthrax, Megadeth, Metallica, and Slayer, Destruction, Kreator, Sodom.The best thing I like about Thrash is its fast riffing and heaviness yet being melodic at the same time ..My second favourite genre

Doom Metal :Extremely love .This is the sub genre which I am heavily exploring now and started loving almost all the various doom sub genres like traditional,epic,death ,gothic ,funeral,atmospheric ..Though it seems to appear as if it as slow riff,the atmosphere which doom creates is the best u can ever get to listen in your entire life ..After listening to doom stuffs ,I have literally got goose flesh and overwhelmed as to how can music be made so great and how could these musicians make such awesome music ..Many people I have seen saying doom is boring ..I really recommend u to listen Empyrium,Swallow The Sun,Doom:VS ,,October Tide,,Mourning Beloveth,Morgion,Officium Triste ,Novembre ,Solitude Aeturnus etc .My favourite sub genre of all ..

Black Metal :love ..Except for bands which really target a religion,,Black metal bands have very powerful solos and melodies and riff and a kind of epic dark ethereal transcedental atmosphere which is not found in other sub genres ..The production quality in many black metal bands are extremely amazing .My second favourite with Thrash .Love all its sub genres like symphonic black ,progressive black ,atmospheric black,ambient black .,black death ..My fourth favourite genre ..

Death Metal :Love .My third fav genre besides traditional heavy metal ..This was the first genre where I was introduced to a new term called growling ..To people who dont know much about metal and death metal ..They may find it weird ..But it takes a huge talent to even be extremely talented at growling ..Death ,Cannibal Corpse,immolation ,nile ,crytopsy are some of my favourite bands in this genre ..Love symphonic death ,Progressive death,melodic death,technical death a lot .

Symphonic metal : Like ...The combination of symphonies + heavy metal is definetely a great metal which can show how much diversified metal .is ..Bands like Therion,Septic Flesh ,Flesh god apocalypse ,nightwish are must listen bands ..

Gothic : I like Gothic metal also ..many of the famous bands have strong gothic atmosphere and it is another unique set of metal ...

Folk :Like ...Metal combined with so many different nations's classical and indigenous music ..Metal does not only need to be heavy .Even when combined with so many traditional instruments of nations also it sounds super classical yet heavy the same time ..It is also something I like ...

Power : Dislike ..Although when combined with other genres like progressive power,Symphonic power ,neo classical power .,,It sounds good ..Just only power without any fused sub genres is sometimes very cheesy to me ..Very few bands I can try but I dont get along with it ...

Deathcore/metalcore/nu metal/alternative/Rap :Hate :One word :I dont like it and cant even listen even for few seconds with any of this genre ..

Djent : Dislike :Except for meshuggah ,I cant stand any other bands of this genre ...

Industrial :neutral :Neither I like Nor I dislike it ...

Progressive :Extremely Dislike and extremely boring :This is a genre which ONLY when combined with other sub genres like Progressive death,Industrial Progressive ,Progressive Black,Progressive instrumental ,Extreme progressive ,Progressive Thrash ,Progressive Power ,Progressive symphonic ,Neo classical ,Progressive technical ,Progressive melodic death actually sounds very awesome ..BUT Only Progressive WITHOUT any sub genre fused to it is BORING and Extremely generic music which I cannot seem to stand even for 2 minutes ..Most overrated genre in metal scene ..I gave a try to many of the ONLY progressive non fused with other sub genre songs .Found most of them were very straight music which does not have the atmosphere which touches u deep or has the melody or touching solos which usually other sub genre has ..

The above list is my own favourite and each one has his/her own taste and not meant to overlook or underlook any genre as all metal musicians are super extremely talented ..

Fav combined sub genre :
Death doom
Epic doom
traditional doom
funeral doom
atmospheric black
symphonic black
melodic death
technical death
Progressive death
Progressive black
Progressive thrash