Bandcamp music player
Reviewer:

48 users:
Band: Monolithe
Album: Interlude Second
Release date: January 2012

01. Harmony Of Null Matter - Section 1
02. Harmony Of Null Matter - Section 2

Those of you familiar with 2001: A Space Odyssey know what the Monolith stands for, an unearthly messenger that saved the man-ape from extinction and taught him how to hunt and survive in a barren desiccated land. Its appearance was the fictional point in history when we, humans, truly exited from the most primeval and undeveloped version of us. Monolithe assume the role of this beacon of enlightenment, taking us in a journey far beyond in space towards cosmic realms no man ever dreamed of reaching ?

Ok enough with this self-indulgent crap.

Monolithe, the French doomsters, are mostly known for their brand of cosmic themed funeral doom similar to the likes of Shape Of Despair and has delivered through their two full-length albums some unique pieces of ethereal beauty. Plans were made for a third album but everything was postponed and instead they gave us this little EP entitled Interlude Second. So did they carry on from where they've left us in Monolithe II? And the answer is a little happy two letter word: No!

Interlude Second is an almost drastic change of direction; while savoring some elements from their previous works the sound here mostly consists of long, repetitive, eerie passages based upon strange synth work, heavy and almost droning rhythms, and an ever pounding drum machine enhancing the inhuman feeling of the whole thing even further. And somewhere between those layers some of the most bizarre and almost chaotic leads, which appear dis-harmonizing and evoke a certain feeling of discomfort through the entire 34 minutes or so. And here the Blut Aus Nord comparison springs to mind, in fact the overall sound and atmosphere has a lot in common with some of Blut Aus Nord's work such as MoRT and 777 - The Desanctification and is almost weird and unsettling yet hypnotizing and beautiful in some twisted sort of way.

And so to conclude: if you're into strange sounding space inspired extreme stuff this will leave you more than pleased. If not, then you probably haven't read past the first paragraph and I can say whatever I want about you, assholes!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 10

Written by InnerSelf | 16.04.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
!J.O.O.E.!
Rating:
N/A
What a fascinating entity Monolithe have become. This recently emerged EP has perhaps brought them closer to the mystery that their name and artwork has always hinted at, that of the glorious existential imaginings of 2001: A Space Odyssey, than their (admittedly excellent) funeral doom incarnations of Monolithe I and Monolithe II. In fact it's safe to say they've exited the realms of doom altogether and transferred dimensions to a plateau of relatively structure-free mechanised, if not industrialised, landscaping.

Read more ››
published 14.03.2012 | Comments (82)

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 55 users
16.04.2012 - 21:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Not sure if you just called me an asshole or not but nice first (for here anyway) review =P
16.04.2012 - 21:42
Rating: 9
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 16.04.2012 at 21:35

Not sure if you just called me an asshole or not but nice first (for here anyway) review =P

I remember calling you that when you published your review
thanks for stopping by.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
16.04.2012 - 21:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 16.04.2012 at 21:42

I remember calling you that when you published your review