09. I'm Your God Now
10. Real Eyes, Realize, Real Lies
11. Block
12. Alan's On Fire [Poison Idea cover] [Japanese bonus]
13. Davidian [live] [Japanese bonus]
14. Hard Times [live] [Cro-Mags cover] [Japanese bonus]

Top 20 albums of 1994: 16

Additional info
Recorded at Fantasy Studios in Berkley, CA.
Mixed at Scream Studios in Studio City, CA.
Mastered at Future Disc, CA.

Guest review by
Passenger
Rating:
"1994... corruption, racism, hate. The church has failed... If Jesus came down, he'd be shot?"

This is the scenery, this is the reality. Welcome to the experience that visioning Thrash Metal through Machine Head's burned eyes is. Zenith of a relatively controversial fusion of conservative postures and modern approaches (which doesn't always have to mean alternative), I still get impressed of how successfully heavy and intense this album is, several years and listens later. During that time much has passed but its essence persists, which is, by itself, a fact that makes anything not recent interesting.

Read more ››
published 04.01.2005 | Comments (10)

Found in 35 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 41   Visited by: 974 users
17.04.2012 - 00:27
Lit.
Account deleted
The riff from Real Eyes, Realize, Real Lies just stays in your head first listen. Just adore the song for some odd reason.
"America has to go through some type of... radical change."
09.06.2012 - 04:29
Baz Anderson

Seeing as this band are the main headliner of Bloodstock this year, I thought I'd listen to this for the first time in many years... had to skip through most the tracks. I'm sure I used to like it more...
09.06.2012 - 06:52
Rating: 7
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
The only song I actively listen to these days is "Davidian", although I'm thinking maybe I should return to this properly and listen to the entire thing. It's been like four years since I actually sat through this in its entirety. Or three years, can't remember.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.06.2012 - 10:48
Rating: 8
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I like a lot and find AWESOME the moments that the band becomes "fast and furious" on this album but on their usual tempo i tend to find this one a bit boring. i like it's sound but probably it's not my style...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
23.07.2012 - 00:12
Rating: 10
blacktooth85

Best Machine Head album hands down. I know since "The Blackening" came out everyone has been saying that it's their best album. That might be the case if they never heard this album. In my opinion "Burn My Eyes" destroys "The Blackening", definitely faster and heavier. There are some songs that start off slower but then pick up; None But My Own, I'm Your God Now, and the amazing A Nation On Fire... Check it out.
25.07.2012 - 02:29
Rating: 9
I_Die_Often

DANM!
This disc is 18 years old now!
Still sounds great!!!!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
06.09.2012 - 19:18
Angry Chair

Its a great album but for me as the album goes on the songs get weaker. Don't get me wrong its still a great album.

Best songs are the First 3 for me:

Davidian (amazing song)
Old
A thousand lies

----
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot
17.11.2012 - 15:35
megadeath13
Account deleted
Excellent album. Machine Head gave a little bit Pantera and Sepultura to their sound and released a great modern sounding thrash release. Its their best album, so far.
04.01.2013 - 23:05
blacktooth85

Written by Angry Chair on 06.09.2012 at 19:18

Its a great album but for me as the album goes on the songs get weaker. Don't get me wrong its still a great album.

Davidian (amazing song)
Old
A thousand lies

Songs get weaker?? I'm not sure what you mean by that because songs like Block and Blood For Blood are some of the heaviest songs on the album. Even songs like A Nation on Fire and I'm Your God Now start off slow but pick up toward the end. It's chaos at the end of A Nation on Fire.
05.01.2013 - 04:10
Angry Chair

Written by blacktooth85 on 04.01.2013 at 23:05

Written by Angry Chair on 06.09.2012 at 19:18

Davidian (amazing song)
Old
A thousand lies

Songs get weaker?? I'm not sure what you mean by that because songs like Block and Blood For Blood are some of the heaviest songs on the album. Even songs like A Nation on Fire and I'm Your God Now start off slow but pick up toward the end. It's chaos at the end of A Nation on Fire.

yeah I wrote that a bit prematurely since then I have gotten into the album a lot more and I agree with you there. It turns out I was mistaken.
----
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot
03.04.2013 - 19:39
Metropolis_Dream
Account deleted
An almost flawless debut album. So many killer tracks here. Excellent Groovy thrash metal from start to finish.
28.08.2013 - 13:36
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Reality03 on 27.08.2013 at 17:50

BY FAR the best Machine Head album and many times better than "the Blackening". They never reached this high level again.

Disagree with that.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
28.08.2013 - 13:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ace Frawley on 28.08.2013 at 13:36

Written by Reality03 on 27.08.2013 at 17:50

BY FAR the best Machine Head album and many times better than "the Blackening". They never reached this high level again.

Disagree with that.

I TOTALLY agree with Realistic on this. Burn My Eyes is vastly superior to anything they did afterwards. The Blackening is decent, but nothing great when you compare it to this.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.08.2013 - 13:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I concur. Machine Head need to drop the wannabe-prog length songs and get back to basics.
28.08.2013 - 13:46
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Lads, we'll have to agree to disagree on this score. I'm outnumbered it seems.
----
28.08.2013 - 15:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 28.08.2013 at 13:41

I concur. Machine Head need to drop the wannabe-prog length songs and get back to basics.

Indeed, they suffer from the same illness as current day Exodus. Songs which are way too long for what they try to bring. Machine Head's biggest problem in that sense is that the band produces and mixes their own albums (mostly Robb Flynn) and they don't have a pair of outside ears to tell them to kill their darlings.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.08.2013 - 00:21
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.08.2013 at 15:46

Written by Guest on 28.08.2013 at 13:41

Indeed, they suffer from the same illness as current day Exodus. Songs which are way too long for what they try to bring. Machine Head's biggest problem in that sense is that the band produces and mixes their own albums (mostly Robb Flynn) and they don't have a pair of outside ears to tell them to kill their darlings.

Each to their own, I suppose. I like the longer songs for the most part, so it just comes down to personal preference. If you don't like that, then yes, I guess you could call it an illness that they are suffering from.
----
29.08.2013 - 01:12
Angelic Storm
Melodious
"The More Things Change" is the MH album I like best, although I love "Burn My Eyes" as well, it's a classic debut! I think "The Blackening" is a very good album, although it is a little overrated, and not as good as "Burn My Eyes". It's probably their 3rd best album though.
29.08.2013 - 03:09
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
I won't argue with Burn My Eyes being a classic debut and one that belongs on any respectable list of the great debut albums of all time.
----
29.08.2013 - 10:54
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Burn rules over every record they recorded.

At anytime, I'll pick "Burn My Eyes" over "The More Things Change..." on slabs of collectively more powerful, great songwriting and awesome production. Although, songs off "TMTC" were spectacular and catchy but overall, i'd find that record to be slightly shadowed by Burn.

For a fact, Supercharger and Unto The Locust was their biggest letdown. Dave should learn his faults from these albums.
29.08.2013 - 12:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 29.08.2013 at 10:54

Dave should learn his faults from these albums.

Dave? You surely mean Robb since Dave doesn't write too much music for the band.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.08.2013 - 14:35
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 29.08.2013 at 10:54
At anytime, I'll pick "Burn My Eyes" over "The More Things Change..." on slabs of collectively more powerful, great songwriting and awesome production. Although, songs off "TMTC" were spectacular and catchy but overall, i'd find that record to be slightly shadowed by Burn.

For a fact, Supercharger and Unto The Locust was their biggest letdown. Dave should learn his faults from these albums.

The reason why I slightly prefer "The More Things Change..." is it's a darker, more atmospheric album than the debut. I definitely see it as their most adventurous album, despite it not having as many lengthy songs as their last couple of efforts. It's more dynamic.

"Supercharger" is the worst MH album, but it wasn't really a let down, as the previous album "The Burning Red" wasn't that great, and definitely a come down from the first two albums which were amazing. "Unto The Locust" was a letdown, as "The Blackening" was their best album since TMTC by quite a margin. UTL is definitely not as weak an album as "Supercharger" was, but nonetheless, I definitely seen it as a step backwards after "The Blackening".

@Marcel: I was just about to say the same thing! Yep, I think Cynic meant to say Robb, unless he was talking about Dave Mustaine, but what does Dave Mustaine have to do with Machine Head?
29.08.2013 - 21:45
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Sorry for that blooper.

It's Robb not Dave.
30.08.2013 - 12:59
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
I've just listened to the album again and I have a newfound love of it. I concede you guys have a point about the shorter songs. They are definitely punchier that way. I still like their longer songs on later albums. Another thing about this album that I love is the production - it sounds great, especially the drums. I don't have their second album so I'm going to invest in that one next, as I know Angelic Storm has this as her personal Machine Head favourite.
----
30.08.2013 - 13:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ace Frawley on 30.08.2013 at 12:59

I don't have their second album so I'm going to invest in that one next, as I know Angelic Storm has this as her personal Machine Head favourite.

problem with their second album is that there is hardly any variation on it, it just steamrollers on. So, devoid of any dynamics.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.08.2013 - 14:03
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.08.2013 at 13:11
problem with their second album is that there is hardly any variation on it, it just steamrollers on. So, devoid of any dynamics.

Woah, I really couldn't disagree with you more... No variation? Devoid of any dynamics? I think we must be listening to 2 completely different albums... "Struck A Nerve" sounds nothing like "Blood Of The Zodiac", which sounds nothing like "Take My Scars".... etc.
31.08.2013 - 12:03
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Geezus H - been listening to this non-stop for the past few days and can't believe how much I love it now! Not sure what was wrong with me before. I rated this a 7 and now I'm rating it a 9. There isn't any filler here, so that makes it a very strong album, in my view. Damn, how much do I love Machine Head.
----
10.03.2014 - 20:41
Rating: 8
pkillerjp

Their best by really far, I can't stand the rest of their stuff. This is a really good modern grooving thrash album, but I find some of the songs linger in that build up phase a bit too long. There's a few really stand out tracks and a handful of good ones. Nice album, if they stuck with this sound, they'd be headlining more shows now, instead of being an opening act.
10.03.2014 - 22:55
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by pkillerjp on 10.03.2014 at 20:41

Nice album, if they stuck with this sound, they'd be headlining more shows now, instead of being an opening act.

What shows are you going to? I don't think MH opened for a band for years.
22.03.2014 - 01:10
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Guest on 10.03.2014 at 22:55

What shows are you going to? I don't think MH opened for a band for years.

And get got super pissed when they had to open for Limp Bizkit (of all bands) a couple years ago at a Euro fest.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

Hits total: 20908 | This month: 35