Metal Storm logo
Dream Theater - Begin Writing New Material

Iconic US progressive metallers Dream Theater's guitar player and founder John Petrucci announced via his personal Facebook that the band has started writing for their upcoming album and follow-up to 2011's A Dramatic Turn Of Events. The band will also be filming a DVD on their next North American tour, although no further details were yet disclosed.

John Petrucci posted the following message: "Writing for the next DT album officially commenced while in Osaka the other day. Jet lag seems to open up one's creative channels."

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Dream Theater
Posted: 26.04.2012 by kual21

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 22   Visited by: 216 users
26.04.2012 - 12:25
TemplarLS

That DVD will be one of their best! Can't wait to buy it, and can't wait for a new album in 2013! Best band in the world!
26.04.2012 - 12:48
Milena
gloom cookie
I'm a lot more excited about the DVD... Chaos In Motion was kinda lame, and it's been too long since the awesome Score.
----
7.0 means the album is good
26.04.2012 - 13:16
TemplarLS

Yea i hope it will be one show filmed DVD like awesome Score
26.04.2012 - 15:37
Unhealer
Eclecticist
At this rate DT will have more DVDs than relevant albums

I hope that the new Mike gets some fresh ideas to the writing processes now that he will be involved in it.
26.04.2012 - 15:41
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Unhealer on 26.04.2012 at 15:37

At this rate DT will have more DVDs than relevant albums

I hope that the new Mike gets some fresh ideas to the writing processes now that he will be involved in it.

I don't mind them having a lot of DVDs but ya, it would be good if the next album were a relevant one.

Actually, who am I kidding, my peaceful existence is now reliant on it being decent. Not that my existence is very peaceful but still.
----
26.04.2012 - 16:07
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Milena on 26.04.2012 at 15:41

Actually, who am I kidding, my peaceful existence is now reliant on it being decent.

But the DVDs won't be that good anymore if they keep adding mediocre songs to the setlists...
I just checked the latest ones and they are really unattractive, at least to me.

Girl, were you always this crazy over DT or did you become so obsessed lately?
26.04.2012 - 17:03
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Unhealer on 26.04.2012 at 16:07

Girl, were you always this crazy over DT or did you become so obsessed lately?

I've loved them for three years. I can't handle "defeat" all too well, so when the newest album came out, I was pretty devastated I can't go through it in one sitting because of how much I didn't like it. I've heard so-so albums from them before but this never happened to me. So for some reason I didn't play any DT at all until New Years' or so, and then I slowly started getting them into my "diet" again, and then... all the feelings

I love all my favorite bands ridiculously much, though. They just mean a lot to me.
----
26.04.2012 - 17:07
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Milena on 26.04.2012 at 17:03

I've loved them for three years. I can't handle "defeat" all too well, so when the newest album came out, I was pretty devastated I can't go through it in one sitting because of how much I didn't like it. I've heard so-so albums from them before but this never happened to me. So for some reason I didn't play any DT at all until New Years' or so, and then I slowly started getting them into my "diet" again, and then... all the feelings

I love all my favorite bands ridiculously much, though. They just mean a lot to me.

You will probably outgrow them soon? I had a friend who was a huge DT fanboy for 4-5 years, now he listens to reggae and ska

I can't believe that they are still releasing material, it will be cool if they surprise everyone and release something really good.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
26.04.2012 - 17:12
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Spirit Molecule on 26.04.2012 at 17:07

You will probably outgrow them soon? I had a friend who was a huge DT fanboy for 4-5 years, now he listens to reggae and ska

I can't believe that they are still releasing material, it will be cool if they surprise everyone and release something really good.

There's a chance I'll outgrow all my favorite bands of course, but I don't think so they aid me a lot in dealing with my demons, and since I'll never get rid of the demons, I'll always need those bands.

So John, if you're reading this, help me out here and write something better, okaythanksbye.
----
26.04.2012 - 18:13
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Whoooo....

*twirls his pointer finger around in the air and goes to listen to a Haken album*

Hark, what is that I hear? Portnoy's voice out of nowhere from far away saying 'ditch the zero, get with the hero'?

Jokes, all jokes ppl heh...
26.04.2012 - 18:23
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Guest on 26.04.2012 at 18:13

Whoooo....

*twirls his pointer finger around in the air and goes to listen to a Haken album*

Hark, what is that I hear? Portnoy's voice out of nowhere from far away saying 'ditch the zero, get with the hero'?

Jokes, all jokes ppl heh...

this gave me a chuckle.
----
26.04.2012 - 18:51
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Omg! Mora should be in a cloud 9.

and hell she spammed it.
26.04.2012 - 19:05
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
I'm not going to get overly excited about the next album, because of the last one. This could go either way. The DVD is interesting though. Apparently they've been doing short sets this tour but that would be disappointing on a DVD, so hopefully they'll film "An Evening With" or something similar. Would really like to see The Count of Tuscany.
26.04.2012 - 19:55
Unhealer
Eclecticist
On other news... Wes Borland called the prog metal giants "Cheese Theater" and described them as mathematicians and not musicians.
If you are interested in metal gossip read more here.

That was hilarious.
26.04.2012 - 21:03
Stabby
Account deleted
Maybe Portnoy was right and they should take longer breaks, it seems like they are forcing out albums every 2 years whether or not they're high quality. Lots of filler, lots of bland songs. Still some good ones but the last one was so average I have a hard time believing that starting to write a new one this soon is a good move. Did they suddenly become inspired? Seems unlikely, they may just be making a new album because it's what they do. But they're not a young band anymore and they may have stretched their sound as far as it will go.

I don't want to think that. I'll just enjoy the good parts of the album when it comes out.

at Borland. What a doucher.
26.04.2012 - 21:46
Fat & Sassy!

Perhaps there will be an almost unrecognizable performance of Surrounded on this DVD and James's singing will be so awful, that it'll sound like they're covering their own song! ^-^
26.04.2012 - 21:50
TemplarLS

Written by Azarath on 26.04.2012 at 19:05

I'm not going to get overly excited about the next album, because of the last one. This could go either way. The DVD is interesting though. Apparently they've been doing short sets this tour but that would be disappointing on a DVD, so hopefully they'll film "An Evening With" or something similar. Would really like to see The Count of Tuscany.

I think that last album was great! I mean for me, every album that DT made is masterpiece, i enjoy listening to every note of their songs no mather which album is! I'm realy exited about DVD just because of last album, i can't wait to hear Outcry, Breaking all illusions, Bridges in the sky and ofc really would like to see The count of tuscany, that would be great.
26.04.2012 - 22:55
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Azarath on 26.04.2012 at 19:05

They have announced several times they'd like to do An Evening With again on this very tour, so I think there's a high chance of that happening.
As for the The Count Of Tuscany:

(I wish I made that)
----
27.04.2012 - 18:52
strade

A think these guys should take a little break to rekindle their inspiration. They haven't made anything I've enjoyed in quite a while.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
28.04.2012 - 22:23
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by TemplarLS on 26.04.2012 at 21:50

I think that last album was great! I mean for me, every album that DT made is masterpiece, i enjoy listening to every note of their songs no mather which album is! I'm realy exited about DVD just because of last album, i can't wait to hear Outcry, Breaking all illusions, Bridges in the sky and ofc really would like to see The count of tuscany, that would be great.

Well not to pick a fight with you (no reason to, we're both DT fans) but don't you think it's a tad fanboy-ish to consider all their albums to be masterpieces? I'd say they have about 2-4 classics and the rest are inconsistent to various degrees. I'm curious to see how the new songs work live though, especially "Breaking All Illusions".

Written by Milena on 26.04.2012 at 22:55

They have announced several times they'd like to do An Evening With again on this very tour, so I think there's a high chance of that happening.
As for the The Count Of Tuscany: *moving picture* (I wish I made that)

Excellent news, thanks for confirming that. Beautiful pic as well, but why isn't the c(o)unt SUCKING ON HIS PIPE?

Scratch that, that was his brother.
29.04.2012 - 11:57
TemplarLS

Written by Azarath on 28.04.2012 at 22:23

Written by TemplarLS on 26.04.2012 at 21:50

Well not to pick a fight with you (no reason to, we're both DT fans) but don't you think it's a tad fanboy-ish to consider all their albums to be masterpieces? I'd say they have about 2-4 classics and the rest are inconsistent to various degrees. I'm curious to see how the new songs work live though, especially "Breaking All Illusions".

Written by Milena on 26.04.2012 at 22:55

As for the The Count Of Tuscany: *moving picture* (I wish I made that)

Excellent news, thanks for confirming that. Beautiful pic as well, but why isn't the c(o)unt SUCKING ON HIS PIPE?

Scratch that, that was his brother.

Check out this http://9gag.com/gag/3863753
03.05.2012 - 21:32
x-avier

I grew up listening DT. I remembered listening Awake and Images and Words been fascinated into these prog rock music. After Train on Thought, it has been a lack of HIGH TOP songs they have released that I'm so deeply disappointed. The count of tuscany is a jewel in the middle of so much chaos. But 90% of their new songs after TofT aren't songs that DT should have ever release. When Mike left I felt at the beggining that he was wrong and he commite a mistake. But guys please, the past 15 years they have released an album each 2 years. That's just to much. I feel so bad sometimes because there are songs that actually have become part of my life, but they need a 5 year brake analize their music their style their feelings approaches, bring MP back and start all over again. That's MY opinion. and guys I love DT, but sometimes is not just about love.

Hits total: 6022 | This month: 3