Metal Storm logo
Musician/Song Who/Which inspired you to pick up an instrument

Original post

Posted by , 05.11.2006 - 04:47
Testament - Return to Serenity, the first time i heard this song, i was in a trance for a while and then played it again, i knew instantly that i wanted to play this song, loved the rythms so thought Ryhtms it should be, finally today i play the bass, but then this song really pushed me to pick up the instrument and im glad i did. The simplicity of the song is what attracted me the most and at the same time the complexitiy of the structure it offered and made it a challenge.
18.04.2007 - 07:03
EverDreamer509
Account deleted
Jimmy Page & Led Zeppelin really got me started on guitar...
18.04.2007 - 21:35
Hatebreeder_509
Account deleted
when i was like five i saw my uncle playing guitar.... and i got my first guitar at five.... i strummed on that but i didnt seriously begin playing untill about 3 years ago
21.04.2007 - 08:53
EverDreamer509
Account deleted
Oh yah I would say System of a Down & Daron Malakian...also got me into guitar
02.06.2007 - 01:27
Im_Haunted
Account deleted
The guitar in my music room at school always looked nice so one day i picked it up and it felt right! I have now been playing for 4 years and the one album that got me really going was "Piece of mind" by Iron Maiden.
13.06.2007 - 02:18
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
suprisingly, Mick Thompson.... the funny thing was, my first guitar was my bc rich warlock... but, i had never seen a video for slipknot before i got my guitar... when i did get it, later on i found out he used them, and even edorsed one... trippy... but yeah, slipknots style, and mick thompsons shredability is what got me into playing... since then, many other influences have drifted me apart from him as my inspiration for continued playing, but i will always remember the first few songs i learned how to play, consisting of slipknot and marilyn manson..... pretty easy shit to get started with.
18.06.2007 - 23:50
NECURATU

Cliff Burton dog damn it. If whatever we do, we'd do it with half his dedication and skill this world would be perfect.
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
20.06.2007 - 23:06
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
according to me the best musican ever is Tuomas Holopainen and the best song is Ghost Love Score...so the keyboard was my choice :-)
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

25.07.2007 - 00:11
Amethyst
Account deleted
Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull) and my father made me feel flute was for me. My father also told me when I was a little girl that it wolud be nice for me to play the piano, and since then i've been studying and it's one of the most important things in my life.
30.07.2007 - 15:07
Skeggjadr
Account deleted
I used to listen to whatever was on the radio and then one day I heard Smells Like Teen Spirit. I remember the impact it had cos I'd never heard music like that before. Haha I guess it was like the first time I heard Kataklysm... at that time, for me, it was the heaviest most brutal thing I had ever heard. I knew right then that I wanted to listen to guitar music and play guitar. Also me dad's been playing since he was 15 (40 years) so that might have inspired me too... just a bit.
02.08.2007 - 11:12
Meuterei
Account deleted
Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath. Hell, almost everything I played when I was first learning was from Paranoid.
04.08.2007 - 17:25
kennysimpson
Account deleted
i didnt relly lyk metal when i started playing guitar lol
i just started it becaues i had no hobbies LOL
then eventually i stareted listenin to metal
and dimebag darrell was the guy who inspired me
still is!
PANTERA!!!!
lol
20.08.2007 - 18:36
BlackMin
Account deleted
Thers many guitarist which got me playing guitar and have inspired me in my own guitar playing, but here's the top3: Chuck, Dimebag, Petrucci
26.08.2007 - 22:28
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Many bands an musicians, almost all that I listen... Currently Steve DiGiorgio reall insires me to play fretless bass, but I dont have enough money to buy bass and bass amp... But I will someday!!!
----
01.09.2007 - 21:10
Carrion
Account deleted
Lars Ulrich got me to the drums, and Dave Lombardo inspired me keeping it up, and still does.
07.09.2007 - 22:47
Too many fail.

Frank Zappa keeps me inspired, he was the most accomplished musician in my opinion. The guy devoted pretty much all his life to music of all kinds and ended up making over 50 albums in pretty much everymusical style. Plus his social satire and sense of humor made him the only musician whose lyrics I've ever been interested in. Highly recommended to anyone who likes music for the sake of music rather than style.
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
11.12.2007 - 13:17
RockeRoy

early on it was Metallica and pantera and i guess ac/dc
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
11.12.2007 - 15:07
duyhung
Account deleted
I was inspired to play the drums by Mike Portnoy
11.12.2007 - 21:46
Sunioj

Tony Choy is my obsession for the past half year. Even though I don't think he is the most insane bassist, his style of playing is my favored one. Passionate, well coordinated chords, and sometimes leading the music in certain passage just when its appropriate.
19.12.2007 - 08:36
Torture Killer
Account deleted
When i was like 12 my brother gave a guitar pick with an AC/DC logo on it that he found at school and i sat there and held it for like two hours then my dad asked me what i wanted for christmas and i said "A guitar", not actually thinking i would get one cause we didn't have a lot of money and i figured it was the equivalent of asking for a pony and sure enough christmas came along and i got a guitar, but it sat in my room for like three months until i was like 'my dad spent a lot of money we don't have on this guitar so the least I could do is learn something on it'. so i did and just fell in love with playing guitar, and as a little side note before that i wanted to be a lead singer like paul stanley.
19.12.2007 - 09:03
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
when i first started playing guitar metallica were my heroes, my fav band and so kirk was my inspiration
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
04.01.2008 - 18:38
torniojaws

Tony Iommi and Dino Cazares, together. That's where it started for me back in '97
----
Vortech - New album out! VortechMusic.com Industrial Death Metal
31.01.2008 - 07:33
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Phil Anselmo and Darkthrone. Latest inspirations have been the work of Nattefrost in Carpathian Forest and his solo project.
18.03.2008 - 22:30
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Micahel Weikath, he is the gratest guitarist for me, since the day i listened a tale that wasn't right i pick my guitar again and from that day i never stop! =)
19.03.2008 - 03:51
JESTER576
Account deleted
I picked up bass because I wanted to b like Steve Harris.
20.03.2008 - 14:39
Hangar XVIII

Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song initially. Other big influences were Hells Bells by AC/DC and Born To Be Wild by Steppenwolf.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
22.03.2008 - 21:12
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I would say that Children of Bodom did it for me, there first time i started listenning to them ( almost 3 years ago) i knew almost immediately that i wanted to pick up the guitar, ever since then it's been my passion. I have to say Alexi Laiho's solos gave me ear orgasms, now these days the bands that inspire me and that i listen to alot are the tech. death ones such as Necrophagist, Decapitated (rip Vitek), Martyr, Spawn of Possession, etc
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
25.03.2008 - 15:28
Nox Lux
codebreaker
Let's split this into techniques, as I go on the long road towards Nostalgia:

Presidents of the United States of America inspired me cos they were shit and their instruments were shit.
Kurt Cobain because he made it look so easy.....and it was easy.
Green Day's Billy Joel made me think about palm muting and general right hand control more, as well as the importance of making the most out of barchords.
James Hetfield and Kirk Hammet inspired me to try thrash riffs. Any speed picking, alternate picking and all round thrashing I do now is completely thanks to them.
Jason Hager ex-guitarist from Chimaira took the whole deal with right hand control and rythmic chugging to another level for me [Meshuggah weren't big then and I didn't like them anyway]
Naturally the same goes with Dino Cazares from Fear Factory.
Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman taught me that if I couldn't sweep pick there was other stuff I could do - tapping and shredding.
----
][{ ]|/ ][_ "][" -- ][3) ][_ /=|[ [( ][{ -- ][][][ |E[ "][" ]|= ][_

"Thoughts fall in season with the right stand, rake the land
This Autumn's early leafshed a recompense for Summer's wane."
~ Nox Lux
03.04.2008 - 00:14
doomina
Account deleted
Josh Homme, Kyuss fuckin' ruled
23.04.2008 - 13:57
NuclearRedneck
Account deleted
I was on laying on my floor listening to "Machine Gun" by Jimi Hendrix and left to go get my first acoustic guitar. I was learning and sounding terrible, and I became obsessed with getting better when I heard "Surfing With The Alien" by Joe Satriani.