03. III: Death Dimension Phantasma
04. The Monolith
05. An Extension Of His Arm And Will
06. Bring Out Your Dead
07. Come Perdition
08. Invoc(H)ate
09. The Dying Flame Of Existence
10. Tired Bones [digipak bonus]

This is one of those albums that just won't give the person listening to it a strong opinion. Like the Herman Cain of black metal albums. It sounds sorta cool?everyone loves Godfather's?but nothing it says (about BM) is interesting. At all.

It's almost got a cynical feel to it. Like they know what they're playing is anodyne, but they know that anodyne sells pretty well. People buy the facade of extremity just as much (if not a lot more) than actual extremity when it comes to music. Or at least that's the way it seems.

None of that is to say that this doesn't sound decent, though. There are, like with Vittra and Pariah, a lot of great riffs and evil-sounding melodies here. Occasionally you'll be able to really feel the malice of the vocals and the angry buzz of the hate-filled riffs, which, if taking a track at face value, is sometimes all that's needed to be enjoyable.

It's just that it's heard it before kind of stuff in the end. It doesn't push any boundaries--seems like they didn't even try. Just like with their previous albums. Not that that's a bad thing; a lot of times it isn't for me. This is full of fairly simple, zone-out, malevolent-sounding, slickly produced tunes. If that's all you want, you'll get enough from this release. But if that kind of black metal is boring to you, you probably won't.

Written on 26.04.2012 by Wormdrink's real name is George and he's an American.

Comments

Comments: 19   Visited by: 188 users
26.04.2012 - 19:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
And now wait for all the pissed off fanboys to come out of the woodwork and whine about the rating.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.04.2012 - 19:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.04.2012 at 19:10

And now wait for all the pissed off fanboys to come out of the woodwork and whine about the rating.

But Solemn23 already tucked his tail between his legs and ran
26.04.2012 - 19:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 26.04.2012 at 19:15

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.04.2012 at 19:10

But Solemn23 already tucked his tail between his legs and ran

Unfortunately there are more fanboys of this band around. Jut look at how apeshite they went over their previous releases.

And how this band still qualifies as orthodox bm to Solemn23 is still beyond me.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.04.2012 - 19:43
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Naglfar was the band that made me disregard MS user ratings as a whole, and probably the root cause of my jihad against rating abusers (moreso the 9.85 avg vote types than tankers)... got Sheol because everything they had released was rated over a 9 at the time.

loved it first couple listens through, then by four, was just meh. uninteresting and uninspiring.

after checking out a few clips from others, more of the same... and i imagine this would be just MORE more of the same.

but hey, people go apeshit over it, so no need to change anything up.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
26.04.2012 - 19:54
sabotender

I'm a fan of them, but willingly admit that they aren't ever going to release anything above a 7.0. I liked Harvest and Pariah more than this album simply for the fact that their ideas and execution were on the same plane. Now it seems like the execution/presentation is there, but their ideas are running dry. 5 years to write new stuff and the best track "An Extension of His Arm and Will" is too derivative of "The Murder Manifesto"; a song that I considered no more than mediocre on Pariah.

This is a good grade for the album... and the band.
----
Death is but the Beginning.
26.04.2012 - 21:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
This band hasn't been relevant since their debut in my opinion. One good release in an otherwise sea of mediocrity. I have no idea why they have fanboys in the first place...

Well, to be honest, it's actually because of Vittra. :/

Perfectly accurate rating and description in spite of the fact I haven't listened to it myself. I just know it's going to be more of the same though...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.04.2012 - 00:22
Grody2themax

Quote:

It's almost got a cynical feel to it. Like they know what they're playing is anodyne, but they know that anodyne sells pretty well. People buy the facade of extremity just as much (if not a lot more) than actual extremity when it comes to music. Or at least that's the way it seems.

Ridiculously subjective. You're saying the band is playing black metal because they know it will sell well? Kinda putting words into their mouth lol.
27.04.2012 - 01:59
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

I see what you did there.

Anyway, Based on this, I'm going to pass on this.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
27.04.2012 - 02:47
Mongoose2557
Account deleted
This album was as average as you can get in my opinion. I like Naglfar and all but only about 2 songs stood out to me, and they weren't even that good. I don't hate it but I don't love it either. If I can say something positive about the album, it's that at least Naglfar knows what they do and they stick to it. Which I don't see as too much of a bad thing. There is always a large portion of people that think bands should evolve and explore outwards musically, and there is an even larger portion that thinks if a new release from a band is in anyway different then their last few releases, its garbage and they sold out. I really don't care about either as long as the released product is good and enjoyable. This album was just good and mildly enjoyable to me. Nothing more.
27.04.2012 - 15:40
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
I really liked An Extension Of His Arm And Will when they had it streaming before the album got released. Then when I listened to the album as a whole it all just blended together and other than that one song none of the songs really stood out to me. I haven't heard any other Naglfar albums to compare it to though.
29.04.2012 - 20:59
Rating: 6
Dani5050

I kind of agree with the rating although I will give it a 7, for some reason I didn't like your review don't know maybe the way its written its a boring album that's for sure.
30.04.2012 - 13:31
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Grody2themax on 27.04.2012 at 00:22

Ridiculously subjective. You're saying the band is playing black metal because they know it will sell well? Kinda putting words into their mouth lol.

Every review is subjective. Get it through your head, or stop reading reviews
03.05.2012 - 05:45
Grody2themax

Written by Daniell on 30.04.2012 at 13:31

Written by Grody2themax on 27.04.2012 at 00:22

Every review is subjective. Get it through your head, or stop reading reviews

Subjectivity is fine if it has substance other than assumption to it. No hate on reviews, but I'd rather hear a bit more musical dissection/analysis to some of them.
03.05.2012 - 09:02
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Grody2themax on 03.05.2012 at 05:45

Subjectivity is fine if it has substance other than assumption to it. No hate on reviews, but I'd rather hear a bit more musical dissection/analysis to some of them.

when a band releases yet another album that's completely identical to the previous 4, there is no need for the dissertation of music in my opinion. It won't increase the rating either, so what's the point.
17.08.2012 - 20:36
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
It pains me knowing that Vargher is part of this group
07.05.2014 - 10:35
Rating: 8
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Really average album i agree with the review. too bad for them. the more of their works i listen to the harder i find to understand why i found "Pariah" astonishing when i first listened to it..
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
31.12.2018 - 00:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Alex F on 17.08.2012 at 20:36

It pains me knowing that Vargher is part of this group

what?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.01.2019 - 03:10
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Bad English on 31.12.2018 at 00:37

what?

Because all of his other projects are great but Naglfar is fuckin boring.
14.01.2019 - 16:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Alex F on 14.01.2019 at 03:10

Written by Bad English on 31.12.2018 at 00:37

what?

Because all of his other projects are great but Naglfar is fuckin boring.

Bulshit
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 6183 | This month: 9