05. Out!
06. Song For You [feat. John Payne]
07. Together
08. The Power Of Love
09. Words Unleashed
10. Emocean
11. Emocean [feat. Oliver Hartmann]
12. Song For You [acoustic version] [bonus]

Between us, you don't actually have to read this review; saying that this CD is simply beautiful is actually enough information, but if you want to know more then go ahead

The wait was a long and impatient one, but here it is, the new Lunatica album. While the last two albums were "fresh" but still rather basic, unoriginal powermetal, this one is more mature and has more of a personal approach. The main ingredient is still very melodic powermetal, but it's not the only one anymore. Here we also have a lot of rock (for example on Out!) and pop (for example on Who You Are) elements. This isn't a bad thing though. It took me two listens until I could get into this not-so-metal album, but that is exactly what makes me love it now. The Edge Of Infinity is an extremely refreshing CD for when you get tired of aggressive riffing and thundering drumming for a moment and need an easy listening album. Yet it's more than only that.

Although it begins with a rhetorical intro asking what "infinity" means to you, the album doesn't really follow any lyrical topic. The first album was about Atlantis and the second about a book called Fables And Dreams, but it seems like Lunatica doesn't want to follow the path of a concept album anymore.

Musically this album isn't extremely technical, nor is it as epic as the previous Fables & Dreams. Yet it's not very simple either and it is extremely enjoyable to listen to. It's very melodic and easy to listen. The music is many-sided and rich in variation. Especially the vocals really shine on this CD. Despite not sounding extremely trained the vocals are very varied and although the vocalist sings in a lot of different styles on this album she always sounds good, enjoyable and pretty. We also got a lot of supporting male vocals here. Although not at all special on their own, they contribute to the music very positively. There is also a guest appearance done by Oliver Hartmann (At Vance) and by Dieter Meier, famous for the electro-pop band Yello and also one by John Payne.

So all in all The Edge Of Infinity might surely not be a very "pure" metal album but it does bring a fresh wind into the metal scene. Lunatica went from good but very uninspired powermetal to very good and variated music with a personal stamp on it. I hope they will continue this path and already now I can't wait for their next release.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 10

Written by Bas | 04.11.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 75 users
05.11.2006 - 05:33
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Wow, what a rating, well i must hear it then, good review bas, ill be sure to check this album out soon!
05.11.2006 - 18:20
Stigmatized
A good album. I was suprised how much I liked her vocals. The music was also very catchy, which never hurt. Good review Bas, as always!
19.11.2006 - 19:59
Rating: 9
Ivan
Retired Admin
This is indeed a great album and truly deserves such a high rating. The vocals are highly enjoyable, the songwriting is excellent and the the guitars are a lot better than you would expect (especially in Sons Of The Wind!). Overall, this band is probably the best discovery I made this year
26.01.2007 - 17:12
Rating: 10
Arrwyn

I agree strongly with the high rating. It's different from other Lunatica material, but at the same time, it's still just as enjoyable. And, her voice seems to flow with the music much more in this album than with Fables and Dreams and Atlantis.
09.04.2009 - 19:40
Abattoir

I like this one pretty much. The vocals sound amazing, guitars and keys are also very catchy. Honestly, I've found this album only few days ago and I'm realy impressed with these first listenings.
07.08.2011 - 20:03
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
"Simply beautiful" is pretty much what this album is. This is how soft, easy-on-the-ears metal should be done. Nobody can hate this album, unless they absolutely cannot stomach great melodies. I just wish the follow-up hadn't been such a disappointment.

Hits total: 8312 | This month: 5