Metal Storm logo
USA, Portland, OR - Behemoth + Watain: The Decibel Magazine Tour 2012

Event: Behemoth + Watain: The Decibel Magazine Tour 2012
Written by: wormdrink414
Published: 26.04.2012

Galleries:

USA, Portland, OR - Behemoth + Watain: The Decibel Magazine Tour 2012 by wormdrink414 (25)

Just a quick preface note here: If you can get to any of the shows left on this tour, go. Call in sick to your job, cut class, tell your kids to go fuck themselves, whatever. Just get to it. It was far and away the most varied and entertaining show I've been to in a while.

Stoneburner

Kicking things off was a local stoner metal group that's pretty fucking good. Or so I was told, missed their entire set.

In Solitude

The second band up, In Solitude, plays traditional-sounding heavy metal. And they shredded shit up. Having checked out their latest studio effort, it seems safe enough to say that this is a band that's meant to be seen live. Lots of energy, lots of passion, even if their tunes are a bit on the iffy side.

The Devil's Blood

Even though I only had a few beers in me, The Devil's Blood immediately made me mistake their effect for that of a few bowls. Their show? All very THC. They kicked off with a pretty thick and fast song, one that quickly dissolved into some dreamy number. Made me very meditative-feeling. And even though the whole business of relaxing generally rubs me the wrong way, it was welcomed after the high-energy fist-poundingness of In Solitude and in preparation for the onslaught Watain unleashed shortly after. These guys/gal are, to put it as simply as possible, fucking talented.

Watain

Hard to pay much attention when your shit is getting wrecked so viciously. If you want an idea of viciously, go listen to Lawless Darkness.

Listening to it yet? Good. Now imagine it louder and MORE VICIOUS.

By the time they stopped playing, it was pretty hard to imagine Behemoth one-upping them.

Behemoth

They did, though. Right when the (crippled and slippery) crowd thought the brutal/evil factor had peaked, Behemoth took the stage and proceeded to give us an hour or so of total fucking mind-blow.

Not sure if it was because of how beat-up the crowd was after Watain, or if it was because of the mesmerizing fog and lights, but the pits that had been tornado-ing shortly before they took the stage mostly subsided, replaced by total attentiveness from the crowd. In a good way. The show they put on was as brilliantly and fantastically theatrical as it was savage.

It made sense that, even though they play close to the opposite style of metal than Agalloch, John Haughm would be there standing behind me* watching their set. Perfect amount of brutal, perfect amount of fog, light beams, and props, and perfect amount of Inferno murdering his kit.

They closed out with a couple fan-favorite tracks while Nergal wore his trademark Batman-head-stuck-in-an-elevator mask, everyone seemed to leave happy. The small group I was with definitely did. Easily the best show I've been to in a while. Don't miss the other dates if you can.

All photos courtesy of Alex Holdaway

*Not accusing the man of committing a heinous crime or anything... but seeing as my prized battle-worn Clutch hat was lifted from my back pocket during the Behemoth set, John Haughm** will currently be under close surveillance in suspicion of stealing my head-piece.

** Just saying, keep an eye on this guy.

Written on 26.04.2012 by Wormdrink's real name is George and he's an American.

Comments

Comments: 30   Visited by: 140 users
28.04.2012 - 03:15
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Great review. I like the short 'n sweet take on it. Also lol on the John Haughm tidbit.
28.04.2012 - 20:37
Nergal Is God
Account deleted
Nice man. I definitely wanted to see this tour, but couldn't get to Columbus for it. What did Behemoth play?
29.04.2012 - 02:41
wormdrink414

Written by Guest on 28.04.2012 at 20:37

Nice man. I definitely wanted to see this tour, but couldn't get to Columbus for it. What did Behemoth play?

I remember a few tracks off Evangelion, At The Left Hand, Demigod, Slaves shall serve, and a few tracks I'm assuming are new.
29.04.2012 - 16:22
D.T. Metal

Nice !!
and to add, it was extremely hot in the venue, holy crap. The drummer from In Solitude passed out right after their set; but somehow the other bands thrived in that musky, hot air.
29.04.2012 - 22:46
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Too much evil in one place! Good review/pics.
----
The force will be with you, always.
29.04.2012 - 22:57
wormdrink414

Written by D.T. Metal on 29.04.2012 at 16:22

and to add, it was extremely hot in the venue, holy crap. The drummer from In Solitude passed out right after their set; but somehow the other bands thrived in that musky, hot air.

Yeah that's a pretty big problem with the Hawthorne. Worst thing is, if you're too young to go into the bar for the patio area there, your only option for fresh air is to leave the club. No reentries too. Spent many nights there slowly choking to death on metal smog.
30.04.2012 - 02:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
This was one of the best gig/concert reviews I've read on the site. Would love for you to publish more.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.04.2012 - 19:09
Susan
Smeghead
Do you remember if Watain mostly played songs from Lawless Darkness? They're coming to Knoxville in a few days without Behemoth, so I'm sure the show will be a bit different, but I'm still trying to guess how best to get pumped. I hadn't been keeping up with Watain like I should have so I'm thankful they're coming to town to remind me how awesome they are. And this review made me even more excited, if that was possible.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
01.05.2012 - 01:21
wormdrink414

Written by Susan on 30.04.2012 at 19:09

Do you remember if Watain mostly played songs from Lawless Darkness? They're coming to Knoxville in a few days without Behemoth, so I'm sure the show will be a bit different, but I'm still trying to guess how best to get pumped. I hadn't been keeping up with Watain like I should have so I'm thankful they're coming to town to remind me how awesome they are. And this review made me even more excited, if that was possible.

Pretty much exclusively off Lawless if memory serves. Might have been a couple older songs, but I don't know their older material as well, don't remember the specifics. Definitely remember Malfeitor, Total Funeral, and going slightly apeshit to Reaping Death. Binged in the bar while they were setting up, was pretty much an evil blur of sounds/the bassist looking brutal to me in the end (like a really enjoyable evil blur).
01.05.2012 - 02:05
Susan
Smeghead
Written by wormdrink414 on 01.05.2012 at 01:21
Binged in the bar while they were setting up, was pretty much an evil blur of sounds/the bassist looking brutal to me in the end (like a really enjoyable evil blur).

----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
01.05.2012 - 12:57
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

I'm not an expert on their other albums but some songs I know are well known from their album Casus Luciferi which they seem to play most of the time are Devil's Blood and maybe I Am The Earth (or you can listen to the entire album as well since it's awesome xD).
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.05.2012 - 07:57
scaesura

To go with what the poster said, they also closed with Waters of Ain in Denver. So.
05.05.2012 - 17:01
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Who the hell would put In Solitude and The Devil's Blood as support bands for Watain and Behemoth?? way too huge transition in brutality between the first two bands and the last two.

I would have probably left after TDB
06.05.2012 - 15:26
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Valentin B on 05.05.2012 at 17:01

Who the hell would put In Solitude and The Devil's Blood as support bands for Watain and Behemoth?? way too huge transition in brutality between the first two bands and the last two.

Well I can understand TDB. It seems like a lot of BM fans dig that band, consdering that TDB is as satanic as Watain hehehe. I would have watched the entire thing though.
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.05.2012 - 15:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.05.2012 at 15:26

Well I can understand TDB. It seems like a lot of BM fans dig that band, consdering that TDB is as satanic as Watain hehehe. I would have watched the entire thing though.

TDB and In Solitude are both part of the same booking agency (Bidi Bookings) and Bidid Bookingg has close contacts with Watain. What I find more surprising is that Behemoth is on that same bill. Esdpcially considering how terribly average everything after Zos Kia Cultus was by them.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.05.2012 - 15:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
And of course TDB's Selim and Watain are good friends, Selim played some guest parts on Lawless Darkness
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.05.2012 - 15:31
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.05.2012 at 15:26

what? why is that? if their lyrics were not satanic/whatever the band would basically be a stoner version of Blue Oyster Cult, totally harmless stuff
06.05.2012 - 15:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Valentin B on 06.05.2012 at 15:31

what? why is that? if their lyrics were not satanic/whatever the band would basically be a stoner version of Blue Oyster Cult, totally harmless stuff

nothing stoner about TDB
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.05.2012 - 15:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.05.2012 at 15:30
Selim played some guest parts on Lawless Darkness

Huh really? Didn't know about that. Do you know exactly what he did?
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.05.2012 - 15:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.05.2012 at 15:35

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.05.2012 at 15:30
Selim played some guest parts on Lawless Darkness

Huh really? Didn't know about that. Do you know exactly what he did?

If you had bought the cd instead of having downloaded it you would know what exactly

Selim Lamouchi did the solos on Waters Of Ain and Lawless Darkness
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.05.2012 - 15:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.05.2012 at 15:37

If you had bought the cd instead of having downloaded it you would know what exactly

Selim Lamouchi did the solos on Waters Of Ain and Lawless Darkness

I own the digipak version. I'm just too lazy to check it out. Nice stuff though, specially the solo of Waters Of Ain.
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.05.2012 - 15:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Btw it is clear that Selim also played as live msuician for Watain on this tour. Just look at the photo gallery
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.05.2012 - 15:54
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.05.2012 at 15:50

Btw it is clear that Selim also played as live msuician for Watain on this tour. Just look at the photo gallery

Is he the guy on the left on the fifth pic? I also see the chilean bassist is there with his mean as hell face

EDIT: Oops, Forgot to check the other gallery, yeah it's him.
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.05.2012 - 18:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.05.2012 at 15:54

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.05.2012 at 15:50

Is he the guy on the left on the fifth pic? I also see the chilean bassist is there with his mean as hell face

EDIT: Oops, Forgot to check the other gallery, yeah it's him.

Selim is the guy with the Watain trident painted on his chest during the Watain gig

The Chilean bass player has been their regular live bass player for quite a few years now. But the guy is big, especially compared to tiny Erik
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.05.2012 - 21:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.05.2012 at 18:21

The Chilean bass player has been their regular live bass player for quite a few years now. But the guy is big, especially compared to tiny Erik

I wonder how tiny he is. I suppose as tall as me?
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.05.2012 - 21:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.05.2012 at 21:02

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.05.2012 at 18:21

I wonder how tiny he is. I suppose as tall as me?

Smaller and way skinnier, Porbably your sister's height, or maybe a tiny bit taller
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.05.2012 - 21:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.05.2012 at 21:03

Smaller and way skinnier, Porbably your sister's height, or maybe a tiny bit taller

Hhahahah the mental image is hilarious. I guess he's still taller than the dude from Abruptum. Now that guy is also a friggin midget.
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.05.2012 - 21:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.05.2012 at 21:08

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.05.2012 at 21:03

Hhahahah the mental image is hilarious. I guess he's still taller than the dude from Abruptum. Now that guy is also a friggin midget.

That guy actually isn't that small at all. He is about your height. Somehow urban myth/legend makes him out to be smaller than he really is.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.05.2012 - 21:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.05.2012 at 21:12

That guy actually isn't that small at all. He is about your height. Somehow urban myth/legend makes him out to be smaller than he really is.

Really? I heard he was like around 150cm or something. Urban myths are crazy.
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.05.2012 - 21:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.05.2012 at 21:23

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.05.2012 at 21:12

Really? I heard he was like around 150cm or something. Urban myths are crazy.

he was/is actually aroun 1.70, which is of course still small, but not tiny.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 8248 | This month: 7