03. Crusaders Of Death
04. On The Run
05. Watch Them Die
06. Second Assault
07. Spirit
08. Things I've Seen
09. Hard Bargain
10. Thunderflight

Now here's one for fans of bands like Graveyard and Witchcraft. Something maybe some of us would consider stoner rock, it's essentially just super-groovy, blues-based 70's style rock.

There's a touch of everything here, actually. Distinct traces of Hendrix, more than a few traces of Black Sabbath, and those lovable Thin Lizzy guitarmonies. Yup, there's some wailing vocals that float nicely over top, but surprise, surprise! Second Assault is an album built entirely around great nostalgic guitar work. It's all about the riffs. Always about the riffs.

Now, before we all start shitting ourselves in excitement, let's take a step back and compare this to another 70's nostalgia-soaked band of Swede's out there: Graveyard. Now, it may seem a little unfair to compare Horisont to a band that has been almost unanimously voted as being awesome, but they really set the standard on how to do a throwback album right. While a band like Graveyard plays with a great range steeped in particularly obvious influences from the 70's, the sound is still their own. Horisont, on the other hand, don't seem as adept at melding this sound into their own thing. It sounds like a band showing us their Hendrix, then showing us their 'Sabbath, and so on. There's not a whole lot of cross-declination or reinventing going on. One segment or song sounds like band A, the next sounds like artist B.

Understandably, all these distinctions probably sound pretty vague without hearing the album for yourselves, so instead of continuing to try and dance around the point, we'll just wrap it up like this: Second Assault is another album that is a good enough listen, but lacks it's own character beyond being a nostalgia album.

Written on 27.04.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 85 users
28.04.2012 - 06:25
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Sabbath and Hendrix?

Count me in.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
28.04.2012 - 08:30
Dylan

Love witchcraft, ill check this out
28.04.2012 - 11:24
eponymous

I do love Witchcraft, and I like Graveyard, but this is all rather vague. Ah well, best to hear for myself.
29.04.2012 - 00:58
Metal_Buff

They are also Swedes like Graveyard and Witchcraft... I worship Hisingen Blues, so the bar is set high, but this has more than intrigued me and will be a definite pickup!
25.05.2012 - 20:33
Rating: 10
Doh

Absolutely fantastic band, their first album is amazing as well. I only wish all their songs would be in Swedish.

Hits total: 5340 | This month: 3