Metal Storm logo
Slayer - Jeff Hanneman Still Recovering From Spider Bite

Holy fuck balls! We know Slayer's Jeff Hanneman went through some serious shit when a spider bit him last year and he had to battle through the Slayer song-title sounding Necrotizing Fasciitis. Seems it was far worse than the band let on.

From Slayer.net:

Slayer fans everywhere - it's time to let you know what is going on with our brother Jeff Hanneman.

As you know, Jeff was bitten by a spider more than a year ago, but what you may not have known was that for a couple of days after he went to the ER, things were touch-and-go. There was talk that he might have to have his arm amputated, and we didn't know if he was going to pull through at all. He was in a medically-induced coma for a few days and had several operations to remove the dead and dying tissue from his arm. So, understand, he was in really, really bad shape. It's been about a year since he got out of the hospital, and since then, he had to learn to walk again, he's had several painful skin grafts, he's been in rehab doing exercises to regain the strength in his arm; but best of all, he's been playing guitar. We were all excited when he joined us onstage for the encore a year ago at The Big Four show at Coachella. Since then, we've given him all the time and support he's needed to continue his rehab so he can come back to the band fully recovered and able to deliver the kind of shows we all want him to. While Jeff's been doing some writing and has been coming to rehearsal over the past several weeks, he has decided he needs to take more time to continue his rehab. While we want him back onstage with the band, all of us support his decision. So, we're very grateful that Gary Holt will continue to fill in for Jeff, and will tour with us until Jeff completes his rehab and is ready to return. How long will that be? The best and most honest answer we can give you is 'as long as it takes.' We also wanted you to know that we've been doing some writing and recording for the next Slayer album - we've tracked a few songs, and will finish the album when we're off the road later this year. Gary will join us on tour in Europe and the UK in May and June, and then we'll all see you on this Summer's Mayhem Festival.

Thanks to Gary "Exodus" Holt for filling in, and best of luck to Jeff with his continued recovery. Take your time and get strong.

\m/

p.s. - Fuck spiders. And bugs in general.

Source: slayer.net
Band profile: Slayer
Posted: 01.05.2012 by BitterCOld

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 35   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 390 users
01.05.2012 - 22:29
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I didn't know about this
Good he's getting better again.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
01.05.2012 - 22:50
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Hmm I really have trouble with ppl who talk shit about spiders, ravens and owls, slayer is one of my fav bands :-/ at the same I felt sorry for Jeff.
01.05.2012 - 22:56
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
JEEZ, that musta been one fuck of a spider bite to necessitate the use of a medically induced coma. Gaddamn

all the best, speedy recovery, etc.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
01.05.2012 - 23:01
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
Written by LeChron James on 01.05.2012 at 22:56

JEEZ, that musta been one fuck of a spider bite to necessitate the use of a medically induced coma. Gaddamn

all the best, speedy recovery, etc.

You should look up photos of the disease on Google... But not while eating something.
----
THRASH!!!
01.05.2012 - 23:07
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
He was probably bitten by a brown recluse spider which has the effect of injecting venom which reacts necroticly to people who are allergic to it. He is either incredibly allergic to it or the thing went ape shit on his arm. With him getting knocked into a coma and having to relearn to walk I wonder if the venom somehow got deeper into his bloodstream and entered his brain, giving him a stroke. I wish him the best of luck.
01.05.2012 - 23:10
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Funny thing is that the doctor that took care of him just after the spider bite (and thus prevented his arm from being amputated), was a Slayer fan. That guy should be regarded as a hero for Slayerheads.
01.05.2012 - 23:18
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Along comes a spider?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

01.05.2012 - 23:21
Daniell
_爱情_
Best of luck to the co-founder of the best metal band.
01.05.2012 - 23:32
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Geez I've just read about this sickness for the first time in my life, it's so bad that such things exist. Good health Jeff!
----
01.05.2012 - 23:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 01.05.2012 at 22:50

Hmm I really have trouble with ppl who talk shit about spiders, ravens and owls, slayer is one of my fav bands :-/ at the same I felt sorry for Jeff.

Some people don't like them due to phobia or having extremely bad experiences. It's perfectly understandable.

This for example... was fucking extreme. Poor guy. Best of luck to the dude.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.05.2012 - 23:54
chronic-headache

HOLY ****!!!!!
If they don't write a song or two about this I'd be a little shocked.
02.05.2012 - 00:18
quirin

Written by DrunkenFuck on 01.05.2012 at 23:01

You should look up photos of the disease on Google... But not while eating something.

I Just did. Youtube material is pretty explicit too...
That's the kind of shit that commands compassion. Haven't seen such gore since krokodil drug damages.
02.05.2012 - 00:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
People shood have written in passport or ID if somethng hepens they can choose die or let docs amutate arm, leg, personaly I would better choose die how let those things hepen
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.05.2012 - 00:42
Nightfall

Wow, I didn't know about this. Hoping the best for him.
02.05.2012 - 01:10
psykometal
A staff guy...
Glad to hear he's doing better.

Another thing that would be a factor in why they were looking to take his arm will be how long after the spider bit him 'til he went in to the hospital to find out why his arm was so fucked up. The longer you wait to go to the hospital after a Brown Recluse bite the more damage the hemotoxin will cause. Most Brown Recluse bites don't have very drastic effects, so if he was affected this badly then I would assume he probably didn't go into the hospital for days after the bite.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

02.05.2012 - 01:24
Lit 2.0
Account deleted
Holy fuck balls, Batman!
02.05.2012 - 02:26
Thrashette

... I am never going to make fun of anyone for being afraid of spiders again.
Hope Jeff gets well soon!
02.05.2012 - 02:52
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by DrunkenFuck on 01.05.2012 at 23:01

Oh trust me, I'm familiar with necrotizing fasciitis. Shit is GNAR. I just didn't know it could get so bad that it could necessitate the need for a medically induced coma.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
02.05.2012 - 04:31
Reverend X

Get well soon Jeff. Slayer would never be the same without you. You and Kerry are the lifeblood of the band.
02.05.2012 - 04:45
sbgmetal

Be cool to see gary on a slayer album would prob be much better then their recent releases
02.05.2012 - 05:13
Sr Tumnus

The best for Mr HAnneman!!!!! he is Strong!!!!
----
Damn is good!
02.05.2012 - 05:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
As far as I know the spider friends I've made over the years don't have any interest in poisoning me, so for now I'll withhold any judgment on the arachnid race.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.05.2012 - 06:19
MetalSpider

I would just like to say that me and my people had nothing to do with this. The spider involved was definitely a rogue spider.

Get well soon Jeff
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
02.05.2012 - 07:58
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Quote:
p.s. - Fuck spiders

.....with lots of condom on if you are really into it. Other than that, get well soon Jeff.
02.05.2012 - 08:14
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Damm! that fuckn suxx! hop he gets better soon, thats gotta be so frustrating being a guitargod and not being able to play

PS check out the first part of "Notable People Afflicted" on wikipedia:

King Herod the Great of Judea may have suffered from Fournier gangrene (necrotizing fasciitis of the groin and genitalia)

^^^^ Now that would be the worst!
----
pewpew.. gotcha
02.05.2012 - 10:57
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.05.2012 at 23:50
Some people don't like them due to phobia or having extremely bad experiences. It's perfectly understandable.

This for example... was fucking extreme. Poor guy. Best of luck to the dude.

Exactly. It's not that I "don't like" spiders, it's that they scare me and freak me out... and hearing stories like this hardly helps matters when you're already scared of them! Dunno about comparing them with owls either... Owls are lovely, and they don't leave you with potentially life threatening conditions either. lol

As for Jeff, it seems like he really was in worse shape than the band were initially willing to let on. Hope he gets well soon and returns with a great new Slayer album, and the following tour.
02.05.2012 - 15:37
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Angelic Storm on 02.05.2012 at 10:57

As for Jeff, it seems like he really was in worse shape than the band were initially willing to let on.

That was a wise decision though, it's pointless to put more drama than the situation already has.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.05.2012 - 17:39
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
God damn, did he get bit by a brown recluse or something? That's some serious shit for a spider bite.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
03.05.2012 - 03:48
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
He'll be in top form in no. But damn nature, you scary.
----
Coldgrits
03.05.2012 - 11:12
Symmachus

Get well soon, Jeff Hanneman. That must have been a monster of a spider that screwed him up in such a way.

Hits total: 7853 | This month: 14