Metal Storm logo
The Fall of Flower Metal - Power Metal 2012 MK II

Original post

Posted by R'Vannith, 04.05.2012 - 20:10
Looking for the 2012 Power metal recommendations thread today but it, along with its creator 'Flower Metal', seems to have disappeared from the face of the internet... Anyway, here we go again, recommend some Power metal from this year you have heard!

I'll leave all suggestions up here in alphabetical order (I can't recall most of the suggestions made in the previous thread so if you could leave them again that would be good):

Albums on MS:
3 Inches Of Blood - Long Live Heavy Metal (as you probably guessed from the title this is more heavy rather than power metal)
Amberian Dawn - Circus Black (Symphonic Power)
Axel Rudi Pell - Circle Of The Oath (Heavy/Power)
Black Majesty - Stargazer (Power)
Brendon Small - Brendon Small's Galaktikon (Alternative/Heavy/Power) Review by Ag Fox
Damnation Angels - Bringer Of Light (Symphonic Power)
Dark Empire - From Refuge To Ruin (Progressive Power) Review by Ag Fox
Dol Ammad - Cosmic Gods Episode I: Hyperspeed (Electronic/Symphonic/Progressive Power)
DragonForce - The Power Within (has more going for it than you might anticipate)
Drakkar - When Lightning Strikes (Symphonic Power) Review by MoraWintersoul
Fall Of Eden - The Warrior (Extreme Power) Review by MoraWintersoul
Firewind - Few Against Many (Heavy/Power)
Freedom Call - Land Of The Crimson Dawn (Power)
Gaia Epicus - Dark Secrets (Power)
Grave Digger - Clash Of The Gods (Heavy/Power)
Iron Fire - Voyage Of The Damned (Slightly Progressive Power)
Lonewolf - Army Of The Damned (Heavy/Power)
Luca Turilli's Rhapsody - Ascending To Infinity (Symphonic Power) Review by Baz Anderson
Malice - New Breed Of Godz (Heavy/Power)
Mezarkabul - MMXII (Heavy/Thrash/Power)
Nightmare - The Burden Of God (Heavy/Power) Review by Ag Fox
Pathfinder - Fifth Element (Symphonic Power)
Pharaoh - Bury The Light (US/Heavy Power) Review by Doc Godin
Primal Fear - Unbreakable (Heavy/Power)
Rage - 21 (Heavy/Thrash Power)
ReinXeed - Welcome To The Theater (Symphonic Power)
Sabaton - Carolus Rex (Heavy/Power) Review by Baz Anderson
Saratoga - Nemesis (Heavy/Power)
Savage Messiah - Plague Of Conscience (Thrash/Power) Review by Doc Godin
Shear - Breaking The Stillness (Power)
Six Magics - Falling Angels (Power)
Sonata Arctica - Stones Grow Her Name (Power) Review by Baz Anderson
Steelwing - Zone Of Alienation (Heavy/Power) Review by MoraWintersoul
Unisonic - Unisonic (Power)
Vendetta - World Under Fire (Heavy/Power)
White Skull - Under This Flag (Heavy/Power)

Albums not on MS (with some links to some tracks if possible):

Ascension - Far Beyond The Stars (Power)
Book Of Reflections - Relentless Fighter (Power)
Crimson Shadows - Glory On The Battlefield (Extreme Power)
Crow7 - Symphony Of Souls (Progressive Power)
Dragony - Legends (Power)
Elixir - Unleash The Magic (Power)
Guadaña(Scythe) - El Grito Del Silencio (The Cry Of Silence) (Heavy/Power with Spanish vocals)
Holy Knights - Between Daylight and Pain (Symphonic Power)
Katana - Storms Of War (Power)
Kemilon - Twisted Storm (Progressive Power)
Last Kingdom - Chronicles of The North (Power)
Lothloryen - Raving Souls Society (Power)
New Eden - Solving For X (Heavy/Power)
Nocturne Moonrise - Into The Romaunt (Power)
Pandaemonium - The Last Prayer (Power)
Phoenix Rising (formerly known as Quinta Enmienda) - MMXII (Symphonic Power)
Sacred Blood - Alexandros (Heavy/Power)
Shadowdance - Future Negative Fantasy (Progressive Power)
A Sound Of Thunder - Out Of The Darkness (Female Fronted Heavy/Power)
Sleepy Hollow - Skull 13 (US Power)
Teodasia - Upwards (Female Fronted Symphonic/Power)
Winterstorm - Kings Will Fall (Power)
Winters Verge (Heavy/Power)
23.06.2012 - 15:42
Druss

Then it'd be even longer! (:smartassface:)
But yes, will do, thanks
24.06.2012 - 21:05
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Druss on 17.06.2012 at 00:27

That's pretty much why I joined MetalStorm as opposed to other sites, there's more of a ''personal'' touch here, as well for the most part (and that could sound negative, but it really isn't comparitively) the members here are friendly and patient. Since I've joined here, I've found many new bands, albums and such, as well as made the transition from a purely melodic metal base to enjoying extreme metal records. I know that doesn't sound like much, but only a few months ago, I honestly believed I'd never enjoy extreme metal.
the same applies to me apart from the few months ago bit (=

Brendon Small is on MS btw (referring to the first post), and I would say it's more Heavy metal than power.
----
loves 小巫
25.06.2012 - 16:19
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Druss on 23.06.2012 at 15:10

Sorry again, R'Vannith, about the length lol, and for the heavy metal suggestions, though I've realised in the last two posts I can make your job easier by actually mentioning the album name for each band I suggest lol, my bad about that in my earlier posts.

God blimey are you trying to do me in? When my exams are over I'll sort those out. And its no problem, it does make it easier for when I shift all the suggestions up top for those too lazy to read the whole thread, which I anticipate there would be.
Also have you heard the new Firewind? It was pretty a disappointing continuation of their earlier stuff.
I agree with both Sabaton and Dark Empire. Sabaton isn't something I listened to very often so its always great in occasional doses I think. Dark Empire was very bland and its mostly in the production I think, I enjoyed the sound of the previous album much more, as well as the vocalist, though I do prefer his vocals with Persuader.
25.06.2012 - 19:00
Druss

No hurry, mayan, I've only the spare time to write posts that long 'cus I'm only after finishing my exams myself

Same vocalist as Persuader? I did not know that O_o they've a good rep, have a few of their albums ''lying around'' on my comp, haven't gotten around to 'em yet. But yes, I think the production was indeed a problem, the production, actually, reminds me a lot of certain US power metal albums' prodcution, which seems to give the impression of listening to it through a wall, i.e. you get the general sound, but little nuances are lost, and those can be what makes or breaks a song/even an album, at times.

Funny you should mention Firewind lol, I was looking back over my post after finishing it and realised I'd forgotten to add my thoughts on that one for me, it was all too samey, same rapid riffs/drumming allied with that same, repetitive vocal tone from the vocalist the whole way through. I didn't hate it or anything, but it certainly won't be getting repeated listens from me, which is disappointing, 'cus their reputation is fairly good, from what I gather.

While I'm posting, just gonna mention Nightqueen's (pretty sure this band is up in Suggestions, though I didn't add them) album, For Queen And Metal (heavy/power metal). The songwriting and structures are actually really good, there's a Doro-esque female singer behind the mike, the riffs and drummin' remain interesting the whole way through. The way its geared, I think this can be listened to as background music as well. Give Lady Fantasy a go if you're thus inclined (again, I prefer to steer away from official vids, but its the only one I could get).
25.06.2012 - 19:36
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Druss on 25.06.2012 at 19:00

'cus their reputation is fairly good, from what I gather.

Their 2008 album, The Premonition, is one of my personal favorites, maybe even one of my top 15 power metal albums ever. I like everything they've done up until Days Of Defiance, that one was quite meh, but they've deserved their good reputation with albums up to and including The Premonition, which is the best place to start if you want some Firewind goodness.
----
7.0 means the album is good
25.06.2012 - 20:31
Druss

Written by Milena on 25.06.2012 at 19:36
Their 2008 album, The Premonition, is one of my personal favorites, maybe even one of my top 15 power metal albums ever. I like everything they've done up until Days Of Defiance, that one was quite meh, but they've deserved their good reputation with albums up to and including The Premonition, which is the best place to start if you want some Firewind goodness.

Thanks for the tip, Mora, especially as I've resolved lately to get a bit more into the discogs of the more ''known'' power metal bands such as Sabaton, Sonata Arctica, Powerwolf, ReinXeed (heard the latest albums of these bands), Helloween, Kamelot (heard one album from both before, and didn't really enjoy them at the time, but I can always give them another try), Stratovarius, Gamma Ray and such. Any recommendations at all into these bands' and others' vital albums are more than welcome (though obviously, I don't wanna end up going too off-topic).
25.06.2012 - 21:18
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Druss on 25.06.2012 at 20:31

Any recommendations at all into these bands' and others' vital albums are more than welcome (though obviously, I don't wanna end up going too off-topic).

I'll PM you when I think of something
----
03.07.2012 - 21:57
Lars Oystien

My band is better

www.firehawk.bandcamp.com
----
Fastest shred in the world. Lead guitarist/Songwriter/Band Leader of FireHawk, the BEST power metal band ever to exist.
04.07.2012 - 10:55
Stabby
Account deleted
This reminds me to check out Damnation Angels, I heard this one that the threadstarter posted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNerE4k4htM&ob=av3e when their singer uploaded it on his youtube channel (he also does a lot of great power metal covers, check it out). I really love his voice. It's not a metal voice, he has more of a pop voice and he does metal with it. But what a pop voice! If he could get a bit more power and control behind it he would be a legend in my book. /my personal opinion

But I have so damn many albums to listen to. I heart you, metal. But you wear me out.
31.07.2012 - 21:00
Jam4Lyfe
Account deleted
Is flower metal like cannibal corpse?
31.07.2012 - 23:29
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Guest on 31.07.2012 at 21:00

Is flower metal like cannibal corpse?

..........................................................no
01.08.2012 - 06:52
R'Vannith
ghedengi
This is pretty catchy, from the band "Destination's Calling":

Also, another release from the Chilean group Six Magics
02.08.2012 - 17:33
Druss

@R'Vannith Enjoyed those two, especially Six Magic's, those female vocals kick ass.

Ain't got much to report myself, apart from Sacred Blood's Alexandros, a concept album based on Alexander of Macedonia (''The Great''), played in a heavy/power metal fashion. This is definately one of the best power metal albums I've heard this year, full of tasty riffs, infectious choruses, strong vocals and interesting little excerpts between songs here and there, filled with commanders barking orders, horses galloping, spoken word bits and what have you. Thoroughly recommend it, here's The Apotheosis Of Alexander/ Ride Through The Achaemenid Empire (the title is wrong, ''The Apotheosis Of Alexander'' is only the first 38 seconds or so of it, one of those smaller excerpts between songs I mentioned). If I could find it (grrr), I'd put up ''The Bold Prince Of Macedonia'', which has gotten played by me on its own at least a few dozen times already, but what can you do.
03.08.2012 - 18:57
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Druss on 02.08.2012 at 17:33

@R'Vannith Enjoyed those two, especially Six Magic's, those female vocals kick ass.

Ain't got much to report myself, apart from Sacred Blood's Alexandros, a concept album based on Alexander of Macedonia (''The Great''), played in a heavy/power metal fashion. This is definately one of the best power metal albums I've heard this year, full of tasty riffs, infectious choruses, strong vocals and interesting little excerpts between songs here and there, filled with commanders barking orders, horses galloping, spoken word bits and what have you. Thoroughly recommend it, here's The Apotheosis Of Alexander/ Ride Through The Achaemenid Empire (the title is wrong, ''The Apotheosis Of Alexander'' is only the first 38 seconds or so of it, one of those smaller excerpts between songs I mentioned). If I could find it (grrr), I'd put up ''The Bold Prince Of Macedonia'', which has gotten played by me on its own at least a few dozen times already, but what can you do.

That song sounds punchy, enough to cause the uploader to trip over his wireless mouse. Nice theme too, similar to what Virgin Steele have done in their concept albums and like them they know how to use those symphonic elements and they use a lot of those additional excerpts and bits and pieces. That's where the similarities end though, leans much closer to the power metal side than heavy.

Also, I'm very much looking forward to hearing the new Cloudscape (ignore the pitiful video but the song is great ): http://www.metalstorm.net/events/news_comments.php?news_id=17390
03.08.2012 - 21:10
Druss

Aye, the video was a bit cringeworthy lol, but I enjoyed the song as far as ''progressive metal'' (as they're described on their profile page, there's more than a bit of power/rock in that song at least) goes, they're easy enough to listen to without being an acquired taste, so to speak, which I like.

@Milena (if she still keeps an eye on this topic, lol) Thanks for your rec, Firewind's The Premonition, very much enjoyed the album
04.08.2012 - 17:38
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Druss on 03.08.2012 at 21:10

@Milena (if she still keeps an eye on this topic, lol) Thanks for your rec, Firewind's The Premonition, very much enjoyed the album

Yes, yes I do! You're welcome. I remember I should have sent you that PM with some other stuff, forgetful me! Have you cracked into Kamelot yet?
----
04.08.2012 - 19:39
Druss

No worries lol, frankly, I reneged on my decision to check out some of the more known band's discogs, lately I haven't listened to music too much (and it ain't helped by my earphones breaking today lol), the only ''power'' metal band who's discography I've taken a bit of a look at so far has been Manilla Road, who are ofc more US power metal inclined, so I haven't started on Kamelot yet. However, I got The Black Halo a while ago (still have it), but it didn't agree with me, so to speak. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy it, it may have been either a bit too much on the proggy side (I get very, very choosy with prog), or maybe it wasn't a great starting album for me, in Kamelot's case. If I were to start on Kamelot, which album would you recommend?

On a slightly more on-topic basis Black Majesty's latest, Stargazer (Power Metal) was a bit of a disappointment to me, as I had read a few favourable opinions of it beforehand, but frankly, the songwriting isn't strong enough, the vocals are a little bit one dimensional, and the production is far too clear and polished. As power metal goes, this isn't half as annoying as some out there (there are plentiful enough keys and realtively ''happy'' riffs, yes, but nowehere near as bad as some I've forced myself to listen to this year lol), but I was expecting a little more, and maybe that flavoured my impression of it, because to me its just a bit too typical. Favourite track was probably Journey To The Soul, give it a go if you are so inclined.
05.08.2012 - 12:46
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Hmm, I might suggest Kamelot's Epica album as one to get into their discography, or perhaps Karma. Those two, as well as their earlier albums are structured with more of a power metal approach in mind I think. The Black Halo is considerably more symphonic (though they've always taken the symphonic elements to heart since Khan joined the band, which makes sense considering his vocal style) and progressive as well as polished (to perfection to my ears).

Black Majesty I've been purposefully avoiding checking out as I just know it will be more disappointment, though I've never been much of fan, some their earlier stuff is decent.

Anyway, listening to White Skull at the moment and it sounds good so far!
05.08.2012 - 16:12
Druss

Thanks for the suggestion, R'Vannith, and I guess that makes sense about The Black Halo, symphonic power (if it doesn't have a fairly healthy dose of heavy metal influence) is very hit or miss for me, so maybe that's why I'm struggling with it. Will definately make sure to start on either of the two albums you've suggested.
08.08.2012 - 02:25
Stabby
Account deleted
Written by R'Vannith on 05.08.2012 at 12:46

Hmm, I might suggest Kamelot's Epica album as one to get into their discography, or perhaps Karma. Those two, as well as their earlier albums are structured with more of a power metal approach in mind I think. The Black Halo is considerably more symphonic (though they've always taken the symphonic elements to heart since Khan joined the band, which makes sense considering his vocal style) and progressive as well as polished (to perfection to my ears).

Black Majesty I've been purposefully avoiding checking out as I just know it will be more disappointment, though I've never been much of fan, some their earlier stuff is decent.

Anyway, listening to White Skull at the moment and it sounds good so far!

Judging by the songs of the new album on youtube it's probably going to disappoint you. It's kind of like In Your Honor, some catchy riffs and choruses but nothing to say other than that. Standard power metal. They sound like they're lost in melody land, they just kind of meander around through notes without a clear direction, which wasn't really the case with all of the songs on In Your Honor, actually, so this album can be said to be less good.

How did you know that was going to happen?! You're a prophet
08.08.2012 - 09:59
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Guest on 08.08.2012 at 02:25

Judging by the songs of the new album on youtube it's probably going to disappoint you. It's kind of like In Your Honor, some catchy riffs and choruses but nothing to say other than that. Standard power metal. They sound like they're lost in melody land, they just kind of meander around through notes without a clear direction, which wasn't really the case with all of the songs on In Your Honor, actually, so this album can be said to be less good.

How did you know that was going to happen?! You're a prophet

This seems to happen with many power metal bands these days, some start with some really fun, melodic material which sticks in your mind. Then many sort of fizzle out, lose that inspiration they had. Happens everywhere in music I suppose.

Haha, nothing prophetic about it Seems to me they have just fallen into a rut, based on their last few albums, though I didn't give In Your Honour much attention. A few tracks in I quickly gave up, which in retrospect isn't a good thing, there might have been something more enjoyable I missed, but.. when you're bored you're bored I guess.
08.08.2012 - 12:59
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Great song by the band "Oceans Of Time", some prog/symphonic/power with a touch of Celtic folk:
08.08.2012 - 16:40
Druss

Written by R'Vannith on 08.08.2012 at 12:59
Great song by the band "Oceans Of Time", some prog/symphonic/power with a touch of Celtic folk

Brilliant song, R'Vannith, very good find, as far as prog/symph power goes, THAT'S exactly what I like within that particular genre strong songwriting, not dependant too much (there was a bit of that power metal guitarring we're all familiar with at around the 3:00 min mark) on some of the staples of the genre. Reminded me very much for some reason (probably lyrical content) of Blind Guardian's ''Curse My Name''.

Must've forgot these ones last few times I posted lol, heard them first ages ago, but Elixir's Unleash The Magic (Elixir from Uruguay, not the NWOBHM act) is fairly pleasing power metal (with abundant enough keys), some of the vocals are weak, some of the instruments play a bit stereotypically at time, but they try out a few things which I very much like, they're still a new act (formed in 2009, this is their first release as far as I know) and they can get away with that. Try the title track out for size, there's an almost thrash-ish riff in this one.

As well, Malice's latest in a long career, New Breed Of Godz is a great speed/heavy metal album. As much as I'm a noob to metal still, I'm well aware of James Rivera's reputation, and he delivers in some fashion here, with plenty of screams and throaty lows. The songwriting is relatively simply, but gives maximum pleasure, and for me, was one of the most solid albums I've listened to so far this year in the heavy metal department. Here's, again, the title track for your listening pleasure/displeasure.

We haven't discussed news much on this topic, but what do you guys think about the recent news that Avantasia (i.e. Tobias Sammet) have decided to release a new album in 2013? I'm very much stoked about it. I seem to be one of those weirdos that didn't very much like the The Metal Opera (tried it on two seperate occasions, it didn't reach through to me for w/e reason), but very much enjoyed The Scarecrow (one of my favourite power metal albums) and found the other two albums of the trilogy relatively good. As much as I love Jorn's vocals, I think his best comes out in Avantasia (just see the The Wicked Symphony's title track ), so I'm hoping that once again Sammet invites him along on this one. What do you guys think?
08.08.2012 - 17:33
R'Vannith
ghedengi
I've never heard of Malice, but Rivera is a great vocalist! Can't get enough of his stuff with Helstar. I couldn't recommend Glory Of Chaos enough, though its very Thrash based. I'll be checking that New Breed album out.

As for Avantasia.. well the nails have been long hammered into Edguy's coffin so I'm looking forward to Sammet doing something else. The material on albums like The Wicked Symphony are a lot better than bombs like Age of the Joker.
Still.. I do prefer the sound of The Metal Opera, hopefully he will rejuvenate a bit of that in this new effort.
08.08.2012 - 20:07
Druss

Well, people have been suggesting the idea of a splice between the Scarecrow trilogy and the Metal Opera, i.e., a more concentrated story than the former had (frankly, I didn't look at it as a ''story'' at all, more as a bunch of individual songs, and it suited me better that way), but with the ''cast'' (i.e. all thems guests we sure do like) of the former, getting the best of both worlds that way, and that'd suit me down to the ground as well. As for Edguy, my only experience of them was Age Of The Joker, and frankly, it was a bit of a joke (ba dum tss), so like you suggest, I think this may be a tactical move on Sammet's part, and a good one in my view.

Also, on the topic of Edguy, any recommendations? I actually very much like Tobias Sammet's vocal style, so if anyone considers any of the Edguy discog ''essential'' or even just a bit of craic, lemme know.

As for Rivera, Helstar's discography has been collecting cyber dust on my laptop for a long while now, so after hearing Malice's latest, I think I need to get cracking on that
09.08.2012 - 18:01
Altberg616

Freedom Call are always a good bet
13.08.2012 - 01:35
renai

Some of my lovely power metal album this year, some are not found in metalstorm, I dunno why?

Dragony - Legends 2012
Cloudscape New Era 2012 - progressive
Heaven Rain - Second Sun, female singing
Destination's Calling - End of Time
Gaia Epicus - Dark Secrets
Winter's Verge - Beyond Vengeance
Dawn Of Destiny - Praying to the World 2012
Wardrum - Desolation 2012
Fatal Force - Unholly Alliance, guitarist Torben Enevoldsen.
Driver - Countdown singer Rob Rock
Dark Empire - From Refuge to Ruin
Nightmare - The Burden of God
Pathfinder - Fifth Elements

and most recommended ... Affector - Harmageddon, although it is progressive project by Symphony X bassist

and of course big names...
Dragonforce!
Sabaton
Luca Turilli's Rhapsody
... Manowar my friends?
----
hey...my blog >>> http://metalharem.blogspot.com/
14.08.2012 - 14:16
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by renai on 13.08.2012 at 01:35

Some of my lovely power metal album this year, some are not found in metalstorm, I dunno why?

Dragony - Legends 2012
Cloudscape New Era 2012 - progressive
Heaven Rain - Second Sun, female singing
Destination's Calling - End of Time
Gaia Epicus - Dark Secrets
Winter's Verge - Beyond Vengeance
Dawn Of Destiny - Praying to the World 2012
Wardrum - Desolation 2012
Fatal Force - Unholly Alliance, guitarist Torben Enevoldsen.
Driver - Countdown singer Rob Rock
Dark Empire - From Refuge to Ruin
Nightmare - The Burden of God
Pathfinder - Fifth Elements

and most recommended ... Affector - Harmageddon, although it is progressive project by Symphony X bassist

and of course big names...
Dragonforce!
Sabaton
Luca Turilli's Rhapsody
... Manowar my friends?

Thanks for those suggestions, there's a few there we've missed.
14.08.2012 - 16:20
Milena
gloom cookie
I really need to get on top of that LePond project.
----
16.08.2012 - 01:47
renai

Good thread. I think metalstorm sort of many power metal genre. Please keep this update so I can save time storming youtube for good band. Btw, Brazilian Scelerata is good CD for this month, Andi Deris and Paul Di'Anno guest.
----
hey...my blog >>> http://metalharem.blogspot.com/