Metal Storm logo
Pandora 101: A Future Great Band Of Metal

Written by: AndMetalForAll
Published: 19.04.2012

Pandora 101's logo

Pandora 101 are not very well known to fans of metal music. Formed in 1999 in Brazil by lovers of music, professors, students and postgraduates with over 25 years of combined touring experience even before the band existed, Pandora 101 has been working for 10 years on behalf of art. Nowadays one of the few bands that has the ability to mix diverse styles such as progressive, rock, thrash, heavy and speed metal with amazing quality.

"The idea of Pandora 101 was born in 1999, when Nando Moura (Vocals, Guitars) and his brother Gugo Moura (Bass), influenced by bands such as KISS and Blind Guardian, decided to do their own band. What used to be only amusement and a few cover songs gigs became a complex music project which explores the soft and the aggressive, using the reflection of life, of human state and of melancholy to create its own identity."

(taken off Pandora 101's official website)

All of the band's songs have a purpose; all the tracks define their thoughts about themes like death, life, reflection and mind. All band members have experience and musical degrees, the band is mainly formed by music teachers, music producers, maestros and postgraduates. They have officially released three full length studio albums (2007, 2009, 2011) and two singles (both in 2008).

Although, Pandora 101 are an extremely talented band, commercially they are not known to the general fans of the metal style, like I said above. If you google the band's name you won't find much information about the band. Of course the official website and myspace will show up but in terms of technical reviews or critics nothing will be shown. Brazil is a great "factory" of heavy music with bands such as Angra, Korzus or Sepultura, the three of them with great commercial success.

The origin of the name Pandora 101:

"Pandora, from Greek mythology, the one who has all the gifts. She was the first woman of the word and was sent to Epimeteu as a gift from Zeus. However, she carried a box with her that would be used as a punishment, for having Epimeteu's brother Prometeu stolen the secret of fire from the skies. Epimeteu opened the box for curiosity setting free all the evils of the world, putting an end in the golden age of humanity as a consequence. Nevertheless when he finally was able to close the box the only thing that didn't get out was Hope, which was in the bottom of the box.

Pandora 101 represents the reopening of Pandora's box, since 101 is the representative number of the opposites: opened/closed. To reopen Pandora's box."

(taken off Pandora 101's official website)

In my opinion the best album of the band has to be the 2009's epic Hourglass, that defines the thought about people and life. The only official music video released by the band is above entitled "Nothing Will Remain".

Artwork of Hourglass

Hourglass track list:
1. The Box
2. Out Of Silence
3. I Hope
4. Nothing Will Remain
5. Ryu´s Theme
6. On Melancholy
7. Redemption
8. At The Gates Of Solitude
9. Sandglass
10. Into The Abyss
11. Wizard Of Tempest
12. Inside of my Thoughts
13. Hourglass

Hourglass has the ability to be heavy, sad, depressive and progressive?it's just amazing. Technically perfect, played by true men of music, the solos are heavy, fast and sick; drum parts are off the charts. All the album is very concise with no filler tracks, in my opinion. Great work with the bass and voice. Nowadays Pandora 101 consists of Nando Moura (Guitar and Vocals); Gugo Moura (Bass); Marcello Pacheco (Guitar); Claudio Stabile (Drums). All the elements I described above can be heard in what is, in my opinion, the best song of the album: "Inside My Thoughts". Check it below:

To the real fans of the band, Pandora 101 is described as a mix between Pantera, Metallica, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden and Iced Earth. The 2006 album, Sealed Penance, is also a very good demonstration of the band's talent, but that talent is improved in the 2009 album. Rhymes Of Man, released in 2011, is considered by some fans to be better than the previous, but in my opinion the band hits their peak in the album above, Hourglass.

Pandora 101 is a very talented band formed by people that love music and really understand it. They define music as the supreme art of realization and they show it in every single record they release. Commercially they need backup but that doesn't erase the fact that they have a technically exquisite quality and are in my view the future of Brazilian Metal!!

Official Website: http://www.pandora101.com
MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/pandora101
Band members website:
www.nandomoura.com
www.carloshenriqueferreira.com

Guest article disclaimer:
This is a guest article, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 63 users
05.05.2012 - 20:07
BestaVermelha
Account deleted
Thumbs up and thanks for this recommendation! I´ve listened to their 2009 album "Hourglass" and i loved it!
Everything is great, the melodies, the concept behind the songs, and the musicianship; also there´s lots of variety, fast, slow, heavy, ballads, instrumentals, folk melodies, proeminent bass!
I don´t know how this band doesn´t get more recognition, but they certainly deserve it!
Many, many thanks!
05.05.2012 - 21:02
AndMetalForAll
kual21
Written by Guest on 05.05.2012 at 20:07

Thumbs up and thanks for this recommendation! I´ve listened to their 2009 album "Hourglass" and i loved it!
Everything is great, the melodies, the concept behind the songs, and the musicianship; also there´s lots of variety, fast, slow, heavy, ballads, instrumentals, folk melodies, proeminent bass!
I don´t know how this band doesn´t get more recognition, but they certainly deserve it!
Many, many thanks!

Thanks for reading. If you want it in Metal Storm team, go to suggestions write pandora 101 and give me a plus.. vote for Pandora 101.

They really are great, technically amazing...a true pleasure for every fan of great music. Also listen to the newest album Rhymes of Man from last year, Hourglass is better but the 2011 release doesn't spoil the fame and potencial of the band.

greets,
AndMetalForAll
----
greets,
kual21
16.05.2012 - 22:06
AndMetalForAll
kual21
If you think this band should be added in MS team thumbs up in suggestions. Go to suggestions write pandora 101 and give me a plus.. vote for Pandora 101.
----
greets,
kual21
19.06.2012 - 19:15
Lokaeda
Account deleted
"influenced by bands such as Kiss and Blind Guardian"

I was made for loving you among elves, knights and bards?
19.06.2012 - 19:29
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Such hype for such garbage... 25 years of combined musical knowledge and this is the best they could come up with? I'd be disappointed in myself as much as my fellow band members.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.06.2012 - 18:34
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Agreed, this stuff is pretty abysmal. I can't think of a single reason for the author to waste his time with an article like this... Hmm perhaps they are good at fellatio?
20.06.2012 - 23:34
Oaken
Hipster
Written by jupitreas on 20.06.2012 at 18:34

Hmm perhaps they are good at fellatio?

Maybe, but not better than Dave Vincent's wife
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
21.06.2012 - 00:25
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by Oaken on 20.06.2012 at 23:34

Written by jupitreas on 20.06.2012 at 18:34

Hmm perhaps they are good at fellatio?

Maybe, but not better than Dave Vincent's wife

How dare you, she's a human being you know!
11.01.2017 - 17:08
diegorobles

This band is the worst shit. Here in Brazil we used to say about a bad band ''bad as Pandora 101''
25.01.2017 - 08:21
Ivan Jones

Terrible band!!! No one in Brazil knows this garbage band.

Hits total: 7851 | This month: 14