08. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
+ Aces High [video] [1998 re-release bonus]
+ 2 Minutes To Midnight [video] [1998 re-release bonus]

Disc II [1995 reissue bonus disc]
01. Rainbow's Gold [Beckett cover]
02. Mission From 'Arry
03. King Of The Twilight [Nektar cover]
04. The Number Of The Beast [live]

This has to be one of Iron Maiden's best albums of all. It has everything from a fast and furious metal assault such as "Aces High", to an instrumental song such as "Losfer Words".

It all starts off with "Aces High", a song about WWII dogfights. A good heavy metal song with a good amount of guitar solo's and superb lyrics. It has a memorable tune that you keep rocking to in your head for hours. Next comes another classic song "2 Minutes to Midnight". Slower than the previous song, the guitars are very tight while the rhythm is powerbul as Dickinson sings away. The many guitar solos in this kick some metal ass. Next comes "Losfer Words" one of the four instrumental's that Iron Maiden has done. Not as great as the other's but definitely worth the time to listen to. The drums keep a constant sound with some nice guitar and bass in there also. The next song is a definite killer; "Flash of the Blade" starts off with a nice guitar solo then picks up into a nice beat. A great song about being a swordsman and it rocks to the very end. The next is "Duellists" a kind of cross bread between "Flash of the Blade" and "Powerslave" a bit, definitely worth listing to but not as great as the others. Another metal assault is "Back in the Village"; this song is good all around a nice blend of drums and guitar. "Powerslave", well what can I say, its killer, lyrics about an evil Egyptian god and great music to fallow it up, an instant classic. The last song on the list is "Rime of the Ancient Mariner", this song pounds with base, the drums flowing and the guitar sounds ever so killer.

Iron Maiden has a real masterpiece here, if you don't have it, go buy it, you won't be disappointed...

Written by | 18.09.2003

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 54   Visited by: 300 users
06.11.2006 - 18:49
Rating: 5
Talvi

This album isn't perfect. Both the two openers and closers are great, but the other tracks are very mediocre.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
06.11.2006 - 23:32
Rating: 8
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
What turns me off about this album is that the guitarist directly copied Mercyful Fate's guitar riff in Curse of the Pharoah for their 2 Minutes to Midnight song. Sorry, I bitch about that every time this album is mentioned.
07.11.2006 - 00:15
Rating: 9
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I don't really think that the review is that well done really, all it is is this persons oppinion of the various songs from the album, and doesn't really have much technicality involved in it. However, either this or "Piece of Mind" are my favorite maiden albums, I can't decide, but in either case, I approve of the rating. Long live Maiden!!
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
01.01.2007 - 19:38
DLMokoma
Account deleted
Almost as good as Seventh Son of a Seventh Son I'm listening the album right now, and I'm definetly not regretting for buying it.
01.01.2007 - 21:53
RavenLord

Written by Dangerboner on 06.11.2006 at 23:32

What turns me off about this album is that the guitarist directly copied Mercyful Fate's guitar riff in Curse of the Pharoah for their 2 Minutes to Midnight song. Sorry, I bitch about that every time this album is mentioned.

Wrong. I doubt Maiden had heard of Mercyful Fate by '85, and anyway, Venom's 'Welcome to Hell' features the same style of riff, and was written in 1981. The riff you mention is so simple, that it has been done many times without 'copying' from other artists; it's just a simple riff in the key of A involving 3 chords (A5, G5 (one tone down from A5), A5) and a lot of palm muted open A string...hardly original, but damn catchy.
----
02.01.2007 - 06:36
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Why don't you think Maiden knew of Mercyful Fate back then? I know it's a simple riff, but it's very distinct. Pretty much every band does this though, so I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it. Oh, and I can't comment about Venom because I never listen to them.
02.01.2007 - 11:49
RavenLord

Written by Dangerboner on 02.01.2007 at 06:36

Why don't you think Maiden knew of Mercyful Fate back then? I know it's a simple riff, but it's very distinct. Pretty much every band does this though, so I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it. Oh, and I can't comment about Venom because I never listen to them.

Because Mercyful Fate had wound up (for the first time) by '85, according to my research. Given the metal genre's obsession with big bands like Priest, KISS and Saxon around this time (don't forget, the NWOBHM held sway), I think Maiden's attention would have been on the big 'arena-rockers' of the 80's. You also have to remember that Queen were still in the game at this stage (Maiden opened for them in Rock in Rio in 1985), and I just don't think that Mercyful Fate would have circulated enough by that stage for Maiden to have come into contact with them; at least, not as much as to be very familiar with their songs. Of course, I could be wrong, but the point is, when you're talking about songs released only a handful of years apart, there isn't much room for accusations of plagirsm, especially with such a basic riff pattern.
----
02.01.2007 - 12:02
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Written by RavenLord on 02.01.2007 at 11:49

Because Mercyful Fate had wound up (for the first time) by '85, according to my research. Given the metal genre's obsession with big bands like Priest, KISS and Saxon around this time (don't forget, the NWOBHM held sway), I think Maiden's attention would have been on the big 'arena-rockers' of the 80's. You also have to remember that Queen were still in the game at this stage (Maiden opened for them in Rock in Rio in 1985), and I just don't think that Mercyful Fate would have circulated enough by that stage for Maiden to have come into contact with them; at least, not as much as to be very familiar with their songs. Of course, I could be wrong, but the point is, when you're talking about songs released only a handful of years apart, there isn't much room for accusations of plagirsm, especially with such a basic riff pattern.

Your argument about the circulation of music is true, however, there was one mistake: it's spelt "plagiarism" not "plagirsm"
02.01.2007 - 16:49
RavenLord

Written by Guest on 02.01.2007 at 12:02

Your argument about the circulation of music is true, however, there was one mistake: it's spelt "plagiarism" not "plagirsm"

I knew it didn't look right, but I was too lazy to look it up
----
27.01.2007 - 01:54
Jupiter
Account deleted
I love this album but i agree with Largos, it isn't perfect. Flash of the Blade and Back in the Village i didn't find as good as the rest of the album but as it has classics like Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Powerslave and 2 Minutes to Midnight, it makes up for it.;D. This album's a MUST for any Iron Maiden fan
27.01.2007 - 12:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

Okay a little history is in order here.
Curse of the Pharaohs first features on Mercyful Fate's 3rd demo which was recorded in the autumn of 1981. In 1982 a MF song feaured on a compilation released by Ebony Records from England. After the release of the Mercyful Fate - Mercyful Fate e.p. in 1982 MF were already quite the buzz in the metal world. Kerrang gave that e.p. a 5K rating, when Melissa was released in 1983 all the metal mags, both the BIG and small ones gave it ratings from 8.5 - 10 out of 10. So, it is very very very likely that Iron Maiden had heard MF before Powerslave. And remember that Melissa was released on RoadRunner in 1983 and even though RoadRunner was still a young label back then it was already quite big and well-known in the metal scene, and its release were easy to obtain.
ALthough Iron Maiden was a big name in 1984 they were interested in little bands. I remember an interview back then that both Steve Harris and Bruce Dickinson were saying that they still ordered demos and stuff from unknown bands just to hear what metal was morphing into.

So, I do think Iron Maiden certainly knew Mercyful Fate but I don't think it is a rip-off. Remember that both Curse of the Pharaohs and Powerslave had that Egyptian theme, and listening to that riff it does have an oriental feel to it, so that could be the reason.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.05.2007 - 21:41
heavy_hr
Account deleted
I don't find really anything of mediocre here. Really can't say which song is worser and which is better. Probably my favorite album of my favorite band flash of the blade is hell of song, that intro is breath taking and back in the village is really great for live performance, don't know why they play it so rarely...
25.05.2007 - 17:07
Lord TJ

My favorite songs out of this album is Aces High and Powerslave. Powerslave being my favorite Iron Maiden song.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
25.05.2007 - 21:09
RavenLord

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.01.2007 at 12:44

Curse of the Pharaohs first features on Mercyful Fate's 3rd demo which was recorded in the autumn of 1981. In 1982 a MF song feaured on a compilation released by Ebony Records from England. After the release of the Mercyful Fate - Mercyful Fate e.p. in 1982 MF were already quite the buzz in the metal world. Kerrang gave that e.p. a 5K rating, when Melissa was released in 1983 all the metal mags, both the BIG and small ones gave it ratings from 8.5 - 10 out of 10. So, it is very very very likely that Iron Maiden had heard MF before Powerslave. And remember that Melissa was released on RoadRunner in 1983 and even though RoadRunner was still a young label back then it was already quite big and well-known in the metal scene, and its release were easy to obtain.
ALthough Iron Maiden was a big name in 1984 they were interested in little bands. I remember an interview back then that both Steve Harris and Bruce Dickinson were saying that they still ordered demos and stuff from unknown bands just to hear what metal was morphing into.

So, I do think Iron Maiden certainly knew Mercyful Fate but I don't think it is a rip-off. Remember that both Curse of the Pharaohs and Powerslave had that Egyptian theme, and listening to that riff it does have an oriental feel to it, so that could be the reason.

Having finally heard 'Curse of the Pharoahs' (which is absolutely brilliant, although I prefer 'Evil' and 'Satan's Fall' from that album), I can conclude that the chances of it being intentional are minimal. Both riffs have more in common with the earlier 'Welcome to Hell' riff by Venom than each other, and all three songs are very different overall...as I said earlier, the riff is fairly basic in each case, which is why it's so memorable...simple intervals and chords work best for good riffs.

Anyway, as to the review itself (which I don't think I ever commented on ), I certainly wouldn't give Powerslave 9.9, and I'm one of the biggest Maiden fans on here. It's overshadowed by the four albums which preceded it and followed it, but it has got some phenomenal songs. The 'first two/last two are great, everything else is average' mentality is simply that of people who are impatient with unfamiliar songs...both Flash of the Blade and Back In The Village are as good as Aces High and Powerslave, in my book, and The Duellists and Losfer Words are both very worthy Maiden songs, as well. Overall, I'd give it around a 9.2.
----
19.07.2007 - 07:16
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
I think this is a great album. Not perfect, but very enjoyable.
20.07.2007 - 04:49
HELLilac

I think the rating is a bit to generous considering it suffers from inconsistentcy. There're some lengendary tunes here (Aces high, Powerslave ect) but the entire album doesn't flow that well thanks to a few fillers.

I'd give it between 8.5- 9.
----
AS SOON AS YOU'RE BORN, YOU'RE DYING..
18.03.2008 - 05:18
Samuel550
Account deleted
Fillers? What? Flash of a Blade and The Deullist are far from filler. And if they are, then there great fillers. I believe those two songs stand out cause they have some of Bruce's highest vocal pitches ever.
04.04.2008 - 15:29
Plaguebearer

Written by HELLilac on 20.07.2007 at 04:49

I think the rating is a bit to generous considering it suffers from inconsistentcy. There're some lengendary tunes here (Aces high, Powerslave ect) but the entire album doesn't flow that well thanks to a few fillers.

I'd give it between 8.5- 9.

I'm gonna have to agree with you man. Sorry for crapping on everyone who loves this album but I don't think its the best album of all time, nor the best iron maiden album of all time. Don't get me wrong, this CD has some kick ass songs on it (Aces High happens to be my favourite Iron Maiden song of all time), but I really was not impressed with the rest of this album. It can't compare, for me, with some of their other work.
04.04.2008 - 16:33
Warman
Erotic Stains
Iron Maiden's most overrated album IMO. It's great, but they've released so much better! Track 1-2 and 7-8 are amazing, the ones between are like "what?"
----
05.04.2008 - 07:38
Rating: 10
IronBlackZepp

This is one of the best metal albums in my opinion. The reason its not the absolute best is because all of the maiden albums from Number of the Beast through Seventh Son are equally great, and in my opinion all perfect albums. So I guess they are all my favorite metal albums. Brave New World is up there too.
16.04.2008 - 10:13
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted

doesnt matter if they used someone else's riffs.i have to say that im not Iron Maiden's fan but its so funny to say that this album is bad cause they used riffs of MF at one song.so why this song is classic ? u think that noone knows about MF but u? u think u know MF now(06.11.2006 at 23:32), but Iron Maiden didnt know them? sure they knew them and if they used somthing, its not a wrong thing! r u sure that MF invented that riff ? its the way of the rock.if u want to say that a band is pure and didnt use anyones solo's,rifft or ... its so wrong. in my opnion the important thing is that this album is good and we dont need to proof anything about this album its clear that this album is great.

this album deserves 8.5 to 9
(Doesnt matter what u see or into it what u read/ u can do it ur own way if its done it how i say )
16.04.2008 - 10:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 16.04.2008 at 10:13

doesnt matter if they used someone else's riffs.i have to say that im not Iron Maiden's fan but its so funny to say that this album is bad cause they used riffs of MF at one song.so why this song is classic ? u think that noone knows about MF but u? u think u know MF now(06.11.2006 at 23:32), but Iron Maiden didnt know them? sure they knew them and if they used somthing, its not a wrong thing! r u sure that MF invented that riff ? its the way of the rock.if u want to say that a band is pure and didnt use anyones solo's,rifft or ... its so wrong. in my opnion the important thing is that this album is good and we dont need to proof anything about this album its clear that this album is great.

(Doesnt matter what u see or into it what u read/ u can do it ur own way if its done it how i say )

Where did I say that I thought this album is bad? Where did I say that non-one except me knows Mercyful Fate? Where did I say that Iron Maiden didn't know MF? (cause I said it is plausible that they did know MF all the way back in 1982/83)
And what do you mean by "u think u know MF now(06.11.2006 at 23:32),"? Just to set things straight the first time I heard Mercyful Fate was in January 1983
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.04.2008 - 10:56
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.04.2008 at 10:49

Written by Guest on 16.04.2008 at 10:13

Where did I say that I thought this album is bad? Where did I say that non-one except me knows Mercyful Fate? Where did I say that Iron Maiden didn't know MF? (cause I said it is plausible that they did know MF all the way back in 1982/83)
And what do you mean by "u think u know MF now(06.11.2006 at 23:32),"? Just to set things straight the first time I heard Mercyful Fate was in January 1983

sorry i had to add this : "pyroleprechaun - 06.11.2006 at 23:32" who have started the scenario!
10.06.2008 - 04:32
ICSVortex
Account deleted
This is definately one of my favorite Maiden albums, however I haven't even purchased it yet (borrowed it from a friend of mine a while back) All great songs in my opinion, but Aces High and Rime Of The Ancient Mariner definately take it.
10.06.2008 - 10:52
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Oh wow, this is definately one of the best albums ever recorded. i love every single song and Losfer Words is so underrated.

I would have to say "powerslave" is probably my favourite song along with the rime of the ancient mariner which is such a fun, complex song with some of the best lyrics i've read.

Aces high and 2 minutes are hits but I think the ones i mentioned before are better. I would also like to say that "back in the village" is a very good song indeed and I'm surprised people call it a filler.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
11.06.2008 - 17:44
VPeter

a very boring album, but then again it is Heavy Metal and most Heavy metal is boring.
the only 2 songs I find okay are "powerslave" and "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner"
the rest is soulless stuff without any feeling or heart.
13.06.2008 - 22:39
Samuel550
Account deleted
Written by VPeter on 11.06.2008 at 17:44

a very boring album, but then again it is Heavy Metal and most Heavy metal is boring.

Please fuck off and go put on a White Stripes CD or something and leave Heavy Metal for the real listeners, especially regarding classic albums like this.

Peasant.
13.06.2008 - 23:27
VPeter

Written by Guest on 13.06.2008 at 22:39

Please fuck off and go put on a White Stripes CD or something and leave Heavy Metal for the real listeners, especially regarding classic albums like this.

Peasant.

HAHAHAHHAHA oh man how I love these kind of responses especially the for "real" listeners part,. sorry for you bud but I regard this album not as a classic but as a boring overated album and oh yeah I don't listen to the White Stripes.
14.06.2008 - 09:52
Samuel550
Account deleted
Written by VPeter on 13.06.2008 at 23:27

Written by Guest on 13.06.2008 at 22:39

Peasant.

HAHAHAHHAHA oh man how I love these kind of responses especially the for "real" listeners part,. sorry for you bud but I regard this album not as a classic but as a boring overated album and oh yeah I don't listen to the White Stripes.

lol way to show sarcasm, and I regard you as a poor little maggot who obviously doesn't have enough intelligence to decipher Heavy Metal or classic albums like this. Weather a peasant like you regards this album as a classic is irrelevant.

Now once again, fuck off and leave Heavy Metal to the real listeners if your too dumb or scared to understand it, and you can deny listening to the White Stripes all you want lol.

I so enjoy making fun of panzies who dont like Metal .
14.06.2008 - 14:08
VPeter

lol I heard enough, I allready knew from your first reply that you are an Iron Maiden fundie.
I feel sorry for you close minded chaps, I really do.
this the last post to you, because I know your kind.

Hits total: 16449 | This month: 18