Metal Storm logo
My Dying Bride

Original post

Posted by Detric, 18.05.2006 - 22:35
What do you guys think of these guys? I had a hard time getting into them, but I finally gave them a chance, and I thought they were pretty good. So I went out and bought Turn Loose The Swans and Like Gods Of The Sun, both amazing doom albums, one of the best ive ever heard. Which album(s) should I buy next? And are there any albums I should just avoid? Thanks alot.
27.06.2007 - 21:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 27.06.2007 at 21:42

My Dying Bride is one of my favourite bands ever. I started listening to them in 2004/2005, when I bought 'Songs of Darkness, Words of Light'. I was too young to 'understand' their music and I didn't like them too much. But, right now, I like their sound and all they releases, even '34.788%...Complete' that most of fans hate it.

Sometimes even I donty understand what Aron try to say in lyrics
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.07.2007 - 05:47
CreativeAngels
Account deleted
good muic, got a ew of their alumbs i love them but it takes some time for people to get into if u not into the whole doom feeling
05.07.2007 - 09:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 05.07.2007 at 05:47

good muic, got a ew of their alumbs i love them but it takes some time for people to get into if u not into the whole doom feeling

I agree about it only real doomsters can understand feelings and lyrics but not always
----

apos;'
[image]
05.07.2007 - 23:04
OneWithMisery
Is it only me who thinks that they are sadly just not a "live" band? IMO they sound awesome on the cd, I reaaaaally like their stuff, but seing them live..just didn't get to me..To be honest I'm a big fan of Aaron's voice-on cd's, he just didn't made an impression on me live...maybe he just had a bad day
----
Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'till it goes CLICK!
05.07.2007 - 23:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by OneWithMisery on 05.07.2007 at 23:04

Is it only me who thinks that they are sadly just not a "live" band? IMO they sound awesome on the cd, I reaaaaally like their stuff, but seing them live..just didn't get to me..To be honest I'm a big fan of Aaron's voice-on cd's, he just didn't made an impression on me live...maybe he just had a bad day

Ye syou'r only one
Because live thay are good quality band and doom metal are hard to understand and play live too
----

apos;'
[image]
05.07.2007 - 23:17
OneWithMisery
Written by Bad English on 05.07.2007 at 23:07

Ye syou'r only one
Because live thay are good quality band and doom metal are hard to understand and play live too

I didn't say that they weren't good musically, I simply said that Aarons voice wasn't as I expected to be, since I'm listening to them since like forever and am actually a big fan of them! And I also never said that doom was easy to play, but Aaron has a very unique and amazing voice on cd's, I was expecting to hear a great performance live from him, too. Gosh, you really have to read more carefully...
----
Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'till it goes CLICK!
05.07.2007 - 23:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by OneWithMisery on 05.07.2007 at 23:17

Ye syou'r only one

I didn't say that they weren't good musically, I simply said that Aarons voice wasn't as I expected to be, since I'm listening to them since like forever and am actually a big fan of them! And I also never said that doom was easy to play, but Aaron has a very unique and amazing voice on cd's, I was expecting to hear a great performance live from him, too. Gosh, you really have to read more carefully...

lol I shood drink less
I know but such type of vocals is hard to singed live, im not expsrt in vocals but what he made in studio its hard to do in live, so and he sint so yong anymore
----

apos;'
[image]
05.07.2007 - 23:39
OneWithMisery
Written by Bad English on 05.07.2007 at 23:23

Written by OneWithMisery on 05.07.2007 at 23:17

Ye syou'r only one

lol I shood drink less
I know but such type of vocals is hard to singed live, im not expsrt in vocals but what he made in studio its hard to do in live, so and he sint so yong anymore

I know, and that's why I'm saying that musically they still rock live, but normally you expect the vocals to sound good too, you know. Well it's not like he totally sucked, not at all, he just didn't get a couple of notes That's the only problem here, like I said, I'm a big fan, and respect to them... But I don't think that it has anything to do with his age though, I mean, Matt Barlow isn't so young either, but he still sings even better live... Well anyway, I personally prefer to listen to MDB at home on my cd player. Only my opinion.
----
05.07.2007 - 23:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by OneWithMisery on 05.07.2007 at 23:39

I know, and that's why I'm saying that musically they still rock live, but normally you expect the vocals to sound good too, you know. Well it's not like he totally sucked, not at all, he just didn't get a couple of notes That's the only problem here, like I said, I'm a big fan, and respect to them... But I don't think that it has anything to do with his age though, I mean, Matt Barlow isn't so young either, but he still sings even better live... Well anyway, I personally prefer to listen to MDB at home on my cd player. Only my opinion.

Ozzy are old to and his Voice are like in age 20
I agree I havnt seen them live, I had line CD and I like itv and Im huge fan of band too
----

apos;'
[image]
05.07.2007 - 23:47
OneWithMisery
Written by Bad English on 05.07.2007 at 23:42

Written by OneWithMisery on 05.07.2007 at 23:39

Ozzy are old to and his Voice are like in age 20
I agree I havnt seen them live, I had line CD and I like itv and Im huge fan of band too

Well I have seen them live, and since I think that on cd's they sound so amazing, I was kind of dissapointed, yeah, But it was still a good concert, though...although I think that from now on I'll stick to their cd's
----
10.07.2007 - 23:28
Doomblake
Account deleted
I have seen My Dying Bride at La Locomotive in Paris and the gig was really fantastic, even if there were some sounds problems for The Whore The Cook & The Mother... But, it's not the fault of the band.
Aaron was talkative and sympathic with the public. (There wasn't a lot of people... I was astonished.)
Their set was extremely impressive and by the way, very sad.

So, I disagree with your points of view, and I don't think we go to a concert to listen to the same thing which is on a cd. But it's just my opinion.

As a matter of fact, I've seen them live for the first time so, perhaps I'm not really objective !:-X
11.07.2007 - 19:23
Black Winter
unfortunately i've never been to one of their concerts, but some stuff online aren't so impressive..i don't know if i will stick to their CDs either coz the last one was a huge disappointment for me, nothing near the early works of the band.
----
Once the people decides to live, destiny will definetly obey..

T u n i s i a F r e e !
12.07.2007 - 22:01
Tony Harrison
I have no arms..
Written by Black Winter on 11.07.2007 at 19:23

unfortunately i've never been to one of their concerts, but some stuff online aren't so impressive..i don't know if i will stick to their CDs either coz the last one was a huge disappointment for me, nothing near the early works of the band.

Yeah the last couple have been quite a dissappointment, 'The Dreadful Hours' was the last one I really enjoyed. The good thing about getting the chance to see them live though is they'll bring out the classics which are mainly off their first few albums like 'the cry of mankind'. Also, 'The Fever Sea' is a particular crowd pleaser for the finishing song!
----
This is an outrage...
17.07.2007 - 08:55
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff

Well, I have not seen them live (as they haven't toured the US in several years that I know of), but have heard their live disc Voice Of The Wretched as well as seen several clips, and I also haven't been much impressed with their stage presence. Musically everything seemed okay, but something seems to be missing from the sound of the sttudio recordings... and I think it's that Aaron's voice is just so much better in the studio in my opinion. So no, you are not alone on this one
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
17.07.2007 - 09:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Jason W. on 17.07.2007 at 08:55

Well, I have not seen them live (as they haven't toured the US in several years that I know of), but have heard their live disc Voice Of The Wretched as well as seen several clips, and I also haven't been much impressed with their stage presence. Musically everything seemed okay, but something seems to be missing from the sound of the sttudio recordings... and I think it's that Aaron's voice is just so much better in the studio in my opinion. So no, you are not alone on this one

me to, tahy havnt been here and wont been probobly but my friend saw them in Metalmainia and thaycwas good maybe not live band, but I listen Iron Maiden 'Death on the Road' and iMO quality are same like My dying Bride live because bands can not do live how in studio and those big bands thay play life

PS BLS and OZZY are werry good live
----

apos;'
[image]
15.10.2007 - 12:54
Esoptron
Account deleted
My Dying Bride are one of the creators of the Doom/Death metal style and even if they changed their style in some albums like 34.788%... Complete they have always had a unique sound dived inside really heavy doom(not with the traditional doom meaning)and depressing feelings along with anger...Their album Turn Loose the Swans is really one of their best releases and for sure on of the best one of the historical albums in Doom/Death(although you can find some gothic aisthetic inside)Then comes another monument under the name The Angel and The Dark River...I dont have words to describe the glory of these albums...I dont want to mention every album because i dont think that this is the point...

In a few words they are one of the most important and influential bands in Doom metal(Doom/Death to be accurate in genre)and have offered great albums...It is pitty though they dont tour very often...Some friends of mine were lucky and saw them in Rockwave festival this summer and were really impressed...That's all,if you haven't heard of them and you are into doom metal(of all doom kinds)then check them,you will not be disappointed
16.10.2007 - 23:32
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
For some reason I used to think that I didn't like this band, but I saw Songs of Darkness, Words of Light in the used section of a CD store and decided to give them a chance. I don't know what I like better, the music or the free magnet and poster that came with it lol. Yes, it came with a refrigerator magnet. lol

I'm impressed with it though, and I think I'm going to try and get more of this band's music.
17.10.2007 - 00:10
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Their music is for the patient metal listeners because it goes into all these strange directions and you have to really give it time...I find that My Dying Bride is fun music to get stoned and listen to because yes, their music is pretty trippy at times...not their earlier stuff, but what they matured into...
17.10.2007 - 00:18
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 17.10.2007 at 00:10

Their music is for the patient metal listeners.

Yeah, that's exactly why it took me so long to get into them. You have to really listen to a full album before you can appreciate them, and since I'm used to 45 second grindcore songs, it took me a while before I decided to sit down and check them out.
19.10.2007 - 02:41
TDFX
Over the years I have both loved and hated them, but kept coming back to listen to them anyways. They definitely have quite a few absolute masterpieces and some of their songs are just beyond me I guess. I wonder if they ever decide to tour in the US...Hmmm wishful thinking right there. ;-)
----
Last.fm
19.10.2007 - 03:05
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Well...they have material that you can love and material that you can hate...they've put out quite a random collection of ever changing material over the years and it seems to me like they haven't really been able to agree on a style...
19.10.2007 - 06:03
TDFX
Written by Guest on 19.10.2007 at 03:05

Well...they have material that you can love and material that you can hate...they've put out quite a random collection of ever changing material over the years and it seems to me like they haven't really been able to agree on a style...

That's actually a very good point. That's probably why listening to them never really gets boring, because there's always something different on every album. At least that's my perception.
----
Last.fm
21.10.2007 - 04:56
O p e t h
Account deleted
i like this band but aron's action on the scene live makes me sometimes laugh
21.10.2007 - 14:00
Ernis
狼獾
Now I finally listened to the newest work of theirs....I need to get used to it more but so far it seems to me that the last album "Songs Of Darkness, Words Of Light" was better....
21.10.2007 - 14:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 21.10.2007 at 14:00

Now I finally listened to the newest work of theirs....I need to get used to it more but so far it seems to me that the last album "Songs Of Darkness, Words Of Light" was better....

All albums are good man, realy all only % stuff are no good, to much gothic but new album seems thay are like in roots
----

apos;'
[image]
04.02.2008 - 12:01
MadameDoom
Account deleted
Probably the ONLY thing that annoys me about MDB is the fact they have so many "Best Of/Compilation" albums out, like the Anti-Diluvian Chronicles, The Stories boxset, Meisterwerk I and II and Trinity.
I mean sure, there's probably bunches of extra stuff on there... but I don't see the point of constantly buying compilation albums that have songs that I have on the other cds and compilations.

2 amusing things however.

Number 1: I remember a while ago reading a review on the live album "The Voice of the Wretched" recorded live in the Netherlands in 2001.
The reviewer marked it low because it sounded EXACTLY like the album.
Uh. Isn't that what they're supposed to do when they play live???

See it here: http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,1684392,00.html

Number 2: Martin Powell in the dvd "For Darkest Eyes".
You're probably wondering why?
I find it amusing to see a violin player try to headband WHILE playing violin
04.02.2008 - 22:38
Warman
Erotic Stains
Well, if it sounds EXACTLY like the album I'd be pretty dissapointed... then it's like buying a compilation or another copy of an album you already own.
----
06.02.2008 - 20:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Heheeh look Motorhead , Judas Priest or Metallica discography you will see a lot of 'BEST OF' albums

this band
The Stories Boxed set, 1994

Trinity Best of/Compilation, 1995

Meisterwerk 1 Best of/Compilation, 2000
Meisterwerk 2 Best of/Compilation, 2001

and Anti-Diluvian Chronicles Best of/Compilation, 2005

Its all
----

apos;'
[image]
12.04.2008 - 13:17
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
My Dying Bride is a black sabbath for new wave of doom metal i like their albums but i can say that their % album is not really good but it has great lyrics

there is nothing bad at that album but its not a doom metal album - i think thats why fans dont like it
12.04.2008 - 13:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 12.04.2008 at 13:17

My Dying Bride is a black sabbath for new wave of doom metal i like their albums but i can say that their % album is not really good but it has great lyrics

there is nothing bad at that album but its not a doom metal album - i think thats why fans dont like it

what Its death/doom and death/doom are DOOM
----

apos;'
[image]