Metal Storm logo
The Anti-Christian Extreme Metal band you respect the most, and why?

Original post

Posted by Darth Satanious, 12.05.2012 - 21:21
As the thread title states, which Anti-Christian band you respect the most and why? Reasons may range from the way they convey the message or even by reasons that do not have anything to do with Anti-Christianity at all and just simply because you respect them as musicians, people, or whatever reason may be.

If you agree with their stance, mention the band you respect the most. If you do not agree with Anti-Christianity but still there is a band you respect that has the message, mention them and the reason why you respect them.

Be understood as Anti-Christian those bands whose lyrics portray a message against Christianity (Satanic bands count) or a band whose members have voiced their rejection against Christianity in one way or another.
13.05.2014 - 16:50
Gonzo666
Account deleted
Easy answer....Grand Belial's Key
13.05.2014 - 22:37
Sean 79

Written by Guest on 13.05.2014 at 16:50

I don't respect bands, I listen to them. I certainly wouldn't respect NS bands.
13.05.2014 - 23:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by toxx on 08.05.2014 at 08:35

Most of the Norwegian BM bands that had this anti-christian, satanic theme going before, has changed a bit over the years. Still anti religion, but less "Kill the christian, burn the church" in their lyrics. There is a significant change of mentality as most of the bands that were started in the eighties/nineties now consist of grown ups But I have to respect them for growing up though. When I was 16-17 I thought it was pretty badass to memorize all these extremely hostile anti-christian lyrics, but now I prefer more reflected and well-written lyrics that are still anti-religious.

I would have to say Behemoth.

getting older ... more anti anti social, more politive in way thats cani society accept metalhead, being in a band is good m no matter wehat unless you're not nazie and dont pratice ''niger hunt'' as Jon did from Dissection and not try to burn sometning .... and seems Braivik shit seems metalheads try keep away and wanna be more polite as they can
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.05.2014 - 08:12
toxx
Supreme being
Written by Bad English on 13.05.2014 at 23:16

getting older ... more anti anti social, more politive in way thats cani society accept metalhead, being in a band is good m no matter wehat unless you're not nazie and dont pratice ''niger hunt'' as Jon did from Dissection and not try to burn sometning .... and seems Braivik shit seems metalheads try keep away and wanna be more polite as they can

I don't think that Breivik has anything to do with the lyrical themes of norwegian BM bands, if that's what you're trying to say? Hoest was actually criticised for one line of lyrics in his song "Orkan", from the Taake album "Noregs Vaapen". A tad anti-islam. But the lyrics of the same song are also anti-christian, but that didn't seem to matter. Pretty weird here in Norway. It's generally accepted to make fun of and mock christianity, but you can't say a word about muslims and jews without being labeled as a racist.
14.05.2014 - 11:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by toxx on 14.05.2014 at 08:12

Written by Bad English on 13.05.2014 at 23:16

I don't think that Breivik has anything to do with the lyrical themes of norwegian BM bands, if that's what you're trying to say? Hoest was actually criticised for one line of lyrics in his song "Orkan", from the Taake album "Noregs Vaapen". A tad anti-islam. But the lyrics of the same song are also anti-christian, but that didn't seem to matter. Pretty weird here in Norway. It's generally accepted to make fun of and mock christianity, but you can't say a word about muslims and jews without being labeled as a racist.

thats the stupoidest point you can insult christianity, they also can, we insult their religion we are racists .... stupidity, Europian tolanarnce in sime way are week...what happen whit viking warriors what can brake a skull whit axe ..
society changes, new bands are not so agresive, older are older LOL
----

apos;'
[image]
14.05.2014 - 16:03
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by toxx on 14.05.2014 at 08:12

It's generally accepted to make fun of and mock christianity, but you can't say a word about muslims and jews without being labeled as a racist.

Ha, this is so true. I wonder why the difference?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
14.05.2014 - 18:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Karlabos on 14.05.2014 at 16:03
Ha, this is so true. I wonder why the difference?

Well in the case of Jews it has to do with the fact it's an ethnoreligious group.

Not sure if this applies to Muslims.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.05.2014 - 18:45
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.05.2014 at 18:06
Not sure if this applies to Muslims.

It doesn't... Or at least it shouldn't. You can find native muslims in Africa and Asia. So its not only the Middle East.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.05.2014 - 18:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.05.2014 at 18:45
It doesn't... Or at least it shouldn't. You can find native muslims in Africa and Asia. So its not only the Middle East.

Sounds like a typical case of people being overly culturally sensitive. It's the same thing in Canada (and I'm sure in the States as well). Mock Christianity, everyone laughs. Mock Islam, people threaten to blow up your family.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.05.2014 - 18:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I make jew jokes all the time. Jokes about muslims though, yeah, not got onto that just yet.
15.05.2014 - 08:57
toxx
Supreme being
Written by Guest on 14.05.2014 at 18:52

I make jew jokes all the time. Jokes about muslims though, yeah, not got onto that just yet.

When it comes to the events during WWII, I don't joke. I generally don't joke about genocide.

But the sometimes cruel and sickening actions of people that uses some holy book to justify it, deserves some shit thrown at them through metal lyrics. But anti-jew lyrics is a bit too nazi. I don't think you'll find such lyrics if it's not some NS band who wrote them.

I can understand that the lyrical themes from norwegian bands have less anti-christianity stuff in them. The norwegian church has virtually no power at all, so there's really nothing to make a statement against anymore.
15.05.2014 - 20:53
Gonzo666
Account deleted
Written by Sean 79 on 13.05.2014 at 22:37

Written by Guest on 13.05.2014 at 16:50

I don't respect bands, I listen to them. I certainly wouldn't respect NS bands.

Why wouldn't you? Do you like Burzum even though Varg has those beliefs? There's nothing NS actually in the music.
15.05.2014 - 21:39
Sean 79

Written by Guest on 15.05.2014 at 20:53

Why wouldn't you? Do you like Burzum even though Varg has those beliefs? There's nothing NS actually in the music.

I like some of his music i don't respect the man. He's a dick, as is anyone with NS beliefs. I'm not even sure if Varg is a nazi.
15.05.2014 - 21:58
Gonzo666
Account deleted
Written by Sean 79 on 15.05.2014 at 21:39

I like some of his music i don't respect the man. He's a dick, as is anyone with NS beliefs. I'm not even sure if Varg is a nazi.

Real paganism is aryan. When it gets down to the core...those themes aren't Nazi. Most people who hear the whole aryan pride thing assume it's about being a nazi. NS if fucking ridiculous, I couldn't agree more. Luckily Grand Belial's Key isn't one of those.
15.05.2014 - 22:53
Sean 79

Written by Guest on 15.05.2014 at 21:58

Real paganism is aryan. When it gets down to the core...those themes aren't Nazi. Most people who hear the whole aryan pride thing assume it's about being a nazi. NS if fucking ridiculous, I couldn't agree more. Luckily Grand Belial's Key isn't one of those.

Its all ridiculous aryanism,NS, just racism in general. Anyone who thinks their better than another because of colour of their skin or where they born
, is a dick. I just don't get it.
15.05.2014 - 23:08
Gonzo666
Account deleted
Written by Sean 79 on 15.05.2014 at 22:53

Its all ridiculous aryanism,NS, just racism in general. Anyone who thinks their better than another because of colour of their skin or where they born
, is a dick. I just don't get it.

Being aryan has nothing to do with racism initially. I'm agreeing with you, racism is fucking ridiculous. But it's incredibly and I mean incredibly common these days. Especially in the US.
16.05.2014 - 01:49
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
If no one's mentioned them already (to which I'd be surprised), I gotta go with Deathspell Omega. Haven't found any other band that takes to the anti-Christian agenda in such a sophisticated, intellectual manner. Reading along to their lyrics while listening to the music is truly an enlightening experience.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
16.05.2014 - 03:10
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Auntie Sahar on 16.05.2014 at 01:49

If no one's mentioned them already (to which I'd be surprised), I gotta go with Deathspell Omega. Haven't found any other band that takes to the anti-Christian agenda in such a sophisticated, intellectual manner. Reading along to their lyrics while listening to the music is truly an enlightening experience.

DSO are definitely among the few interesting anti-Christian bands.... I placed my vote for the Meads, but if anyone is interested in moar DSO-type lyrics of stuff I recommend Fides Inversa (only one album out, but another one coming soon).
16.05.2014 - 03:17
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Vombatus on 16.05.2014 at 03:10

I placed my vote for the Meads

How on Earth are the Meads anti-Christian?
If you're going by "The Murder Of Jesus The Jew," that album's not at all anti-Christian, and the band never have been. They explore the themes of early Christianity and Judaism. No more, no less. And as far as "Jew Killer" is concerned, the song is about Pontius Pilate, it's not outright anti-Jewish.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
16.05.2014 - 04:18
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Auntie Sahar on 16.05.2014 at 03:17

How on Earth are the Meads anti-Christian?
If you're going by "The Murder Of Jesus The Jew," that album's not at all anti-Christian, and the band never have been. They explore the themes of early Christianity and Judaism. No more, no less. And as far as "Jew Killer" is concerned, the song is about Pontius Pilate, it's not outright anti-Jewish.

They explore History, Christianity, Islam and Judaism themes, true. They are not the typical BM kind of screaming blasphemies like idiots indeed.... but they do base their lyrics around Bible apocrypha and denouncing the evils of religion (mostly Christianity).

Throughout their discography there is mockery/denial/denouncing against Christianity.... like the epic ending speech of Aborted Stygian Foetus ( "Lighthouses are far more useful than churches. Amen!" ) or the interlude on Addicted To God among many others.... And not only Christianity, but also Judaism and Islam. Except everything is done with lots of irony, through stories and character acting (like the numerous occasions where an off voice "represents" God) and similar...

I'm sure you are aware of Metatron's Codex, and when reading it, I can't say this guy is simply exporing the story about Christianity or Judaism... True, there is some of that but the amount of denial and aversion towards Christianity is incredibly palpable all along. It's a if there was a need to dissassemble any Christian fabrication and expose an alternative version... As Metatron says about tMoJtJ: This is of course my opinion and my version of the very real story of a man made God by they who never even knew him.

Also, the Satan-reference that is almost omnipresent in other anti-Christian bands is absent with The Meads, which makes them very different from the rest... and harder to seize in that aspect.
16.05.2014 - 05:37
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Vombatus on 16.05.2014 at 04:18

Everything is done with lots of irony, through stories and character acting (like the numerous occasions where an off voice "represents" God) and similar...
Also, the Satan-reference that is almost omnipresent in other anti-Christian bands is absent with The Meads, which makes them very different from the rest... and harder to seize in that aspect.

Indeed, but that's what makes the Meads really tough to call. I'm a huge fanboy, have every release actually, and even I can't really say whether or not Metatron is just exploring Christianity from his own perspective and mocking some of its cliches, or is outright opposed to it. I'd like to think it's more of the former case though. It's one thing to make fun of something, it's another to outright denounce it and blatantly stand opposed to it. As far as the Meads are concerned, it seems to be more of that first one. And a lot of it just comes from that ironic British black humor, I mean a lot of times when I listen to them I can't help but feel like I'm listening to a black metal version of Monty Python
----

~ II. VII
16.05.2014 - 08:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
The Meads are unquestionably anti-Christian, at least in the organised sense (and I don't think Metatron thinks too highly of personal, spiritual beliefs from that perspective either, though that's just my personal perception). I've never seen any ambiguity in that fact and don't really see how someone could think otherwise as the evidence is pretty overwhelming. I believe it's very much pro (ish) Jesus / Yeshua as a man (not as a God) / Jews / semites, but anti-Christian. He's been recorded as saying that he's not against the individual's right to believe in something, but that he has the right to denounce it all the same:

"Faith is blind and although we respect any one's right to believe in whatever, our right to contest such must be upheld. Christianity, like all religions, is built on primitive theology... I cannot believe a being (God?) that can create a universe would really bother manipulating a creature as fragile as ourselves. Why would a supreme being even contemplate a Son in Human form to endure the savagery of a supposed creation that is at odds with the rest? It would be like a brain surgeon torturing ants on a lazy afternoon... no point to none of it."

I've never found The Meads to be a particularly humour-oriented band either. I think Metatron is clearly very serious about his work (one tends to be pretty serious when they spend years on a 60,000 word codex, which he certainly didn't write for giggles). At the same time though I believe he's very aware of the entertainment value of the Meads, so I believe he's quite concious about being well received, by the right people, from a musical perspective. I don't think that equates to him wanting the band to be a comedy band or anything like that though, just that he wishes to strike a balance between message and entertainment, which includes using some dark humour. I don't believe his motives are exploration based as such, more about exposure of the injustices of the church and analysing the myth behind it and establishing realistic, secular ideas about what actually could have happened e.g. Jesus didn't lug an entire cross, rather he could have carried a wooden cross beam perhaps, and so on. So yes, exploration based maybe, but not in a spiritual sense at all. I would go so far as saying he's probably a more devout anti-Christian / anti-religion (organised at least) than most bands that proclaim to be so.

"Yeah, I think I know my Jesus personally. Every one can have their personal take on him, with all the information out there on the "Jesus Engima". You take away the supernatural and you take away faith and you're left with a historical, real Jesus. It's very difficult to embrace that kind of person unless you remove Christianity from the equation. Everyone seems to forget that He was a Jew. It's very difficult to immerse yourself in that First Century, Palestine kind of world and absorb the religion of the day to discover the kind of guy this man was. It has taken me ten years of research and trying to become this person without any Christian twists and turns. Yeah, I think I know him well."

Metatron can be also quoted as saying:

"Richard Dawkins is fantastic, he's a God to me. That man is such a clever guy. I'm pretty much on the Dawkins side of the fence when it comes to analyzing these kind of religious doctrines."

I think that pretty much sums up his position.

Also quite useful:

"Our music is about the roots of anti Semitism, about the Christian church abusing the Jews and basically being an extension of the old Roman Empire that scattered this race across the globe. I am even reading a book at the moment about the Spanish Inquisition and the first page reveals it was formed to rid the Spain of its Jews in the middle ages. Its just a joke, the whole Christian movement, a joke of cruelty and bullshit. The Murder is Jesus the Jew is exactly that, the murder of a Jew by the Romans who made this fellow a God and blamed his own people for his death. Jesus was no doubt a decent human being who loved his people and his people's religion. He despised any non Jew, so to embrace him as Savior of humanity is an insult to us all. Like all illusions of life, You can lead a fool to wisdom, but you can't make him think??? thats all we can do with our music."

So really, his views are based purely on reality and logic from what I can gather, and very much based in human nature and the shit we do, like using religion as a tool to fuck people over. Aside from thinking that there's some decent ethical and moral standpoints in (some of) the Bible, stuff you can base your life on, presumably from a human point of view, there is definitely very little love for Christianity in the Meads of Asphodel. I've known and loved them for nearly 10 years it's always been clear as day to me that Metatron does indeed outright oppose Christianity and that the band is doing far more than simply mocking it:

"I'm not sure how long Christianity can have its grasp on people before people realize that life can be lived without trying to be beholden to some person in the sky that doesn't exist."

---

As for DsO's lyrics, I've never really been a fan outside of their aesthetic value. They tend to be the de facto "intelligent" band people go to in threads like this. People cite it as intelligent but to me it mostly looks like nonsense poetic rambling, which I don't mind so much when taken from that perspective, but I have to wonder how many people going "oh, oh! Deathspell, they're well intelligent" actually understand a single iota of what they're preaching, or are just dazzled by a few Latin phrases. I imagine it probably does have deep meaning but it's too pretentious for me to connect with.
16.05.2014 - 20:14
TPrice

Emperor, by far. Not because of any kind of anti-Christian sentiments, I'm Christian myself, but their music is simply incredible
17.05.2014 - 03:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I also have a lot of love for Akercocke. They go in the polar opposite direction and make a total farce of Satanism (and thus many religions in general) reducing it to pure entertainment, to great effect, even to the point where it's almost like they're indirectly mocking silly Satanic black metal.
17.05.2014 - 14:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 17.05.2014 at 03:34

I also have a lot of love for Akercocke. They go in the polar opposite direction and make a total farce of Satanism (and thus many religions in general) reducing it to pure entertainment, to great effect, even to the point where it's almost like they're indirectly mocking silly Satanic black metal.

that band is example that not all satanist wear denin and black letter jacket .... but suit n tie
----

apos;'
[image]
17.05.2014 - 15:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 17.05.2014 at 14:56

that band is example that not all satanist wear denin and black letter jacket .... but suit n tie

Perhaps representing corporate devilry and lawyers.
17.05.2014 - 16:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 17.05.2014 at 15:45

Written by Bad English on 17.05.2014 at 14:56

Perhaps representing corporate devilry and lawyers.

devil is adovacte, he can get real sick modafuqas out
----

apos;'
[image]
10.07.2014 - 06:57
BlackMilk912

I was just about to say Akercocke. I love the guys' demeanor, watching their videos often makes me wanna liken them to metal's gangster rappers i.e. flashy suits, half naked whores, nice leather couches. Anyone remember the BBC interview they did a few years back about their anti-religious stance?

Burzum can be a pretty polarizing answer here. I'm not an enormous fan (though I do find Filosofem an incredible piece of music) nor do I delve too much into Varg's socio-political rantings but I've always respected his tenacity. You don't go to jail for murder then release countless albums from jail with significant equipment limitations without having some sort of crazy passionate fire within you. The man is an unstoppable force, maniacal douche or not.
----
"Ya know what a shit rope is? Its a rope, covered with shit, that criminals try to hang on to. You see the shit acts like grease. And the more you try to climb up, the harder you try to hang on, the faster you slide down the shit rope...straight to j
10.07.2014 - 22:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by BlackMilk912 on 10.07.2014 at 06:57
Anyone remember the BBC interview they did a few years back about their anti-religious stance?

Do you mean that awful one for an Irish program of some sort where they were ransacked by religious bigoted nutjobs who had no interest in reasonable discussion?
10.07.2014 - 23:13
BlackMilk912

Haha absolutely. Shit was hysterical. From what I remember they just sat there and laughed at everything
----
"Ya know what a shit rope is? Its a rope, covered with shit, that criminals try to hang on to. You see the shit acts like grease. And the more you try to climb up, the harder you try to hang on, the faster you slide down the shit rope...straight to j