Metal Storm logo
Turisas

Original post

Posted by The Alchemist, 07.11.2006 - 22:27
I found 4 topics about this great band, but none to discuss about them

Recently I got their album "Battle Metal" and wow!! what a great music!! I really liked it, the concept is really interesting, perfect atmosphere, great instrumentation.
Why do you think about them?
03.09.2007 - 16:21
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
I've downloaded "Battle Metal" and i liked it a lot (i'm going to buy it together with "The Varangian Way"). Is it better than "Battle Metal"?
05.09.2007 - 06:48
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
@Incinerated
Yes and no. I think its better, they dropped the cheesey trumpet sound and have a very real sounding orchestra programming, making a massive sound to it. Some people prefer Battle Metal because it is less serious, more of a fun feeling behind it, the new one is more serious. Either way its a must have IMO, and if you liked Battle Metal you'll like the Varangian way.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
06.09.2007 - 17:06
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Written by Doc G. on 05.09.2007 at 06:48

@Incinerated
Yes and no. I think its better, they dropped the cheesey trumpet sound and have a very real sounding orchestra programming, making a massive sound to it. Some people prefer Battle Metal because it is less serious, more of a fun feeling behind it, the new one is more serious. Either way its a must have IMO, and if you liked Battle Metal you'll like the Varangian way.

Ok, thanks for the information I'll buy the two albums. I've downloaded "Battle Metal" sometime ago, i think that i won't do the same with "The Varangian Way", because of your informations
06.09.2007 - 18:51
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Unconsecrated on 03.09.2007 at 16:21

I've downloaded "Battle Metal" and i liked it a lot (i'm going to buy it together with "The Varangian Way"). Is it better than "Battle Metal"?

I like Varangian Way much more. Sound is better, atmosphere is fantastic, and production is totally fitting in both. Songs are more matured written, and in some songs I was really carried away on the fields of battles and many other crazy fantasies. You won't regret if you buy this album, I assure you. If you like Battle Metal, and sound like that album in generally, then Varangian Way is just for you. PS I am not working in some CD distribution companies, I won't make any profit, so this is not justa cheap commercial :lo:
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
07.09.2007 - 00:09
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by APOHAKC on 06.09.2007 at 18:51

Written by Unconsecrated on 03.09.2007 at 16:21

and in some songs I was really carried away on the fields of battles and many other crazy fantasies.

but there really isnt any battle songs in The Varangian Way strangely enough (well no songs ABOUT battle, but some with a battle atmosphere I guess.)
----
- George Carlin
07.09.2007 - 16:12
APOHAKC
The Bard
I didn't mean on lyrics, but on atmosphere, guitar riffs with keys all over it and clean vocals, really awesome
----
08.09.2007 - 06:05
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
The new video for the single Rasputin is up on there myspace, its hilarious! Warlord is dressed like some pimp or something (tacky suit, fidora). in fact it could pass off as a rap video if it wasnt for the band dressed like vikings on the stage.
----
- George Carlin
08.09.2007 - 17:51
APOHAKC
The Bard

I saw it, it is good, but somehow stupid...
----
12.09.2007 - 12:09
GT
Coffee!!
Just saw the new video for Rasputin...damn it's funny. A great cover indeed
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
13.09.2007 - 01:37
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
As funny as that vid is it sort of tainted Turisas in a way in my eyes...it was too slick and sparkly for my taste, then again I guess they were trying to get that disco feel to it.
----
- George Carlin
13.09.2007 - 12:28
GT
Coffee!!
@Dr.Rock: it's hard not to make it slick and sparkly when it's a 70's disco cover...slick and sparkly is everything in disco but yeah I see what you mean
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
14.09.2007 - 10:17
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by GT on 13.09.2007 at 12:28

@Dr.Rock: it's hard not to make it slick and sparkly when it's a 70's disco cover...slick and sparkly is everything in disco but yeah I see what you mean

Its not that I dont appreciate the crossover, its that I saw too much Nygard in a Justin Timberlake costum than in his kick ass Turisas battle gear....I guess balance is what im getting at here.
----
- George Carlin
17.09.2007 - 10:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by GT on 12.09.2007 at 12:09

Where are new video
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.09.2007 - 00:41
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Bad English on 17.09.2007 at 10:34

Written by GT on 12.09.2007 at 12:09

Where are new video

Go to the Turisas band profile, then click on the latest news thingy, and theres a link there.
----
- George Carlin
18.09.2007 - 15:39
Baz Anderson

I am just destined to never see this band live - I missed them at Wacken, I missed them a few days ago when they came to Nottingham
oh well, I like the new album a lot but for some reason I am not gutted I didn't get to see them
28.03.2008 - 13:23
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
damn yes...they are so great live...Norther were just funny impotent figures compared to them and their amazing show
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

29.03.2008 - 03:10
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Baz Anderson on 18.09.2007 at 15:39

I am just destined to never see this band live - I missed them at Wacken, I missed them a few days ago when they came to Nottingham
oh well, I like the new album a lot but for some reason I am not gutted I didn't get to see them

They were in Seattle (about an 8 hour drive from where I live). I didn't bother worrying about it too much (even though they are one of my favorite bands) because there steadily growing bigger and bigger, sooner or later there going to be coming to my city. Especially since Metal Hammer Magazine is constantly on there c*ck now. Kind of pisses me off since I'd been listening to them before Metal Hammer was running 4 page specials on them every issue, which kind of killed the allure for me, but at the same time it does bring about good things, like larger world tours.
----
- George Carlin
05.04.2008 - 01:05
Warman
Erotic Stains
Just came home from the Turisas gig. I like them on CD, they're good but nothing special really. But that show was GREAT! Damn they're fun live! Cool that the vocalist knows Swedish too so he could talk our fine language.

The setlist for you interested:

The Dnieper Rapids
To Holmgard and Beyond
A Portage to the Unknown
One More
The Messenger
In the Court of Jarisleif
Sahti-Waari
Miklagard Overture
Rasputin
Battle Metal

+ A lot of solos, improvised stuff and talk
----
05.04.2008 - 02:16
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
@Warman
Great setlist, though if I were them I wouldve left out Dnieper Rapids, and replaced it with something like...I dunno....Rex Regi Rebellis?
----
- George Carlin
05.04.2008 - 02:43
Warman
Erotic Stains
That sure is a better song (although Deniper is great) but the mood was still so great so I didn't mind.
----
05.04.2008 - 02:55
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
@Warman
Are you gonna check out the tour competition just in case you won?
----
- George Carlin
05.04.2008 - 06:00
raislin_87
Account deleted
I really just discovered Turisas about a year ago, and I have been hooked since. In less than I month, I plan on going to see them at Peganfest. I have not seem them live yet, but people only say good things. I can't wait to see Rasputin live; the video is hillarious!
05.04.2008 - 08:26
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
I kinda wished they waited to record Rasputin.
----
- George Carlin
05.04.2008 - 13:32
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Doc G. on 05.04.2008 at 02:55

@Warman
Are you gonna check out the tour competition just in case you won?

Hell yeah I will! I think they got a good shot of me since I stood in the middle front.
----
07.04.2008 - 06:52
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
The Varangian way is one of my favorite viking metal albums. Battle metal was good but nothing compared to the newest.
----
"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire
08.04.2008 - 18:42
Warman
Erotic Stains
Haha, this is so disturbing! For the tour competition they took 3 pictures of the audience, left, right and middle shot. On their website they've only uploaded the right and left!!! I was in the middle front! I think I'm actually right outside the edge on both pictures!
----
08.04.2008 - 23:04
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Ouch, that really sucks. Kind of like the Sebastian Bach video Im only in for a split second.
----
- George Carlin
08.04.2008 - 23:08
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by ItalktotheWind on 07.04.2008 at 06:52
Battle metal was good but nothing compared to the newest.

i agree, but the song Battle Metal alone is their best
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

11.04.2008 - 23:12
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Their last album is amazing, i love the viking metal they do. Actually over here, their music is not very known, but there are a few gauys who love it!
11.04.2008 - 23:42
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Ellrohir on 08.04.2008 at 23:08

Written by ItalktotheWind on 07.04.2008 at 06:52
Battle metal was good but nothing compared to the newest.

i agree, but the song Battle Metal alone is their best

As much as I love that song it is kind of a joke in a way, at least with the new album they got a little more...dynamic with their lyrics? Not sure how else to put it...
----
- George Carlin