Disc II [2012 re-release bonus] [The Light That Brought Darkness]
01. The Light That Brought Darkness
02. Heaven And Hell [Black Sabbath cover]
03. How The Gods Kill [Danzig cover]
04. Hey Hey My My [Neil Young cover]
05. Comfortably Numb [Pink Floyd cover]
06. Man Of Iron [Bathory cover]
07. The Show Must Go On [Queen cover]

Hey hey my my. Doom can never die? Huh. Never thought I'd hear an extreme doom band singing about Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols.

So back to the beginning. Solitude Productions recently re-released HellLight's 2008 release Funeral Doom, originally printed in a now sold-out limited run, packaging it with The Light That Brought Darkness mini album. The mini album features the new title track along with a bunch of doomed-up covers.

For sake of brevity, I'm going to gloss over the re-release a bit. In 2010 the band put out ?And Then, The Light Of Consciousness Became Hell?, which was reviewed by your truly. In order to get to the more interesting stuff, suffice it to say Funeral Doom contains less well constructed and executed songs in the style of their later release. They got better over the ensuing two years, thus making the 2010 release with the ridiculous title a better place to start.

So that leaves the mini album. (Nothing mini about the length, it's almost an hour of music.)

The new opening track shows the same degree of improvement that the band exhibited between Funeral Doom and their 2010 album whose name I refuse to type again. The track is very promising, going through the similar phases and exhibiting the same characteristics I would expect? dark, miserable doom with growled vocals, crushing riffs, and hell-lighting ambience courtesy of some keyboards. They even close "The Light That Brought Darkness" out DragonForce style? with a two minute solo. Nicely done, it shows they are even more refined and it makes me hopeful for their next release.

Finally the covers. Oh my. For starters, it was pretty cool to see an extreme doom act perform doomed-down covers of other metal and rock songs. It was certainly intriguing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. While the music is interesting, particularly Neil Young's "Hey Hey My My" and Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb, the biggest criticism of their prior release was the clean vocals. In the band's natural environment they were used sparingly (and fortunately given the response to the prior review) and they now become the focus.

Dio, Danzig, and David (Gilmour, just wanted to keep the frontman alliteration thing going) are charismatic and great vocalists in their own right, making the comparison not particularly favorable. At times they were passable but at other times flat out awkward.

Still, the tracks make for an intriguing listen, especially because they are pulling from so far out of the band's element. Better a funeral doom act attempting to cover Pink Floyd in some blend of styles rather than just tweaking another song by a far more similar band.

The covers are worth checking out, and if that draws your attention to the band's own material, so much the better.

Written on 16.05.2012 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 87 users
16.05.2012 - 20:45
Götter
How ironic that an album titled "Funeral Doom" isn't really funeral doom style-wise.
16.05.2012 - 20:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Götter on 16.05.2012 at 20:45

How ironic that an album titled "Funeral Doom" isn't really funeral doom style-wise.

Not for the first time either. Dark Metal wasn't really dark metal, and to be honest Black Metal was a pretty shitty excuse of a badly made heavy metal album.
16.05.2012 - 20:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 16.05.2012 at 20:55
Not for the first time either. Dark Metal wasn't really dark metal, and to be honest Black Metal was a pretty shitty excuse of a badly made heavy metal album.

Dismember's Death Metal: the exception.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.05.2012 - 21:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.05.2012 at 20:58

Yeah you can't really go wrong there. There's some more examples of disunity between music and title that are eluding me at this point...

Oh yeah, Throbbing Gristle's '20 Jazz Funk Greats'
16.05.2012 - 21:24
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
Oh my, a doom cover of Hey Hey My My, gotta check this out

EDIT: and it's not bad either. Well, this day has been a surprise.
16.05.2012 - 21:44
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Carl Berg on 16.05.2012 at 21:24

Oh my, a doom cover of Hey Hey My My, gotta check this out

EDIT: and it's not bad either. Well, this day has been a surprise.

that was probably the best of the covers. the original song has a style and structure that lead to an easy conversion.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.05.2012 - 22:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.05.2012 at 20:58

Written by Guest on 16.05.2012 at 20:55

copied that of Possessed's Death Metal
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.05.2012 - 22:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
And of course the biggest misnomer/uck up ever the band Funeral who have shit all to do with funeral doom
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.05.2012 - 00:26
Merchant of Doom

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.05.2012 at 22:39

And of course the biggest misnomer/uck up ever the band Funeral who have shit all to do with funeral doom

lol... but surely they didn't mean to be a Funeral Doom band? They were just called Funeral... pretty apt for a doom band.
17.05.2012 - 00:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Merchant of Doom on 17.05.2012 at 00:26

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.05.2012 at 22:39

lol... but surely they didn't mean to be a Funeral Doom band? They were just called Funeral... pretty apt for a doom band.

Well, I've heard from a lot of people say that the Funeral Doom Metal got its name thanks to the band Funeral... I cringe everytime I read/hear that.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.05.2012 - 00:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yes but funerals were around long before funeral doom so that was a poor example by Marcel Funeral doesn't necessarily to point to funeral doom, the band would have to be called Funeral Doom for that.
17.05.2012 - 12:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

Yes, they did mean that, unfortunately. And last time I talked to them (even though there isn't an original member in the band any more) they still insist on that when they formed they played funeral doom and to a certain extent still play it
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.05.2012 - 13:31
Merchant of Doom

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.05.2012 at 12:41

Yes, they did mean that, unfortunately. And last time I talked to them (even though there isn't an original member in the band any more) they still insist on that when they formed they played funeral doom and to a certain extent still play it

I never considered Funeral a funeral doom band... they might have some elements, but they are (slow) doom/death to me... pretty weird that even the band members think they are a funeral doom band... it might explain why their music is shit...

Hits total: 4404 | This month: 3