05. Night Of A Succubus
06. Close To Katatonia
07. Bless Me Bleeding Angels
08. The Secret Of The Woods
09. Before The Gods
10. Feeding The Angel
11. My Tears
12. Meus Altius Pater Noster

Hailing from Samara Russia, Wine From Tears debuted their first album Through The Eyes of a Mad (a mad what? I have no clue?) back in 2009 via Bad Mood Man Music.

After the intro concluded, I knew immediately what I was in for, and I wasn't disappointed. I have to admit, I'm a huge sucker for this sound. Wine From Tears plays a melodic death/doom metal with a melancholic mood that never lets up (think early Katatonia, early Paradise Lost, Saturnus, Officium Triste, etc). The melodic riffs are the main event here, but they are interspersed with some heavier crunchy sounding riffs as well. Occasionally the tempo picks up and things start to sound more aggressive, although this never seems to draw away from that melancholic mood. I really like the keyboards too, because they don't overshadow the melodic guitar riffs. Instead they supplement them nicely. The bass and drums don't really stick out, and they aren't really anything special. The vocals are mostly well done growls with a few clean vocals thrown into the mix (there are even female vocals on "Feeding the Angel").

Admittedly Through The Eyes of a Mad isn't the most original album out there. This sound has been done quite a few times before; although I think that Wine From Tears did it very well. For some people, it might be too long of a listen (it clocks in at 77 minutes!) and at that length, things can start to sound a little bit repetitive. It probably would have been best to keep it at 60 minutes at most.

So if you like your doom metal to be melodic, melancholic, and a little aggressive look no further than Through The Eyes of a Mad. Heck, even if you are looking to get into doom metal I would say that this album is a great one to start with.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Bloody Rain | 17.05.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 95 users
17.05.2012 - 02:04
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
This is my first review, so I will be glad to hear your constructive feedback.
17.05.2012 - 02:22
omjaimes
omjaimes
Written by Bloody Rain on 17.05.2012 at 02:04

This is my first review, so I will be glad to hear your constructive feedback.

Congratulations, your words made me pay some interest in check out the album, for sure I will do
17.05.2012 - 03:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
The name-dropping was fairly accurate and the description is spot-on. I would maybe throw in some Remembrance or Swallow the Sun references as well, but that's not a requirement by any means. This is some over-the-top melodic death doom with hints of aggression. Good review - hopefully we'll see a few more from you.

As for the album itself, I fell out of love with it after overplaying it the first time I came across it a couple years ago. Once I came back to it and listened more "objectively", I realized it's good for what it is and I'd probably score it just about the same as you - a high 7 or low 8, whereas before I was willing to dub this thing a masterpiece.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.05.2012 - 03:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
The album title is infuriatingly incomplete.
17.05.2012 - 05:01
Rating: 9
Dark Blood
The Avenger
For a first review I'd say you did very good, and your words describe the album pretty well too.

Although I gave it a 9: my inner quest for Doom is at its peak and I've been searching hard for many bands over the last few years, I based my score on the first impact and the basic (still growing) knowledge I have for this genre. Your score is pretty much fairer.

Hope to read more from you. Keep it up!
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
18.05.2012 - 05:28
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
Thanks for all of the feedback! I won't promise anything, but it's likely that I will write a few more reviews in the future.
04.10.2015 - 21:12
Spacerunner

Written by Guest on 17.05.2012 at 03:34

The album title is infuriatingly incomplete.

In Russian adjectives can be easily substantivized. The word "russian" is a great example as it became a noun in English as well. So I guess they meant "through the eyes of a madman".
04.10.2015 - 21:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Spacerunner on 04.10.2015 at 21:12

In Russian adjectives can be easily substantivized. The word "russian" is a great example as it became a noun in English as well. So I guess they meant "through the eyes of a madman".

Oh right, cheers for the heads up! Only took 3 years for someone to reply
04.10.2015 - 21:27
Spacerunner

Written by Guest on 04.10.2015 at 21:21
Oh right, cheers for the heads up! Only took 3 years for someone to reply

Hits total: 4279 | This month: 20