Metal Storm logo
To/Die/For

18.05.2006 - 22:50
Arwen

Yeah...it was for quite a long time there...and now it's gone but old good Arwen will remind you To/Die/For...
I'm sure lots of you know the band...
Marvellous Finnish goth metal with symphonic and speedy vocals of Jape:

The story of To/Die/For began in the early nineties when three guys from Kouvola, Finland formed a rock band called Mary-Ann. Back then founder member Jarno "Jape" Perätalo handled both vocals and guitars while Tonmi Lillman played the drums and Make Kanki played the bass. Over the years Mary-Ann's lineup grew with keyboardist Juska Salminen and guitarists Andy & J-P Sutela, while the bass-playing duties were handed over to Miikka "Sepe" Kuisma. During its existence Mary-Ann released two self-financed CDs, the latter of which, "Deeper Sin", included songs that would eventually end up on the albums of To/Die/For.

For those who already know them I would say : good job... and for those who yet haven't , well then try it out...
IMO they are one of the best representatives of feely gothic metal and their work just have to interest lots of people, especially the vocals cause' there's no such voice other than Jape's

Soooo...Arwen suggests and ofcourse I'm waiting for your opinions
15.07.2006 - 00:53
Lupas
Maximus
I have heard of this band , and is not so bad at all

Sometimes , Jape 's voices is just "unreal " for me. I mean his voice is actually real or just re-masterd???
But still they make good cover versions of great songs
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
16.07.2006 - 19:01
Grindcore

I find this band pretty nice, but it sometimes becomes really boring.Altough the voice is good and so is the instrumental part.I think they should evolve in the creation part.
21.09.2006 - 01:41
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro
To/Die/For are a very good band, on of the few I saw live and they really please me. All their stuff is very great, with a Gothic Metal like only them know how to do. Their latest album "Wounds Wide Open" is as good as the others, with a wonderful song called Liqyid Dies and an amazing cover of Ozzy Osbourne's "(I Just) Want You". Their vocalist has a very good voice, and their guitars and drums are ver fine too, they give a great atmosphere to their songs.
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
22.09.2006 - 05:48
duyhung
Account deleted
I like their music in the first 2 albums, especially in 'All Eternity', it's probably To/Die/For 's best album
22.09.2006 - 10:00
Veeken
Account deleted
I really enjoy to/die/for's music. Intersting vocals and nice melody. All of their albums have good songs on them, some more than others.
18.10.2006 - 10:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I realy enjoy name of band To/Die/For are one of coolest names of band, also lyrics are great and poetical, but music are freezeing, maybe because thaya re from Finland, but i cant listen one album whit out sleeping, I like maybe soem songs and some video from home page its all, but lyrics
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.11.2006 - 09:17
Jason W.
Razorbliss
"IV" is my favorite disc from the band, but each disc has some great tracks The new CD is a bit uninspired in my opinion, and honestly I feel that it's their least interesting release to date, however. It doesn't seem to offer anything that we haven't heard from "IV", and the cover track didn't do much for me at all. I mean, it's not a bad disc by any mreans, but the unique melodies that "IV" offered are simply nonexistent here on "Wounds Wide Open." I think it's just the guitarwork that's not as appealing to me here; I really loved the synth on their previous works and maybe the guitarwork is just not my taste here.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
25.01.2007 - 17:41
QueenMiSeRy
Account deleted
My favourite album is All Eternity.
I like their sound, it's so cold..just as it should be, of course, for every nordic band. This is one of the reason why I love this kind of music. Also the voice is appealing, I don't know why, but I'm attracted by this kind of voices.

For what concerns the last album, Wounds Wide Open, I must quote what dismaleuphony said above.
29.03.2007 - 00:48
Ultraraw
Account deleted
I prefer "All Eternity" over the other albums.I like "IV" too,
it,s beautiful and romantic.
29.03.2007 - 20:22
Bash'
:)
Written by Guest on 29.03.2007 at 05:30

I love Wounds Wide Open but and am surprised that a lot of people don't seem to like it much at all...? Like Never Before is one of the best To/Die/For songs to me.

Man you're

Me too do the same, I liked the song Guilt Ridden State alot alot .. it's last part oh I can't else keep repeating it whenever I reach for it !

Also Scar Diary, The Quiet Room and the cover I Just Want You!!

The album really amazing
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
03.04.2007 - 04:00
APOHAKC
The Bard
I like this band, they are little, I don't know, softy or sweety, but they are so cool, I like their sound, and last album is really good, Iron Maiden cover is also very funny... good band, especially in the morning with hot coffee and TV news....
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
03.04.2007 - 09:27
trendkiller
Account deleted
To/Die/For is pretty nice, yeah. Though lately I haven't been listening to them, well.. at all actually, but there were times when I used to. A lot.
I have three of their albums, the latest I havent heard much but I guess it has something in it. IV is my absolute favourite, there are many great, beautiful songs.

I saw them live last summer. Worked out really fine.
04.04.2007 - 19:39
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I like this band, excellent Suomi metal. I heard "In the heat of the night" and it's a great song, I'm looking forward to get some of their albums
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
12.05.2007 - 12:10
Elodie Artour
Slania
They even played in Sofia,but I don't like their vocal.

EDIT:Actually,they even didn't play in Sofia because of a stupid mess,caused by a Turkish promoter...Nevermind.To Die For made a mistake,too.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
17.07.2007 - 10:12
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Hey, I just wanted to let anyone in the US who was planning on going to the July 27th show in Connecticut (@ The El N Gee), that the venue itself has closed, so obviously there will be no show It seems that this tour with Virgin Black has been filled with as many problems as good times, but thankfully To/Die/For has hopes to come back someday. If you are interested in reading an ridiculously long blog from one of their tour managers on this tour, read the blog titled "I'm Home" on his myspace page here: http://www.myspace.com/brenterwin.

I had just played a 5 song set for the band on my university metal radio show, and someone emailed me saying "Hey, that venue is closed!" Thankfully I did not drive 2 hours to find that out, but still, I am rather disappointed. I never thought the band would tour the US, and now they were so close! Ah well, at least I can order the t-shirt....
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley