Metal Storm logo
The most memorable album of your high school grad year

19.05.2012 - 03:59
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
What's the most memorable album for you from your high school graduation year? For me, it was easily the Red Album by Baroness. 2007, listening to "Rays on Pinion" with the windows down, thinking I owned the road. Feel free to share the ones that were memorable to you.
----
19.05.2012 - 15:00
Edmund Fogg

On that year I discovered Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull wich was freaking amazing. For album released the same year, I would go with either 10 000 Days by Tool or Motorhead's Inferno. I don't remember when I finished highschool. It's all a bit blurry.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
22.05.2012 - 13:37
moe5512

That's this year so, uh, Let's go by Rancid maybe (I'm a disgrace to metal)
26.05.2012 - 17:20
Thrashette

Back in 2009? Kind of a tough call since I listened more to thrash classics and didn't really follow new albums back then... It was probably Hordes of Chaos by Kreator anyways
26.05.2012 - 18:42
Fredd
Account deleted
Metallica - S&M
26.05.2012 - 22:47
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
If I take a look at albums that were released in that year:
- In a negative way: Tristania's Ashes. I anticipated that album so badly and was so disappointed with it when it was released.

- In a positive way: Lacrimosa's Lichtgestalt. Probably the best album from that year and I remember some other albums being released, but Lichtgestalt was one of the albums I listened through and through when it was released and is nowadays still one of album that are very dear to me.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
19.06.2012 - 13:32
arwestromen

2007 I have no idea....I listened to alot of 80's metallica and Maiden back then....ehm yeah, so uhm...yeah
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
19.06.2012 - 16:29
Timmeh
Dudeman
When I think of music and grad year, I remember that damn Black Eyed Peas "I Gotta Feeling", it was played at graduation, formal, every after formal party. It seemed that everywhere I went some group of jock loving princess low IQ overly obsessed with appearance daddy's girls (I'm sure you know the type) had turned the bass to 11 and were blasting it in your face whether you liked it or not.
26.06.2012 - 15:32
Warman
Erotic Stains
2008, let's see. Must've been "Pulver" by Lifelover, even though that one was released a couple of years before my graduation. I played the shit out of that album and it also kinda changed me. So much happened at the same time, not only my graduation but I bought the album, with no idea what it really was. I saw a bad ass album cover and that one of the songs was named "M/S Salmonella", a play on the name "M/S Amorella" which is the boat me and my friends always take when we go on our cruises. Strangely enough, the cruise we took right after I bought the album changed my life forever since I met this girl and she would seem to have a huge impact on my life thereafter...
----
30.06.2012 - 15:57
Numbskull

Wow, I was listening to:

Dio - Last In Line
Grim Reaper - See You In Hell
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith
Metallica - Ride the Lighting
Queensryche - Warning
Ratt - Out of the Cellar
Saxon - Crusader
Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising Force

And, they're all pretty damn memorable; but, I have to say I was really into Ratt my senior year (1984). The music was good and the chicks liked them too. So, it was a win-win.
04.07.2012 - 18:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Warman on 26.06.2012 at 15:32
Strangely enough, the cruise we took right after I bought the album changed my life forever since I met this girl and she would seem to have a huge impact on my life thereafter...

It would have been a major twist if it was the same girl from the cover.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.07.2012 - 19:55
I_Die_Often

Written by Numbskull on 30.06.2012 at 15:57

Wow, I was listening to:

Dio - Last In Line
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Queensryche - Warning
Ratt - Out of the Cellar
Saxon - Crusader

And, they're all pretty damn memorable; but, I have to say I was really into Ratt my senior year (1984). The music was good and the chicks liked them too. So, it was a win-win.

WOW! An old guy like me! I graduated in 1983, I was listening to lots of AC/DC, Sabbath, Ozzy... but the album of '83 was Def Leppards Pyromania.
Me and my buddies played that cassette to death while cruising weekends.
After grad, got into Maiden, Dio, Priest, etc. No hair metal for me.
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
04.07.2012 - 20:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
The ones from 1988 I lstened to and most of them I enjoyed, but was mightily let down by Metallica that year were:

Acrophet - Corrupt Minds
Anthrax - State of Euphoria
Anvil - Pound for Pound
Armored Saint - Saints Will Conquer
Bathory - Blood Fire Death
Blind Guardian - Battalions of Fear
Bolt Thrower - In Battle There Is No Law!
Candlemass - Ancient Dreams
Coroner - Punishment for Decadence
Cryptic Slaughter - Stream of Consciousness
D.R.I. - 4 of a Kind
Danzig - Danzig
Death - Leprosy
Death Angel - Frolic Through the Park
Dokken - Beast from the East
Dr. Know - Wreckage in Flesh
Exodus - Fabulous Disaster
Fates Warning - No Exit
Flotsam and Jetsam - No Place for Disgrace
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part II
Helstar - A distant Thunder
Heretic - Breaking Point
Impelliterri - Stand In Line
Incubus - Serpent Temptation
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
Jason Becker - Perpetual Burn
Judas Priest - Ram It Dowm
King Diamond - Them
King's X - Out Of The Silent Planet
Liege Lord - Master Control
Marty Friedman - Dragon's Kiss
Megadeth - So Far, So Good...So What!
Meliah Rage - Kill to Survive
Metallica - And Justice For All
Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death
Overkill - Under the Influence
Ozzy Osbourne - No Rest For The Wicked
Pestilence - Malleus Maleficarum
Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime
Realm - Endless War
Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis
Sabbat - History of a Time to Come
Sacred Reich - Surf Nicaragua
Saint Vitus - Mournful Cries
Sieges Even - Life Cycle
Slayer - South of Heaven
Soundgarden - Ultramega OK
Stryper - In God We Trust
Suicidal Tendencies - How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can't Even Smile Today
Testament - The New Order
Vicious Rumors - Digital Dictator
Yngwie J. Malmsteen - Odyssey

top 3 of 1988

1. Death - Leprosy
2. Vicious - Digital Dictator
3. Suicidal Tendencies - How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can't Even Smile Today

also listened to a shitload of demos by fledgling death metal bands such as Autopsy, Treblinka, Dr. Shrinker, Grotesque etc and also the Paradise Lost demo
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.07.2012 - 22:03
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by X-Ray Rod on 04.07.2012 at 18:34

It would have been a major twist if it was the same girl from the cover.

If they ever make a movie about my life, that's how it all should occur.
----
05.07.2012 - 00:00
Numbskull

Written by I_Die_Often on 04.07.2012 at 19:55

Wow, I was listening to:

Dio - Last In Line
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Queensryche - Warning
Ratt - Out of the Cellar
Saxon - Crusader

WOW! An old guy like me! I graduated in 1983, I was listening to lots of AC/DC, Sabbath, Ozzy... but the album of '83 was Def Leppards Pyromania.

Well met sir! May I say you have great taste in music! I've been listening to Sabbath since 77' and they are my favorite band. I really got into AC/DC in the late 70's and played the hell out of Back In Black; but, have always preferred the Bon Scott era. I also played the shit out of the first 2 Ozzy albums in the early 80's. I have to admit that I did listen to some Hair-Metal, as it was everywhere. Throughout the 80's, I listened to Heavy-Metal and Thrash at least 95% of the time. Only from time to time would I listen to Hard-Rock or Hair-Metal. The Hard-Rock has held up well over the years ? the Hair-Metal not so much.
05.07.2012 - 00:51
I_Die_Often

Written by Numbskull on 05.07.2012 at 00:00

Written by I_Die_Often on 04.07.2012 at 19:55

Wow, I was listening to:

Dio - Last In Line
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Queensryche - Warning
Ratt - Out of the Cellar
Saxon - Crusader

Well met sir! May I say you have great taste in music! I've been listening to Sabbath since 77' and they are my favorite band. I really got into AC/DC in the late 70's and played the hell out of Back In Black; but, have always preferred the Bon Scott era. I also played the shit out of the first 2 Ozzy albums in the early 80's. I have to admit that I did listen to some Hair-Metal, as it was everywhere. Throughout the 80's, I listened to Heavy-Metal and Thrash at least 95% of the time. Only from time to time would I listen to Hard-Rock or Hair-Metal. The Hard-Rock has held up well over the years ? the Hair-Metal not so much.

Well... I don't listen to much of those anymore, more of a brutal death metal fan now.
I must be becoming bitter as I get older
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
13.07.2012 - 07:05
helofloki

Let's see. Spring 2003, when I graduated, the album I was listening to most that had come out that same year was Damnation by Opeth. The other albums I was obsessing over had come out in 2002 or were by Pain of Salvation... or in the case of Remedy Lane, both.
13.07.2012 - 13:51
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Strangely enough both these albums I can still listen too and I haven't grown out off
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
05.12.2012 - 18:07
Evil Chip

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.07.2012 at 20:23

The ones from 1988 I lstened to and most of them I enjoyed, but was mightily let down by Metallica that year were:

-------------------------

also listened to a shitload of demos by fledgling death metal bands such as Autopsy, Treblinka, Dr. Shrinker, Grotesque etc and also the Paradise Lost demo

How can you remember all that? I'm 21 and I can't distinguish one year from another. Probably was listening to Strapping Young Lad and the album City but I can't tell really.
05.12.2012 - 21:17
Apatheria

Lemme see here, 2005...

2005 wasn't really a memorable year for me as far as albums go. City by Strapping Young Lad and that's about it. I remember being pretty let down by Ghost Reveries, and indeed that was the year I kinda stopped listening to Opeth.

Whereas the following year, five of my all-time favorite albums were released. Go figure.
----
Heavy metal is the law.
06.12.2012 - 04:38
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Still my favorite album ever. The Cure - Disintegration. i graduated in '90, but it was released the first half of my senior year.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.12.2012 - 04:41
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by CobiWan1993 on 06.09.2012 at 22:34

That is a difficult question but here is a list of them (I graduated last summer, so there are some recent albums in here):

Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth, Night at the Opera
Amorphis - Eclipse, Silent Waters, Skyforger, Beginning of Times (all four of Tomi Joutsen releases so far)
Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape, Mercy Falls
Genesis - Trespass
Pain of Salvation - BE
Katatonia - Dance of December Souls, Last Fair Deal Gone Down
Abigail's Ghost - Selling insincerity
Meshuggah - Koloss, Destroy Erase Improve
The Smiths - Louder Than Bombs, Meat is Murder
Depeche Mode - Music for the Masses
Sylvan - Sceneries
Anathema - Weather Systems
Vangelis - Opera Sauvage
Jeff Buckley - Grace

I think that should do...

Either you spent a long time in HS or you missed the point. I listened to the Smiths and Depeche Mode albums while I was in HS before you were born.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.12.2012 - 08:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Evil Chip on 05.12.2012 at 18:07

How can you remember all that? I'm 21 and I can't distinguish one year from another. Probably was listening to Strapping Young Lad and the album City but I can't tell really.

well, simple, looking at my database of stuff I own and setting the filter to my graduation year
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.12.2012 - 09:28
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Anathema - Weather Systems

Listened to that album a lot in the months leading up to my graduation. Great stuff
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
08.12.2012 - 06:01
Evil Chip

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.12.2012 at 08:08

Written by Evil Chip on 05.12.2012 at 18:07

well, simple, looking at my database of stuff I own and setting the filter to my graduation year

Database? You're way ahead of me
08.12.2012 - 15:39
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I was into death metal and thrash and slightly dabbing into progressive metal in 1990. Pro's and Con's:

Pros's : Seeing Rush live on Presto Tour that summer; Listening to Spiritual Healing 1236 times; Being absolutely blown away by Act III and Left Hand Path

Con's : What the fuck kind of Maiden album is this? ; More radio airplay for Empire than any other metal cd EVER; Watching Alice In Chains getting shit thrown at them and booed off the stage on Clash Of Titans tour, how fucking classless and embarrassing.
----
rekt