02. Three Treasures
03. Path To Arcady
04. TOF - The Trinity
05. Chain Of Minerva
06. The Falling Stone
07. Adulruna Rediviva
08. Seven Secrets Of The Sphinx [live] [limited edition bonus]
09. To Mega Therion [live] [limited edition bonus]

I've put off writing about this masterpiece for months. The thought of reviewing an album that I consider an absolute TEN frightened me, intimidated me, and simply put me off. This is the task of a writer creating something imperfect and partial about something predetermined as sublime. So, coming to the realization that creating a flawless synopsis is out of the question; I shall quote Tyler Durden- "I found freedom. Losing all hope was freedom."

Ok. Now that I've gotten that weight off of my shoulders, I feel free to express my obviously biased views on this transcendental, two-disc mountain of excellence. To put it frankly: this is one intoxicating work of badassery. I do suppose that I should cease my gushing and break it down a bit- y'know - actually review it.

The symphonic and bombastic presentation that Therion are known for is as prominent as ever, yet tweaked by some tasty and theatrical placements of solo-lead vocals (much moreso than ever) and back and forth duets, all the while not excluding the vast choir assault of past releases. This varied approach drastically alters the digestibility of the Therion sound, creating a much more evocative and eclectic ride. This sectioning seems as if it would leave the tracks sounding jagged, yet the flow is seamless. Songwriting skill saves it all from being a jigsaw puzzle of disjointed sub-genres (cough...Epica...cough) as the compositional qualities of this body of individual songs mingle like happy aristocrats at a drunken masquerade; keeping their composure as their established and biting personalities entertain each other. The metal is metal as hell. The gothic textures and moods grip the heart. The classical influences swallow you in imaginative bliss. All of these things work together very, very cohesively.

With the likes of skilled veterans like Mats Levin and Snow Shaw (whose sinister and slicing vocals surprised the living guano out of me) at the vocal forefront, as well as the pleasingly proficient Katarina Lilja and Hannah Holgersson, all topped off with a slew of choir performers, the listener is treated to all types of character voices; the good, the evil, and the beautiful. It's positively pant-wetting.

The instrumentation here is stellar. Some of the most face-melting guitar solos I've ever heard are all over this thing, all the while backed by metronomically precise prog-metal styled drums. Also, no worries about the rest of the arsenal. They leave nothing to be desired. All this, and it's mixed crisp and clear on all fronts! What a banquet.

To conclude this near-pathetic worship, I'll just say that any intelligent metal fan should seek this album. If you do and you don't "get it", I most definitely don't "get" you.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 10

Written by Tristus Scriptor | 20.05.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
Swedish symphonic Thrash masters Therion have had a terrific run since their debut in 1990. From breathtaking live albums to stunning studio efforts, they have done it all. After 2004's double strike of Lemuria and Sirius B and 2006's DVD of the year Celebrators of Becoming, Therion's mastermind Christofer Johnsson comes back with a double-CD release entitled Gothic Kabbalah.

Read more ››
published 17.06.2007 | Comments (26)

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 111 users
21.05.2012 - 15:22
Rating: 10
Vonpire

Nice review man. For me this is also a 10 album.
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
22.05.2012 - 04:01
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Written by Vonpire on 21.05.2012 at 15:22

Nice review man. For me this is also a 10 album.

Thank you. I hardly ever give out tens in every area...but this one- it really has no flaws that I can find.
22.05.2012 - 04:11
JohnDoe
Account deleted
This album is so far from being perfect 10...
22.05.2012 - 04:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Quote:
...any intelligent metal fan should seek this album. If you do and you don't "get it", I most definitely don't "get" you.

I've never understood this mindset. Implying someone is unintelligent because they have a different opinion than you? :/
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.05.2012 - 04:54
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.05.2012 at 04:17

Quote:
...any intelligent metal fan should seek this album. If you do and you don't "get it", I most definitely don't "get" you.

I've never understood this mindset. Implying someone is unintelligent because they have a different opinion than you? :/

Troy, lol, oh Troy. When did I imply lack of intelligence if you didn't "get it"? I said I don't "get" you (if you don't. But any intelligent metal fan should seek it, no matter whether they give it a 7, 10, 9.3...whatever). Checking out a highly rated album is something an intelligent metalhead would do. (BTW, you aren't gonna rile me up, big guy. I know that's kinda your thing on here....seing your comments...but I think you are cool, funny, and a bit douchbaggy all at the same time! Hailz!)
22.05.2012 - 04:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Tristus Scriptor on 22.05.2012 at 04:54
Troy, lol, oh Troy. When did I imply lack of intelligence if you didn't "get it"? I said I don't "get" you (if you don't. But any intelligent metal fan should seek it, no matter whether they give it a 7, 10, 9.3...whatever). Checking out a highly rated album is something an intelligent metalhead would do. (BTW, you aren't gonna rile me up, big guy. I know that's kinda your thing on here....seing your comments...but I think you are cool, funny, and a bit douchbaggy all at the same time! Hailz!)

Chalk it up to misunderstanding. I interpreted the rest of the paragraph as "only intelligent metal fans will get this", basically. Which I felt was kind of elitist and somewhat of an annoyance being that it's kind of a cop-out for people who like something others don't.

(Kind of like someone telling me I don't like Burzum's latest album because I'm not intelligent enough to understand it or whatever.)

Anyway, hopefully you don't think I'm too much of a d-bag. While I do take pleasure in riling people up I also try to help out as much as I can.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.05.2012 - 05:16
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.05.2012 at 04:58

Written by Tristus Scriptor on 22.05.2012 at 04:54

Chalk it up to misunderstanding. I interpreted the rest of the paragraph as "only intelligent metal fans will get this", basically. Which I felt was kind of elitist and somewhat of an annoyance being that it's kind of a cop-out for people who like something others don't.

(Kind of like someone telling me I don't like Burzum's latest album because I'm not intelligent enough to understand it or whatever.)

Anyway, hopefully you don't think I'm too much of a d-bag. While I do take pleasure in riling people up I also try to help out as much as I can.

I don't. That's why I said it playfully. I'm a bit of an ass, myself!
27.05.2012 - 20:05
Rating: 9
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Totally agree. Never get sick of this classic.
28.05.2012 - 03:28
Slyfang

Finally a review of this album I can agree with. one of my favourite albums ever
28.05.2012 - 03:42
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Thank ya!
03.06.2012 - 00:32
Scream8tor

T E N for me too. I never get tired of listening to this album. So creative, diverse and raw. Love it!
03.06.2012 - 10:29
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Written by Scream8tor on 03.06.2012 at 00:32

T E N for me too. I never get tired of listening to this album. So creative, diverse and raw. Love it!

So glad to see like-minded folk on my review!
08.07.2016 - 07:51
Nicko's Nose

This is my favorite Therion album. A 10 from me too.
16.06.2017 - 18:01
Rating: 7
Metren
Dreadrealm
Therion are probably the only symphonic metal band apart from early Nightwish that I really like, but this album was a pretty big step down from their previous releases, still good, but nowhere near as awesome as Lemuria/Serius B or Vovin or Theli. Still, good times...
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/

Hits total: 4710 | This month: 4